its official - natural 6 always hit/wound

Well, they just revealed the new rules of one:

"There are two new Rules of One for matched play games. Firstly, the roll for priority at the beginning of each battle round cannot be modified or re-rolled – if you’re fishing for a double turn, you’re going to have to rely on good old fashioned luck to get it. Secondly, no artefact of power can be taken more than once in the same army and so if you’re using multiple artefacts, you’ll now have to be creative and branch out. With tonnes of new allegiance-specific artefacts available, this shouldn’t be too hard.

AoSGenHandbookBalance_Rules3mae-500x123.

Some of the existing Rules of One have had a few adjustments as well. For example, as well as a roll of 1 always failing to hit or wound, a roll of a 6 will now always succeed. This means that no matter how huge, scary and tough your opponent may be, you’ve always got at least a slim chance to hurt them.*

Not massively keen, though it won't effect me directly!

3 minutes ago, Rhellion said:

How so? If anything it boosts melee more because most minus to hit abilities are shorter range?

Plaguebearers with a -2 to hit used to mean anything hitting on a 5+ couldn't hit them, that's no longer the case under matched play

Just now, RuneBrush said:

Not massively keen, though it won't effect me directly!

Plaguebearers with a -2 to hit used to mean anything hitting on a 5+ couldn't hit them, that's no longer the case under matched play

So, only Plaguebearers? Are there tons of Plaguebearer max size units running around? Maybe we will see more of them with the new horde unit rules and that was taken into consideration when implementing the rules to hit on nat 6's.

I think it is MORE likely that stacking Mourngul with Death abilities and characters for multiple minuses to hit (possibly against multiple targets, not just one) was a worse factor for melee units being hurt by auto misses. But that's just my opinion.

I am more than fine with that.

3 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Wording will need to be clear. Are abilities that trigger on 6+ now triggering on a natural 6 even when modifiers would have negated the possibility of a trigger? 

i dont thin its the case. The new rule says that a roll of 6 will always suceed on hit/wound.  effects that require 6+ still need to have a value of 6 when the trigger resolves.

5 minutes ago, Sadysaneto said:

i dont thin its the case. The new rule says that a roll of 6 will always suceed on hit/wound.  effects that require 6+ still need to have a value of 6 when the trigger resolves.

you're likely correct,  but ... ?

I still won't worry about my horde of plaguebearers all that much. Still have Disgustingly Resilient and the battleshock recoup. If someone wants to dakka my plaguebearers, instead of my daemon prince or blightkings or GUO or...., they are still entirely welcome.

That said, this does fit with what seems to be a core principle in AoS and 40k 8th: everything can die, and it will.

I really like those 2 new rules of 1.

The 5th one (always hitting/wounding on a 6) will make the game more fun and interesting. As much as I like to protect my heroes, it cannot be fun for a player when there is no point charging a unit and engaging in combat as there is 0% chance of putting in a hit.

The one rule of one I was hoping to see doesn't seem to be there though - only being able to stack the same ability once on a unit (for example, avoiding two Lord Castellants to give a Stormcast unit a +2 to save). For the record I don't mind stacking up different abilities (e.g Staunch Defender and Lord Castellant's mystic light).

14 minutes ago, Veillotron said:

I really like those 2 new rules of 1.

The 5th one (always hitting/wounding on a 6) will make the game more fun and interesting. As much as I like to protect my heroes, it cannot be fun for a player when there is no point charging a unit and engaging in combat as there is 0% chance of putting in a hit.

The one rule of one I was hoping to see doesn't seem to be there though - only being able to stack the same ability once on a unit (for example, avoiding two Lord Castellants to give a Stormcast unit a +2 to save). For the record I don't mind stacking up different abilities (e.g Staunch Defender and Lord Castellant's mystic light).

Yeah, it seems odd there's nothing to prevent stacking the same buff, since that's a major thing right now with one of the Khorne buffs and the Khemist for Kharadron Overlords.

40 minutes ago, Trout said:

OK...maybe I'm being a grammar ******, but how is the 4th rule of one, a rule of one?

There may only be one roll for priority per turn?

17 minutes ago, Veillotron said:

I'm a bit surprised by that one as well, but there is the possibility that they might alter one of the previous rules to incorporate prayers and abilities happening more than once. They may also just FAQ the wording in certain rules so that they can keep some abilities stacking and stop others. It's possible they're not worried about stacking abilities at all...

Is there an ability that they'd be trying to protect? I can't think of one, but that would explain the reticence to Rule of One it all out. Or maybe they like that style of gameplay which stacks abilities? It is a bit of an "all your eggs in one basket" approach, which can have drawbacks.

11 minutes ago, Tzaangor Management said:

I'd lean towards GW not worrying about stacking abilities and that the 6's always succeeding and 1's always failing are the rule mechanic that they've chosen to counter the instances of stacking that take the most fun out of the game.

Indeed, that is one way to counter to some degree the multiple stacking...

20 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Spiderfang rejoice! 

We now get allied moonclan grots as allied frontline fodder with fanatics, and spider riders now able to shoot better. 

Where did you see this info?

Archived