Why are Gryph-hound pack points so expensive?

We were discussing this in the Warhammer TV chat last night. Why do 5 Gryph-hounds cost more than 5 Retributors and more than twice as much as 5 flesh hounds of Khorne? I know they have the disengage ability and 3 wounds each but it seems like a lot of points to me.

I don't mind the points for a single Gryph-Hound as they are better as a Loyal Companion and I think that's how they were intended.

i would like to see their points halved or at least the points cost for a pack of 5 halved.

I'd go with their points being high because they are fast (reasonable to expect a 12" run move out of them) and they are difficult to tie down in combat. This makes them ideal objective ninjas in matched play, at least in theory.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

They're bent as ******.

Disposable objective grabbers.
Fast as hell so they can sit in the middle of a gap and divert charges
Fast as hell so they can also sit in the middle of a gap where a Wyldwood can go, crippling sylvaneth.
Fast as hell so they can also push forward and create pockets of space where summoning isn't possible. 
They can even got and bite the ass off a weak unit to contest objectives too. 

Not to mention the bonus shooting ability

Now slightly less bent with the arrival of Blood Tithe points!

I've had great success with multiple solo gryph-hounds and Orion's Hunting Hounds (the same thing with a faster move and no warning screech or darting attacks for half the points) tarting around and blocking enemy moves for my artillery packed dwarf army, even going as far as using two gryph-hounds and three hunting hounds in a 2k list at a recent local tournament I finished second in. They're fantastic fun, especially against normally speedy Destruction armies and the gryph-hounds' darting attacks move isn't to be underestimated for forcing an enemy unit that's charged them to pile in away from your army, or if you roll high enough even tart out of combat to survive another turn.

I've even modelled up some custom hunting hounds to match my dwarfs:

BevFJbB.jpg?1

2 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

I agree with the speed part, but the high points cost means that they aren't disposable at all. 

40 points for an individual three wound model is high, but comparatively low compared to the cost and battlefield application of the speedy unit or character you'd be committing and potentially sacrificing to fill the same role.

My favourite thing about Gryph-Hounds is how their loyal companion rule extends to all Lord Casellants, not just friendly within 3" of the unit they're attacking. Abusive former owner or confused loyalties? You decide.

3 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I've had great success with multiple solo gryph-hounds and Orion's Hunting Hounds (the same thing with a faster move and no warning screech or darting attacks for half the points) tarting around and blocking enemy moves for my artillery packed dwarf army, even going as far as using two gryph-hounds and three hunting hounds in a 2k list at a recent local tournament I finished second in. They're fantastic fun, especially against normally speedy Destruction armies and the gryph-hounds' darting attacks move isn't to be underestimated for forcing an enemy unit that's charged them to pile in away from your army, or if you roll high enough even tart out of combat to survive another turn.

I've even modelled up some custom hunting hounds to match my dwarfs:

I was inspired by your tournament report with those hounds, so found 2 of my old Wood Elf hounds to top up my points in a doubles game at the local club.  This pic is my 20pts of dog diverting 400pts(?) of Mourngul in their last turn when it should have been tearing up the remains of the rest of my army. Note also the 2nd dog in the background, which the skeletons failed to kill and thus prevented them getting objective points and scored us the win!  Maybe a unit of hounds wouldnt work out as effective, but certainly the speed and multiple wounds makes them interesting, would love to try out some Gryphs. 

?ui=2&ik=d64389aa76&view=fimg&th=15b6793dee22c782&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=15b6793d365fd9348241&attbid=ANGjdJ8LE8qPlPRvEZQEEVI6zVKmVnxy7keYvEOzRV6ZNcQiV54ullh3O5Xq9UdUu31kHpP_JugCB37uM_2n1vQa2vqhnwsHZO2TmhllRAQJVEApxc25qeQ05VTL6a8&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1492091645110&rm=15b6793dee22c782&zw&atsh=1

42 minutes ago, stato said:

I was inspired by your tournament report with those hounds, so found 2 of my old Wood Elf hounds to top up my points in a doubles game at the local club.  This pic is my 20pts of dog diverting 400pts(?) of Mourngul in their last turn when it should have been tearing up the remains of the rest of my army. Note also the 2nd dog in the background, which the skeletons failed to kill and thus prevented them getting objective points and scored us the win!  Maybe a unit of hounds wouldnt work out as effective, but certainly the speed and multiple wounds makes them interesting, would love to try out some Gryphs. 

?ui=2&ik=d64389aa76&view=fimg&th=15b6793dee22c782&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=15b6793d365fd9348241&attbid=ANGjdJ8LE8qPlPRvEZQEEVI6zVKmVnxy7keYvEOzRV6ZNcQiV54ullh3O5Xq9UdUu31kHpP_JugCB37uM_2n1vQa2vqhnwsHZO2TmhllRAQJVEApxc25qeQ05VTL6a8&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1492091645110&rm=15b6793dee22c782&zw&atsh=1

Glad you enjoyed my tournament report, thanks for taking the time to read it. :) 

I don't think hounds would work in units, though I'd be quite interested in chaining a largish unit of gryph-hounds to maximise on warmachines able to shoot at deepstriking stuff.

Your pictures won't load, can you try reuploading it? :( 

I think hounds could potentially work in units, but it would be pretty situational. The key is that they all activate at once, which gives you the ability to have them to dish out some attacks and then dart out of combat. Potentially you can use this to pick off enough models to stop your opponent contesting, and then dart out of combat to stop any retaliation. 

For tournament play its probably not that useful, but if your building a list for a specific scenario, it could be quite fun!

6 hours ago, Brian Andrews said:

Why do 5 Gryph-hounds cost more than 5 Retributors

Well, not sure where you're getting that... 5 Gryph-hounds will cost you 200 points, whereas 5 Retributors will cost you 220. However, I can't see them as having the same "value" on the board, so I'll certainly grant you that.

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

Glad you enjoyed my tournament report, thanks for taking the time to read it. :) 

I don't think hounds would work in units, though I'd be quite interested in chaining a largish unit of gryph-hounds to maximise on warmachines able to shoot at deepstriking stuff.

Your pictures won't load, can you try reuploading it? :( 

Opps, i just dragged the image to attach. I've added it to the general gallery so ill post it here again

(apologies if some people are seeing it multiple times, i feel like we might have gone a little Off-Topic LOL!)

large.IMG_4513.JPG.ec8c8f1e97336b17a5036

I think I must be missing something obvious but I couldn't get my head around the discussion on Warhmmer TV last night about the gryph hounds disengaging from combat.

I though the rule was roll one die and move the gryph hounds up to that many inches so the maximum you could run away is 6". However the discussion around the 1 hour mark seemed to imply you could add the die roll to the gryph hounds normal move meaning you can move 15" max when disengaging (the gryph hounds move of 9" plus rolling a 6). Am I missing something or was there a buff going on somewhere?

Heres the link to the vid (I think you'll need a subscription to watch). The discussion is from 1 hour to 1 hour 5 mins.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/135149500

29 minutes ago, AdamJ said:

I think I must be missing something obvious but I couldn't get my head around the discussion on Warhmmer TV last night about the gryph hounds disengaging from combat.

I though the rule was roll one die and move the gryph hounds up to that many inches so the maximum you could run away is 6". However the discussion around the 1 hour mark seemed to imply you could add the die roll to the gryph hounds normal move meaning you can move 15" max when disengaging (the gryph hounds move of 9" plus rolling a 6). Am I missing something or was there a buff going on somewhere?

Full disclosure: I don't have a subscription and cannot watch the video.

That said, the warscroll seems 100% clear that your reading of the rule is the only one that works. "Roll a dice and move each model in the unit up to that many inches" leaves no wiggle room. Your max post-combat move is 6".

@rokapoke thanks for clarifying, I reread that warscroll 10 times thinking I was missing something!

It could be that the guy doing co-commentary got confused or he may have been making a different point. Most likely it's my ears. I've not got the best hearing and there's often a lot of background noise on the Warhammer TV feed making it difficult to catch everything!

I watched the narrative game where he had a unit of Gryph-hounds and I didn't think that they moved that far out of combat. (edit.) I just watched the video back and whilst one of the commentators implied they roll a D6 and add their movement characteristic. they guy playing only moved them the 5 inches he rolled on the D6.

Whilst they can control areas of the board, there are better options for that in a Stormcast army because you can drop any unit from the sky. And Stormcast have plenty of flying units and heroes who can fly. IMO Prosecutors with javelins are better for controlling the space at 3 models for 80 points.

14 minutes ago, Celestant651 said:

I would say though, that 26$ is what they sell 5 for in my GW in NY. Personally, I think that is fine for a high quality unit of fast shock infantry.

I think they're talking about points, the box set itself is priced really nicely and I need to get some for my daughter :)

On 4/16/2017 at 10:57 PM, Carnelian said:

Packs of Gryph-Hounds are not worth 40 points a model but they are worth 40 points each if you run them as individual units. Which is great unless you're up against Khorne!

Essentially this, and where the way the Generals Handbook does points falls down.

You're paying a lot up front because a single gryph hound can do a lot for the army. However, a big pack of them you're not getting the same return on investment as the Warning Cry ability doesn't get to make as much use.

Similar issues fall upon units that get better as they get bigger. You might be overpaying for a smaller unit because a larger unit gets some pretty good abilities.

It's the price paid for simplicity.

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone!

With the GHB 2018, it seems now that the retreat move isn't 1d6 ps anymore, but just up to 6 ps.

What do you all think of this? Does the gryph-hound deserve more to be taken? They still seems expensive (140 pts for 6)...

My impression is that their only major downside is that they have no armour save; that weakens them and means that they've got to be carefully used to make it into combat. I think that one way is to screen/run them near another unit that is more powerful and thus a more attractive target for the enemy. So either way you win - if they go for the hounds or the other target, the other unit makes it through. 

Archived