New citadel tools.

Arkiham

As a follower of khorne I'm ripped. I'm so shredded, my fingers have more muscles than a puny Aelf has on his entire body.

The issue with being so titanically ripped is dropping things, my fingers are just to hench, so I just punch the ground until it forms a mound for me to pick it up.

Well, my fellow suffers of this. We shall suffer no more!

finally! Something we can use to pick up the bits we drop

Citadel have released this ingenious invention for the low low price of £8..

Screenshot_20170325-100653.png

I can't wait for the video of Duncan explaining how to use tweezers... 

I'm usually the GW marketing department's dream, as i assume everything they've done is specifically designed with their miniatures in mind and therefore better than any other off the shelf version, but I just can't imagine what they've done to these to make them worth more than the standard elf version, which probably cost £1.00.

Edit

Wait a minute, just read the post by@swiftmus... I'm still ready to be convinced that these are the best tweezers!

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Indeed April first, how fitting.

On a more serious note I might pick up the saw, that does look helpful. 

Agree, the saw looks like a solid tool and as luck would have it my Junior hacksaw has given up the ghost

Well. I have never bought GW tools. Didn't they just buy them to a third company and put his brand on top? And charge like 5 times the original price?

Like, the Citadel Brushes... all the ones I have bought where... pretty bad. The ones I bought to Army Painter or Winston & Newton where actually cheaper and much much much better.

Usually tools and glues can be found cheaper elsewhere. I have at times given up hunting for cheaper alternatives, simply because I would rather pay a few dollars more in a Warhammer store than run all over the place looking for alternatives. 

20 minutes ago, MKragh said:

Usually tools and glues can be found cheaper elsewhere. I have at times given up hunting for cheaper alternatives, simply because I would rather pay a few dollars more in a Warhammer store than run all over the place looking for alternatives. 

I don't know what it is like in your area, but you can find most tools in any random hardware store (which tend to be more common than a GW store, so usually not much running around ;)). 

Stuff like the driller and brushes are more specialized and might require Citadel plundering your wallet.

Personally, I like the Army Painter. Better for half the price and basically every game store here has some so it's uber convenient.

14 minutes ago, VBS said:

I don't know what it is like in your area, but you can find most tools in any random hardware store (which tend to be more common than a GW store, so usually not much running around ;)). 

Traumatic experience from my time in Japan where I spent several precious hours looking for cheaper static grass on a Saturday, all to save a few dollars. Also, I bought several clippers from hardware stores that did not do a good job before finally spending the extra cash on a pair of Army Painter clippers (they were at least double that of the hardware store ones).

I own the clippers and the drill piece from this range and they are amazing. Much better than the cheap versions I had previously. You pay a premium but you get a great product.

But yes, past GW tools were terrible.

And I would still never buy their glue [emoji23]

Do you think the saw and new knife have the same handle but just come supplied with different heads? If so seems like rampant profiteering that they didn't just pack all the style of heads with one handle and charge a few £ more! If they work like xacto knifes then swapping heads is a 10 second job.

On 03/26/2017 at 11:28 AM, AdamJ said:

Do you think the saw and new knife have the same handle but just come supplied with different heads? If so seems like rampant profiteering that they didn't just pack all the style of heads with one handle and charge a few £ more! If they work like xacto knifes then swapping heads is a 10 second job.

Think that's the case for sure, which means I've ordered the saw and will use my stack of Swann Morton blades if I need to in the handle

On 3/26/2017 at 11:28 AM, AdamJ said:

Mate if those knives got any more expensive, they'd never sell any.

4 hours ago, Lucio said:

Think that's the case for sure, which means I've ordered the saw and will use my stack of Swann Morton blades if I need to in the handle

When the saw blades wear down do you know of any companies which make similar heads?

3 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Mate if those knives got any more expensive, they'd never sell any.

You're quite right. It just doesn't sit well with me that some people will spend £36 thinking the two are a totally separate tool when they could just buy the saw and pick up xacto blades #11 for a few quid from a hobby store. Going by the pictures on the online store it seems GW are even shipping the knife with xacto blades #11!

While the clippers, mold line remover, and drill are solid tools that are worth the cost, I would strongly recommend against the knife and even the saw.

It surprises me to see that some people think this saw is something revolutionary.  Save yourself a lot of money, get yourself a comfortable X-Acto knife handle (or two or more), and buy the knife and saw blades separately.  I've got an X-2000 rubberized knife handle for regular use and a larger handle for saw blades and bigger blades.  You don't need to pay $30 for any of this, it's not in any way different or better than what we've used in the hobby for decades.

I covered some of this in my blog a while back, but basically, for miniatures use, you're generally only going to usually need the #11 triangular blade and the #15 keyhole saw blade.  For heavier work, you really should be using a proper razor saw anyhow.

You can find this stuff at any railroad store, hobby shop, or art supply store. Online you need only search for something like "hobby saw blades" to see the variety of options.  Don't pay $30 for a knife handle that you can get for $5 elsewhere!

Archived