Let's talk about Endless Spells

Aginor

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys 

I've been trying to get an answer to this question but I can't find any offical wording.

is it 1 endless spell cast a turn, or if you know 4 and have 4 wizards can you cast 4 endless spells (1 per wizard) a turn.

I understand that they have to suffer from the rule of 1, but I don't see it saying anywhere that only 1 endless can be cast in a hero phase.

hope what I've asked makes sense!

1 hour ago, Ashtyn said:

Hi guys 

I've been trying to get an answer to this question but I can't find any offical wording.

is it 1 endless spell cast a turn, or if you know 4 and have 4 wizards can you cast 4 endless spells (1 per wizard) a turn.

I understand that they have to suffer from the rule of 1, but I don't see it saying anywhere that only 1 endless can be cast in a hero phase.

hope what I've asked makes sense!

As i understand it:

You can cast each endless spell once per turn. Meaning if you have  mirrors/vortex/gimnid/etc you can cast all of those in the same turn given you ahve enough spells to throw out there.  You can't cast the same one each turn via the normal 1 spell per turn limit. 

Some one else here is also saying  each wizard may only cast one endless spell a turn. This i can't confirm or deny. 

On 6/16/2018 at 8:43 PM, Carnelian said:

Yes please not let's focus again on the non-uses of the spells (i.e. for kharadron) but on the uses for the spells or else we will get bogged down.

All I know is that I'm looking forward to planting the prismatic pallisade in front if my friend's warp lightning cannon that always kills my general. 

Take that Luke!

Some of them are extremely strong and I STILL don't know if dwarf priests or navigators are allowed to dispell them

4 hours ago, stratigo said:

Some of them are extremely strong and I STILL don't know if dwarf priests or navigators are allowed to dispell them

As far as I understood reading the AMA thread, every unit with the wizard keyword can dispel them.

But others who can unbind but aren't wizards, such as a Troglodon or your Navigator cannot.

Same goes for artefacts granting unbinds. They will not work.

Correct @ianob ?

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, Aginor said:

It is hard to tell how big it is. But it looks like it is 160-180mm long or so, and even if it is only 1" high (and if there are no rules that say you can walk through it) then it already blocks movement of slow units well enough to be annoying for the enemy. 

Got a chance to get my hands on the spells last weekend. It's a good 5/6 inches long and probably 2 inches high. I was amazed by how large and how easy to build the spells were.

Anyone else thinking of using the burning head purely as buff for their own stuff? Lots of units out there that would happily tank D3 MW for the chance to re-roll some attacks. 

Or is that just crazy talk?

Depending on how expensive it is, I might use it for my Sword/Board Chaos Warriors - aren't many options for dice mitigation for them, so re-rolls would be luverly...

I like the Cogs. Park a wizard with the Cogs outside of your enemies unbind range and have fun with your melee army moving and charging +2"

Pendulum looks like a safe bet, as it can only travel in one line (back and forth), cast it, get out of it's way and hack your enemies to pieces :D

Also if I understood it correctly, you have to beat the basic casting value (s 5-6-7 in most cases) not the actual cast value. That's actually nice... if you have wizards (poor, poor Khorne...)

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Do abilities that increase your spell casting range effect where you can place the Endless Spells?

Can a Slann use its Arcane Vassal ability to place the Endless Spell around a SKINK HERO instead of itself?

That has been mentioned in one of the preview articles, so yes. :)

3 hours ago, CyderPirate said:

Anyone else thinking of using the burning head purely as buff for their own stuff? Lots of units out there that would happily tank D3 MW for the chance to re-roll some attacks. 

Depending on how expensive it is, I might use it for my Sword/Board Chaos Warriors - aren't many options for dice mitigation for them, so re-rolls would be luverly...

It is crazy talk. :D

....so it is perfect if you play an army that doesn't care about a few wounds, Death for example. Or Nurgle.

I really can't see many people investing in the purple sun. It's a shame, I like it conceptually, and its predecessors in WHFB were old favourites. I think its main purpose, as it stands, will be the MS battleplan where there's a buffed up one in the middle of the board which you control by holding a majority of the objectives in each quarter. That looks like a riot.

As for using the burning head for buffs... I'm not optimistic. The unit has to be wholly within 9", so big hordes that can shrug off the damage might have logistical issues with it, and also, if you have the first turn that round, your opponent will likely move it somewhere that causes you grief. Chaos warriors with shields might really benefit though. Maybe a unit of Khorne-marked warriors backed up by a Deathbringer with a shield and bloodbite axe (2+ wound negation from spells) could follow this thing around all day. 

8 minutes ago, Jgroover said:

Can someone explain this portion of the Suffocating Gravetide to me? I can't for the life of me wrap my head around what it means: 

Capture.JPG.43f20052d795fcb3116ec62c9f5d0662.JPG

Sounds like if you are targeting a unit that is within 1" of the gravetide and behind it in relation to the shooter they get cover.

So I guess the idea is that you move it so it is flush with a shooting unit, then move your own unit up 1 inch behind it to get some cover? I think I understand now. I was reading it wrong and thought it was saying that the shooting unit needed to be closer to the gravetide than the defending unit was to the gravetide. 

Untitled.png.dd0f27affc7333658f7b4f3cd71c423e.png

The shortest distance between the two units has to cross over the grave tide model, and all of the models in the unit being shot at need to be within 1" of it (IE: it is treated exactly the same way as an obstacle, except it provides a reduced chance to be hit by shooting rather than an increased save). 

5 hours ago, Jgroover said:

Untitled.png.dd0f27affc7333658f7b4f3cd71c423e.png

In this example, either the red or blue could be either unit, as all models are within 1", and the grave tide is between them. If the red unit was the shooting unit, and was another 10" away, it would still suffer a -1 penalty to hit the blue unit, which is effectively using the grave tide as cover with a hit penalty instead of improved saves.

13 hours ago, CyderPirate said:

100% I am thinking of that!  Especially because it doesn't specify a phase.  Could be huge for shooting armies.

6 hours ago, Jgroover said:

So I guess the idea is that you move it so it is flush with a shooting unit, then move your own unit up 1 inch behind it to get some cover?

I don't really think I'd recommend doing this, since being that close to a Gravetide seems like a bad idea, but you certainly could.

I think the intention of the rule is just to weaken the spell a little. It has the biggest footprint of the damage-dealing endless spells, so making it give protection to nearby units as if it was an obstacle is a drawback you might have to consider when attacking with it.

Archived