The Army of Siebenbur Castle (Full Pics)

Red Geist

Of all the mortal realms, perhaps the least traveled among them is the place named Ulgu. Shadow magic personified, it is a plane of shifting continents, ominous skies, endless grey crags, and home to demonic fogs. In ancient times, before Chaos ruled over all but Sigmar’s throne, explorers would not deign to venture there. They feared the realm of dread illusion would swallow them whole, or worse face the wrath of a baleful king left over from another world, like the patron god of men.

Through winding valleys and hidden pathways stands a solitary fortress, larger than any like it across the mortal realms. The earth around it is serene and unchanging, but by no means beautiful. The castle stands as an anchor of logic, holding its surroundings in place while violent change and constant misdirection leave the rest of Ulgu an unknowable terror. It is here that a mysterious benefactor took the castle as their own, and sought to fill it with stewards to keep it, and proud knights to defend it.

The master of the castle knew well this King of Shadow, once named Malekith. Long ago, Malekith was a distant blood relative, and also a most hated foe. The benefactor saw the city of stone as an opportunity, a way to garrison many souls in everlasting watch over an old enemy. Any shelter it may provide, any community it may create, any new ideas fostered under its roof, all were secondary to this singular purpose. Not that the benefactor would elucidate this to anyone.

Years after the first settlers were led to its bronze gates, the castle-city is home to outcasts, vagabonds, and wanderers who seek a new order of things away an undesired establishment. This is no collection of pirates and thieves, but rather a flourishing city state governed by those deemed unfit to live amongst other mortals, no matter how noble the intentions in their hearts. From this cradle of sanctuary, the denizens of Castle Siebenbur strike from their home into other realms. Far from heavenly Azyr, the fortress in Ulgu stands as a bastion of Order where no other life would dare to defy the might of Chaos.

--

This is one of my finished armies that has seen action at the Las Vegas Open, Adepticon, and now an event with the Adepticon crew at Midwest Meltdown. I took roughly a year to plan this army through writing fluff, conversion planning, and color scheme studies. I based this army on an examination of the many aspects I enjoy about fantasy in popular culture, particularly Japanese fantasy video games and their color palettes. Not the anime or cel-shaded games, but more visceral titles such as The Last Remnant, Dragon's Dogma, and Dark Souls to name a few. I have been particularly fascinated for a long time with the muted, organic palettes and the focus on nondenominational ornamentation... I could go on and on about why certain aspects of the army look as they do, but putting that all into a single post would take longer than I have in one sitting. So here's some minis to start with, I'll add more with bits of fluff as I go.

No critique necessary. I know what looks bad and why. I have learned from what I rushed in this army and improved greatly in my upcoming Celestial Vindicators force. This army was rushed to completion, and nothing will change that, but it is certainly my most narrative driven army and that is what makes it beyond impressive and special in my opinion. It's not bad on the table either, I came in the top third of players at Adepticon 2017 with this lot.

LordonGriffon.png

GrailKnights1.png

Dracoths2.png

Liberators.png

Princess1.png

No critique offered here dude!  Great looking army, I'd love to see more of the fluff.  The little independent kingdoms/city states of humans seemed like such an interesting concept when AoS first came out.  I've been a bit let down we haven't seen anything new for mortal men yet.  Any plans on expanding?

Thanks for the kind words! As for the gold, I only use the Games Workshop Stormcast Eternals tutorials on this sort of gold. The key is to go back and keep prodding the recesses with washes of agrax and/or fleshshade as desired. Not done posting yet! Here's more...

--

A City, a Circus

No one faction has complete control over the city, power is shared unwillingly, and peace maintained only by a shared sense of decency and a plethora of mighty foes that seek to annihilate all that is good in the mortal realms.

The monastic Stormcast Eternals that turned away from Sigmar brood and ponder the cosmos in Bonfire Keep at the farthest reaches of the castle walls, or at least most of them do. Those who could not remember the grandeur of their former lives created their own, and now attempt to hold power over the mortal masses as a mockery of an aristocracy. A noblewoman, who fled to the Castle in exile from Azyr, has been raised to the title of Madam Governor by her knights and the people. Her surrogate uncle who came with her forged a company of lawmen and protectors, who double as mercenaries abroad. They earn coin in all sorts of work so that wealth may flow back to the great city. Greater still are the number of cartographers, who explore and map the realms for both personal and public profit.

Perhaps the strangest of all are the knights in strange armor, this scarlet-bound sisterhood whom practice religions most peculiar. Together these factions mingle in ways not seen anywhere else; creating as much tension as there is curiosity. To understand it entirely, one must travel to back to the origins of life within its walls, and examine events as they unfolded.

MistweaverSaih.png

GrailKnights2.png

Judicators.png

Executioners.png

Freeguild2.png

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Hey, nice army concept. Really like the Sisters of Silence that fit really nice into AoS.

The only strange thing is the hat that the Judicator in the middle of the group wears.

It's the same hat worn by the Liberator Prime and one of the Concussors. Just doesn't have extra feathers.

Thanks for all of the comments people!

10 hours ago, Kramer said:

Did you sculpt the hooded helmets on the sisters/great swords?

I think he used heads of wildwood rangers.

Hm, think I will make some of those guys ... err ... girls for my own project. I created an order that prays to Allarielle but the monastery or multiple of them got destroyed by chaos, and such models would look good as some sort of paladin class or warrior nuns. Need some more population for my continents ;)

10 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

I think he used heads of wildwood rangers.

Hm, think I will make some of those guys ... err ... girls for my own project. I created an order that prays to Allarielle but the monastery or multiple of them got destroyed by chaos, and such models would look good as some sort of paladin class or warrior nuns. Need some more population for my continents ;)

thanks! 

Haha they've been on my list for quite some time as well. But I see some sweet slaanesh chosen in them. 

Gorgeous painting, detailed background, and seamless conversions, all in the one army?!?! You are my hero!

Seriously, this is fantastic stuff. It's particularly impressive that you've managed to make so many different models from so many different armies look like a visually cohesive force.

Also, that Stormcast with an empire hat and hair is just about the creepiest AoS model I've seen... looks like he has a skull for a face xD

Archived