lets chat threads

has it been discussed about perhaps pinning these more popular subjects. maybe make a few so it covers most of the main factions. duradin, Alef, beastmen, seraphon, slaves to darkness

this site is a massive help towards new players and old, and these subjects do good to help these people contribute on the site, towards new ideas, asking and answering questions, sharing lists etc. it's a good centralising point for new members/starters to work out from.

Any thoughts?

I have to confess to not really understanding the point of 'let's chat' threads. If you have something about a faction that you want to discuss, make a thread about that. Is the forum in and of itself not sufficient invitation to chat without the need to have a thread with a cutesy name and no specific purpose for each faction?

1 hour ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I have to confess to not really understanding the point of 'let's chat' threads. If you have something about a faction that you want to discuss, make a thread about that. Is the forum in and of itself not sufficient invitation to chat without the need to have a thread with a cutesy name and no specific purpose for each faction?

Multiple repeated threads about weather or not weapon choice a is better than b for instance is clutter and some times hard to find due to title wording or the lack of keyword usage,

I found that lets chat discussions often followed a linear discussion, which would be multiple threads doing it the other way, 

It's good for chat about that specific faction, rather than that specific topic.

In essence they are chat rooms/functions for a broad range if things, but more specific than  say chaos.

Due to the lack of " chat room " function I feel they're a good thing. 

Otherwise, they wouldn't be so popular 

2 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Multiple repeated threads about weather or not weapon choice a is better than b for instance is clutter and some times hard to find due to title wording or the lack of keyword usage,

Do 'let's chat' threads really stop that happening, or do they just create another thread for that same topic to be raised and discussed yet again? Aren't the sort of people who don't search to see if their topic has already been posted the same kind of people who are going to go ahead and create a new thread anyway, regardless of whether there's a 'let's chat' thread?

If the mods actively merged this sort of stuff into the 'let's chat' threads I guess I could sort of see their value, but then you have the opposite problem to forum clutter - not being able to find what you're looking for amongst 20+ pages of merged faction babble.

Just now, Arkiham said:

Otherwise, they wouldn't be so popular 

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I think people get a kick out of being the one to start the 'let's chat' thread for X faction or Y faction. They like seeing their avatar at the top of what stands a reasonably good chance of becoming a busy thread. It makes them feel like they're contributing to the community (which perhaps they are).

It's starting to feel like there's a 'let's chat' thread for everything. 'Let's Chat Kharadron Overlords'. 'Let's Chat Duardin'. 'Let's Chat Diminutive Bearded Folk In General'. 'Let's Chat Loincloths'.

Yes, I'm very cynical about them as you can see! We didn't need none of this 'let's chat' nonsense back in my day. Grumble, grumble.... 

Id say let them float around, if they are popular enough players will use them.

Having massive topics is both a blessing and a boon. Because new players might feel inclined to read 15+ pages before contributing, which isn't always helpful.

Everybody should be capable to make and post what they like, even if it's covered before, such is the life of forums :) (and the game even!)

They were called 'Tactics' or 'Tactica' threads back in the day. I know I started one for Skaven and Kharadron Overlords because I'm planning to go back through and index good information. I feel they are really, really good reads. I even read the ones for armies I don't play just to glean information.

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

They were called 'Tactics' or 'Tactica' threads back in the day. I know I started one for Skaven and Kharadron Overlords because I'm planning to go back through and index good information. I feel they are really, really good reads. I even read the ones for armies I don't play just to glean information.

I like those a lot too, helps to keep things seperate aswell, kinda like a blog-like topic. Also applies for reviews and such.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I think people get a kick out of being the one to start the 'let's chat' thread for X faction or Y faction. They like seeing their avatar at the top of what stands a reasonably good chance of becoming a busy thread.

Yep.

Never underestimate peoples' desire to feel important,  especially in a hobby where many participants have traditionally been awkward, socially inept, marginalized,  and/or shy until they found it.

Ego is really powerful.

Which reminds me, could actors in plays please just wave once and leave the stage?  Sheesh! ☺

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I think people get a kick out of being the one to start the 'let's chat' thread for X faction or Y faction. They like seeing their avatar at the top of what stands a reasonably good chance of becoming a busy thread. It makes them feel like they're contributing to the community (which perhaps they are). 

I can understand that.

I've started a few as no one else did an i like to read and discuss various things.

Personally I enjoy chatting warhammer, and starting a thread or writing a post feels more like writting a letter than having a casual conversaion with a friend.

it's why I've started to drift towards various whatsapp groups, it's less formal.

The let's chat threads feel like a good inbetween 

I think the regular chat is a good in between. However I'm also the type of poster who can go on and on on several subjects, making the topics so big and detailed that you really don't want to see the topic go offtopic (for example, how to make cards for the game functional and for example not make Pokemon cards with Age of Sigmar art on them). 
Repeated questions and processes are just as much part of life as they are of forums. While it's great that some contribute to a 15+ page topic, I also believe that there is a functional property to have topics be focused on 1 detail and not 1 whole faction (for example).

I like the lets chat topics, however I'm also not against WFB related topics, 40K topics or topics that have nothing to do with the narrative, such as going deeper into rules design. Trying to cover all that into one 'readable' topic is just very hard to do.

As a result I think the Lets chat topics are perfect for casual talk, things like in depth strategy discussions however are much more difficult to do in those topics because in order to functionally do that you need to know what lists we are talking about, what his/her expected meta is and if that player allready has the lists completed or is open for any input etc.
In short it's very easy to miss details and lose the quality of a chat in massive topics. While sometimes quality is exactly what a player wants to talk about.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Yep.

Never underestimate peoples' desire to feel important,  especially in a hobby where many participants have traditionally been awkward, socially inept, marginalized,  and/or shy until they found it.

Ego is really powerful.

Which reminds me, could actors in plays please just wave once and leave the stage?  Sheesh! ☺

Oh my god. What with all of this sarcasm and negativity? If someone want to make a Lets Chat: X thread let him. Is really important? What is worst, the guy that try to have his second of attention, or people that worry about something that irrelevant?

TGA is not a place to be cynical and sarcastic, guys :D 

The lets chat threads are awesome, and I'm a huge fan of them. There's definitely less clutter with the lets chat threads about. 

They do often lead to break out threads which is awesome, when subjects come up in the "lets chat" that people want to discuss in greater detail. I literally don't see a downside to them!

I don't think they really need to be pinned though to be honest, while they are relevant they stay near the top of their respective sub forums, and there's a weird phenomenon that I've noticed during my long time on the internet, in that when threads are pinned, they often see interaction and activity drop off! This is probably mostly in part due to the users who just skip past all the pinned stuff and go straight into the normal discussion.

Personally I think the Let's Chat threads are a good way to chat about one specific portion of a grand alliance or similar.  I'd be apprehensive about having them pinned as I don't think they're a good place for a newer player to start - they're stuffed full of differing opinions, potentially out of date facts and it's not uncommon for them to go completely off the beaten track.

If I'm honest once they hit 15+ pages long they're actually only viable for people who are active throughout the chat - anybody who joins after that point is likely to go over old ground unless they've spend a chunk of time reading everything before hand.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Personally I think the Let's Chat threads are a good way to chat about one specific portion of a grand alliance or similar.  I'd be apprehensive about having them pinned as I don't think they're a good place for a newer player to start - they're stuffed full of differing opinions, potentially out of date facts and it's not uncommon for them to go completely off the beaten track.

If I'm honest once they hit 15+ pages long they're actually only viable for people who are active throughout the chat - anybody who joins after that point is likely to go over old ground unless they've spend a chunk of time reading everything before hand.

Nailed it. In short; they are fun/useful, but do become unwieldy. No need to pin.

I'll be starting a new "Competitive Ironjawz" thread (similar in style to "Let's chat") when the GH2 comes out, otherwise the first 34+ pages will cease to be relevant....

Ahhhh....who am I kidding, certainly not @Jamie the Jasper or @Sleboda....clearly I'm just jealous that it's @Malakithe's avatar on the existing topic and not my gorgeous face! :x

Soz, I'll go back to being awkward, socially inept, marginalized, and/or shy IRL B| xxx

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Ahhhh....who am I kidding, certainly not @Jamie the Jasper or @Sleboda....clearly I'm just jealous that it's @Malakithe's avatar on the existing topic and not my gorgeous face! :x

I did say I was being cynical! I like being cynical. The world is so full of joy and hope right now that I feel I have a duty to balance it out. :)

I did say I was being cynical! I like being cynical. The world is so full of joy and hope right now that I feel I have a duty to balance it out. :)

Honestly mate, after that Crypt Horror you tweeted, you can say literally anything you like as far as I'm concerned; you're golden!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived