Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

I know this has been spoken about before but I didn't get the sense there was any official word on it-

For moving the Wheel of Corruption- if I used a spell to move it to Rampant Disease- does that activate in the same hero phase? It says "Start of Hero Phase" so I imagine it doesn't? You'd need to move to Nauseous Revulsion with the spell and then wait till the next turn for it to move to Rampant Disease?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Yeah you need to move it to 5 so that next phase it takes effect at the start.

Cool, seems reasonable, thanks!

Regarding the command trait that allows you to move it forward or back one space- that is the beginning of the hero phase- so could you move it back to activate rampant disease two turns in a row?

16 hours ago, GreenFly said:

30x Chaos Marauders Horsemen

-axes and javelines, mark of Nurgle

Love the idea !

Aren't you supposed to use the Javelines in Shooting and Combat Phase ?  ("Some units instead carry Marauder Javelins which they can hurl at the foe and use as spears in close combat.")

Is it easy to manoeuvre as a 30 cavalry bases unit ?

28 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Cool, seems reasonable, thanks!

Regarding the command trait that allows you to move it forward or back one space- that is the beginning of the hero phase- so could you move it back to activate rampant disease two turns in a row?

Any ability that is triggered at the "start of the hero phase" can be performed in any order as long as they are performed before abilities that happen "in the hero phase." So things like the cycle of corruption, and grandfathers blessing can both be activated. So let's take an example. The cycle is on stage 6 from the previous turn. It's your turn and the wheel moves to 7, and you heal some units. You than use grandfathers blessing (which happens at the start of your hero phase) to move the wheel back to 6 and use rampant disease..because it's still the start of the hero phase. Once you cast a spell or use the bligjtkings virulent discharge ability (both happen "in the hero phase and not the start) it's no longer the start of the hero phase. You could then use foul regenisis to set the cycle to another stage. Say you set it back to 7...nothing would happen since it is not the start of the hero phase. You could set it to 5 for the defensive buff and than hit next turn it would move to 6!

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Any ability that is triggered at the "start of the hero phase" can be performed in any order as long as they are performed before abilities that happen "in the hero phase." So things like the cycle of corruption, and grandfathers blessing can both be activated. So let's take an example. The cycle is on stage 6 from the previous turn. It's your turn and the wheel moves to 7, and you heal some units. You than use grandfathers blessing (which happens at the start of your hero phase) to move the wheel back to 6 and use rampant disease..because it's still the start of the hero phase. Once you cast a spell or use the bligjtkings virulent discharge ability (both happen "in the hero phase and not the start) it's no longer the start of the hero phase. You could then use foul regenisis to set the cycle to another stage. Say you set it back to 7...nothing would happen since it is not the start of the hero phase. You could set it to 5 for the defensive buff and than hit next turn it would move to 6!

Thanks. That makes perfect sense, but GW seem unable to make things like this crystal clear sometimes. Being used to reading rules for board games which are always very clear, GW rules are sometimes frustratingly unclear in some regards. It makes sense if you think of it as phases within the hero phase, thanks!

It makes me think they should publish a revised/updated rulesheet, perhaps in GH18, that includes all of these little nuances, and matched play specific rules in it, and all the FAQ content too. The FAQ is now so large and so much of it is elemental, i feel like the core rulesheet is almost useless now. 

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

Thanks. That makes perfect sense, but GW seem unable to make things like this crystal clear sometimes. Being used to reading rules for board games which are always very clear, GW rules are sometimes frustratingly unclear in some regards. It makes sense if you think of it as phases within the hero phase, thanks!

It makes me think they should publish a revised/updated rulesheet, perhaps in GH18, that includes all of these little nuances, and matched play specific rules in it, and all the FAQ content too. The FAQ is now so large and so much of it is elemental, i feel like the core rulesheet is almost useless now. 

My explanation is not stated anywhere. It's not official in any way.  I really am "guessing" and justifying my interpretation. If I have 4 abilities that all trigger at "the start or beginning of the hero phase" I would assume it's not GW intention to have me chose one and lose out on the other 3. 

The rules seem vague..but every word is intentional. So very subtle nuanaces like "in range of any.." vs in range of a..." is HUGE. It means a unit would only be affected by one X effect vs could be affected by several X effects. I look at the feculant gnarlmaw's sickening blossoms rule. Where even if an enemy is within 3" of 10 trees, they can only be affected by one sickening blossoms roll. (Which I think is a poor choice on part of the rules writers...but that's a different discussion!!!)

9 hours ago, Peegee said:

Aren't you supposed to use the Javelines in Shooting and Combat Phase ?  ("Some units instead carry Marauder Javelins which they can hurl at the foe and use as spears in close combat.")

Is it easy to manoeuvre as a 30 cavalry bases unit ?

Yes, i use Javelines in shooting (missile weapon profile) and combat (melee weapon profile), what the problem? 

It is not very easy to manoeuvre this unit, but charge and shooting after retreat ability helps very much. It difficult to control, but tough and pretty killy roster. 

15 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

My explanation is not stated anywhere. It's not official in any way.  I really am "guessing" and justifying my interpretation. If I have 4 abilities that all trigger at "the start or beginning of the hero phase" I would assume it's not GW intention to have me chose one and lose out on the other 3. 

The rules seem vague..but every word is intentional. So very subtle nuanaces like "in range of any.." vs in range of a..." is HUGE. It means a unit would only be affected by one X effect vs could be affected by several X effects. I look at the feculant gnarlmaw's sickening blossoms rule. Where even if an enemy is within 3" of 10 trees, they can only be affected by one sickening blossoms roll. (Which I think is a poor choice on part of the rules writers...but that's a different discussion!!!)

True, but there are strange omissions, like (I think ironjawz megaboss?) command ability "at the start of the combat phase" whereas other abilities will say either "at the start of any combat phase" or "at the start of your combat phase", so it's clear if it activated on every players turn or just your turn. That seems needlessly obtuse to me.

12 hours ago, GreenFly said:

Yes, i use Javelines in shooting (missile weapon profile) and combat (melee weapon profile), what the problem? 

It's because I read that in your loadout : "axes and javelines" ... was wondering how you manage to have both ^^

3 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

True, but there are strange omissions, like (I think ironjawz megaboss?) command ability "at the start of the combat phase" whereas other abilities will say either "at the start of any combat phase" or "at the start of your combat phase", so it's clear if it activated on every players turn or just your turn. That seems needlessly obtuse to me.

Well It depends on the wording! NOTICE the feculant gnarlmaws wording for sickness blossoms again. It says "in THE hero phase" not "your hero phase" so the ability triggers even in your opponents. The use of the words "the" and "any" are synonymous in your example. 

People were going ape over the netters in units of moonclan I remember because it says "a few models in this unit may be netters" And people were like well EVERY got can be a netter as they didnt say how many.. no your donkey..a few is literally 3..as in the definition of few is three. 

10 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Indeed. Guess I kinda overlooked them for Nurgle. They were always a part of my Fatesworn lists. How did I not think of this?O.o

The models... I mean 30 Marauder Horsemen in functionality is good. But then thinking of all the awesome Blightkings and Plaguebearers and/or GUO you could have painted instead makes me never really go into stuff like that. Which isn't to say many StD tricks and combinations don't excist, but they require (in my opinion) extensive converting to look cool enough.

35 minutes ago, Killax said:

The models... I mean 30 Marauder Horsemen in functionality is good. But then thinking of all the awesome Blightkings and Plaguebearers and/or GUO you could have painted instead makes me never really go into stuff like that. Which isn't to say many StD tricks and combinations don't excist, but they require (in my opinion) extensive converting to look cool enough.

If we talk about models, Blightkings still core of Mortal Nurgle army. And i dont like daemons, my favorites are Mortals (KURGAN! NORSCA!). Also, mortals looks stronger in competitive play than daemons, in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, GreenFly said:

If we talk about models, Blightkings still core of Mortal Nurgle army. And i dont like daemons, my favorites are Mortals (KURGAN! NORSCA!). Also, mortals looks stronger in competitive play than daemons, in my opinion.

I disagree, I think both are not as strong as possible when missing components from the other. I don't think you'll ever see a competitive list without a 30-man Bearer unit and not many without a GUO

Since Papa Nurgle has blessed us with a new battletome, and I have all the minis, what do you think about this list?

On paper it's looks good, great general (GUO is a great centerpiece in both gaming and painting), the obligatory big blob of plaguebearers, some blightkings, blades of putrefaction sorcerer, big bomb of drones and daemon prince... and nurglings, cause I like them :x

Would love some opinions about it, thanks in advance.

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath 
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Daemon Prince of Nurgle (160)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
3 x Nurglings (100)
3 x Nurglings (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 159

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Well It depends on the wording! NOTICE the feculant gnarlmaws wording for sickness blossoms again. It says "in THE hero phase" not "your hero phase" so the ability triggers even in your opponents. The use of the words "the" and "any" are synonymous in your example. 

People were going ape over the netters in units of moonclan I remember because it says "a few models in this unit may be netters" And people were like well EVERY got can be a netter as they didnt say how many.. no your donkey..a few is literally 3..as in the definition of few is three. 

I've been playing the gnarlmaws effect only in my hero phase!

23 hours ago, Killax said:

I have soooo many marauders from the old WFB days. I don't bother customizing my std stuff too much with the exception of knights and warriors. My take on marauders is that they are just normal dudes who are fighting because they've been pressed into service to provide bodies. Most die. Some advance to the next 'stage' i.e. warriors, knights etc. 

Eventually, if they really excel, they attain demonhoodB|

22 hours ago, Garxia said:

Since Papa Nurgle has blessed us with a new battletome, and I have all the minis, what do you think about this list?

On paper it's looks good, great general (GUO is a great centerpiece in both gaming and painting), the obligatory big blob of plaguebearers, some blightkings, blades of putrefaction sorcerer, big bomb of drones and daemon prince... and nurglings, cause I like them :x

Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Sorcerer (120)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
3 x Nurglings (100)
3 x Nurglings (100)

Looks like a strong, fun list, Personally, I'd drop the nurslings in favor of gut rot or a big unit of marauders, but that's just me. Have fun.:D

On 2/9/2018 at 4:30 PM, Garxia said:

Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Sorcerer (120)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
3 x Nurglings (100)
3 x Nurglings (100)

I've been thinking similarly. 2 things I'm pondering as I paint up a bunch of stuff very slowly are:

1) Sorcerer. The entire core of any and all damage (for the  most part) is the drones with blades. That sorcerer is target prio 1 for the enemy and isn't so durable.

2) The demon prince. Kind of a similar thing. Rather weak as a locus. But I'm open to having my mind changed there.  I was considering having the GUO gallop along with them as the locus (or taking horticulus for a bonus tree).

A final note - I'd probably just take 1 unit of nurglings and maybe another sorcerer with blades.

Archived