Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

So, I just received a gift of a pair of Blightlords and a Horticulous, mainly to feed my painting hobby.  So far in in AOS, I have been working on a Death list, but I'm stuck waiting for a restock.  So, I'm here to make some Chaos!

I already have a large stock of Circa 1995 Skaven and Chaos to fill in the list, but I want to leave room to paint new stuff too.  The exploding marauders from a few pages back is just the kind of trouble I like, so I'm starting there.   I'm also grabbing Lord of Afflictions so I can switch over to Affliction Cyst if I like the models.  

Here's the list I plan on painting:

Lord of Afflictions (220)
- General
Sorcerer (120)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
Horticulous Slimux (220)
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 (35) x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Flails
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000

I like adding a surprise Gnarlmaw mid field for that Blightlord 14" + "fly, run & charge."  I'm assuming from other lists I read, I will be able to paint up a few of these and leave one off the board.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Injuryprone said:

If the harbinger isn't your general there is no reason to take him.

There is, actually.   Same list, swap general.  I wasn't able to find many reviews of LoA, so I plan to test both.  Both are satisfactory for painting.  One will probably be shelved.

53 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I'm at adepticon nurgle bros!! Lots of nurgle here! I'm 3-0 with three major victories so far. 53/54 points! Hoping to keep doing well tomorrow for the final two games.

Way to go!!!!

hope you're having a blast,

Sure you're busy, but we'd love some reports from the field!

Keep up the good work!

11 hours ago, grungolah said:

So, I just received a gift of a pair of Blightlords and a Horticulous, mainly to feed my painting hobby.  So far in in AOS, I have been working on a Death list, but I'm stuck waiting for a restock.  So, I'm here to make some Chaos!

I already have a large stock of Circa 1995 Skaven and Chaos to fill in the list, but I want to leave room to paint new stuff too.  The exploding marauders from a few pages back is just the kind of trouble I like, so I'm starting there.   I'm also grabbing Lord of Afflictions so I can switch over to Affliction Cyst if I like the models.  

Here's the list I plan on painting:

Lord of Afflictions (220)
- General
Sorcerer (120)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
Horticulous Slimux (220)
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 (35) x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Flails
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000

I like adding a surprise Gnarlmaw mid field for that Blightlord 14" + "fly, run & charge."  I'm assuming from other lists I read, I will be able to paint up a few of these and leave one off the board.

Swap blight lords into a unit of 4,so all mortals are in plaguetouched 

Don't try affliction cyst, setting up away all your army (since 3 units, loa and battalion cost 1100 at least) and not using command ability of loa on the first turn since they can't move in it its really awful 

If u want to try Loa as general just play a unit of 4 models 2 mage for buffing it and try some first turn mega run and charge deepstrike with blades of putrefaction mistich shield supported by the hero reroll on the second turn (since he don't have the the mov buff, use rustfang since lords have less rend they needed

If u want to try risky things general trait for +2 move and charge to go in help on the reroll buff first turn and on loa engage

3 hours ago, shadowgra said:

Great!!

What's your list?

I will do a brief synopsis after it’s all done! Just wanted to toss out a quick update. Also let me repeat there is a lot of Nurgle here. Probably outnumbers stormcast and tzeentch from what I’ve seen. 

50 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I will do a brief synopsis after it’s all done! Just wanted to toss out a quick update. Also let me repeat there is a lot of Nurgle here. Probably outnumbers stormcast and tzeentch from what I’ve seen. 

Cool, cool. Eager to read the report.

Hey all, I'm part of a great campaign locally and I'm trying to find a 750 point list that is thematic and cool, not really worried about competitiveness as I'm more of a painter and themed army kinda guy. I'd like to focus primarily on the mortal side, like rotbringers and what not. Do you recommend maurauders for bodies? If so, do maurauders count as allies since they're slaves to darkness? Any list ideas would be great, I picked up the lord of blights and really love the rotbringer sorcerer model so I might snag that too.

44 minutes ago, TrippG11 said:

Hey all, I'm part of a great campaign locally and I'm trying to find a 750 point list that is thematic and cool, not really worried about competitiveness as I'm more of a painter and themed army kinda guy. I'd like to focus primarily on the mortal side, like rotbringers and what not. Do you recommend maurauders for bodies? If so, do maurauders count as allies since they're slaves to darkness? Any list ideas would be great, I picked up the lord of blights and really love the rotbringer sorcerer model so I might snag that too.

Marauders are not allies since they can take the Nurgle mark and thus have the Nurgle keyword.  You could do the LoB, Sorcerer, and 3x5 blightkings.

Going to play in a 1000 point tourney in April. Was thinking about maybe

Great Unclean One

-Endless Gift

Gutrot Spume 

3x5 Blight Kings

I like the idea of this list but I don’t know how successful it would be.

I could drop the GUO though and add a Harbinger and another unit of Blightkings.

Thoughts?

MY ADEPTICON JOURNEY

https://t.co/raTR7J7mGZ <—- Final results

my list: 

glotkin (general, blades of putrefaction)

chaos sorcerer lord (magnificent buboe) artifact: carrion dirge

plage preist with plage censer censer 

gutrot spume

10 blightkings

5 blightkings

5 blightkings

28 marauders

14 chaos warriors

1990/2000

I used wither on the plague preist to cast it on my OWN UNITS to trigger the mortal wound kickback on 5+. It targets A UNIT and adds 1 to wound rolls. So not specifically an enemy unit. 

30th/165 Battle points (solely based on gameplay) 

38th/165 overall (60% gameplay, 20% paint score and 20% sportsmanship) 

46/50 paint score 

35/40 sportsmanship 

Top 30 is a MAJOR accomplishment for me!!!!!!! That’s top 20% ! 

First game was against legion of azghor. My opponent was amazing. Sons of Slambo gaming group. So much fun. I was nervous as I didn’t know anything about them. Mission was starstrike. He had 2 magma cannons, 2 demon engines, 30 chaos dwarves (? Maybe some more) 6 bull centaurs, drazghoth (bull centaur general) and a wizard on a flaming flying bull (forget the name).

I targeted the 4 artillery pieces deployed together as a must kill. I ran the marauders up to susicide bomb/mortal wound bomb them. Either was fine with me. Gutrot came in off the edge near the artillery to engage the artillery using a squad of chaos dwarves as a “charge slingshot”. I listed the centaurs around a big terrain feature, Stalled then with the warriors and then hammered with glotkin when they were weak and debuffed. Major win 17/18. Missed 1/2 points on the teritiary objectives

—————————————————————

Second game was against a Nurgle demon army. Mission was three places of power. He ran a Great unclean one and rotigus, 30 plague bearers,  10 blade kings, six plague drones, and a unit of hell striders as allies, and rotbringer sorcerer with blades.

Once he found out the blades was moot against My plague touched war band, was a sad panda. No drone bomb.  I was able to bottle him up in the middle by running the marauders and Warriors street at his unit of 30 plague bearers which were situated between two deadly terrain features. I targeted my own marauders  with wither from the rat priest against a wall of plagueboys. He was so “scared” of this he chose not to attack for three turns while I just sat there slapping him for three turns. GUO was stuck behind them. Drones got bogged down with a unit of 5 kings, until they died and I fed him another unit of 5 kings. Glotkin and chaos sorcerer held objectives for a few turns. Major win 18/18

————————————————————

Third game and last of the day was against another Nurgle army. Mission was knife to the heart. This was a mortal Nurgle army. GUO(bell and blade) rotigus, sorcerer with blades, sorcerer with blades, 40 marauders, 40 marauders, 40 marauders, 40 monks, 40 monks. ? 200 models. 

I gave him first turn and he ran 80 marauders in my face to gain ground and push firmly objective. He failed a couple of short charges as I licked my chops. Bugged my maruaders with double attacks, doible wounds and blades, and the +1 to hit. Gutrot came in with 10 kings on my own side 9” away from another marauder group (his monks were a “second wave”). Destroyed them both. Moves up and advanced with the army. I boxed him out of charging 40 monks into glotkin using a gnarlmaw in between two big terrain features. Plugged the gaps with warriors. Was pretty proud of myself. The combination Of -1 from plaguetouched and glotkins -1 to hit based on bravery and carrion dirge on sorcer lord was making all the rats hit on 6s. He kinda rage quit at the end of turn 4 and I majored. 18/18. 

End of day one. Back later with the last two games .

Ok so day two I’m nervous. Add on top of that  we played on the twitch stream!! 

Played scorched earth against bloodhound. He had brass stampede, jugger-lord, slaughter priest x3, bloodsecrator, bloodstoker,  5 blood warriors, 10 reavers, 3x 3 skull crushers, 2 khorgoraths, 3 khorgoraths.

i made a couple crucial errors that my brilliant opponent both recognized and took advantage of. I took first turn which is out of character for me. I didn’t want to seize ground on this mission to fast hard charging army. So I rushed the maruaders yo..which he charged and murdered next turn.  I double backed with the warriors to try to compensate, but needed them somewhere else and that’s the story of this game. My opponent out maneuvered me, and simply out played me. I was able to prevent him from burning my objectives with blocking him with clever positioning and gnarlmaws but lost on kill points. Glotkin died and that was a huge chunk of kill points. Straight up. Minor loss. Onl 4/18. It was a lot closer than the score appeared. 

You can find the game on twitch if you like! Making it up to table two on a twitch stream at adepticon was awesome!

—————————————————————

Last game! Fire players on blood and glory. Ughhhh 100+ dwarves. I didn’t want to advance and let him tunnel up on my objectives. And then risk a double turn. So I let him go first. He tunneled up in front of me with auric heatheguard and vulkite berserkers. Between the double saves and the massive number of bodies I wasn’t able to control all four objectives. Glotkin got harpooned by a couple token arkanuaght company and the aurics. My mind was still on the last game to be honest. Ended up with another minor loss and 8/18. I wasn’t very disappointed with my performance on the second day.. burn proud of it over all and feel blessed by the opportunity to be on twitch. Friends and family who had no real clue about warhammer watched. It was a thrill. 

Thanks for those who read this far. Not trying to dominate the conversation here or be “me me me” just wanted to share a quick snynopisis of my games while it’s fresh in my mind from a Nurgle perspective. Thanks for your time!!!

36 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Thanks for those who read this far. Not trying to dominate the conversation here or be “me me me” just wanted to share a quick snynopisis of my games while it’s fresh in my mind from a Nurgle perspective. Thanks for your time!!!

Great to read about your games and experience, so thank you!

Also huge congratulations you did amazingly well done!! 

I know you agonised a lot about the list that you took with you; reflecting now is there anything you would have changed about it

7 hours ago, Kibrakhan said:

Going to play in a 1000 point tourney in April. Was thinking about maybe

Great Unclean One

-Endless Gift

Gutrot Spume 

3x5 Blight Kings

I like the idea of this list but I don’t know how successful it would be.

I could drop the GUO though and add a Harbinger and another unit of Blightkings.

Thoughts?

GUO cannot use his command ability on mortal units, only daemons, so it's useless in this list. A harbinger and more blightkings would be great, but you lack any speed at all, save for the deep striking Gutrot. Might be worth taking 3 drones or some chaos knights? It may also be worth changing the blightkings to 2x10 instead of 4x5 so you can have an easier time of staying near the harbinger for the 5+ save. 

@sal4m4nd3r : Looks like you had a great time! I was there for the one day team tournament [didn't do so well, alas]. I was really happy to see the big turnout for AoS and in particular how many Nurgle  armies were there. We finished 99 in the team and ran a mono Tzeentch list..... really wish I'd have brought my Nurgle demons. Oh well, there's next year.

Are you going to be at the Brew City Bash?  Maybe I'll be able to get a close up look at that army of yours.

6 hours ago, Locien83 said:

I know you agonised a lot about the list that you took with you; reflecting now is there anything you would have changed about it

Yes. I would have brought the poxbringer and rotbringer sorcerer instead of the chaos sorcerer lord and rat priest. The wither gimmick was really only a deterrent to attack whatever unit that had it. Most of the time they simply directed those attacks elsewhere. Only in the second game did he chose not to attack with that plagueboi block for like 3 turns. But I REALLY languished not being about the move the wheel. Demonic power is good, but I think I may have been able to get better use out of a more variety of spells. 

1 hour ago, Tasman said:

@sal4m4nd3r : Looks like you had a great time! I was there for the one day team tournament [didn't do so well, alas]. I was really happy to see the big turnout for AoS and in particular how many Nurgle  armies were there. We finished 99 in the team and ran a mono Tzeentch list..... really wish I'd have brought my Nurgle demons. Oh well, there's next year.

Are you going to be at the Brew City Bash?  Maybe I'll be able to get a close up look at that army of yours.

There was some gamey lists in the team tournament! I thought it was supposed to be more of a fun laid back event but There were some hard lists for sure! Lots of crazy combinations. I think the only other tournament I will be going to is NOVA. And only because I like 10 mins way ?  

Thanks for the kind words all. I’m still languishing my performance on Sunday. The loss to bloodhound on twitch stream was deserved. My opponent was mike Scaletti and he is really just a really really smart player. But losing to the dwarves because I was still focused on that loss is bugging me. I needed to forget about it and focus and I didn’t. 

The CRITICAL mistake was charging in glotkin to early. Bottom one I charged him in along with the warriors, and ten bloghtkings. I underestimated the auric guard shooting!!

8 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Great read.  Neat the plague monk de-buffing own marauders trick paid-off a few times. That was  a very clever find.  And it sounds like Glottkin held its own. That seemed to be a concern going in with no real mortal wound defense. 

congrats.

22 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Thanks for the kind words all. I’m still languishing my performance on Sunday. The loss to bloodhound on twitch stream was deserved. My opponent was mike Scaletti and he is really just a really really smart player. But losing to the dwarves because I was still focused on that loss is bugging me. I needed to forget about it and focus and I didn’t. 

Good job on your tourney! I'm the same as you, I replay past battles too much in my head,  taking too much time to move on, trying to figure out if it was just plain luck (or lack of) or a real misplay. 

I'm still happy to see Glottkin's able to hold his own.

I have to admit, my 3 days straight-back-to-back-gaming-session-without-kids  against the new Dark Elves, the new Death and Sylvaneth made me lose faith a bit in Nurgle's abilities as an army. Their synergies are crazy good, they pack a lot of punch (40 skellies are a real deal for deathrattles!) and the army goal is pretty straightforward.

Dark elves particulary, 10 littles girls with knives for 100 points, killed my Glottkin in one charge, while I can barely kill Morathi in 4 turns. Because of really bad dice rolls, I concur, (but still after over 10 games statistics should pay off), it felt like the highlights of the Nurgle's book is to be a pinata that counter with pillows full of dove's feathers, for those who would be allergic to regular feathers. 

After much thought, it seems the lack of rend on most of our heavy hitting troop is what make the dice game a tricky battle to get out off. My opponents were really lucky with their save, so even a fully buffed 5 drone units (2+ attacks, blades) couldnt even destroy their Avatar on a chariot with 4+ 6++, but when the chariot hit back with 4 attacks at 4 damage each, combined with the rest of his profile, he completely decimated my drone unit.

I've compared point values each time, and  I'm just not sure anymore why our troops/batallion cost so much compared to them, with what they bring to the table. My opponents arent afraid of anything nurgle I throw at them, while I know I cant let that chariot hit me head on, or Spirit of Durthu, or Grave guard (man those guys hits like beasts on 6 to wound, and regen so much wound per turn it's crazy).

So I guess where I am going with this rambling is, what exactly makes the oomph in your army or scares your opponent the most?

Games Workshop wont make money on pusgoyles with me, that's for sure (and it's a shame!), but I want to expand and the only real option I see is to spam blight kings and use Blight Cyst to circumvent our weakness, but it's not a playstyle I enjoy that much and would prefer diversity, and also because it would be a shame to put my Glottkin on the sideline.

I'll go watch those twitch!

Archived