Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

3 hours ago, Turragor said:

One more question on the bile blade - it's your hero phase so you choose the order of things right? So at full 16 wounds you can use the bile blade (can't negate it with ward save) and sit on 15, but then you also heal d3 after right?

It may say at the 'start of your hero phase' which could complicate things. The 'start' and 'end' being almost like an extra mini-phase is a bit weird.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Turragor said:

One more question on the bile blade - it's your hero phase so you choose the order of things right? So at full 16 wounds you can use the bile blade (can't negate it with ward save) and sit on 15, but then you also heal d3 after right?

This is probably not intended. 

5 minutes ago, Injuryprone said:

This is probably not intended. 

Who knows...The Corpulent Mass ability just says "In your hero phase, you can heal...", and the Putrid Offering ability says "If this model has a Bileblade and attempts to cast or unbind a spell, you can..."

So as it is written in the Battletome, I cannot see why you cannot cast a spell first, or two rather, and use the Putrid Offering ability only to use the Corpulent Mass ability after the casting is done.

5 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

Who knows...The Corpulent Mass ability just says "In your hero phase, you can heal...", and the Putrid Offering ability says "If this model has a Bileblade and attempts to cast or unbind a spell, you can..."

So as it is written in the Battletome, I cannot see why you cannot cast a spell first, or two rather, and use the Putrid Offering ability only to use the Corpulent Mass ability after the casting is done.

It just seems like why even inflict a mortal if you can immediately heal it back up.

Just now, Injuryprone said:

It just seems like why even inflict a mortal if you can immediately heal it back up.

Well, it heals a D3, and you can inflict two wounds with the Putrid Offering, so  you're not guaranteed to heal back to full, plus most importantly you then cannot heal other wounds that you might already have been given.

It's still less wounds you can heal no matter how you look at it, but of course were already at 16 and heal back to full, it has no real impact.

9 hours ago, Killax said:

Well it only works for the GUO, but the prime reason for me to skip the Bileblade is because as a non-Nurgle player I would instantly stop seeing it as a massive issue piece. Everytime a GUO hurts itself it's one step closer to death in my eyes. So not only is the Nurgle player playing a dangerous game there it basically sets the GUO up to be killed. Which is something I just don't like too much.

E.g. a WoK Bloodthirster can't kill a fully healed GUO by itself when general, with Artefact etc. But the moment that GUO would drop to 14 wounds things become vastly different. Plus it all occurs before your opponent has to make all the choices so even when you hurt yourself and still get spells unbound you can get punished. If there was more reason for Nurgle to have high cast results, maby, but there isn't other than for harder to unbind purposes.

Factor in the Tome without much downsides and I think it's not only saver but keeps the GUO as a relevant beatstick, which is near impossible to kill and can actually use his Pestilent Breath without the fear of oppossing models rolling him up completely. 

However as said, there is good internal balance, the choice is certainly there. Magic is important but I feel the Bileblade isn't needed the moment you hold a cheaper sorcerer in the back that can play with the Cycle. Which then kills oppossing support characters that most of the time are doing the unbinding. It should cascade to a point where GUO doesn't need the Blade at all.

Keep in mind that the flail wound rolls gets worse as he takes damage but the bileblade stays at a flat 4+ I think the bileblade as more to offer than the flail in almost every circumstance. I just dont see why you wouldnt ever take the bell/blade combo. More damage? If you want your GUO to be a beatstick for 160 more points take the EGUO and deal out way way more damage in both phases.

4 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Keep in mind that the flail wound rolls gets worse as he takes damage but the bileblade stays at a flat 4+ I think the bileblade as more to offer than the flail in almost every circumstance. I just dont see why you wouldnt ever take the bell/blade combo. More damage? If you want your GUO to be a beatstick for 160 more points take the EGUO and deal out way way more damage in both phases.

Rend and 2 damage are kept. Works for me.

All the fun stuff you can get for 160 is fine and mighty. 

But play the blade if you dont mind a GUO to be removed.

58 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

Yeah though ofc unbinding would be your opponents phase so no heal. 

25 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Yeah though ofc unbinding would be your opponents phase so no heal. 

You can absolutely heal the wound taken from putrid offering..why is this even a question?

53 minutes ago, Killax said:

Rend and 2 damage are kept. Works for me.

All the fun stuff you can get for 160 is fine and mighty. 

But play the blade if you dont mind a GUO to be removed.

I really don't get how losing 1 damage and keeping a consistent wound roll will make my GUO die any faster..?  But ok. I will take a free +1 to cast on a unit that can cast 2 spells a turn

Bileblade is still the better option imho. Casting affliction on a 3+ is insane.

Anyway if you really want more punch go all in with sword and flail, at least with +1 attack you can inflict quite a lot of damage.

I can see the argument for autolosing wounds but guys we are Nurgle, we have a ton of healing. Festus, guo can self, wheel, virulent discharge, poxbringer and horticulus, plague wind. I think that is enough healing to bypass one or two autoinflicted wounds.

24 minutes ago, smucreo said:

As I understand it: you auto inflict a wound on yourself to get the +1, you heal with the d3, and then you keep the +1 until your next hero phase. What's the confusion?

Thats not how it works. Link: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG-Great-unclean-one.pdf

You want to cast? Before doing that, inflict one to add 1, regardless of outcome. Which leads to 1 damage per spell if used. 1 damage per Unbind attempt if used.
Yes you heal D3, in your hero phase.

As before, anyone should feel free to cut away at the model, do it at your own choice. Using Festus or Cycle for healing isn't my priority plan but certainly feel free to do so ;) Pretty much reminds me of the Glottkin debate a few pages ago. Self inflicting damage in practice isn't something I favour. It sounds neat on paper and in practice the Bell wielding GUO will go forwards, also because of Command Trait reasons and suddenly can find itself being the weakest link.

21 minutes ago, smucreo said:

As I understand it: you auto inflict a wound on yourself to get the +1, you heal with the d3, and then you keep the +1 until your next hero phase. What's the confusion?

No, you do not gain +1 until your next hero phase. The rule states that you can use it when you attempt to cast or unbind, and that 'you can then add 1 to the casting or unbinding roll'.

So, 1 wound = +1 to one roll. You can potentially deal 4 wounds to yourself, as it would be 2 for casting and 2 for unbinding.

4 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

No, you do not gain +1 until your next hero phase. The rule states that you can use it when you attempt to cast or unbind, and that 'you can then add 1 to the casting or unbinding roll'.

So, 1 wound = +1 to one roll. You can potentially deal 4 wounds to yourself, as it would be 2 for casting and 2 for unbinding.

Yep, this is correct. Can a GUO dispel two spells? Neat. This leads to a funny image of him just going to town on his gut with his knife, laughing and flinging gross all over. 

Yeah, it feels like the options for the GUO are pretty balanced (mayybe not the bell - it feels automatically the best in all cases - but jesus the sword looks good).

I like that the bileblade gives you the option to boost an unbind or casting roll if you feel that is really crucial (you don't have to use it at all, but then it was a bit pointless to lose damage by not taking the flail).

This was a list i was think of. How could it be improved as i really want to use Glottkin. 

1500 pts 

Glottkin -420pts

Harbringer (general) - 160pts

- Character Trait: Hideous Visage 

- artifact Rustfang

Lord of Blights -140pts

- artifact Carrion Dirge 

Sorcerer - 120pts

3 X 5 blight kings - 480pts

chaos chariot -80pts

- mark of nurgle

Blight Cyst -220

Has anybody thought much about Bloodletter allies?

Glotkin can Fleshy Abundance and BoP them. With their native boost to-hit they cause two MWs 1/3 of the time, and Fleshy Abundance practically doubles their durability, which tends to be their big weakness. 

If you want to get mean you can even bring a Bloodsecrator at 2k just to buff them to 2 attacks a piece!

@Killax tbh it’s a little unclear whether you make the sacrifice before or after rolling. Saying that though in the game I’ve used it, I made the sacrifice then rolled. Clarity on the issue will be provided in time. 

I do agree that it’s a risky move, and inflicting damage on yourself isn’t ideal. Taking the endless gift may be a good answer however. 

I’ve not yet decided what I prefer, only more games will reveal the truth. Which coincides with my 2018 hobby goals: 2-4 games a month :D 

1 hour ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

@Killax tbh it’s a little unclear whether you make the sacrifice before or after rolling. Saying that though in the game I’ve used it, I made the sacrifice then rolled. Clarity on the issue will be provided in time. 

I do agree that it’s a risky move, and inflicting damage on yourself isn’t ideal. Taking the endless gift may be a good answer however. 

I’ve not yet decided what I prefer, only more games will reveal the truth. Which coincides with my 2018 hobby goals: 2-4 games a month :D 

Re reading it, it does seem unclear if you have to give the offering before you roll... interesting...

2 hours ago, FRoper said:

This was a list i was think of. How could it be improved as i really want to use Glottkin. 

1500 pts 

Glottkin -420pts

Harbringer (general) - 160pts

- Character Trait: Hideous Visage 

- artifact Rustfang

Lord of Blights -140pts

- artifact Carrion Dirge 

Sorcerer - 120pts

3 X 5 blight kings - 480pts

chaos chariot -80pts

- mark of nurgle

Blight Cyst -220

This is 1620 points. Looks like you could drop the sorc to make it legal. 

Nodoby see this combo??!

Glotking with "Blades of putrefaction" spell + 40 marauders...

Marauders have the barbarian hordes skill + dammed icon (+1 to hit and reroll ones). Glotking give him +1 wound with his spell and +1 atack with his commans hability.

Then you have 40 marauders with 2 wouds and 2 atacks, hitting on 3+ and causing mortal wounds on 5+.... Is really hardcore cause 40 marauders are 200 points!

Archived