*Renamed* Hobby Terminology Pet Peeves *Off Topic*

Turragor

Agreed I dislike when people call them Sigmarines it's very negative especially when I first started playing AOS (1 year ago).

I also dislike when people drag old world stuff into AoS. Not the models but the lore

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate when people ask questions, etc., regarding summoning points. Rather than use the actually-defined terminology (which then fully clarifies how the points apply), people assume it only refers to summoning and develop incorrect ideas to match. They're reinforcement points and apply to any new units you set up during the game!

2 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

I'm intrigued by this comment, could you clarify?

Do you mean reinventing / reimagining Old World concepts and races to fit AoS, or more literal copy-and-paste?

I guess when people want the characters or lore brought over to AOS. You see this a lot with the Aelves and talking about characters (I am not familiar with old world) and how they should continue what they were doing in the Mortal Realms

On 23/03/2017 at 7:07 PM, HeadHunter said:

My other pet peeve is the inability to delete duplicate posts. :D

This unfortunately might be my fault... I accidently deleted a whole event thread once and Ben took the delete option away.., :) Sorry! 

#notsorry

I really don't like people saying "fluff", "fluffy" and "flavour text" instead or lore, story, thematic and narrative - because they basically totally diminish the setting, and the "suspension of disbelief". But on the flip side I hate when people make jokes about which Primark is best etc because I have no idea what they're on about - I just like the game and the toys!

Also, somebody said "raped" at my local GW and I wanted to be sick - if it had been one of my students I would have kicked them out of class, but I didn't want to make a scene in the local store - he's a nice chap otherwise. Maybe the managers should put up a "code of conduct" on the wall like cons do now.

Also people should watch the ableist language for dwarfs, overlords, squats etc - I've heard stunties and probably worse. Also "Elves are [homophobic word]". Basically burn the community to the ground is what I'm saying ;)

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

I really don't like people saying "fluff", "fluffy" and "flavour text" instead or lore, story, thematic and narrative - because they basically totally diminish the setting, and the "suspension of disbelief". But on the flip side I hate when people make jokes about which Primark is best etc because I have no idea what they're on about - I just like the game and the toys!

Every time somebody says fluff a kitten dies...  (this comes from a panel of Black Library authors :P)

20 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

The don't like "Ward Saves" or most WFBisms for AoS rules. AoS isn't WFB 9th ed and it's a misconception that I believe is the cause of a lot of misinterpretation of the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I run into this one all the time, especially when teaching the WFB players AoS. Even did it wrong myself for a while :)

28 minutes ago, Iain said:

Also people should watch the ableist language for dwarfs, overlords, squats etc - I've heard stunties and probably worse. Also "Elves are [homophobic word]". Basically burn the community to the ground is what I'm saying ;)

Can you explain me what its the problem with Stunties? Isn't that how Orcs call the Dwarfs? I'm not a native English speaker, so if Stunties has another peyorative meaning in real life I'm not aware of it!

Aye, and Orks using stunties goes way back to the 1980/90s (I remember reading the stories around then) and so pre-dates the more PC movement of the current day. It's a weird one because it's less obviously harmful than calling Elves prancing or  etc, or a number of derogatory terms, but could still obviously seen as ableist. Also worth noting that, contextually, Ork are awful, so it at least fits with their character. The amount of coded language the community uses with regards to "girly" and stuff like that is still ridiculous, saw a post where some guy said that"his wife would kill him" for the kit he'd recently bought and was kinda surprised at the responses.  

Edit: i keep getting hit by the filter by accident

The word "Stunties" comes from various books and stories when Orcs referred to Dwarves.  There's quite a few common words used to describe different races - Long Shanks, Green Skin's, Beardlings, etc.  Most of these are Old World references but I'm pretty sure we'll have AoS ones.

The important thing is to keep it in a "game environment" and not apply it in a derogative manner.

I think with "stunties" because it used to be canonical, it's going to be hard to shift. I highly doubt any AoS book will use it. There's probably a GW social media manager pulling their hair out every time they post new overlords stuff and the community are like "yay stunties!"

On the flipside of things we don't like: I weirdly like Orruks as a name quite a lot. I know "ORKS ORKS ORKS" is a lot more football hooligan-y, but given the look of the modern orruks, I find the idea of them chanting "oRUKS oRUKS oRUKS" a bit more intimidating. There's something about the extra emphasis you can get from contrasting that second syllable against the first. 

That's actually the funny part - going from Orc to Orruk is actually dipping back in the Tolkien well for another drink, not moving away, the way Aelf and Duardin move away.  I was listening to LotR audiobooks recently, and there are many call-outs to uruks and other similarly pronounced words.

54 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

That's actually the funny part - going from Orc to Orruk is actually dipping back in the Tolkien well for another drink, not moving away, the way Aelf and Duardin move away.  I was listening to LotR audiobooks recently, and there are many call-outs to uruks and other similarly pronounced words.

Hmm Aelfs is close still.

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drúedain

Not dwarves, but like dwarves.

Archived