Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine this paint scheme rules is just them describing how each of the 6 named sky ports have a different colour scheme and a different big battalion like stormcast, Beastclaws, bonesplittaz and sylvaneth do... nothing to get her up about really

5 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Why? 

Go fasta red was neat! I still have an unopened pot of it. 

Actually, yea, that was pretty fun.

I think the overall issue is that I may want to have my own color scheme that isn't tied to any rule, because it's what I like, but I still want to use the rules that fit my play style also.

Generally people won't usually care.

I know I went into it in detail in another thread, but in brief -
We are already limited by shape, so why not color? 
Is just another visual identifier that immediately links the model on the table to a set of rules.

Because for many of us the hobby is in weaving a narrative through our choice of colour. Though I don't think this rule would be enforced too much I get no pleasure from playing someone else idea of an army

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

Because for many of us the hobby is in weaving a narrative through our choice of colour. Though I don't think this rule would be enforced too much I get no pleasure from playing someone else idea of an army

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who's preventing you from choosing whatever color you like?  Is the issue "Narrative", or "optimization"?

@Chikout thanks for posting, I know I'm trying to get a feel for the perspective. Right now I'm thinking about how I'm going to transport these around, but using a more creative perspective. I'm thinking of buying a small trunk or treasure chest, magnetizing it as well as lining it with foam. I'm probably going to cut the front and put hinges on it so it can be opened and used as a display board as well. 

Here's a neat idea/example:

f11680af06bcbf65089755753ce60ed1.jpg

I'm kind of torn about the colors representing different factions, the more I ponder it. I love all aspects of the hobby, so I don't want to be pigeon holed into having to paint in a certain scheme if I like the rules flavor they have. I also don't want to be 'TFG' showing up with special rules but a different paint scheme. I originally though I was going to go for a black and yellow paint scheme with lots of metal paying homage to House Greyjoy and naming my fleet The Iron Kraken. Then once I actually saw the pictures, I totally envisioned the Yamato from Starblazers and started to think about a grey/red/metal scheme. I can't make a decision yet, I'll decide once it gets here and we have more info.

37 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Is just another visual identifier that immediately links the model on the table to a set of rules.

When that day come, you better sell me the miniatures prepainted and prebuild, because I'm not gonna pay to make other people (Or GW official) army.

6 minutes ago, roberto said:

Who's preventing you from choosing whatever color you like?  Is the issue "Narrative", or "optimization"?

For instance I am going to paint mine in a scheme I see fit. If I then intend to use a battalion that requires a certain colour scheme I will just advise my opponent first before the match. I don't think the rules will be enforced at a competitive tournament and if they are I think it will be boycotted until they are not. I cant imagine many people will enjoy being forced to paint a certain way to play what they want to. 

as for who is preventing me, its saying that unless i paint a certain colour I cant play a battalion rule I like. This is different to space marine chapters when they are separate armies with a range of models that reflects it.

5 minutes ago, Dez said:

I'm kind of torn about the colors representing different factions, the more I ponder it. I love all aspects of the hobby, so I don't want to be pigeon holed into having to paint in a certain scheme if I like the rules flavor they have. I also don't want to be 'TFG' showing up with special rules but a different paint scheme. I originally though I was going to go for a black and yellow paint scheme with lots of metal paying homage to House Greyjoy and naming my fleet The Iron Kraken. Then once I actually saw the pictures, I totally envisioned the Yamato from Starblazers and started to think about a grey/red/metal scheme. I can't make a decision yet, I'll decide once it gets here and we have more info.

I'm toying with the idea of painting them to look like stone.  Mostly because it's visually ironic, and an homage to halcyon days of old.

Then, I'll choose the optimal formation for them, cause...narrative is important.

5 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

For instance I am going to paint mine in a scheme I see fit. If I then intend to use a battalion that requires a certain colour scheme I will just advise my opponent first before the match. I don't think the rules will be enforced at a competitive tournament and if they are I think it will be boycotted until they are not. I cant imagine many people will enjoy being forced to paint a certain way to play what they want to. 

I understand, and agree.  My question is,  what drives the battalion choice?

Just now, roberto said:

I understand, and agree.  My question is,  what drives the battalion choice?

I would like to say play style however if it is an overpowered or undercosted battalion then that will likely be the main reason. To be honest I rarely play battalions, however I don't like the idea of not having the choice because i like making themed armies. 

But again, I really cant see it being enforced anywhere

53 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I personally don't play tournaments as I currently find can't the time, but I do listen to the podcasts about them.

i think recently one of them was saying that one/some of the larger uk ones require a unified army colour scheme, which I think for table top display is a good thing. But if I have to paint my models a certain way to get rules for them that will very quickly limit the grand alliance order, for example, options if I wish to attend an event.

I have not delved into the other thread but I feel like some of the thinking is backwards. GW went to the trouble of trouble of thinking up themes, background and paint schemes for a selection of subfactions. They want to give these factions some cool rules to differentiate them. So if you want to play as one of these factions you get to use these rules. The easiest way to show which faction you are playing is with the paint scheme. There were rules for the different knightly orders back in the day (including ones that did not have specific minis). I don't see how this is any different.

53 minutes ago, Galas said:

When that day come, you better sell me the miniatures prepainted and prebuild, because I'm not gonna pay to make other people (Or GW official) army.

Would you show up with bows on a crossbow unit and expect to use the rules for crossbows? Or toy store sea horses and use them as terradons? Or a cannon and play it as an organ gun?

Maybe, but when your opponent looks at your models, he or she has, I believe, a right to expect the visual to match the rules the visuals are representing.  It's why we use models at all instead of tokens or pieces of paper with descriptions.

Folks can do what they want in the hobby, of course, but I think the onus is on each of us to not let our desired forms override the function of the model. 

This was discussed in detail in other thread so I'm not gonna go offtopic.

But this its not a Yes or No thing. WYSIWYG its not a objetive truth, he has the meaning the TO or the community want. To me, paintjob=rules its a line I don't think we should cross. If my opponent expect my red army to have red rules I'll tell them that my red army has blue rules (Rules that I don't expect to be more than a small bonus or small variation) . If they are adults I think they can handle that.

But thats just my opinion.

"why are your XYZ duardin not painted like they should be."

"The mortal realms are vast and infinite. They got lost in a realm gate and repainted their ships to represent their division from the central fleet, now let's roll some dice."

I also believe this only has so much relevancy to this topic. There are threads to expand on this elsewhere. 

Archived