Which Armies in a New Starter Set?

hobgoblinclub

I was ridiculously excited when we got the 'leak' of the Lords of Light & Champions of Change Starter Set last week. When it was revealed as a fake I visibly deflated. 

It certainly made me realise I really want to collect both Tzeentch and Stormcast next year. Since then I've been trying to think if there's any other armies I'd rather see together but I can't. With the exception of possibility duardin, I think the two armies in the fake genuinely represent my ideal combo of choice. 

What about you? If we see a new Starter Set, which armies would you like to see in there?

Also - what might the choice of units look like? 

I mentioned it in another topic but 'shadowkin' are set for a release next year, guessing that they are dark elves? Cant remember where I saw the rumour so cant back it up unfortunately.

As unlikely as it is I would love to see a Chaos Dwarves 'Start collecting' followed by an introduction of plastic casts of the minis. It is an army i really like the look of but have always felt priced out of collecting.

I cant stand stormcast personally, their fluff and personality does nothing for me, although I imagine they will get plenty of releases due to being the poster child and a popular army amongst many players. I imagine they could easily have a new start collecting box for a chapter specific side?

Also I would like to see a return for Tomb kings and think a starter set would be a great way to get them back in. 

11 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

I mentioned it in another topic but 'shadowkin' are set for a release next year, guessing that they are dark elves? Cant remember where I saw the rumour so cant back it up unfortunately.

After seeing what they did with the Tenebrael Shard I wouldn't mind some new aelf models coming out either. But it looks like more worthless dwarves are probably up next for Aos.

26 minutes ago, Nico said:

Completely new Death faction and Tzeentch.

How can you possibly want more Stormcast? They were a competitive army even before the Dracoths and Stardrakes rocked up.

It's not competitive I'm thinking about. Just want cool minis. It'd be great to see some Stormcast models come out that are Stormhost specific. 

If we're getting (as the rumours suggest) duardin and Tzeentch early on next year, I'd be amazed if we don't get a Death faction before the end of the year.

I don't necessarily would like to see a "new" faction as much as I would like for GW to develop current factions more. For example: Deathrattle - a super awesome faction that totally deserve their own book, a few new units (like bone giant). Same thing goes for Gutbusters, more actual Aelves, etc. These concepts and models are very much not obsolete. They have so much potential and just need to get a new battletome, repacking and a few new models to each faction. I guess tho, there is not enough money in that. Shame.

in sense of starter set - I agree with Norman. Some old Norse (skyrim) idea is a great concept for Deathrattle.

Gutbuster's - the possibilites are endless with this faction imo. So many have already converted armies to Empire style ogres, Japanese samurai, etc.

Mainly I think Death needs more presence in this world.

19 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I'd be amazed if we don't get a Death faction before the end of the year.

I'd really hope so. You can't really run a death army without running cross-faction lists, plus wouldn't mind one of the death factions getting one of the *new* Battle tomes.

I want to see a starter with Skaven and Ironjawz. What? We're wish listing here, those are my armies!

I'm really excited for new Dwarfs though. I loved the Dwarves of Tirn-Na-Bor from Confrontation. Meteors of the Aegis were my favorite!

6 minutes ago, Dez said:

I want to see a starter with Skaven and Ironjawz. What? We're wish listing here, those are my armies!

I'm really excited for new Dwarfs though. I loved the Dwarves of Tirn-Na-Bor from Confrontation. Meteors of the Aegis were my favorite!

yes, YES and YUS. 

Mostly more green gitz though. 

A new starter set would be a great way to push 2 new factions and help grow the game. I'll be much happier when we get elves,dwarves and classic undead back with the new battletome treatment as their lack is a big failing of Age of Sigmar in my books. I don't know enough Age of Sigmar lore to know if there's a pre-existing conflict to justify elves or dwarves vs death but I'm sure they could theme a narrative. If GW wanted to stick with the Order vs Chaos theme for starter sets then Duardin vs Tzeentch followed by Aelves vs Slaanesh would seem quite on the nose for me.

I think if GW did Shadow Aelves vs Light Aelves and a new series of campaign books it would sell like hot cakes. It would be like the Heresy of AoS. It's an amazing feat by GW really. In just a year they have built up a massive anticipation around the return of the Aelves.

1 hour ago, David Clarke said:

I'll be much happier when we get elves,dwarves and classic undead back with the new battletome treatment as their lack is a big failing of Age of Sigmar in my books.

And humans and skaven. It just shows how much the types of armies have shifted in AoS that we're nearly 18 months in and still missing all of these Warhammer staples. 

24 minutes ago, bottle said:

I think if GW did Shadow Aelves vs Light Aelves and a new series of campaign books it would sell like hot cakes. It would be like the Heresy of AoS. It's an amazing feat by GW really. In just a year they have built up a massive anticipation around the return of the Aelves.

Indeed. I've not bought any elves since 4th Edition and I'm eyeing up the Mistweaver more and more. 

They have the Space Marines featuring in the starter boxes alot so it wouldnt be unusual for AOS to have its flagship army in the next. I agree that we dont need any more warscrolls for the SC just yet. But some unique sculptures for existing ones.

TBH i thought the leaked fake looked ideal.

We have seen a tease for the steamheads & the Tzeentch stuff is flying around all over the place in 40k so i cant see it staying out of AOS for long.

I wouldnt expect to see a starter set that dosent feature one of those two or the existing AOS exclusive armies anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Aryann said:

Month ago I'd say Sylvaneth vs anything. Right now I would be more than happy to know that Duardin vs new Grots are having their starter set. Almost certainly I'd take Light Elves vs dark elves if such appear.

An elf off might work. I know all elves have been packed into Order in AoS but that may be because we're getting something meaner than dark elves. 

I think it'd be cool to see aelfs which have succumbed to the seductive power of Slaanesh. 'Host of Slaanesh' is deliberately vague enough to encompass any race, including sexy, lobster clawed aelfs. 

Slaanesh aelfs vs a masked Mistweaver faction would look cool.

the return of tomb kings! in an necron-esque way, more "godlike" if you will: with heavier armour and cold, gold-plated masks that stares with an unholy gaze of eternal afterlife that spreads fear into the hearts of even the bravest.. or something like that

Archived