1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

I took that more as the organizational aspect of the design, not anything kit/aesthetic wise? Like how the command structure shakes out and probably how leaders can deploy commands

Considering we're getting an analogue to Ogryn auxiliaries i'd say in the structure of the army and probably the lore to some extent(putting emphasis on the "common man against all the horrors of the realms" and many regiments/organizations of the cities).

That fake rumour got me thinking. It has been debunked, but I sort of want to go back to it for 2 reasons it shows pretty well we're kinda desperate for new rumours after WHFest, and I believe that even in this fake, there's stuff worth discussing. So, without further-a-do, welcome to The Lost Sigmarite's Dawnbringer forecast. This is not a rumour dump, I just want to take a look at what we currently know about the new Cities range, centralise all known rumours in one place, and look at what could be considered likely, and what could be considered less likely. 
Let's start with the confirmed stuff shall we ?

So far, in this territory, we have :
- Freeguild Guards
- Freeguild Fusiliers
- Freeguild Cavaliers
- Freeguild Marshal
- Fusil-Major on Ogor Warhulk
- Battletome : Cities of Sigmar
- Undamaged Azyrite buidings scenery

We're here in GW confirmed territory. All of this has been seen in some way, shape or form on Community. It's not much full now, so let's move on to the next entry : unconfirmed stuff, but that you can safely say is guaranteed to be present at release :

- Limited edition battletome
- Faction dice
- Warscroll cards

- Army set

Every big AoS release has had this. CoS would be no different isn't it ? And just like every big release the army set will be gone in a few minutes on the website. But I digress. Time to go to the next category : unconfirmed, but very likely (like 95+% likely) to be an actual real kit on release. This is either backed by 3D renders shown by GW and/or Whitefang hints. Here, I would put :

- Bombard
- War altar of Sigmar centerpiece model

The bombard and ogres (ogres confirmed ! They move up a category !) are based on a Whitefang reply on this thread. The other 2 are based on 3D renders that correlate with Whitefang image teases on the main rumour thread. The war altar, I think, is very likely given the theme of the army. And every AoS army needs its big centerpiece to draw the players' money ! 
Ok, now we enter the next tier : unconfirmed but likely (like 75%-ish likely) : now I'm gonna examine each entry individually, it'll be better :

- "Flagellants" : again those guys pop up frequently in rumours, and they have the benefit of fitting the theme of the army : and Warhammer has always been known to feature a lot of religious nutjobs. 
- "Freeguild great weapon infantry" : we've seen unresolved 3D renders of 2 handed weapons. And apart from the "2 handed weapons elite" being a Warhammer classic, some players will want something that allows them to proxy their greatswords. 

Congrats, you've made it this far ! We are now in the realm of educated guesses. Here nothing is confirmed. It's just wild guesses, based on tropes in AoS ranges and classic Warhammer unit roles.

- Mounted commander/named mounted commander. Ok this one is I think a bit more of a stretch since it happens less often now. But AoS has a trend of doing this kinds of kits. Lord-Regent/Lyrior, Akhelian King/Volturnos, Liege/Zandtos, Chaos Lord/Eternus... Why would the trend end ? It's a cost effective way of doing mounted characters, enlarge the number of warscrolls, and bring some named faces to the world. I wouldn't be suprised if we see this in CoS.
- Banner bearer hero. The banner bearer is a classic of WFB, and some factions in AoS have brought it back (Bannerblade, Knight Vexillor...). Same, wouldn't be surprised if we see this in CoS.
- Witch hunter & "warrior priest" : same, 2 Warhammer classics, and we've already have minis of both before. Generic kits for them ? Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me.

Here you can also add other stuff that has been popping up. Wild warmachines and guns ? Bonkers faith centric minis ? You do you.

Wow, congratulations on reaching the end of this wall of text ! You've made it ! I'm proud of you ! I hope you have appreciated the rant, and feel free to add your own ideas to the mix !

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
new rumours + spelling mistakes
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

- Azyrite Ogres/Maneaters : these guys keeping popping up again and again in CoS rumours, and to me there's gotta be something behind for them to continue popping up. This is really strange...

I'm fairly sure Whitefang has heavy hinted at Cities Ogres so maybe they should shift up a category?

• Like 1

All these new miniature reveals have got me thinking about general "Sigmarite" aesthetics.

Let't take newer Stormcast for example

Spoiler

99120218061_SCEVindicatorsLead.jpg

Their armour and equipment is sleek, incredibly well-made, and, amongst many other influences, has a slight "art-deco"/high(er) fantasy feel to it,

Spoiler

99120299079_AoSCleansingAqualithLead.jpg

Spoiler

01.jpg

Spoiler

JG O'Donoghue - Age of Sigmar Starter Set, City of Brightspear

which is shared with the new terrain pieces and artistic depictions of Cities, the latter of which often incorporating steampunk tech and being of grand scale.

In contrast,

Spoiler

image.png.32961d302753561b59f55ddcde4f884d.png

The new range of CoS sigmar minis have, at least so far, followed a more down-to-earth, medieval fantasy aesthetic, more fitting for an army venturing out on a Crusade, whilst still somehow fitting in with the Stormcast's and large cities architectural style and offering a nice contrast, at least imo (especially with some of the more elaborate "floral" patterns on some of the minis).

I am curious to see if some of the more "elite" units we might see in the future will see us getting some of that "art-deco" aesthetic represented in the army (veterans emulating Stormcast? Azyrite War-Altar? Higher ranking officers?), or if that will be relegated to only terrain and Stormcast.

Or maybe for a potential 2nd wave of releases to represent the "established city" part of the army compared to the "basic troops"/"Dawnbringer forces" we are seeing now?

• Like 3

On 6/3/2023 at 1:26 PM, Asbestress said:

I am curious to see if some of the more "elite" units we might see in the future will see us getting some of that "art-deco" aesthetic represented in the army (veterans emulating Stormcast? Azyrite War-Altar? Higher ranking officers?), or if that will be relegated to only terrain and Stormcast.

Or maybe for a potential 2nd wave of releases to represent the "established city" part of the army compared to the "basic troops"/"Dawnbringer forces" we are seeing now?

Either or both should happen yeah. Putting the art alongside these minis is such a complete 180 on the vibe I'm wondering if they're gonna keep the Hope in Cities

Maybe a Realm like Hysh has 'fancier' Freeguild than Aqshy and Ghyran?

5 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Either or both should happen yeah. Putting the art alongside these minis is such a complete 180 on the vibe I'm wondering if they're gonna keep the Hope in Cities

Maybe a Realm like Hysh has 'fancier' Freeguild than Aqshy and Ghyran?

I think that more gritty/grimdark aesthetics can still coexist with a hopeful faction identity.

Also, I think there might be more hope in Freeguild armies now that it seems everyone has shoes.

• Haha 3

The representation of the Cities of Sigmar in their art and their models has certainly always come apart to a certain degree. Of course, that's understandable when the cities are completely composed of legacy models. But I also think there is a bit of dissonance between the new Dawnbringer terrain an the models that we have seen so far.

By that I don't necessarily mean that the models are all grim and gritty dirt farmers, while the terrain is all polished white marble and gold. I think the Cavalliers and Marshal are plenty fancy, and I think most of the dawnbringer buildings we have seen are at least not incompatible with being dirtied down.

However, so far the Dawnbringer terrain and its associated fluff definitely seem to exist in a much more highly magical world than the new Freeguild models. Especially the whole concept of floating islands being pulled by huge steam machines, which really seems kind of at odds with the new knights and foot troops.

My hope is that we will see more of those high fantasy concepts in the model range as we get closer to release. Otherwise, the contrast between what the cities are in the fluff (highly magical, technological advanced mega-cities) vs what they are on the table (historically grounded knights and soldiers) would be pretty stark.

EDIT:

While looking for pictures of Cities art, I came across this old image from Warcom of a Hammerhal army which honestly still looks super hype even now:

E4l1Ro1TgF4aT0dX.jpg

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 10:20 PM, EntMan said:

I'm fairly sure Whitefang has heavy hinted at Cities Ogres so maybe they should shift up a category?

Oh great @Whitefang thank you for the reaction 😍

Any chance I could trouble you for a reaction to the rumour of the Cities Ogres being a (dual build?) kit for Mawtribes as well Cities?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EntMan said:

Oh great @Whitefang thank you for the reaction 😍

Yeah I've seen it too, he did the same on mine. Thanks @Whitefang for the like on a reply that took a lot of time to write 🙂

I guess that now Cities Ogres are not only a thing, but the Cities war altar is too. Idk what to say about the "unconfirmed but likely" and "educated guesses" sections of my forecast, maybe they're wrong or right. I don't think I've done a 100% accurate guess on these ones to warrant the like of approval.

2 hours ago, EntMan said:

Any chance I could trouble you for a reaction to the rumour of the Cities Ogres being a (dual build?) kit for Mawtribes as well Cities?

I wouldn't worry if it is not a dual kit. Means we get to convert ! 

• Like 1

image.png.e753747ea8ac09ed54d0200d9a2bfd17.png

Not quite today's article, but I just noticed how well the ven Densts' paintjobs fit into the new Hammerhal colours (almost certainly having been painted with knowledge of the range refresh). Really makes you appreciate the development process of a new range.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Asbestress said:

image.png.12e5a12f295f92905cb37c5334d683c8.png 

Compilation Image 3: Now with 100% more Galen ven Denst!

Damn the ogor is huge! Still need at least 2 of them 😛

What a beautiful little family.

So, some remarks about the Warhulk in the context of the new release:

• They were not lying when they said they wanted to be different from the Empire.
  • Very happy to see that the gun still looks relatively advanced. There was some doubt around whether we would be getting only handcannons from now on.
  • I think the article hints that playing the new Cities heavy on firearms and artillery will be possible? Would make me pretty happy if so.
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Asbestress said:

Compilation Image 3: Now with 100% more Galen ven Denst!

if it isn't too much to ask: could you put the warhulk in the center? i'm imagining this dude in the middle of a gaggle of infantry and by Sigmar GW is taking forever to show us a table filled with these

45 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think the article hints that playing the new Cities heavy on firearms and artillery will be possible? Would make me pretty happy if so.

Agreed on all 3 accounts 👀 the naming of this character (and the fact that it's a hero-type to begin with) absolutely has me thinking we're getting enough ranged and arty kits to run a gun-heavy list.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

if it isn't too much to ask: could you put the warhulk in the center? i'm imagining this dude in the middle of a gaggle of infantry and by Sigmar GW is taking forever to show us a table filled with these

image.png.8b4f0a2b6ada1a84a89f2c820812308b.png

1 minute ago, michu said:

AoS-fied Nuln, here I come!

Ah, a future Greywater Fastness initiate...

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 3

I really like how the Freeguild range is coming together. Excuse my unabashed hype posting, but after seeing the new Freeguild Guard I was kind of unsure at first if I liked their new aesthetic. But the more new models from the range we see, the more the design elements are becoming clear. In the context of even just the new Cavalliers and the Warhulk, they seem a lot less like "generic fantasy" and a lot more like just the base line of a new army identity that gets its elements more exaggerated on other, more "out there" troops in the range.

If you look far enough back in this thread, you will find posts of me hoping that GW keeps old Empire design elements around. But looking at the new models, I don't even particularly want that anymore. I feel like they are a much better realization of the concept of the Freeguild in the Mortal Realms than the old Empire holdovers ever were.

Still hope they keep the Steam Tank around, though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If you look far enough back in this thread, you will find posts of me hoping that GW keeps old Empire design elements around. But looking at the new models, I don't even particularly want that anymore.

In some way, Empire elements are still kept in the Cities. They're just more subtle than putting floppy hats and puffy sleeves on everyone. The heavily armored cavaliers, the cult of the wheel, the sniper musket on top of the ogor... That's steel, faith and gunpowder right here. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I really like how the Freeguild range is coming together. Excuse my unabashed hype posting, but after seeing the new Freeguild Guard I was kind of unsure at first if I liked their new aesthetic. But the more new models from the range we see, the more the design elements are becoming clear. In the context of even just the new Cavalliers and the Warhulk, they seem a lot less like "generic fantasy" and a lot more like just the base line of a new army identity that gets its elements more exaggerated on other, more "out there" troops in the range.

Completely agree. They have a more grimdark tone with the AoS weridness that makes rhem split appart from other "fantasy human faction".

Maybe I will try to build a 2k point list and paint them as ankh morpork city watch