Bonersplitterz in 3rd Edition

Jimmy Bob Jones

17 hours ago, bonzai said:

I agree! They look down right nasty at first glance. 

What are you guys hoping for in the balancing FAQ? I don't expect much for us, though I can dream. If I had my way, these would be my changes...

1. Add Coalition rules like Nurgle is getting. Essentially letting us ally Ironjawz and Kruelboyz units without sacrificing our allegiance abilities or being forced to take big waaagh. (I would totally convert a beast-skewer killbow out of some big Stabbas).

2. Reduce Kragnos down to some where around 580 points, or give him a 5+ ward save and put him around 650.

3. Drakkfoot: Change the wording of their ability to "An opponent's unit cannot make wards saves against wounds and mortal wounds caused by friendly Drakkfoot units". (Right now it only works for attacks. Spells and other abilities get ward saves as normal. This makes it no ward saves period).

4. Add the following to the Bonegrinz allegiance ability: "The spirit of gorkamorka rule also applies to shooting attacks made by friendly Bonegrinz units". (This fits with their fill the sky with Arrows theme, and would make them more viable).

5. Wardokks have their wizard keyword replaced by the Priest keyword. (We have plenty of casters, and the whole grand alliance is starved for priests. Having access to one would not only shake up our game, but all those who can ally with us too.)

6. Increase the range of squiggly Curse to 18. (3" vs heroes only? Utter hot garbage.)

7. Mork's Boney bits being returned to their previous version. (Current versions is useless in some match ups, and a consistent +1 with a lower ceiling is preferable to a situational bonus).

8. Reduce the cost of Savage Orruks to 150. (It doesn't seem right that they are the most expensive unit in our army).

I think that these changes could put us back to tournament tier, and help add some list variety to the army. What would you guys like to see?

I don t think we ll see any changes in this update unfortunately. The book is just too recent, they also have not been tracking Bonesplitterz individually in gw metas article which bothers me as Ironjaws is in Orruk Warclans the Pretifex Elite of OBRs

The one I believe is Kragnos getting some point decrease and/or getting a ward save

2 hours ago, azdimy said:

The one I believe is Kragnos getting some point decrease and/or getting a ward save

It will be interesting to see. If it stay at 2+ save and he get a ward (let say a 5++) and drop point he'll suddenly become very good. 

However, his biggest problem will stay: his movement. 10'' and no flying for a 700pts model is very low. If he had a better movement you would already see him in some list.

The rumour out there for Kraggy is:

• 6++ Ward 
  • 3D6" charge aura for all Destruction models
  • Caps objectives as 30 models (this charts with damage)
  • 800 points

Rumours for Bonesplitterz are 10 points here and there, will be nice to have but nothing radical.  Would love your suggestion for Wardokk to be a Priest @bonzai but no rumours of that AFAIK.

You might end up getting a better Kragnos at around the same total points as now, which would be pretty interesting and worth experimenting with at least.

5 hours ago, broche said:

However, his biggest problem will stay: his movement. 10'' and no flying for a 700pts model is very low. If he had a better movement you would already see him in some list.

Agree with this, his straight line speed should be exceptional.  10" is an insult.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

The rumour out there for Kraggy is:

• 6++ Ward 
  • 3D6" charge aura for all Destruction models
  • Caps objectives as 30 models (this charts with damage)
  • 800 points

Rumours for Bonesplitterz are 10 points here and there, will be nice to have but nothing radical.  Would love your suggestion for Wardokk to be a Priest @bonzai but no rumours of that AFAIK.

You might end up getting a better Kragnos at around the same total points as now, which would be pretty interesting and worth experimenting with at least.

Agree with this, his straight line speed should be exceptional.  10" is an insult.

That would certainly go a long way towards fixing him. Comparing his current version to a mega Gargant, and it was arguable that you got more out them for less. He seemed closer to Gordrak than Nagash as he is. Those changes would make reconsider taking him.... but not in my Drakkfoot. He may actually be a fun addition to a Bonegrinz list, as he can be the kind of distraction they need.

• Like 1

Personally I’d love to see the exploding 6s to work universally (ranged and no minimum models). It would make it less of a hassle to remember and would make it flow better. Coalition would be really nice, I want my orruk on troggoth(mini idol). As for kragnos id love him to get the rumor warscroll changes instead of a big points drop. He should play like a god and not be cheap, you could make lists arround him. As for bonesplitterz points I’d love to see some drops, especially the savage orruks.

BUT id increase the points of arrowboyz slightly to 150 with the exploding 6s buff. As for the wurgogg, I don’t think I would drop his points, but I have too low experience with him.

Things I would like to happen:
-Spirit Of Gorkamorka applies to all melee attacks - no minimum models requirement (I don’t necessarily agree with the suggestion of applying to shooting as well, but I kind of have a bias against AoS shooting in general so anything that buffs shooting will never get my approval - Unleash Hell was the WORST change to AoS)
-Big Stabbas get their run and charge ability back
-some sort of anti-monster stuff (immune to Monstrous Rampage, +1 to hit/damage or something vs monsters, extra attacks if they kill monsters, something like that)
-Kruleboyz and Ironjawz can be taken as Coalition Units. I wanted to supplement Bonesplitterz with the monsters from Kruleboyz but Big Waaagh is the only way to do it now and I don’t want to lose the Bonesplitterz stuff.
-points drops of 10-30pts for all the units. Heroes are probably fine though 
-Wardok gets the Priest keyword back. Dok have Wizard-Priest units so there’s no reason why we had to lose our one

• Like 1

Played in a small local tournament today with the list I previously posted. Round 1 was against KO. He went first and managed to take down an Idol and bring two of my moreboy units down to under half strength. My turn my casting got into combat with my maniacs and the remains of a moreboy squad. Unleash hell did a number on the boars, but I did kill some endrinriggers, and wound his ironclad some. Other than my last Idol killing an admiral in round 3, that was the last time I caught up with them. Every round he was able to move around and delete several units. Game was called for time at the end of round 4. I just had the Idol left at that point.

Overall this was an uphill battle. Aside from pregame moves, my list was too slow to corner them, and I didn't have enough units to zone them out. Taking down slow plodding infantry with minimal armor saves is KO's bread and butter, and he had 6 dispells to impede my casting. The one time I got a fist of gork through, I rolled 20 dice and ended up doing no damage. Overall this was a rough one.

Game 2 was against soulblight gravelords. Turn 1 he had several blood knights and black knights in my deployment zone, and I was pinned in place. I remained pinned for the rest of the game, though I was whittling through though his units, enough returned to keep me tied up. Had bad dice when I tried to use the mask, and failed an endless swarm on the first round. These failures along with my opponent rolling lots of 5+ saves kept me from keeping my moreboy strength up and they were whittled down. Game was called at the end of 3 for time. I was down to a Wurrgog, Wardokk, and both Idols. 

This game was a lot closer, but I still failed to throw my opponent off his game plan. I was hoping to be able to punch through, but I was never able to thanks to the returning units. Being Drakkfoot was a big help this game, and I can't imagine how much more of a slog it would have been if he had gotten his full ward save.

Round 3 was called off due to the KO player being the only undeated player and being way ahead on points. Comparing the performance of this list to the one I played last tournament before our book came out, I definitely notice less damage output. This list had better force projection than the way my old list played, however I still felt that I needed either more units or bigger ones. I may drop an Idol in the future and try having more units, but at the same time they are the only survivable thing in the army. 

There is lots to think about. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, bonzai said:

Played in a small local tournament today with the list I previously posted. Round 1 was against KO. He went first and managed to take down an Idol and bring two of my moreboy units down to under half strength. My turn my casting got into combat with my maniacs and the remains of a moreboy squad. Unleash hell did a number on the boars, but I did kill some endrinriggers, and wound his ironclad some. Other than my last Idol killing an admiral in round 3, that was the last time I caught up with them. Every round he was able to move around and delete several units. Game was called for time at the end of round 4. I just had the Idol left at that point.

Overall this was an uphill battle. Aside from pregame moves, my list was too slow to corner them, and I didn't have enough units to zone them out. Taking down slow plodding infantry with minimal armor saves is KO's bread and butter, and he had 6 dispells to impede my casting. The one time I got a fist of gork through, I rolled 20 dice and ended up doing no damage. Overall this was a rough one.

Game 2 was against soulblight gravelords. Turn 1 he had several blood knights and black knights in my deployment zone, and I was pinned in place. I remained pinned for the rest of the game, though I was whittling through though his units, enough returned to keep me tied up. Had bad dice when I tried to use the mask, and failed an endless swarm on the first round. These failures along with my opponent rolling lots of 5+ saves kept me from keeping my moreboy strength up and they were whittled down. Game was called at the end of 3 for time. I was down to a Wurrgog, Wardokk, and both Idols. 

This game was a lot closer, but I still failed to throw my opponent off his game plan. I was hoping to be able to punch through, but I was never able to thanks to the returning units. Being Drakkfoot was a big help this game, and I can't imagine how much more of a slog it would have been if he had gotten his full ward save.

Round 3 was called off due to the KO player being the only undeated player and being way ahead on points. Comparing the performance of this list to the one I played last tournament before our book came out, I definitely notice less damage output. This list had better force projection than the way my old list played, however I still felt that I needed either more units or bigger ones. I may drop an Idol in the future and try having more units, but at the same time they are the only survivable thing in the army. 

There is lots to think about. 

I always love these write ups, thank you for doing it! It sounds like a combo of rough luck and bad matchups, combined with some poor rolls. Against Kharadron my only advice is to try and pick two objectives out of 3 and hold those. Overextending will just get you killed because KO are faster and can pick you apart. But if you force them to come to you for a fight, that works much better for you.

Weirdly enough I actually think Icebone's better against Kastelai SBGL than Drakkfoot because the mortals are really good at punching through their high armor, but against vyrkos or any other SBGL Drakkfoot's better IMO. As with KO, if you suspect a big deepstrike is coming in, try and play from a corner and spread out from there, it's MUCH harder to goon you off a teleport if they can't get behind you on two sides.

1 hour ago, Aztok said:

I always love these write ups, thank you for doing it! It sounds like a combo of rough luck and bad matchups, combined with some poor rolls. Against Kharadron my only advice is to try and pick two objectives out of 3 and hold those. Overextending will just get you killed because KO are faster and can pick you apart. But if you force them to come to you for a fight, that works much better for you.

Weirdly enough I actually think Icebone's better against Kastelai SBGL than Drakkfoot because the mortals are really good at punching through their high armor, but against vyrkos or any other SBGL Drakkfoot's better IMO. As with KO, if you suspect a big deepstrike is coming in, try and play from a corner and spread out from there, it's MUCH harder to goon you off a teleport if they can't get behind you on two sides.

I appreciate it. Yeah, I was able to keep the KO from coming behind me the first round, but after I charged them it created some room. They had no problems destroying my units from the front though. Lol.

Icebone is the best choice hands down. I am just being stubborn and trying to stick with my Drakkfoot.

25 minutes ago, bonzai said:

I appreciate it. Yeah, I was able to keep the KO from coming behind me the first round, but after I charged them it created some room. They had no problems destroying my units from the front though. Lol.

Icebone is the best choice hands down. I am just being stubborn and trying to stick with my Drakkfoot.

I totally get it. I really want to keep playing drakkfoot, but in my meta at least, punching through big armor saves is a little more vital than ignoring wards. I guess it comes from fighting Stormcast and Kharadron a lot. Also, @Shirtripper has absolutely got me hyped for big hordes of boarboy maniaks.  Was originally dead set on Kruleboyz and was only tangentially interested in Bonesplitterz, and then the mad lad comes along with his guide and gets me excited for 'em.

• Like 2

Yesterday I played a match against a classic SBG Nagash Kastelai list.
He deployed his Nagash 19'' away from my deployment zone, so I took my chances, deployed my two Wurgoggs on the front line, made my Great Hunter pregame move, took first and gave it a go.

The first Wurgogg (without glowin tattooz) died after only dealing 5 wounds. BUT my second one with glowin tattoz rekt Nagash to zero and had 4 wounds left himself. It was glorious and the game was basically over for him from there. 
It is a lot of fun, BUT it was only because he misplayed. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Enwolved said:

Yesterday I played a match against a classic SBG Nagash Kastelai list.
He deployed his Nagash 19'' away from my deployment zone, so I took my chances, deployed my two Wurgoggs on the front line, made my Great Hunter pregame move, took first and gave it a go.

The first Wurgogg (without glowin tattooz) died after only dealing 5 wounds. BUT my second one with glowin tattoz rekt Nagash to zero and had 4 wounds left himself. It was glorious and the game was basically over for him from there. 
It is a lot of fun, BUT it was only because he misplayed. 

Some lucky rolls and unlucky ones on your opponent since he also has a 4+ ward against mortal wounds.

7 hours ago, azdimy said:

Some lucky rolls and unlucky ones on your opponent since he also has a 4+ ward against mortal wounds.

No, pure skill of course haha

tbh: Yes, sure it was, I have no idea what the math is on that and I dont care, I ****** killed Nagash with the mask and it was legendary!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Enwolved said:

No, pure skill of course haha

tbh: Yes, sure it was, I have no idea what the math is on that and I dont care, I ****** killed Nagash with the mask and it was legendary!!

My best kill is Kairos so far! I hope to get the bone father himself one day!

On that note, can I buy your dice off you? 🤣

• Like 2

So the faq is out and gw did nothing for bonesplitterz apart from nerfing unleash hell (buff to all none bonegrinz), buffing kragnos with bo points increase as far ad i can tell. They also nerfed amulet of destiny so no seconded wurgogg with bettet ward. 

I like the idea of a bonesplitterz horde with kragnos, since he now counts as 30 modeös at full health, got a 6+ ward and hits like a truck.

This list probably isnt optimal, you should maybe go like 10 Maniacs and 10x Savage and drop 1x Big Stabbas, but I do think Kraggy is pretty good now. 

His charge buff is a huge buff for Big Stabbas. They are so slow in 3rd ed. Honestly seems pretty fun. You can throw big unit of Boars into opponent turn 1, or 2 units of Stabbas. Sit on objectives with boars and Kraggy. 

LEADERS
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
Savage Big Boss (65)
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)
UNITS
15 x Savage Boarboys (420)
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (160)
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (160)
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
Chronomantic Cogs (45)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

• Like 1

So with the Kragnos update, there's no reason to take him and a Big Boss anymore unless you are taking primarily foot units.

A 3d6 charge is, on average 10.5", up from 7" with 2d6.  Normal tireless trackers is 5" compared to a Great Hunters 8".  

So what are the effective threat ranges for units within his 12" bubble now? Let's take a look!

• Average Charge Threat ranges with no Tireless Trackers move
    • Rogue Idol: 20"
    • Big Stabbas:  15"
    • Foot Heroes: 15"
    • Mounted Heroes: 15"
    • Foot Orruks (+1 from musician): 16"
    • Mounted Orruks (+1 from musician) 23"
  • Average Charge Threat ranges with 5" Tireless Trackers
    • Rogue Idol: 25"
    • Big Stabbas:  20"
    • Foot Heroes: 20"
    • Mounted Heroes: 20"
    • Foot Orruks (+1 from musician): 21"
    • Mounted Orruks (+1 from musician) 28"
  • Average Charge Threat Ranges with 8" Great Hunter Tireless Trackers
    • Rogue Idol: 28"
    • Big Stabbas:  23"
    • Foot Heroes: 23"
    • Mounted Heroes: 23"
    • Foot Orruks (+1 from musician): 24"
    • Mounted Orruks (+1 from musician) 31"

So Boarboys can reach anything with 28-31" now depending on how you flavor it. Meaning, even on The Vice, your opponents are getting charged. In fact, on missions where deployment zones are only 18" away from each other, the entire army can charge if they are wholly within 12" of Kragnos! So that's going to be my focus right now.

Here's what I'm going to be testing:

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Icebone
- Grand Strategy: (Dunno yet, maybe Hold the Line?)
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)*
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Glowy Green Tusks

Battleline
10 x Savage Boarboys (280)*
- Stikkas
- Reinforced x 1
- Stikkas
- Reinforced x 1
- Stikkas
- Reinforced x 1

Units
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (290)*
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 145
Drops: 1

Edited by Shirtripper
  • Like 3

So I played against Maggotkin and Daughters of Khaine today. Nurgle ran Pusgoyles and the Glottkin. DoK ran Morathi, 20 Blood Sisters and 10 Blood Stalkers.

Being a 1 drop, I deployed 5 inches up and in the missions we were playing, I let them go first.

Maggotkin deployed with Pusgoyles in deepstrike and the Glottkin in the center. He capped his own objectives and passed. My turn, Kragnos failed a 10" charge on the Glottkin, but otherwise I capped each other objective other than the one the Glottkin was standing on. He won priority, went first, deepstruck the Pusgoyles and killed some boars. On my turn, Kragnos got his charge off and did a casual 32 damage to the Glottkin. My opponent then conceded.

Against DoK, my opponent deployed 8" from the front of his deployment zone and was unable to hero phase shoot anything. He charged Morathi into 10x boarboys, I waaaghed, and she failed to kill them, who did 3 damage back to her. My turn, I Wurrgog masked 3 wounds off Morathi, retreated the boarboys, and Kragnos proceeded to delete 10x Blood Sisters. He won priority, failed to kill the boarboys who did 3 wounds to Morathi, killed off 10x Maniaks with buffed Blood Sisters. My turn Kragnos did impact wounds to Morathi and killed her, then killed the buffed up Blood Sisters. He conceded.

Kragnos is BONKERS in this army.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad to hear that Kragnos has been good.  I'm getting ready to try him out with my army.  I've been grinding away with my Boyz practicing all through 3rd and am excited to add him into the army. 

I don't like the model though so I' trying to come up with a conversion.  

So with the balance FAQ, and what I learned from my last tournament, I think will give this list a try.

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans

Army Type: Bonesplitterz

Subfaction: Drakkfoot

Grand Strategy: Get Dem Bones!

Triumph: Bloodthirsty

Units

4 Savage Big Stabbas 160 pts

Battle Regiment

Savage Big Boss (General): Great Hunter  65 pts

Wurrgog Prophet: Glowin’ Tattooz, Gorkamorka’s War Cry 150 pts

Wardokk: Power of the Were-boar 80 pts

10 Savage Orruk Morboys 155 pts

10 Savage Boarboy Maniaks 290 pts

10 Savage Boarboy Maniaks 290 pts

Rogue Idol 430 pts

Endless Spells/Invocations

Emerald Lifeswarm  60 pts

Total Points: 1990 pts

Dropped the the second Idol, wurrgog, and Wardokk. Added a 2nd Maniacs unit and Reinforced both of them. Added a Big boss and a reinforced unit of Big Stabbas. Hopefully the increased mobility and larger unit sizes will help.

26 minutes ago, cplhicks said:

How are people finding Get dem Bones! as a grand strategy?  Not sure I'm quite sold on it. 

I am still playing around with it, but it has it's issues. Is it achievable? Very much so. However there is an opportunity cost to it. You have to plan for it, and it can be tricky to do in a timed game where you are not making it through all 5 rounds. While many of the others are passive merely require a surviving unit, this one requires you to have an extra unit survive in enemy territory, most likely off of an objective. You go for it too early, and you are probably going to miss scoring some points, and taking a valuable unit out of the fight in the process. We aren't able to flood the board with cheap wounds like we used to, so there are no guarantees that you will have that much left at the end either. Then again, I have been playing double Idol up to this point, so that could also be a part of it. I am going to try it again with this new list, but otherwise will be looking at Prized Sorcery as my go to, as I tend to go wizard heavy.