Bonersplitterz in 3rd Edition

Jimmy Bob Jones

So I've recently finished collecting my Ironjawz starter army and want to expand. I don't feel like buying a new battlebox for the Kruleboyz but Bonersplitterz seem a simple addition to the army. I'd be playing at 1000 to 2000 points and I was wondering if anyone could help me with what to buy and how to run it. Thanks! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Probably need to see the new book before we can give you meaningful answers bud.  A couple of boxes of Savage Orruks are generally good to have in your collection and are pretty reasonably priced, but I think we're really all holding out for the new Battletome at this point.

Seems fair enough. I'm thinking one or two max squads depending on points to generate waaagh points. You do raise a good point and I'll wait for the new battletome before making any financial decisions

• Like 1

Honestly. This hobby is not about making financial decisions.

If you love Bonesplitterz then there is nothing wrong with getting 3 boxes of Savage Orruks and assembling them in to two 30 boy units each of Stikkas and Arrows. Its an amazing time because nowadays the models aren't as customizable as they used to be. You'll be able to get a lot of character out of those 60 models. Honestly, each one you assemble will be unique.

If you really want you can assemble some Big Stabbas instead of some boys.

Why wait?

On 8/5/2021 at 2:44 AM, Boggler said:

Honestly. This hobby is not about making financial decisions.

If you love Bonesplitterz then there is nothing wrong with getting 3 boxes of Savage Orruks and assembling them in to two 30 boy units each of Stikkas and Arrows. Its an amazing time because nowadays the models aren't as customizable as they used to be. You'll be able to get a lot of character out of those 60 models. Honestly, each one you assemble will be unique.

If you really want you can assemble some Big Stabbas instead of some boys.

Why wait?

You make a fair point. Grab two boxes, make a max squad and four big stabbas. That leaves two spare or for base decoration

You might also wanna consider picking up a box of Hedkrakka's Madmob from the Warhammer Underworls section. You can use most of the minis in the box as Bonesplitter heroes (Wurrgog Prophet = Hedkrakka, the 2 melee heroes as Savage Big Bosses). You could also play them in AoS specifically as Hedkrakka's Madmob, but their rules aren't great so I just use them as normal heroes myself. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 4:14 AM, bonzai said:

Yeah, it's hard to give a lot advice with a battle tome around the corner. But good news! There are only 2 boxes to buy. Right this second, arrowboys and Wardokks are the big winners this edition. Hoping Wardokks don't get nerfed.

Honestly, I'd be amazed of Wardoks didn't get nerfed, spell, pray and dance is too good for 85 points.   

11 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Honestly, I'd be amazed of Wardoks didn't get nerfed, spell, pray and dance is too good for 85 points.   

Halfway expecting that GW takes the lazy way out, adds the Kruelboyz, tweaks the Big Waaagh to include them and call it good.

Edited by bonzai

On 8/7/2021 at 4:14 AM, bonzai said:

Yeah, it's hard to give a lot advice with a battle tome around the corner. But good news! There are only 2 boxes to buy. Right this second, arrowboys and Wardokks are the big winners this edition. Hoping Wardokks don't get nerfed.

Honestly me too. The wardokks are gold being sold as iron. 

• Like 1

I'd hold off completely building models until the book drops, everything is so up in the air now. Like other posters have said, 3 sets of Savage Orruks and the Shadespire warband will give enough for a core of an army, i'd personally get that, assemble the command options for 3 units, leave the bodies for Big Stabbas unassembled just to see what changes. Leave the weapons off as well, so when the book does drop you can go with what is solid.

That'll give you:

Wurrgog Prophet

1 Big Boss from the Shadespire set

4x10 Orruks

enough bits to make 20 Orruks, or 6 Big Stabba teams and 8 spare Orruks, if you use the Shadespire models (axe and bow) as unit champions you'll get another 10 man unit. Once the book drops you can glue weapons onto the 40 Orruks depending what is good, then add from there.

Edited by PainfullyMediocre

Saw the new teaser article for the upcoming battle tome. It's early yet, but so far I am not very impressed yet. They have changed the big waaagh system from stacking bonuses over time to a blades of Khorne style use it and lose it type of system. Bonegrinz now give +1 attack to arrowboys. The way the article reads, it implies that the bonus attack from large unit size has been taken away. It shoe horns you into playing Bonegrinz, with a minor upside that small units get the extra attacks too. The problem is that brutal beast spirits has been nerfed and renamed. Before it was an important buff for my Arrowboys, letting my big unit hit on 4's instead of 5's.Now it's melee only. All of this combined feels like a big nerf so far..... and this is them trying to excite us!

I've made a post about my custom faction some may have seen already. Would  anyone be interested in a Bonesplittaz ruleset with research being done to be as close to the source material as I can and  also add a age of sigmar expansion of units and faction abilities?  They would  be their own full faction.

This would just be a ' on paper' set of rules for 3.0 any may do as they wish. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 6:16 PM, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah that preview was absolutely brutal for Bonesplitterz, just a series of nerfs.  Yay! 

I mean it's possible that Arrow Boys hit on 4s now, but all we know is what they've told us - and it doesn't make good reading.

This is the truth right here folks! Ya, maybe Arrow Boys hit on 4's now, but its highly unlikely.

These Bonesplitterz are old models, and will not get much love from the devs. Look at what they did to the old Ork models in 40k... bbbbyyeeee!!!

Shooting in the hero phase? Uhhhh, hahahaha!!!

Rolling 90 arrow dice at anything means whatever is going to use All of Defence.

I'm hoping I can somehow mix in a 30 strong unit of Arrow Boys in to a Big Waaagh but its now likely to be only 60 shots, and certainly not efficient enough to be worth the points spend.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boggler said:

This is the truth right here folks! Ya, maybe Arrow Boys hit on 4's now, but its highly unlikely.

These Bonesplitterz are old models, and will not get much love from the devs. Look at what they did to the old Ork models in 40k... bbbbyyeeee!!!

Shooting in the hero phase? Uhhhh, hahahaha!!!

Rolling 90 arrow dice at anything means whatever is going to use All of Defence.

I'm hoping I can somehow mix in a 30 strong unit of Arrow Boys in to a Big Waaagh but its now likely to be only 60 shots, and certainly not efficient enough to be worth the points spend.

If they maintain the ability to shoot in the hero phase, there's no All out Defence that stands, man.
Bonesplitterz in a edition full of monster can be a menace, if GW dropes the right rules.
The only models needed here are the heroes, the rest is in a "multikit plastic dynamic pose standard", so why bother?

I guess my point was that GW won't provide competitive rules to an older set of models.

There is no way Bonesplitterz get a Hero phase shooting. I can't see them taking the old battalions and rolling them in to hero abilities or other army command traits. If they do then Fyreslayers will get a built in Lords of the Lodge with their army for free just because...

Personally Brian Nelson > Peter Jackson

I love my Bonesplitterz. The character of the multi-pose models are way ahead of their time. We don't need more models! We need warscrolls.

22 hours ago, Boggler said:

I guess my point was that GW won't provide competitive rules to an older set of models.

There is no way Bonesplitterz get a Hero phase shooting. I can't see them taking the old battalions and rolling them in to hero abilities or other army command traits. If they do then Fyreslayers will get a built in Lords of the Lodge with their army for free just because...

Personally Brian Nelson > Peter Jackson

I love my Bonesplitterz. The character of the multi-pose models are way ahead of their time. We don't need more models! We need warscrolls.

Lol. I want more models.... specifically a center piece model. A named character wouldn't hurt either.

I have a slim hope that we haven't been defacto squated, solely thanks to Headrakka's mob for Underworlds. Fingers crossed that they had fun making them and we get a model or two down the line. 

Otherwise I agree with you. No way we get hero phase shooting. The article did show that they didn't take the lazy way out and simply copy and paste all the old stuff. Sadly, what I did see didn't bode well for Arrowboys, but that isn't the whole picture. Maybe they put a little work in. Maybe shields are re-worded so they aren't a +1 to saves. Maybe they don't snip the priest tag and actually give us a prayer list. Maybe the whole sub Factions are reworked and are all viable and interesting. Maybe they even add one or two.

Wishful thinking I know, but we can assess the damage in a few days.

• Like 1

For me the most interesting question is how GW integrates the three version of orruks. In the last book there was literally zero synergy between IJ and BSP units and they even counted as allies to each other. What we have seen already is that there is an "Orruk warclans" keyword, so this could provide a great opportunity to bring the clans  closer. If you could mix them outside of BW in any meaningful way it could somewhat make up for the limited roosters. What we have seen in the previews are all pointing to string keywords, sadly, but maybe there is more to it. While it's extremely unlikely but imagine if the weirdnob could teleport any orruks 😁

Sorry for double post, I have to idea how to edit my previous comment. 

One more thing I wanted to say about arrowboyz  ability in Bonegrinz (+1A). If we get this instead of additional attack for 15+ models that would allow for some MSU play with Bonesplitterz. Right now I have a big problem with only 4 reinforcement points in 2k game. 

26 minutes ago, Lucyferiusz said:

Sorry for double post, I have to idea how to edit my previous comment. 

One more thing I wanted to say about arrowboyz  ability in Bonegrinz (+1A). If we get this instead of additional attack for 15+ models that would allow for some MSU play with Bonesplitterz. Right now I have a big problem with only 4 reinforcement points in 2k game. 

Yea bonesplitters seems like an army that was desigened to be played whit big units. So it's a problem that you can't make those anny more. 

15 hours ago, Orkmann said:

While it's extremely unlikely but imagine if the weirdnob could teleport any orruks 😁

Come on... You want the Wurrgog to Breath the GG's before they get the Warchanter damage buff AND some Swampcalla Shaman poison MW on 6's before Brutish Cunning Mighty Destroyer move.

We deserve some synergy.

Currently still in the rough design phase for my 3.0 update.

Would like to know the opinions of " possessed", For example dominated animals used by the spirits to be unwilling vessels of their raw power?

I will say the bonesplittaz are personally a massive missed opportunity with the amount of unused content in AOS 1.0 and continued into 2.0 Warclans book. I know everyone is anxious about the 3.0 Warclans book. My personal delving has been eye opening the past week. 

Hopefully I can provide some content for them as an individual culture they implied them to be in the past.