AoS3 - Lumineth Realm-lords Discussion

Am I reading this wrong, or is Avalenor now absolutely ridiculous when coupled with a Stonemage, the +1W Artifact and Ymetrica Faction?   16w, easy 2+, ignoring Rend -1/-2, 6-7 attacks. 5 damage. relatively easy 2+/2+ to hit.  

People are going to be upset.

I've been running cows for ages because they are cool, but wow.

1 hour ago, Iteken said:

Am I reading this wrong, or is Avalenor now absolutely ridiculous when coupled with a Stonemage, the +1W Artifact and Ymetrica Faction?   16w, easy 2+, ignoring Rend -1/-2, 6-7 attacks. 5 damage. relatively easy 2+/2+ to hit.  

In my experience, the various Alarith units are basically what people have been talking about since the new tome, yeah. They got a serious glow up, and Avalenor possibly most of all.

Personally, I like that they are good now, but I feel Avalenor pulled way too far ahead of the generic spirit relative to their points difference. I would have liked the Spirit of the Mountain to get similar levels of glow-up proportional to the cost, but I don't think it really did.

16 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys Unyielding Toughness ability works if unit buffed remain wholly within the range of the spell? Or I can move far my buffed unit and still have the effect of the spell until next hero phase? Thx a lot!

You can move your units as you please after being "buffed". The only conditional is i'ts duration: Until your next hero phase.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Iteken said:

In what way would you buff the spirit of the mountain? The stat lines are almost identical with Avalenor apart from the number of attacks but the cows use a two handed hammer compared to two hammers with Avalenor.

15 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys Unyielding Toughness ability works if unit buffed remain wholly within the range of the spell? Or I can move far my buffed unit and still have the effect of the spell until next hero phase? Thx a lot!

Also, if you move from the caster then you could lose models to death if models with 3 wounds have 2 wound damage and the 3 wounds drop to 2 again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Troll.exe said:

Odd question, does the stonemage require sub assembly? I tossing up between playing primed only or running a proxy this weekend... just finished Avalenor.

cheers

I painted my Stonemage fully assembled, and I don't recall it being particularly difficult to do so.

• Like 1

Update to the Lumineth FAQ came out - Teclis now knows all spells in the lore, Avalenor is now Ymetrica locked, and Helon only gets +1 missile attacks if they shoot a target within 6" of the unit.

Also, Alarith rend effects have been clarified.  The example used was Ironjaws Waaagh, but it would also be relevant vs beasts of chaos and Daughters of Khaine.  The ignore rend -2 effect happens before the modifier is added, which means that in the case of ironjaws, when they call the waagh and hit you with some rend -2 attacks that have been buffed to rend -3, the rend -2 is cancelled out by the Alarith trait, and they get hit by rend -1.  Basically, if you have +rend effects, Alarith blocks the base rend level, and then the bonus rend takes effect afterwards.

Luckily, bonus rend isn't that common, but I expect a lot of confusion regarding this nontheless.

Edited by readercolin
Add update to how Alarith rend effects work

On a side note, my DoK Army has lost the stonemage and Avalenor. Much improved change because the combo with morathi was grim. My armies are 3000 points if you wondered.

Edit: Crippling Vertigo with Shroud of Despair is still beast. Combined with a Cathallar too and the NPE can be said to be back lol. We can even use Darkness of the soul and crippling vertigo for a double chance of pinning an enemy unit.

Edited by Tango Trooper

19 hours ago, readercolin said:

Update to the Lumineth FAQ came out - Teclis now knows all spells in the lore, Avalenor is now Ymetrica locked, and Helon only gets +1 missile attacks if they shoot a target within 6" of the unit.

Also, Alarith rend effects have been clarified.  The example used was Ironjaws Waaagh, but it would also be relevant vs beasts of chaos and Daughters of Khaine.  The ignore rend -2 effect happens before the modifier is added, which means that in the case of ironjaws, when they call the waagh and hit you with some rend -2 attacks that have been buffed to rend -3, the rend -2 is cancelled out by the Alarith trait, and they get hit by rend -1.  Basically, if you have +rend effects, Alarith blocks the base rend level, and then the bonus rend takes effect afterwards.

Luckily, bonus rend isn't that common, but I expect a lot of confusion regarding this nontheless.

The change to helon is a big one because it now only works in your shooting phase. So no bonus shots with unleash hell...

Hi allí. Had a Game yesterday and I wanna make more an elite army without Big blocks of wardens and sentilels.

I like the cow and 2x5 stoneguards block but I feel them a bit slow and I have some doubts:

Wardens, Riders or Bladelords? I LOVE the blade models so as Riders but I feel all three are too fragile. Im not much onto wardens but they make more attaks and they can Buff to get a ward or to make mortals on 5s, but they stay just one turn on a fight... So bladelords or Riders? All three fragile but Cant decide 

And for a distance support I know sentinels are nice but I dont wanna go 2 x 20 so maybe 10 and a ballista or just 2 ballistas? 

I like stoneguards and they are hard but make entire army of cows is not my thing, dont like too much spam and like going elite so what you guys think. Plus the wind temple I just cant see them, I like the Spirit model but the others... I think they are not so good on table 

And for heroes its cow, Eltharion and regent or Callig or enlighter... 

Anyone here thinking to going more elite?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a thought of a illiatha based list with a ton of bladelords, any thoughts or tips on how to improve it?

- Army Faction: Lumineth Realm-lords
     - Subfaction: Iliatha
LEADERS
Vanari Lord Regent (170)
Ellania and Ellathor (260)*
     - Spells: Protection of Hysh
Scinari Cathallar (110)*
     - Spells: Total Eclipse
Scinari Enlightener (170)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Loremaster
     - Artefacts of Power: Silver Wand
     - Spells: Etheral Blessings, Overwhelming Heat, Protection of Hysh
BATTLELINE
Vanari Bladelords (260)*
     - Bladelord Seneschal 
Vanari Bladelords (260)**
     - Bladelord Seneschal
Vanari Bladelords (260)**
     - Bladelord Seneschal
ARTILLERY
Vanari Starshard Ballistas (130)*
OTHER
Vanari Auralan Sentinels  (300)*
     - High Sentinel
     - Spells: Speed of Hysh
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Hyshian Twinstones (50)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
**Bounty Hunters
TOTAL POINTS: 1970/2000

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you use the Lord Regent to make the sword masters mortal wound on a 5+ instead of a 6+. It's not so bad in my tests but the sword masters are designed for horde decimation anyway. The sword masters have no rend which can be improved by the mortal wound improvement.

I would still make the Switch to warlord and then also to Zaitrec. The +1 to cast will make your army flow better because you are very reliant on single source magic. If you take the spell lore enhancement you can drop one source of protection of hysh and give the Regent Consumate Warrior to reroll a save roll once per turn.

Took my own advice and switched Lyrior for my Enlightener. Lyrior only offered one free command point a turn but the rest was rather finicky and not used often. I can still get the free command point from Enlightener in the Shrine Luminor but the range is much reduced. I'm quite a fan of Scinari Enlightener and find she is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...