Battle Reports / Feedback / Analysis

Liquidsteel

With the "main" thread getting quite long, I thought maybe we could put aside a new location to discuss games we've had or will have and talk strategy.

Does anyone have any games lined up for this week or next? What list are you taking, and what is your opponent bringing?

Let us know in advance and then report back once the game is over!

• Thanks 1

While not a game in the next week or two, my next game is a local 3 day tournament second Saturday in June. My current plan is to run Kastelai Dynasty with the Dolorous Guard Battalion allied in. I will likely be taking Prince Vhordrai, Coven Throne, 2-3 units of Blood Knights and some Dire Wolves. I fully realize that there is probably a greater than 99% chance that the Dolorous Guard Battalion will be gone in the next month or two, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to use it before it is gone.

I haven't spent a great deal of time list building outside of this since I am fully expecting 3.0 to change things up. However my tentative plan for tournaments is likely going to by Vyrkos almost always using Belladamma Volga, from there I will plug in different units. The first list in Vyrkos I want to try out is an Alpha strike / hyper aggressive list. The idea is to run COGs, the Alpha strike will be a unit of 20 Grave Guard with Great Weapons popping up out of the Grave, a unit of Varghiests deep striking near them and a Hero with the Driven by Deathstench Command Trait to give free re-rolls to help ensure the Alpha Strike happens. Ideally Belladamma is also giving exploding 6s with Under a Killing Moon. Depending on placement some Blood Knights might charge as well, otherwise they are the second wave. Then have some Dire Wolves act as chaff, body guard for Bellademma or grab objectives. Question is if I want a VLoZD, Radaukar or a Vengorian Lord.

Had a game against StD this weekend. He played Belakor, a Chaos Lord, Khrone DP, max blob of Chaos Warriors with dual blades, a shrine, ten Chaos Knights and some Furies.

I played Vyrkos with Mannfred, two Necros, a VLord, max blob Skeletons, max blob Zombies, ten Wolves, six Vargheists and a Mortis Engine. 

Some highlights:

Zombies did consistent mortal wounds to the big Warrior blob. They killed about 8 Warriors before being torn down by the many attacks. Their 6" pile-in was very handy as it allowed me to park the Zombies outside of combat and activate them later, without having to fear retaliation until they get to swing.

My Skeletons were supported by a Necromancer. They tanked the Khorne DP and 7 Chaos Warriors for THREE turns! Absolute unit those old bones! With the support of the Mortis Engine they even managed to kill all the Knights. So HA! I told people that Skeletons were good but noooo. I've seen so many people decry them as "garbage". Try 'em out before you toss them! They are a really good tarpit now and excellent for holding objectives. 

A nice combo I unwittingly discovered is Mannfred's warscroll spell and the MW aura from the Mortis Engine. This makes it easier for Manni to cast his spell, which will splash around a lot of D3 MWs if the enemy has some units clustered up. And the Mortis Engine will drop additional MWs onto those enemies. This is really dangerous for small heroes or elite units!

All in all the new bloodline felt (to me) better to play with than the old LoN book. It felt like each of my units had a distinct role. Mannfred is obviously sooo much better now. Being able to just teleport away is extremely annoying for the enemy. Mannfred can theoretically stall a unit every turn by just sitting just outside of 3". They either have to go around his big base (and stay 3" away" or charge him and he can just teleport out of there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I'll be following this tread with interest because it will probably be a while before I can get my first game with the new book in. I'm especially interested what people think about the changes to gravesites and Endless Legions in practice. I think it's clear that these rules got nerfed from LoN to Gravelords, but I think they look like they will be more fun, and probabky still quite powerful when used well.

I played my first SBGL game this weekend.  I had never played LoN, so this was quite new to me. I was playing a combination of what I had on hand (VLoZD, 3 Terrorgheists, Necromancer) and units that I was proxing as I tried to decide if I "needed" them (10 and 20 skeletons and 40 zombies) . I was playing Avengorii because I love terrorgheists. My opponent was playing StD. He had a chaos lord on Karkadrak, chaos sorcerer lord, chaos lord, 2 exalted heroes, 3 Varanguard, 6 Varangaurd, 20 warriors with shields and a warshrine. We were playing Force the Hand.

The MVP of  the game for the Vampires was the 10 skeletons. 6 Varanguard charged into 20 skeletons and killed them completely in the 2nd round. The 6 varanguard piled in to bring in the unit of 10 skeletons and those 10 kept the varanguard in combat for 3 turns. They were supported by the necromancer, but after he moved away to capture an objective, they melted away.  the 40 zombies were in combat with the 20 chaos warriors and they only killed 2.  The warriors made an impressive number of 5+ MW saves.

Other highlights included the fact that my necromancer put the killing blow on a Varanguard, which shocked my opponent and that I lost the game because my opponent made a 12" charge into my 20 zombies (brought back from 40) on my primary objective and then he killed 15 of them and the last 5 ran to battleshock. The final score was 22 to 20, so if I had a hero in range to pass battleshock, I would have won. It was a close and fun game.

My take-aways from this game was that I need to position graveyards better, I need zombies and skeletons (yay-building more hordes)  and I need more small support heroes. After the game, I called my FLGS and asked them to set aside a box of zombies and skeletons for me. I think they will be a "necessary" part of this army.

IMG_4688.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so I finally got to play test the list I am taking to a one day tournament this weekend. It's a list I fully expect to not be viable once 3.0 comes out, but it still allowed me to see how some of the new/updated warscrolls worked out.

My game was against Daughters of Khaine on Better Part of Valor. The DoK list was fairly typical, with Morathi, a unit of 15 Bow Snakes, two units of 5 Melee Snakes, a block of 30 Witch Aelves and various support Heroes. I was running an 8 drop Kastelai list with Prince Vhordrai, Coven Throne, three units of 5 Blood Knights, two units of 10 Dire Wolves, two units of Hexwraiths as allies and the Dolorous Guard battalion allied in. 2,000 points exactly, 47 models, 131 total wounds. The Dolorous Guard battalion is almost certainly gone come 3.0, but as it sites right now it can be allied in for your general to shrug wounds and mortal wounds off to the Hexwraiths on a 2+.

As expected, Prince Vhordrai is a beast. I was given the first turn and he made a charge into the 15 Bow Snakes that were deployed aggressively, wiping half the unit. I had put the Coven Thrones Command Ability on the Prince along with Mystic Shield which allowed him to survive the DoK players turn. I also had a unit of Blood Knights with the Coven Throne move on one flank supported by another unit of Blood Knights that were outflanking (unfortunately they failed their charge when they came on the board). The 1" reach and larger bases on Blood Knights is a bit annoying, their damage output is decent but where they really shine IMO is how tanky they are. A unit of 5 was able to tie up The Shadow Queen for a Battle Round. 

I have a one day tournament this coming Saturday, so we will see how the list performs there.

• Thanks 1

Nice! I played my first game with the new book yesterday, a hodge podge Kastelai list that included a bit of everything, vs a disgustingly resilient munificent wanderers tallyband of Nurgle on Places of Arcane Power.

The list was Mannfred, Vhordrai, Vengorian Lord, Necromancer, 5 Blood Knights, 10 Wolves, 40 Zombies, Corpse Cart, Purple Sun and a CP. Not a list for the long term, I just prefer to play with what's painted only.

Ended up winning 20-18. Mannfred teleporting was great and won me the game. Vhordrai should have killed a GuO but my opponent spiked hard on his FNPs, left him alive with 2 wounds whilst Vhordrai took 12 back from the two sources of reflects. Still it's good to know that an aroused Vhordrai can solo such a beast.

Not much to report really, was rusty as hell anyway so playing a new army meant a lot of mistakes, but I was pleased to take the win nonetheless. 

I should add, Mannfreds wind of death was quite potent against them, unfortunately nurgles fnps and healing largely negated it, but against less resilient armies a double turn of that plus amaranthine orb or new Arcane Bolt (rumours say its better) could be nasty against heroes hiding in castles.

Edited by Liquidsteel

Well I competed in a one day tournament (3 games), went 2-1 and finished second overall. My loss was to Changehost 1 drop list on Total Commitment (couldn't outflank my Blood Knights!!!). I ran a Kastelai list with Prince V, Coven Throne, three units of 5 Blood Knights, two units of 10 Dire Wolves and two units of 5 Hexwraiths with the Dolorous Guard allied in. I fully recognize this list won't be valid in 3.0 (due to Dolorous Guard battalion / warscroll battalions not being usable). Coven Throne did amazing not only with the Command Ability but its warscroll spell Shudder totally shut down elite units. I always put at least one Gravesite way back in the enemy deployment zone and usually offset near a corner. This allowed me to possibly set up a unit of Dire Wolves in the graves which my opponent would have to guard during deployment or it gave me a late game resurrect with my DIre Wolves which was very relevant in my third game. All-in-all I think Gravelords is decent. Not S Tier but also very competitive and has the ability to punch above its weight class. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thoughts on this list??

Kestali dynasty 

Nagash -975

Necromancer-125 (general: w/ swift and deadly and fragment of keep 

X 5 blood knights-195

X 5 blood knights-195 

X30 skeletons-255

X20 skeletons-170

X10 skeletons-85

2000/2000

Wounds: 111

Edited by djrodriguez123

21 hours ago, djrodriguez123 said:

Thoughts on this list??

Kestali dynasty 

Nagash -975

Necromancer-125 (general: w/ swift and deadly and fragment of keep 

X 5 blood knights-195

X 5 blood knights-195 

X30 skeletons-255

X20 skeletons-170

X10 skeletons-85

2000/2000

Wounds: 111

How do you plan to use the list? Honest question as without context I find it difficult to comment :)

Maybe I can help by sharing my Nagash list. It's completely theoretical and honestly I feel Nagash is too expensive to make an army with (outside of narrative or open gaming) so take it with a grain of salt ;)

Allegiance: Legion of Blood (For Favoured Retainers as the list has so little infantry everyone needs to pull their weight)

Battle Regiment (This list desperately wants to go first, it's too small to do anything but rush the opponent)

Nagash (The Star of the Show)

Wight King on foot (steed is too expensive), General, Aristocracy of Blood (Unlocks Grave Guard Battleline to reinforce them twice and gets the re-roll charge mechanic outside a Command Ability)

Vampire Lord, Amulet of Destiny, Amethystine Pinions (Unlocks the Favoured Retainers and +1A Command Ability, +1 Save from Mystic Shield so Amulet gives more survivability)

30 Grave Guard with Great Weapons (Main brick, Summonable and do 3 attacks at damage 2 each, re-rolling ones to hit, 4+ save re-rolling ones with a 6+ Ward re-rolling ones, plus you want to target these guys with Rally as much as possible)

2x 20 Deathrattle Skeletons (Best unit to combo with Nagash' Command Ability, no battleshock improves Skeletal Legion)

Enhanchement Spell Lore: Levitate (to give the Grave Guard Fly to circumvent terrain if need be)

1.990 Points

The list is super simple, rush the Grave Guard and Nagash into combat. Start the Grave Guard in the Grave with an aggressively placed Gravesite to cover some ground. Nagash will cast Mystic Shield on at least himself, the Vampire Lord and the Grave Guard every turn. Skeletons are there to screen Nagash. The list is too small to play objectives, you need to kill your opponent and win through secondaries. I seriously doubt this is a good list but with the changes in 3.0 to Mystic Shield and Secondaries I think it can at least function so good for a laugh during game night :D

Edited by Macarian
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:32 PM, Causalis said:

My Skeletons were supported by a Necromancer. They tanked the Khorne DP and 7 Chaos Warriors for THREE turns! Absolute unit those old bones! With the support of the Mortis Engine they even managed to kill all the Knights. So HA! I told people that Skeletons were good but noooo. I've seen so many people decry them as "garbage". Try 'em out before you toss them! They are a really good tarpit now and excellent for holding objectives. 

You’re being all melodramatic.  Of course they have high regen potential again regular armies that can’t spam mortal wounds or ranged attacks.  Slaves To Darkness is about as ideal as it gets.  Rather happy to hear maxing out the battleline “trash” worked out this well.  My only dread is when people start to figure out how to bypass the trick (when they can that is).

I’d be very interested on the VP shifts they contributed in this battle, if you can remember?

• Like 1

Me and my flatmate are currently playing some small games and trying out the 3rd edt rules (Core rules +the revaled part about battlepacks). We are having a lot of fun and he is playing Seraphone. The games are set at 750 pts because of the table and terrain we have. The focus is on the narrative and after we loose we have to make a new list with new guys and names, and some more stuff for fluff. 

1. game:

Vyrkos dynasty: VL, Necro, 10 GG, 2x10 Skelletons, 3 vargheists and he used  coalesced with a Skink starpriest, skink priest, bastilladon, 10 & 20 skinks, 3 Kroxigores. He used all of his shooting attacks to try to kill my VL how was in cover and got look out sir, but he failed miserably and i healed him up with Heroic abilitys and Hunger. Then i emerged with my GG from the grave and moved my VL into buffing position before they made the charge and killed his 20 man skink unit. My Vargheists also charged his 10 man unit of skinks which they used 3 battle rounds to kill....... (Coalesced gives -1D which destroyed my vargheist dmg). The GG and VL killed the Kroxigores in a few turns and then he gave up 3. round when i killed everything, but his bastiladon. 

2. Game:

Vyrkos dynastie: same as last battle but i removed Vargheists fro 10 more GG and i added  ravenaks maws. He used a Saurus army: Scar veteran on Carnosaur, Sunblood on foot, 20 Saurus warriors and 2x5 cold ones. He got 1. turn, but he messed up and did not focus my GG with his Scar Veteran on carnosaur which lead to my 5 GG with Crimson feast dealing 10 dmg to the Scar veteran on Carnosaur. Then it was my hero phase and i killed him and damaged 3 other units with Ravnaks Maws, followed by my GG emerging while my VL repositioned to support them kill his huge saurus bloob. Then he gave up. 

7 hours ago, Tobjen99 said:

The games are set at 750 pts

6 hours ago, Doko said:

Gamess under 2000

Still nice, show him how it‘s done 🥳👍

beware, when he whips out kroak 🤣 (not sure about the new one, but still)

• Like 1

I played this list on Wednesday night against Sylvaneth in my first game of AOS 3.0 - Really enjoyed it and most fun I've had in a long time, could have gone either way to the end.

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Kastelai Dynasty

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- General
- Deathlance
- Command Trait: Rousing Commander
- Artefact: Grave-sand Shard
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Radukar the Beast (315) // Extra 10 Dire Wolves T1

Battleline
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
5 x Blood Knights (195)
5 x Blood Knights (195)
5 x Blood Knights (195)
5 x Blood Knights (195) // Outflanked

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

(Double Battle Regiment - 2 drop)

---------------------

I played against:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Dreadwood

Leaders
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: The Vesperal Gem
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- General
- Command Trait: Paragon of Terror
- Artefact: Jewel of Withering
Spirit of Durthu (300)
Treelord Ancient (260)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Arch-Revenant (100)

Battleline
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380)
- Scythes

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Spiteswarm Hive (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

---------------------

I didn't take any pictures so won't go through the whole game but overall I was really impressed with the army, I didn't get a lot of value from the MW from the Blood Knights as he has a LOT of stuff I couldn't move over, but they did a few times on the smaller units and discounting the MW, the ability to get out then charge back in was fantastic.

I gave him the first turn and got the double on turn 2, kept it from then until Turn 5 when he got it back. Scores ended 22-20 to me with the Grand Strategy making the difference.

Blood Knights I really enjoyed, feels like they're in a different place now, they hit reasonably well on the charge but the main thing is they're so much more tanky now as I was regularly putting them on a 2+ with All Out Defence when they are charged, to then retreat out and charge back in. For 195pts I think they're a bargain. Still think the Kastelai buffs are a bit gimmicky as normally you'll only really see the +2" speed one, and then you only get it after you've killed a unit so it only really matters late game if they survive. +1 damage sounds fantastic (and it is) but you have to go hero hunting to get it really.

I think in future I'll go with the run and charge ability instead as the VLOZD was fantastic, he'd be really scary with a Run command point making him 20" before a charge. (26" if you get Pinions off)

Seen people Poo Poo Dire Wolves with new coherency rules but 10 of them still covers huge space and they're fast so you're able to get them places quickly to claim/contest objectives. 20 wounds on a 5+ 6+ is pretty tanky as well!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Honk said:

Still nice, show him how it‘s done 🥳👍

beware, when he whips out kroak 🤣 (not sure about the new one, but still)

He does have Kroak and i have played many 2000pts games vs him in 2. edt where he used Kroak. Now Kroak is much more dangerus and tanky, so i am scared to meet him, but when we play 1000 pts and bellow we try to avoid op Legendary Lords and big boyz like my vampire lord on zombiedragon. I really like to be able to use a VL and Necro and actualy feel that the are doing a huge inpact and not just hide and seek with his magic and laser dinos. 3 of 4 of my friends prefer small points games and i have to agree with them, because it is easier to build a narativly driven list. 

It is also a long time since we played AoS and we try to get used to the new rules for 3rd, currently i feel like graveguard hits like a truck and that is a good feeling :)

• Haha 1