WHQ: Cursed City and 5+ new CoS named heroes

Double Misfire

So, Saturday's big Warhammer Quest: Cursed City reveal dropped the entire contents of the box, including all eight of the playable adventurers, and confirmed that in line with Warcry warbands and the Blackstone Fortress explorers and baddies that everything in the box will be getting full AoS rules. (If you've been living under a rock, check out the Cursed City website here)

At least five of these guys (Jelsen Darrock, Emelda Braskov, Glaurio ven Alten III, Cleona Zeitenglae and Octren Grimscry) are all but guaranteed Cities of Sigmar keywords, with the Kurnothi and Kharadon representatives at least usable in Living City and Tempest Eye armies (and as allies to everybody else).

The only Cursed City hero CoS players aren't likely to get to use is Brutogg Corpse-Eater, the ogor; which is a big shame, as he's just so cool and would look great stood next to a Freeguild General as a bodyguard. Holding out for some kind of battalion or mercenary rules that mean we can squeeze him in 🤞🤞🤞

It's awesome that CoS are gonna have five special characters to call their own, having previously had none (unless you count borrowed Stormcast/Kharadon/Slyvaneth ones and grognard proximity to Gotrek).

What are your hopes/predictions for these guys? Going by Warscry Warscrolls and the Blackstone Fortress stuff I doubt they'll have any gamebreaking rules, and will probably be slightly overcosted just to stay safe, but it's always nice to have options/flavour.

I'd wager Darrock will probably be something resembling the old Witch Hunter warscroll, though probably with a bit more ranged kick (really what you want in a squishy character hunter), Emelda and Glaurio will be Freeguild Generals with unique command abilities, and the two wizardy types will be Battlemage equivalents with a unique spell or prayer each.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hard to know,we allready have free guild heroes on foot buffing melle and ranged units.

The witch hunter if gonna be a only combat hero with no aura or nothing special there is a 90% chance that he gonna be useless(i think i only have used the grinwrath berzerker of that style heroes because others as the stormcast of blightwar are useless)

The paladin\knigth i guess a dwarf king stats with some ability to do her special

The badass kislev captain i guess something special against vampires as the last stormcast of broken realm?

I hope they are ok and not useless so i have other reason to buy the box

• Like 1

I'm very much hoping they'll at least be unique in some way and not just a carbon copy of an existing CoS scroll with maybe 1 additional near useless rule (though that sometimes feels more like an underworlds way of doing heroes)

But yeah I'm not saying to make them super powerful, just giving people a reason to want to take them besides just a cool model would be nice. But regardless I'm excited to see what they do and even if they end up not too great I'll probably try including them anyway because they're pretty cool!

• Like 1

I won't be surprised if they're burdened with a Ulfenkarn cities keyword and there is a Ulfenkarn Cities of Sigmar allegiance in the warscroll rules (That allows you to play historical battles in Age of Sigmar during the time of the Necroquake and the take over by the Undead).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So far nothing seems special. The weapon of the wich hunter is 0,6 mortals wounds output that is horrible.

The spell isnt useless but we have many better options in each city.

Also the zombi seems the same protect skill than the regular necromancer and his damage is lower than every foot hero.

I hope they have any good as comand skills or auras but i wont buy the box only for the heores so i wont play them if it isnt with proxy

Looking at it from 40k perspective, out of all the Blackstone Fortress characters, most of them were utterly useless except for Daedalosus who became almost mandatory in every single AdMech army (fun fact, he was also the only one to have a real support skill, I hope they learned something from this) We'll see if we get a better result this time.

• Thanks 2

On 3/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, Doko said:

So far nothing seems special. The weapon of the wich hunter is 0,6 mortals wounds output that is horrible.

It is a little better than that if you target minis with 2 pv and it may be use like a "free" arcan bolt. But the witch hunters have always been bad...even if they look great 😯

It's extremely rare for "boxed game" characters and units to have any real impact on AoS itself, right? A lot of the time they're just "you can use this mini in AoS as well, if you want to" and in the worst cases they're temporary inclusions that disappear again once the game in question cycles out. Might be best to plan a good "counts-as" AoS use for the heroes, and treat any useful rules as a nice surprise.

That said, I like Octren's hex spell. Depending on what else he does and how many points he is, I could absolutely see him getting time in the sun. (metaphorically - I don't imagine he likes the sun much)

On 3/22/2021 at 11:49 AM, Urauloth said:

It's extremely rare for "boxed game" characters and units to have any real impact on AoS itself, right? A lot of the time they're just "you can use this mini in AoS as well, if you want to" and in the worst cases they're temporary inclusions that disappear again once the game in question cycles out. Might be best to plan a good "counts-as" AoS use for the heroes, and treat any useful rules as a nice surprise.

Underworlds beastmen are genuinely good, some of the warcry cultists are good in StD, but in general, most models like this are just for flavour. I hope this time will be different, because it would serve GW as a chance to update CoS  without actually investing in updating CoS - they should like the upportunity.

1 hour ago, dekay said:

Underworlds beastmen are genuinely good, some of the warcry cultists are good in StD, but in general, most models like this are just for flavour. I hope this time will be different, because it would serve GW as a chance to update CoS  without actually investing in updating CoS - they should like the upportunity.

Adding to this: Shadowstalkers are very good and already very much present in many competitive lists, while Morgwaeth (or how she's spelled) is close to an auto-take in a Hagg Nar list. So it is possible that these characters will be useful, HOWEVER I hope this only happens if you can buy them separately, otherwise it's a very annoying situation of haves and have nots

On 2/22/2021 at 1:01 PM, Double Misfire said:

At least five of these guys (Jelsen Darrock, Emelda Braskov, Glaurio ven Alten III, Cleona Zeitenglae and Octren Grimscry) are all but guaranteed Cities of Sigmar keywords, with the Kurnothi and Kharadon representatives at least usable in Living City and Tempest Eye armies (and as allies to everybody else).

Did they say this?  From your wording it seems you are thinking they will get the keywords.   I'm all for them getting the keywords just wondering if there was anything official.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:11 PM, Popisdead said:

Did they say this?  From your wording it seems you are thinking they will get the keywords.   I'm all for them getting the keywords just wondering if there was anything official.

I made a great big assumption that the five human heroes would be getting the CoS keyword, yep!

The Warhammer Community article has since confirmed Jelsen Darrock being CoS, fingers crossed for the other four... 🤞🤞🤞🤞

On 3/26/2021 at 9:10 AM, Double Misfire said:

I made a great big assumption that the five human heroes would be getting the CoS keyword, yep!

The Warhammer Community article has since confirmed Jelsen Darrock being CoS, fingers crossed for the other four... 🤞🤞🤞🤞

That's good news instead of bad news,. or no news.  yeah it makes sense the Kurnothi/Wanderer should reasonably be CoS.  

1 minute ago, Popisdead said:

That's good news instead of bad news,. or no news.  yeah it makes sense the Kurnothi/Wanderer should reasonably be CoS.  

Going by the previous Kurnothi warband released for Underworlds, I reckon she'll be Sylvaneth instead, so CoS if you play Living City, which face it, you probably already do if you're in it for the Wood Elf types... 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Double Misfire said:

Going by the previous Kurnothi warband released for Underworlds, I reckon she'll be Sylvaneth instead, so CoS if you play Living City, which face it, you probably already do if you're in it for the Wood Elf types... 🤷‍♂️

That's a good point,.. However I'm not 100% committed to her being Kurnothi.  It wouldn't surprise me if she was strictly Wanderer either.

2 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

She's called a Kurnothi here, and her WHQ card has the Sylvaneth keyword on it here, so I wouldn't hold your breath. 😬

I recall seeing that.  I also remember there was a time she was referred to as an Aelf Wanderer wasn't there?  

But logical conclusions.  Guess she's a Sylvaneth Kurnothi.  I wonder then if she will indeed get the CoS keyword in addition to Sylvaneth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the Cursed City heroes: have there been any news regarding their point values? Also, do we know if they are going to be Leaders, or just ordinary units?

Kind of considering picking up one or two of them, but I'm not sure if they will have any place in my SCE army, which is full of Leaders already...

2 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the Cursed City heroes: have there been any news regarding their point values? Also, do we know if they are going to be Leaders, or just ordinary units?

Kind of considering picking up one or two of them, but I'm not sure if they will have any place in my SCE army, which is full of Leaders already...

Here are the points values included with the game. Unfortunately they're all Leaders... https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/5361

5 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Here are the points values included with the game. Unfortunately they're all Leaders... https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/5361

Thanks!

BTW. Is it me or are these characters overpowered? Emelda costs more than Stormcast's Lord-Celestant... and she has the same stats, too! Isn't she supposed to be just a mortal warrior?

As an SCE player, I'm weirded out...

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Thanks!

BTW. Is it me or are these characters overpowered? Emelda costs more than Stormcast's Lord-Celestant... and she has the same stats, too! Isn't she supposed to be just a mortal warrior?

As an SCE player, I'm weirded out...

They're actually very weak and likely no one will use them in competitive setting. What you see highlights the problems with the Stormcast, though. A lot of units are too weak and they're up for an update soon.