Lords of the Mortal Realms - Death Previews

Sception

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/20/warhammer-preview-online-lords-of-the-mortal-realms/

So, on to the Death Stuff...

First up, a new Nighthaunt Hero: the Krulghast Cruciator

image.png.db2507f32d730ef5008e7bfe02230639.png

image.png.91268278f3a6a9eead826caf50eb630e.png

FebPreview Feb20 AoS Content1hchs

This is a Krulghast Cruciator. Once mortals, these phantasmal beings met a gruesome end through the foulest torture imaginable – someone poured out their Agrax Earthshade in front of their very eyes.

New Mounted Wight King!  Unfortunately, this is the shadow we thought might be a blood knight... but still, this guy looks fantastic.

image.png.5baf8a2f7ef938227e5c5a90b53c6a20.png

image.png.6c0dd2eb7f0a95d1b712fe16fefb07b0.png

3y9gu3zvAsYWAy92.jpg

This is the Wight King (although you can paint him any colour that you like) and he’s not coming alone – accompanying him are the numberless hordes of the Deathrattle.

The necromancers are hard at work as we speak, preparing the legions of the undead to march to war later in the year.

from the commentators: "This is a Soulblight Character" and "part of a greater expansion to the Soulblight range" and "it's quite a big miniature, on a 60mm base"

I love this model, it's AMAZING.  Very old school, very Warhammer Armies: Undead.

OK, here's the big stuff, Cursed City

4eaYMg6ZrxH6mSBC.jpg

image.png.dc3c655f573aa15379dd68f2d52653bb.png

LM5R5RwWKwkeBM3p.jpg

One of the Hero characters looks like some sort of necromancer?  Apparently he has a personal history with the villain necromancer.

image.png.6766460de7428d19a30b3af7dd875f3d.png

Villain characters:  Apparently the lead vampire is a Soulblight Ogre of all things. Note that these pictures may not be to scale. with each other.

EDIT: the commentators said Radukar was an ogre during the presentation, but from later released artwork it's pretty clear they were mistaken.  He's a beefy boy, but not an ogre.

image.png.d74edd82ebecb4b0aa57d098be033270.png

image.png.1cd7da5787fdb272284f3fd46cad0a74.png

Bat Swarms:

image.png.7bfbcb73828cf72dcf87da5f3c6895b3.png

Rat Swarms:

image.png.3d4df8e96154a4cf9f614d7cd683abad.png

Big Ogre Zombies

image.png.9f6a34fcf0f61cc47d3426988e0ef858.png

Little Zombies:

image.png.29366f99554ac241fef3184eddd58ade.png

Skellingtons, in what looks to be an AoS ready 'easy build' box of 10.

image.png.a5d8c5fbdeff35523d047e05f61425e1.png

Half-feral Lesser Vampire Thralls: for the first time, I'm now convinced that there will actually be a new vampire unit.

image.png.66dd9174e7345742e044e8da1242ef29.png

Plastic Varghulf?  Not quite.  It's called something like a Varg-Skyr?  something like that?

image.png.125f8258c9a4f4c86a9c006e866e6930.png

image.png.1b319e9bf1c405253285b76c3c1cddad.png

Edited by Sception
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

No official reveal of the Soulblight Gravelords yet, but we have learned that their release is planned for later this year, which is earlier than I had really expected though Covid may yet delay that.  We also got confirmation that it won't be a pure vampire faction.  At the very least, it will include deathrattle units as well.  Which means we can probably expect it to be 'Legions of Nagash 2.0' by another name.

If Cursed City can be taken as a Gravelords preview, and I think it can, then we will be seeing a new Skeleton Warriors box (I can only hope the models are re=packaged in a box of 20 for AoS release, because otherwise trying to collect a unit of them will be absolute bloody murder), and it also seems we'll be seeing at least one new vampire infantry unit - though I'm not sure these half-feral, scantily clad warriors are exactly what those who have been asking for such a unit had in mind.  Unfortunately blood knights are shifted back into the "GW probably knows they have to do them, but there's been no actual sign of them what so ever".

Not sure on new nighthaunt book.  The commentators mentioned the hero, along with a stormcast one also previewed, was part of a set of new heroes coming out for various factions, which to me made them sound like stand alone hero releases, not entirely new release waves & battle tomes.  A new nighthaunt book can't be too far out given how old the current one is, but I wouldn't take this guy to be confirmation that it's imminent exactly.

I hope, that the WHQ:CC stuff will be readily available for SB GL, not like the Archregent for FEC (for a long time)...

and if they buff up the skellis that 20 will suffice, why not. Keep zombies as trash mob and establish Skellis at grave guard power, sounds ok for me.

Man, how many times is my browser going to eat my post?

So, for the third time, I can understand where some might be disappointed, but this all looks great to me.  The mounted wight king is fantastic, and confirmation that there will even still be mounted wight kings going forward, something that was far more in doubt than new blood knights, imo.  And Cursed city continues to look amazing, with great new skeleton and zombie models (though I'm not sure I like the 'pinned to their grave stones' gimmick of the zombies), multiple potential new units (undead swarms, zombie ogres, infantry vampire thralls).  The russian vampire ogre may not be exactly what I was hoping for out of the big boss vampire lord, sure, but there's a second necromancer in the box that I personally like even more than the first, and Underworlds is already giving us a box set of four fantastic new plastic vampire lords, plus the leaked lord I still quite like, so we won't exactly be lacking there.

So yeah, not quite everything I'd hoped for, but I'm still pretty darn hyped about all this.

EDIT: the commentators said Radukar was an ogre during the presentation, but from later released artwork it's pretty clear they were mistaken.  He's a beefy boy, but not an ogre.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 5

On 2/20/2021 at 10:44 AM, Honk said:

I hope, that the WHQ:CC stuff will be readily available for SB GL, not like the Archregent for FEC (for a long time)...

and if they buff up the skellis that 20 will suffice, why not. Keep zombies as trash mob and establish Skellis at grave guard power, sounds ok for me.

with these new armored up skeleton warriors, I could easily see grave guard getting ditched as a separate unit.  I hope not, I really like my wights, but it could happen, and it wouldn't be the end of the world to me.

So, what do people make of the ogre vampire lord and zombies?  They've got a very distinct aethetic to them pretty far removed from the more generic gothic undead look of the rest of the models in this box.  Do you think they're unique figures for this specific box game, or do you expect them to make their way into the eventual battle tome?  We haven't really seen rules, let alone models, for non-human vampires before.  I'd personally love to see an ogre zombie unit, but I'm not sure what I think of an ogre vampire.  Sounds kind of weird.  Like, imagine if it was actually really good, and suddenly every 'soulblight' army is led by, or at least includes, this big ogre guy with his distinct, clashing fashion aesthetic.

Edited by Sception

1 minute ago, Sception said:

it wouldn't be the end of the world to me.

Sure thing... I dare say nothing to throw oneself off the Minecraft towers.

the varghulf look alike is cool and will get used, whatever his official name.

the feral thralls might not be everybody’s favorite, but I thing the poses alone are a good sign. Who can’t stand them: greenstuff and pliers, darkelves and the bit box... should be pretty easy to un-feral them without too much hassle 

zombies...well funky, but could be ignored for AoS

if the gameplay is good, I’m in and if not, I’m still optimistic for soulblight.

I’m wondering if the Skeletons in this box will be a special unit and not replacements for the existing skeletons or grave guard.  Almost like a regiment of renown from the Total war series.

You can take one unit of Ulfenwatch guard in your army that may have between 10 and 40 models.  Blah blah...

I like the models a lot but the skeletons cloaks and hats seem to fit in the same kislev/Cossack style as the Ogor models and less the traditional gothic style.  

I won’t be disappointed either way.

Edited by Siphon

This stuff all looks amazing. I built my own mounted Wight King model, so it looks like I can relegate him down to banner bearer in order to make room for this new Wight King. Nice to see new bat swarm models too. The zombies look pretty cool. The Gravelords seem to be shaping up as LoN 2.0, which is fine with me.

• Like 1

A note, looking at the picture of the whole set laid out, yeah, the ogre vampire in the close up pictures is not shown to scale.  His base size looks to be the same as the necromancer.  I did a quick re-scaling, and he's more like this:

image.png.b1ea60e29b0e0367a4b8c6c9bcf47664.png

Still not exactly huge by ogre standards, but distinctly larger than what is already a pretty big dude in the necromancer, and a fair bit bigger than other infantry sized models in the set.

image.png.122a30fae95494e6f5368b23a0680e6d.png

Edited by Sception

New OBR warband was not in this preview.  They're set for release in... May, I think?  Can't be bothered to check at the moment, but it won't be too much longer until we see them.  The warband before them is the feral orcs, and those were in this preview today.  Some people think the OBR warband will preview a new foot hero, because the silhouette for them on the underworlds release schedule shows a big walking dude with an axe.  But the rumor engine picture for that axe showed a mortisan cartouche  on it, and the silhouette has a head crest very similar to the soulreaper, so rather than a new hero it's probably just an alternate soulreaper model.  Still, it should prove to be a good bases for custom OBR Anvil of Apotheosis heroes, what with the current white dwarf having rules for them.  Obviously not matched play legal, but still.

If i'm going to be honest apart from the New Varghulf thing nothing on the hostile side in the Warhammer Quest box really interests me. I've never liked zombies and prefer the old skegs over the new ones,  maybe they'll grow on me. 

The Wight King though! Classic updated and perfect imo. Disappointed no Abhorash or further actual soulblight gravelords reveal, the whole Lumineth thing really bored me to death. How big is that army going to be?

Noone mentioning that the new Wight King is officially confirmed to be for the Soulblight Gravelords?

152501918_1642439429286177_1019035285239

I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get an official "reveal" for the Gravelords tho. But the preview post on WHC talked about the Necromancers being hard at work for more deathrattle goodness "later this year". 

Seeing a new Wight King and plastic batswarm models is a really good sign to me. This most likely means that most of the LoN units will make the transition to the Soulblight Gravelords! 

I also don't get why so many refer to Radukar as an "Ogre Vampire". He's just a bulky dude. I can't find anywhere that he is supposed to be a Vampire-Ogre. I'm also not too keen on the Corsac look of those units. On their own they are fine, but if they indeed will be playable in the Gravelords their aesthetic will clash with the baroque looks of the other units.

• Like 1