Warcry- Grand Alliance Battletomes

SerialMoM

I'm looking forward to these and the new Tome of Champions.  I'll only need the Chaos and Order books so I don't mind them splitting them up.  I play Warcry mainly for the narrative quests so anything that adds new quests and monsters to diversify my games is a plus for me.  

Once this whole pandemic has run its course (and the gods only know how long my fellow Americans will choose to drag this out) I'd love to start up my school's gaming club again.  These books will be perfect for some after school Warcry gaming!

One of the best features of AoS for me has always been the massive number of battleplans with over 100 of them by the end of the first year.  I'm glad to see Warcry following that pattern.  There have to be dozens of quest for every warband at this point and the more the better!

• Like 1

Yep, very happy with what they did for Cities of SIgmar. Giving everything rules. I guess Hammerhal was just a taste of things to come, and this certainly supercedes my work done on giving the rest of the fighters cards.

A few things I noticed was:

Freeguild General looks to have the Elite runemark (For Cavalry charge), rather than the Destroyer runemark.

The Longbeard with Ancestral Weapon and Shield having a better attack profile than the Ironbreaker just feels like they just needed to make the card different. Funnily it's the opposite in Age of Sigmar, as Ironbreakers are the ones with extra attacks.

I don't really get why the Dreadspear is the only spear wielder in the list to lose 1 attack (Both Freeguild Spearmen and Eternal Guard have 3). The points are fair, but seems a bit of an odd choice.

As mentioned though, overally very happy with the Cities. I love that you can basically build whatever faction you want, mixed, dark aelf, wood aelf, duardin, human. You can even build High Aelves pretty easily for the most part substituting cards.

I really like how the abilities basically has some of the same, and some city specific abilities to give a different feel to how you would play the different cities.

Now the only problem is... where to start!?

As an said though, It would've been nice to see a bit of a rebalancing occur with points as part of these books. People have complained that toughness is generally pointed a bit too high currently, and I feel it's a bit of a missed opportunity since they're basically re-printing every single card to not adjust some points. I think they don't want to invalidate anyone's physical cards, but that basically means we're going to be waiting until Warcry 2 for any real fixes. Which is a shame, I have a metal Seraphon warband on my list of Warbands to do, and Javelin Skinks are just far too pricey to be competitive.

Overall, very excited about what these books have done for the game. I think some people don't like the Age of Sigmar warbands being in Warcry, but to me, it just allows the game to be used as more of a better Age of Sigmar skirmish game, and can feature settings outside the Eightpoints (even if that is the main place of narrative focus at the moment).

• Like 3

Cool I can take some Fleshhounds with my Bloodbound. Couldn’t do that previously. I’ve been wanting to do a cult of cannibal headhunters using Bloodreveivers but though it was kind of a bummer I couldn’t take Fleshhounds previously, now I can, so now my Bloodreivers will have some hunting hounds. On the table they’ll be a horde sized war band, comparatively speaking. Good times. Hopefully the books will be available as ePubs, otherwise I’ll have to get a hard copy.

Edited by Hero_Of_Khorne
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, frostfire said:

Question here: do they say if you can use ally faction abilities in the new rules? For example, if I take a Slaughter queen from DOK in my SCE warband, can I still use DOK's abilities by the allied Slaughter queen?

I read it more closely then I otherwise would have. And I can’t find confirmation of denial on this. 
It does state the grand allegiance book supersedes the monsters and mercenaries book. 

nor can I find a ruling on it in the core book. 

so my conclusion is: you can. You have a list of abilities, the slaughter queen matches all requirements. So why not? 

• Like 1

Having gone through all these books; they are fantastic. More warbands, more options, incorporation of mercenary heroes as leader options AND they can still be mercenaries too! Updates to the monsters & mercenaries rules, new abilities, some rebalancing where it was needed (looking at you Bray Shaman). And my favorite of all; FLUFF! Oodles of fluff! To start each grand alliance has a run down of what it is and more importantly why/how it is in the Eightpoints. Then every warband gets it's own rundown on the same! No matter what you play there is now an answer to 'why am I here?' It is a fantastic base for writing background & narrative for one's warband and I am so happy to have it.

• Like 6

On 12/8/2020 at 4:23 PM, Hero_Of_Khorne said:

Cool I can take some Fleshhounds with my Bloodbound.

How is this possible now? I can´t find a rule that says you can take fighters from different warbands. It´s just monsters and heros from a different faction you can take. Did I overlook anything here?

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

How is this possible now? I can´t find a rule that says you can take fighters from different warbands. It´s just monsters and heros from a different faction you can take. Did I overlook anything here?

fleshhounds are now on Bloodbound lists, as well as gryph-hounds that can be taken by sacrosanct, warrior and vanguard.

also... I'm checking... ¿is chaos the only book that has allies? 

Edited by Gotz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gotz said:

fleshhounds are now on Bloodbound lists, as well as gryph-hounds that can be taken by sacrosanct, warrior and vanguard.

also... I'm checking... ¿is chaos the only book that has allies? 

Destruction have the Gobbapalooza as allies I think.

I guess they're basically just future proofing the books so you have the rules for allies no matter what grand alliance book(s) you pick up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Destruction have the Gobbapalooza as allies I think.

I guess they're basically just future proofing the books so you have the rules for allies no matter what grand alliance book(s) you pick up.

In the chaos book allies are listed at the beginning of the book 😑 as always no consistency between books 😂