Warcry- Grand Alliance Battletomes

SerialMoM

at first glance looks interesting, but let's wait until we know the contents and pricing.

2 hours ago, Kramig said:

I guess they will replace the monster and mercenary book. 

I have just a doubt now: what will be in the tome of champion 2020?

They probably will go for the usual open/narrative/competitive split. So more or less what we see in Generals Handbook. Ideas for tournament play, gather white dwarf (and maybe develop further) material and maybe quests, narrative tables and encounters for narrative mode. 

I've read in several places that this books will let you mix and match units from the same GA to make your warband and not be limited to existed lists... did they say/hint at something on the stream? or is people just imagining stuff after reading the word GA?

Edited by Gotz

I like the idea but Eddie spent most of the air time talking about this book helping Warcry players move to AoS during the stream so I too will wait till I look through the leaked pages before I commit. More quests is great though. This game's narrative aspect is why my group is playing it. 

Take all three of the current books (Core, M&M, and ToC19), take everything out that’s dedicated to one force or another, fill gaps with missing information (Card printouts, Allies, Additional Quests) and you have your book.

I see Cave Creatures and Undead Hordes getting more fleshed out in the Destruction/Death codices respectively, along with more big monsters.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:28 PM, Gotz said:

I've read in several places that this books will let you mix and match units from the same GA to make your warband and not be limited to existed lists... did they say/hint at something on the stream? or is people just imagining stuff after reading the word GA?

Man that would be really great and make it a must buy for me! Although I would have preferred those 4 books to be compiled in one tome...

4 hours ago, Onslaught said:

Man that would be really great and make it a must buy for me! Although I would have preferred those 4 books to be compiled in one tome...

If you're not going to use cards to play and are the sole warcry "provider" in the gaming group I think is not a bad idea to have different books.

Probably most people, as with AoS will stick to a faction/warband, so probably would be ok to just have the pieces they want.

But if you are a warband hoarder (as I am XD) and use the cards (or a tablet) for ease of use, it would had been nice (and cheaper) to have everything in one book

1 hour ago, Gotz said:

But if you are a warband hoarder (as I am XD), it would had been nice (and cheaper) to have everything in one book

That's me really, so yeah, one book would have helped! What I particularly like in skirmish games such as Warcry is the possibility to paint a few dudes, be done with it and paint something else completely different. Total price tag probably adds up to a couple of full AOS armies, but I get a lot more variety both in painting and playing! 

Edited by Onslaught

2 hours ago, Onslaught said:

That's me really, so yeah, one book would have helped! What I particularly like in skirmish games such as Warcry is the possibility to paint a few dudes, be done with it and paint something else completely different. Total price tag probably adds up to a couple of full AOS armies, but I get a lot more variety both in painting and playing! 

there's this debate about if warcry should had gone full Necromunda or full KillTeam instead of the inbetween that we got.

I think it's a nice midpoint were if you don't want to invest much you can use your terrain and models and just start playing with the core book. And from there you can get as far as you want.

The recent leaks suggest that factions are getting a lot of new units with the new GA books. So the GW comments about bringing warcry in line with AOS make a lot of sense.

They're also expanding the abilities section for every warband pretty massively, going from 6 abilities each to 10-11. Half the abilities will always tie to leaders, which I think is sweet because the leader is a tax for most warbands in the game right now. Giving them better abilities will make them feel like actual leaders, and also give the warband a vastly different feel based on which leader you take. Opening up multiple playstyles to one warband is really nice.

Hopefully the Chaos book contains some sort of buff for the original Warcry-only warbands, so that they can keep up. Having access to 4 fewer abilities than everyone else might make it tough to play catch up in power level.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, Docthe3rd said:

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about these, but will probably buy them one at a time instead of all of them at once. Warcry is my main game at this point, so any new content is good for me, but I worry about a potential "good stuff war band" list...

Take away the optimum and you’ll have my general stance. I really enjoy Warcry, which is my primary game right now, and liked that little niche it held between Necromuda and Kill Team. I also really enjoyed Kill Team when it first came out and still think it’s a wonderful game, but everyone I played with has since moved onto 40k proper and quit playing Kill Team. This left Kill Team as a dead game within my little gaming circle and I’m really hoping these books don’t cause the same thing to happen to Warcry. While I have armies for AoS proper (whereas I have zero interest in building a 40k army) I don’t really want to play larger AoS games and I’m only interested in small, quick skirmish games.

• 2 weeks later...

I am extremely excited for these. I expected a basic bare-bones content collection (as in, what's on the cards just all in a book) with a few new warbands added to each. And I was excited for that, as the convenience factor there for someone who needs to be able to reference any warband is quite large. Then immediately comment came out detailing the contents and I went from 'want' to 'WANT!'

For me I would like all four be the same book, but I understand that a lot of players will only want to reference a few. My buddy who does Cities of Sigmar, Stormcast, and Lumineth will be pretty happy about not needing to pay for the content of the other three grand alliances. And I imagine there is a much larger portion of players who  will only want info from two .

• Like 1

It's turn game too full AoS Skirmish version, it not be a warcry anymore. Starting chaos bands now it's no't first persons and heroes but more outsider withouth cavaly, monsters, brutal heroes and generals. It's crush all first idea about chaos wastes and bla bla bla Archaon chosen lalalala. Only full teams of AoS armies will stay.  So i stil lwait real "Heroes" for old band, i mean new models, boxes, stats, not stupid "conversion your generic chaos lord in own band style". And i mean its good idea about stand alone AoS skirmish, because basic skirmish was a junk, and warcry rules more better. But.... how be a start idea and bands? 

• Confused 4

I'm looking forward to the GA books, maybe they are a little bit like the Index Books early 8th in 40k. 

I wasn't very interested in warcry when the roumor was its only chaos warbands. I like the idea and the setting and most of all the rules. Whith the idea of only chaos and to become a varanguard, ist sounds more like a small board game to me, like the Khorne Arena Game a few years ago. There would not be much to add to a game like this.

I'm glad they added  AoS factions, balanced or not. Those who want to play the game with only the chaos warbands can totally do so the basic game has a lot of options on its own, and those who don't like them have ton of other options to play the game. For me warcry is like a sandbox skirmish game. I can play the basic game or can create my own scenarios, campagnes, quests, stories and terrian. The lore is greate but there ist not very much of it, GW should add more to the books or the campagnes. 

I hope they continue with the warband cards after GA books, really like them and think they are very useful ingame.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...