Hey just wondering if anyone has any theories about the other 4 mortarch of nagash?

He has always had 9.

9 advisors, 9 dark lords, 9 Mortarchs (end times)

He currently has;

Arkhan the Black: Mortarch of Sacrement

Mannfred Von Carstein: Mortarch of Night

Neferata: Mortarch of Blood

Lady Olynder: Mortarch of Grief

Orpheon Katakros: Mortarch of the Necropolis

That's 5, Mortarchs usually are a total of 9 so where is the other 4?  I think Vlad and Krell are good solid choices, maybe/hopefully ushoran, abhorash, U'soran/Melkhior, drachenfels.

Personally I'd prefer them to be, mostly, new characters.

They didn't get too much of the spotlight in the Soul Wars novel but in the brief time they had I liked how Josh characterised Crelis Arul as the Zombie/Deadwalker Queen and Grand Prince Yaros as a Deathrattle King, and both of those are factions that could be expanded one day with related Mortarchs.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I think its more interesting to think of this from how / what Nagash and the wider game needs from Mortarchs rather than any particular character.

Firstly I imagine with Nagash demanding that all souls belong to him and that being the core of his conflict with Sigmar I can imagine he isn't really a big fan of the IDK using stealing souls and using them to keep themselves alive. As such a Mortarch of the Deep / Abyss would be fitting (yay vampirates!!!).

I could also see Nagash wanting to bring the FEC in house as it were by appointing them a proper leader. Could line up with a refresh and expansion of the FEC line as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

I think its more interesting to think of this from how / what Nagash and the wider game needs from Mortarchs rather than any particular character.

Firstly I imagine with Nagash demanding that all souls belong to him and that being the core of his conflict with Sigmar I can imagine he isn't really a big fan of the IDK using stealing souls and using them to keep themselves alive. As such a Mortarch of the Deep / Abyss would be fitting (yay vampirates!!!).

I could also see Nagash wanting to bring the FEC in house as it were by appointing them a proper leader. Could line up with a refresh and expansion of the FEC line as well.

Considering that FEC  were made by Ushoran, and that he was originally supposed to be a Mortarch in Shyish before his cousin Neferata cursed him which broke his mind. I think they might make him one at some point.

8 hours ago, JPjr said:

Personally I'd prefer them to be, mostly, new characters.

They didn't get too much of the spotlight in the Soul Wars novel but in the brief time they had I liked how Josh characterised Crelis Arul as the Zombie/Deadwalker Queen and Grand Prince Yaros as a Deathrattle King, and both of those are factions that could be expanded one day with related Mortarchs.

Considering  this from the Grand Alliance: Death battletome.

At the top of the hierarchy of death are the Deathlords, the MortarchsNagash is the supreme lord of the undead and claims service from all dwell in the Realm of Shyish and jealously claims dominion over all spirits of the dead. At the top of the hierarchy of death are the Deathlords, the Mortarchs whose lives and memories stretch back to the World-that-was. Guarding them like royal bodyguards are the Morghasts, powerful winged undead creations of bone and shadow that fight with ghostly blades, the Morghast Harbingers, and spectral glaives, the Morghast Archai.

and the fact that both of them are listed as Deathlords. I think they might be, which would still leave 2.

Edited by Shadowcortax

4 hours ago, Shadowcortax said:

Considering that FEC  were made by Ushoran, and that he was originally supposed to be a Mortarch in Shyish before his cousin Neferata cursed him which broke his mind. I think they might make him one at some point.

Looking at the Carrion King also known as (Sumeros Summerking, the Blood-Rose Prince and Ushoran the Handsome), he already was a Vampire in the Age of Myth. The Ghouls we know as flesh-eater Courts and there delusion came after he was imprisioned by Nagash.

2 hours ago, Shadowcortax said:

and the fact that both of them are listed as Deathlords. I think they might be, which would still leave 2.

I don't know if Deathlords and Mortarchs should be exactly the same (because you wouldn't need 2 Names for the same thing). Maybe it's more the case that the strongest Deathlords are the Mortarchs. Temra ven-Drak in "Nagash: Undying King" was also called a Deathlord in the end, and the Source is from February 2016, a time where the lore still was in it's beginning. We don't even know what GW wanted to do with Deathlords and Mortarchs back then.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Looking at the Carrion King also known as (Sumeros Summerking, the Blood-Rose Prince and Ushoran the Handsome), he already was a Vampire in the Age of Myth. The Ghouls we know as flesh-eater Courts and there delusion came after he was imprisioned by Nagash.

I read that he was handsome when he first showed up in the age of myth, but then the whole curse thing happened. He then made the Flesh eater courts, who he spread his delusions to. Eventually nagash got annoyed, caught him and locked him up in a special cage. When Sigmar tore through Shyish smashing everything in his way, when he threw his huge hissy fit. He smashed the cage and Ushoran got free.

6 minutes ago, Shadowcortax said:

I read that he was handsome when he first showed up in the age of myth, but then the whole curse thing happened. He then made the Flesh eater courts, who he spread his delusions to. Eventually nagash got annoyed, caught him and locked him up in a special cage. When Sigmar tore through Shyish smashing everything in his way, when he threw his huge hissy fit. He smashed the cage and Ushoran got free.

Considering the Battletome of 2019, the source of his downfall is unknown, but that he lost the favor of Nagash and became a monster a Nagashs punishment.

The first mentioning of the spreading delusion was actually after Sigmar smashed the cage and the Carrion King tried to rebuild his court

I personally hope they're new characters. I do like old characters reappearing sometimes, but AoS needs to forge its own identity alongside expanding WHFB's post end times story.  Nagash, Neferata, Arkhan, and Manfred are all old world - which is fine - but the other death mortarch characters being new could help AoS story in the long run

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I personally hope they're new characters. I do like old characters reappearing sometimes, but AoS needs to forge its own identity alongside expanding WHFB's post end times story.  Nagash, Neferata, Arkhan, and Manfred are all old world - which is fine - but the other death mortarch characters being new could help AoS story in the long run

So far we have 3 old, 2 new, and 4 unknown. 

We know nagash is actively looking for individuals to become Mortarchs. Some new people could be nice, but so could some old people with new models and backstory as to what they have been doing all this time.

17 minutes ago, Shadowcortax said:

We know nagash is actively looking for individuals to become Mortarchs. Some new people could be nice, but so could some old people with new models and backstory as to what they have been doing all this time.

I think the problem with the old characters is that they either had to be in the Realm of Chaos and are coming back (like Gotrek) or a god remembered them and forged them that way.

In the lore of Neferata, Mannfred and especially Arkhan it is mentioned that Nagash Created them, the way he remembered them in the old world and because of this they are bound to him (with the productplacement that the 3 mortarchs were new models in the Endtimes like Nagash himself, and wasted potential not bringing them into AoS).

Bringing back another Carstein for example would most likely raise some questions like, "why didn't we hear about him before" or "why had Nagash thought, that he needed another Carstein now".

In fact Katakros was already a weird one in case of lore, with his imprisonment by Sigmar in a Stormvault, but it should be easier to create new Mortarchs instead of trying to bring old once back.

2 hours ago, Shadowcortax said:

Most of them just vanished in the End Times. If Nagash brings them back then all they did throughout the Ages was still being vanished. There's no backstory.

If we want to speculate about new Mortarchs then they need to be linked to an actual army or legion. Otherwise it's just mentioning random names without any context. For example: Varkos Varactyr, new Mortarch of the Abyss, head of the Wraith Fleet: Soulblight corsairs on spectral galleons. Even mentioned in the AoS lore.

6 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

In the End Times Kemmler defected to Chaos and was right vaporized by Arkhan.

I hope Krell will be one (the name is cool and ordinary bones boys truly need some love!)

I also hope for another Soulblight Vampire

Forgot that happened to him to be honest, oh well I would be more than happy for a new necromancer character.

As for Krell there was a rumor engine with a bonereaper battleaxe. Though from what I remember he was very thoroughly smashed into prices. So if it is Krell remade it could be for Underworlds, but it could be Warcry warband with the units being made fragments of him. Most likely something unrelated to Krell. 

2020-03-31.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bayul said:

Most of them just vanished in the End Times. If Nagash brings them back then all they did throughout the Ages was still being vanished. There's no backstory.

If we want to speculate about new Mortarchs then they need to be linked to an actual army or legion. Otherwise it's just mentioning random names without any context. For example: Varkos Varactyr, new Mortarch of the Abyss, head of the Wraith Fleet: Soulblight corsairs on spectral galleons. Even mentioned in the AoS lore.

Agreed. Good point.

2 minutes ago, xking said:

Nagash is actively  looking for  Ushoran in lore.

Yes he is.

So that makes 3 Deathlords (Crelis Arul  deadwalker, Grand Prince Yaros deathrattle, Temra ven-Drak deathrattle/FEC)

Ushoran

Vampirate (Varkos Varactyr)

Krell  (slumbering in multiple tombs in pieces, both Nagash and Khorne have people trying to find all the pieces before the other.)

The Blood Dragon (don't think he wants to do it, or leave his mountain for that matter.)

The Nameless (nearly impossible for him to have died, his castle is somewhere in the Mortal Realms. Someone spotted it before the died.)

• Like 2