Cities of Squig conversion idea

TGCMactar

Hi guys,

i am starting to plan a city of sigmar army conversion to squigs once GW opens their orders again.  I am planning on trying to convert demigryph knights out of the squig hoppers, does anyone know if a single demigryph rider would be able to somehow fit on 2 squigs? (2 squigs otherwise it would be even more disproportionate than it is)  If the actual demigryph riders are too big, would the riders on like the elf models work better? 

im planning on using mangler squigs alot. Somehow put the ironblaster cannon and bitz onto and call it a luminark or steam tank  and the other half of the mangler with left over wings  for a griffon general. 

Do you guys think i can use grots as freeguild guard / bowmen? I'm only using the list in a local store. 

5 hours ago, TGCMactar said:

Hi guys,

i am starting to plan a city of sigmar army conversion to squigs once GW opens their orders again.  I am planning on trying to convert demigryph knights out of the squig hoppers, does anyone know if a single demigryph rider would be able to somehow fit on 2 squigs? (2 squigs otherwise it would be even more disproportionate than it is)  If the actual demigryph riders are too big, would the riders on like the elf models work better? 

im planning on using mangler squigs alot. Somehow put the ironblaster cannon and bitz onto and call it a luminark or steam tank  and the other half of the mangler with left over wings  for a griffon general. 

Do you guys think i can use grots as freeguild guard / bowmen? I'm only using the list in a local store. 

I have absolutely no idea how to make this or practical experience, but sounds like it is gonna be super cool!

6 hours ago, TGCMactar said:

Hi guys,

I'll give you a few pics with comparisons. I only have Zarbag's Gitz in Gloomspite though.

For the Demigryphs, they are on SLIGHTLY larger cavalry bases than the typical boars/knights/etc. But a rider for a Demigryph is just a guy, so no way will he somehow fit on two squigs.

Many people have converted Demigryph Knights out of old Empire/Brettonia knights by giving them a little Grayph Hound as a hunting hound. You can do a similar thing: get the right basesize for Demigryphs (the 75x42mm) and put a Boingrot Bounder on it, with an unmounted bouncing squig as his hunting hound. That should work!

As for the other grots, they share the same basesize as Freeguild, so that'll be fine, but I'd convert them up as much as you can to make them unique. You need to make this not look like a Gloomspite list and like a Cities list. You can start with actual rifles. You can also go all in with feathers and such to mimic Freeguild. You can put supplies and packs around them like they look more organized and ready, carrying cargo and ammunition and such. 

You can take a lot of notes from the Grot Revolution projects that always pop up in 40k. Grots as Imperial Guard, with stolen human tanks, gear, and uniforms. Go all out, this project sounds awesome! 

13 hours ago, TGCMactar said:

does anyone know if a single demigryph rider would be able to somehow fit on 2 squigs?

Are you intending to have the 2 Squigs side by side with the rider having a foot on each, like some rodeo trick?  That could look pretty awesome.

17 minutes ago, TGCMactar said:

i was talking about the hoppers but yeah i don't think the thicc demigryph riders would be able to work for this.  I will probably try them on elves tho

Maybe you could have two squigs, the one behind grabbing the other by the tail, or strap a plank between the two for a saddle, still quite small for a demi, but it would be looking nice.

Or, two squigs on leashes, with someone behind it on rollerblades.

22 hours ago, TGCMactar said:

does anyone know if a single demigryph rider would be able to somehow fit on 2 squigs?

Let me try to help, here a demigryph and differents squid for size check:

image.jpeg.1acbfdea7ad652ba595988a593e3fe73.jpeg

From left to right:

- Squid from squig herd unit

- Squig from boundrez unit

- Demigryph Knight

- Loonboss on giant squig

Top view:

image.jpeg.2f36aaac885987c81be99bf370dd3a49.jpeg

So, picture but also when having model in hand let me think that the Knight may fit not too bad on a squid from Boingrot Bounderz/Squig Hoppers kits.

You could even make an epic version with the Giant Squig but the squig may even be too big!

Edited by RedMax

1 hour ago, RedMax said:

As I didnt glue my General from General on griffon kit (which more or less same size than a DemiGryph Knight, just bigger hat), I can show you what it look like

when he take place on "passenger seat" behing a Squig Hopper.

image.jpeg.5577b4560c6c3ebff4ec290a8db61e4c.jpegimage.jpeg.bf26c3e0e9eec235af5de1c4520020c7.jpeg

This looks wrong!

What is he doing to that squig hopper 😳😆

Love the cities of squigmar idea!

• Haha 2

Hi guys,

i have progressed a little bit with what i have, constant kit destroying of my older models that i don't plan to use. 

"Freeguild" general and some "freeguild guard"

one of my first ever conversions so don't be too harsh :P

still not too sure of what color i should go for though, i'll probably get some order weapons and get the grots to carry those around. 

WIN_20200501_13_38_23_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200501_13_38_35_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200501_13_38_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200501_13_39_35_Pro.jpg

Edited by TGCMactar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TGCMactar said:

Hi guys,

i have progressed a little bit with what i have, constant kit destroying of my older models that i don't plan to use. 

"Freeguild" general and some "freeguild guard"

one of my first ever conversions so don't be too harsh :P

still not too sure of what color i should go for though, i'll probably get some order weapons and get the grots to carry those around. 

WIN_20200501_13_38_23_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200501_13_38_35_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200501_13_38_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200501_13_39_35_Pro.jpg

This is awesome! Are you going to do a whole army? 

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

This is awesome! Are you going to do a whole army? 

well thats the plan! The bits for these grots shouldn't be too costly. All my monsters and warmachines hopefully come from the monsters of the gloomspite! 

I think i have a lot of flexibility,  i have plans for a "shroom king" on a "griffon" 

• Like 2

Hi again, does anyone know if the new giant squig would be able to "merge" with the gyrocopter? looking at the sprue images side to side (not very efficient) it looks like the outer parts of the gyrocopter could fit on the squig.  i think they would look amazing if i could somehow pull it off

99120209057_LoonbossGiantCaveSquig04.jpg99120205024_Gyrocopter07.jpg