Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

29 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:
  • The Realm-lords are exactly as much lords of the Realm as we thought (as in not really ...). 

I really like the confirmation of this piece of information. IMO, it's what leaves most space for story growth in Hysh :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

That’s some cool confirmations of stuff. I’m not getting the book until tomorrow, could you perchance chuck the pic of Tyrion up?

Also, wander if we’re getting the Eltharion article tonight. 

There is really not much more about Tyrion. Only things we know already. He is blind, but can see through Teclis eyes and by other methods. The Lumineth are devoted to both him and Teclis (some more to one, some more to the other). 

Tyrion valors honour, and is a teacher of both philosophy and battle. That’s it. The rest is how he looks (blindfolded, awesome shiny silver armour, really bright (blinding for mortals) sword). To be honest - he seems to be the farthest away of all the aelven gods, he is the only one without an own entry, and nothing is said about his nations. I have the feeling that if we get more models, they’ll be also Teclis associated. 

I think we’ll get Eltharion, but will be too late today for me : ) 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's correct to say the mountain faction is only from Ymetrica or that the Alarith are the best warriors of the Lumineth.

All that the book says is that the Aelementiri of  mountainous Ymetrica are warriors without peer.  Nothing about them being the best, or the lumineth's warrior caste, ect.

Now for some context, in the 1st online preview, Phil kelly said that Avelanor's mountain is in Ymetrica, and that it is the tallest peak in hysh. It seems reasonable to assume that Ymetrica has the most skilled/ numerous Alarith Aelementiri, but not that they are the lumineths best warriors.

Edited by Athrawes

30 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

I don't think it's correct to say the mountain faction is only from Ymetrica or that the Alarith are the best warriors of the Lumineth.

All that the book says is that the Aelementiri of  mountainous Ymetrica are warriors without peer.  Nothing about them being the best, or the lumineth's warrior caste, ect.

Now for some context, in the 1st online preview, Phil kelly said that Avelanor's mountain is in Ymetrica, and that it is the tallest peak in hysh. It seems reasonable to assume that Ymetrica has the most skilled/ numerous Alarith Aelementiri, but not that they are the lumineths best warriors.

I should have written Teclian nation’s maybe (because there is nothing about the Tyrionic nations), but they put in Zaitrec as mystics, Syar as artisans and Ymetrica aswarriors. I’m sure they all have all (we have the Stonemage after all, and Ymetricans make those spirit masks), but it seems that the Ymetricans are the most warrior like. It’s their defining feature. I didn’t write caste. I read without peer = best. We’ll know more once we have the Battletome.

• Like 1

I was certain they'd tie the Eltharion Total War news in with the Lumineth article, but alas, one extra day isn't so bad! It's great to see him done justice in Total War, here's hoping he evokes his old badass self for the Realmlords! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jaskier said:

I was certain they'd tie the Eltharion Total War news in with the Lumineth article, but alas, one extra day isn't so bad! It's great to see him done justice in Total War, here's hoping he evokes his old badass self for the Realmlords! 

Eh, another misstep in my opinion. I knew the new lord pack in total war would have been Eltharion just to match the lumineth hype that is coming out, but I am disappointed we have something on zoats on the day the dlc news dropped.

I will still say that I am still very excited for any news with eltharion, and I am dying to see his stats more than anything.

Edited by Acid_Nine

So after a long think in the shower, two questions have popped into my head that I wanted to explore.

Question #1:  Does anyone else feel as though GW has no idea what they want to do with Tyrion?  I think this is partly to blame from both the setting in general and with the Stormcast in particular.  In the Old World, there was no "main character."  You could argue that the Empire was the main faction, but Karl Franz was by no means the focus of WHFB.  I think that was one of the things that makes that setting so popular.  No matter where your personal allegience lay, you had heroes and villains of equal stature to each other in each faction.  In AoS, however, Sigmar is front and center, as he should be in a setting with his own name on it.  But with that single subtle shift, it forced Sigmar to have a very specific, heroic faction.  And that faction could best be described as the Lightning Paladin Dragon faction.  And the funny thing is that that, minus the Lightning part, is actually kind of what Tyrion was with the high elves in the old world.  He was the Knightly Heroic character of the setting, outside of the not-King Arthur Brettonian character.  So ultimately I think this one shift in the setting has been a big reason why they seem to be cloaking Tyrion in so much mystery.  Because they don't know what they want to do with him themselves.  They are starting to try and do the Blind Sword Sage with him, but I imagine they still aren't too sure where to go.  I suspect this is why we got Teclis instead.

Question 2:  Which of the Twins was the more popular character, especially before End Times?  And the reason I specify before End Times is because I feel Teclis' actions during that period tend to give him a bit more of a bad wrap than he deserves.  In my own experience I found that more people liked the character of Tyrion than they did of Teclis, but I believe Teclis saw more actual table top use than Tyrion did.  Does anyone else think this fact may have also influenced GW picking Teclis over Tyrion?

If you made it through my wall of text, you have my thanks.  This post is a bit of me uncorking my brain after eight straight days at work.

• Like 6

I found it very interesting that Tyrion was basically excluded from the Gods and Religon section of the Soulbound RPG book.  All the other gods (and Morathi) get a two page spread, but Tyrion is just a little black side box in the Teclis section.

As to your second question, for me, Teclis was always the more interesting of the pair. But it's a personal thing. I dislike "perfect characters" and Tyrion was just too good at everything, on top of that, he ended up cuckolding Finubar with an illegitimate child with the everqueen which always rubbed me the wrong way. 

Teclis on the other hand was supremely flawed, both physically and socially. Add to that he had a tendency to see big picture problems and try to address them, even by doing morally grey things made him interesting to follow. And best of all, he failed spectacularly on several occasions, despite his obvious power and skill. 

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 8

The operative word with Tyrion has always been 'cool'. I love him but Teclis is by far the more interesting character, and at least as far as 7th Edition and 8th Edition are concerned, was always the stronger choice on the tabletop owing to his insane magical supremacy. It's very clear to me that Tyrion is taking a backseat role with the Lumineth and is almost certainly not going to be part of the release. I can subscribe to GW not knowing exactly which direction they want to take him - especially as the blind swordsman is a trope they've already aped with classic Eltharion - but it could also be they are saving him for a significant plot development down the line, likely tied in with Slaanesh. 

@Koradrel of Chrace

I think your first question is right on spot. Not only for Tyrion but the “Light Elves” as a whole. Because the Stormcast basically have the role the Aelves often have: enigmatic, aloof, “better” humans. They also have the whole angelic vibe and dragons which many hoped the new elves would get. I think part of why we have the spirit concept and mountain spirits at the core right now is because of the Stormcast already occupying a lot of the artistic and lore space light elves otherwise would be.

We know that the authors of the Soulbound RPG Core Book read the Lumineth Battletome. Of course there doesn’t have to be 100% a link, but like Athrawes, looking at how Tyrion is covered there, it also convinced me that we likely won’t see him for a while. Malerion looks to be more developed. There isn’t even one word about Tyrion’s nations in the book, so those might also not be featured much in the Lumineth BT. 

Tyrion is part of the Lumineth though, that’s for sure. He was basically keeping them alive while Teclis went on the spiritual journey which brought him to Celennar. It’s written as if Teclis was awol for some time. There is not hint of a civil war between Teclis and Tyrion’s nations or anything like that. I also think Tyrion will feature once Slaanesh comes free or is freed. 

This might also be on purpose, but there isn’t anything about the other spirits either in the book. Celennar is the only one named (as far as I can tell, I haven’t read the whole book yet), and only the mountain spirits are given as more concrete examples. Otherwise They just repeat that wind, river and zenith (which is called sky again in the book) also exist. So if we get more units, it likely will be more genuine ones or something like a war machine (if it’s not all on purpose). 

To your second question: I doubt you’ll find a definitive answer here, I’m also much more of a Teclis fan, but I also know several people who prefer Tyrion. Tyrion being more similar to Sigmar might have had something to do with the focus on Teclis, or it was just that GW came up with some cool models and thought they’d fit better with Teclis. Or didn’t have a good idea for a Tyrion model. It seems they often start with the models, might just have been coincidence. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To me tyrion embodied all that a warrior should be, the paragon of battle and chivalry, and that's why I always liked him since he embodied the ideals that I myself aspire too. The end times gave him the fall of a paragon and broke his spirit, I feel they missed the redemption opportunity however when they brought him back to life in book 5 as they never delved into detail about tyrion after his resurrection. That was their biggest missed opportunity IMO. And I suspect you are right with your first question koradrel. By making sigmar the paragon of the setting tyrion has no place at the moment and needs re-defining to fit the new world.

Looking through all my favourite characters I seem to have a preference for the knightly paragon, from prince tyrion, to artoria pendragon and aragon, I do seem to prefer the noble paragon. I blame reading le morte de arthur so much.

Edited by Yuviel Lightbringer
add info
  • Like 2

Back when I started playing Warhammer Fantasy I loved Tyrion (and I thought that his miniature was one of the most stunning of all of the range). However, I think that Teclis is a far more interesting character, both in the previous setting and in this one (Although it is true that Tyrion hasn't had a chance to develop). However, I don't think that GW doesn't have a plan for him, as it would be weird for one of the most well-known characters of one of their best-known factions. I think that the lack of mentions of Tyrion in this release is due to two reasons:

1) They do not want to put all eggs on the same basket. If they release both Tyrion and Teclis now, the Lumineth won't have any "big new shiny thing" to look for in the future. Similar to what happens in 40K with Primarchs. If everybody gets their Lords of War at the beginning, then it is difficult to maintain that state of constant hype.

2) As someone has mentioned before, it is very plausible that 2021 sees a campaign related to Slaanesh. AoS 2.0 is, more or less, in the state of 40k one year ago, with all codexes released, so it wouldn't surprise me if GW decides to go "Psychic Awakening" with AoS to release updates for battletomes in need of renovation (Idoneth or Stormcast, for instance) through campaign books, which would come with some miniatures. Fall of Excelsis and "Slaanesh released" come to mind. Tyrion/New units for Lumineth and Idoneth could come with this format.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

Was there a section about Kurnoth/ Kurnous in the god / deity section ?  He seems likely something AOS will see in the near future for wanderers and being the counterpart to Isha.

He got the same treatment as Tyrion. A bit information under Alarielle (like Tyrion under Teclis). 

It mentions that so far he has only influence within Ghyran and that some Humans ans Aelves worship him, albeit not exclusively.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Oh my gosh, this guys is bloody amazing. Ignores Rend, only takes half damage, hits like a truck ignoring all modifiers, two really damaging weapons with some sort of shooting attack.... 

only downside is I think we now know that this guy is not an avatar like the spirit of durthu?

Yeah his only weakness would appear to be against spells. However I’m assuming Lumineth as an army will have good anti magic and also some forms of healing. With what we’ve seen of his rules I would expect him to be pretty pricy say 250ish point range. Normal fighter wizards are 140 to 160 and he has so many advantages.