Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

47 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

@ChrisNoAnts I faced the same problem with my Sentinels and the Zaitrec Scheme. I didn't want to add any new colours. So in the end - I just added a layer of dark grey on the pants and used the same colour as for the skirt (in your case would be red). With the highlights etc. it worked out quite well for me. It looks similar, but different enough. An alternative might be a very light blue? Similar to your white on the armour, but with a slightly more bluish tint? Yellow could also fit well with the rest of your scheme. 

Btw. very nice paint job on your Warden : ). 👍

Hey, thanks for input. However, I'm not quite sure I understand your process.

I just added a layer of dark grey on the pants and used the same colour as for the skirt

Did you undercoat the area in dark grey so that the cloth color comes out darker? 

Edit: I think going yellow might be a great idea. I'm thinking Agaros Dunes or Iyanden Yellow contrast. 

Edited by ChrisNoAnts

59 minutes ago, ChrisNoAnts said:

Hey, thanks for input. However, I'm not quite sure I understand your process.

Did you undercoat the area in dark grey so that the cloth color comes out darker? 

Edit: I think going yellow might be a great idea. I'm thinking Agaros Dunes or Iyanden Yellow contrast. 

Yup, that’s what I did. : ) . But yellow might work really well with yours. 

4 hours ago, ChrisNoAnts said:

Guys, I need some help. 

After painting my first unit in the Ymetrica color almost killed me, I'm planning to paint the rest of the army in Iliatha colors. 

How would you go about painting the "extra" fabric on the archer models? 

•  I don't want it to be red. The loincloth / tabard is already going to be red.
  • I don't want it to be orange as most of the fabric of the archer model is already going to be orange. 
  • Black won't work either as gloves and boots are going to be black.
  • White could work, but the armor is already white.

I feel like I should introduce an extra color for those models or just paint the fabric white. 

Do you guys have any suggestions? 

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200924171033470_COVER.jpg

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200924171018768_COVER.jpg

Screenshot.png

Use a lighter or darker shade of an existing colour in your palette.

18 hours ago, woolf said:

quite sure only heroes get the extra spell but the zaitrec +1 cast bonus will for sure help as it's an 8 cast spell :)

Yup, that's correct! Even so, most of your battle line units are going to want to cast power of hysh anyway, but if one's not going into combat you can definitely pull off the ward save - also, you can always pop your aetherquartz to cast twice, and get both! That's going to be my plan for my big block, I suspect.

12 hours ago, ChrisNoAnts said:

Guys, I need some help. 

After painting my first unit in the Ymetrica color almost killed me, I'm planning to paint the rest of the army in Iliatha colors. 

How would you go about painting the "extra" fabric on the archer models? 

•  I don't want it to be red. The loincloth / tabard is already going to be red.
  • I don't want it to be orange as most of the fabric of the archer model is already going to be orange. 
  • Black won't work either as gloves and boots are going to be black.
  • White could work, but the armor is already white.

I feel like I should introduce an extra color for those models or just paint the fabric white. 

Do you guys have any suggestions

First, great job on the Warden!

as others have suggested... Maybe do either a light or dark base coat on the pants which will make the top color lighter/darker.  If I recall right, there is  a wash of Gryph Hound Orange over the robes?  Maybe do a gray base and then some Gryph Hound? In the pic,  it looks like the pants are a lighter shade of the tabard. So maybe a glaze of Troll Slayer or Fire Dragon if you go orange, or  Wild Rider Red if you go red. Over a base of light gray or white to make it lighter? But a yellow orange could also work. Like Iyaden Yellow? Hope this helps... 🤘🏻

@ChrisNoAnts alongside the other good suggestions already in this thread, have you considered a light tan/off white, similar to the "robes" of the Sentinel in the picture? I feel like that'd be a neutral enough tone to avoid being distracting, while also complimenting the warm color scheme you've already got going on. I'm honestly pondering the same thing as you now that I'm close to working on my own Sentinels, though I've been using a Purple/Tan/White scheme so far myself.

The past month has been a bit touch and go with hobbying for me due to family stuff - still slowly making my way through the starter box. I did manage to finish my Light of Eltharion, though, and got to experiment a bit with the airbrush in the process:

uQNf318.jpg

4x4Ue6v.jpg

I really like the look of the night sky/galaxy pattern on the cloak, so I think I might try doing it on my other character models to tie the army together (Cathallar's gown, Stonemage's cloak, Teclis's cloak if I end up painting him).

Since I'm almost done with the starter box (two Dawnriders left, which I was putting off by working on Eltharion), I figure my first 1000 points will look something like this on the table:

Allegiance: Lumineth Realm Lords
- Great Nation: Iliatha

Leaders
Scinari Cathallar (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Loremaster - Ethereal Blessing
- Artefact: Silver Wand
- Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh
The Light of Eltharion (220)

Battleline
20 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (240)
- Lore of Hysh: Protection of Hysh
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120)
- Lore of Hysh: Lambent Light
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (140)
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (130)

Total: 990 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 62

Probably not super strong on its own (and need to actually play some games to determine if Iliatha is the right choice vs. Syar), but it gets everything from the starter box on the table and feels like a solid foundation to build a 2000 point list on top of.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 5

1 hour ago, l1censetochill said:

@ChrisNoAnts alongside the other good suggestions already in this thread, have you considered a light tan/off white, similar to the "robes" of the Sentinel in the picture? I feel like that'd be a neutral enough tone to avoid being distracting, while also complimenting the warm color scheme you've already got going on. I'm honestly pondering the same thing as you now that I'm close to working on my own Sentinels, though I've been using a Purple/Tan/White scheme so far myself.

The past month has been a bit touch and go with hobbying for me due to family stuff - still slowly making my way through the starter box. I did manage to finish my Light of Eltharion, though, and got to experiment a bit with the airbrush in the process:

uQNf318.jpg

4x4Ue6v.jpg

I really like the look of the night sky/galaxy pattern on the cloak, so I think I might try doing it on my other character models to tie the army together (Cathallar's gown, Stonemage's cloak, Teclis's cloak if I end up painting him).

Since I'm almost done with the starter box (two Dawnriders left, which I was putting off by working on Eltharion), I figure my first 1000 points will look something like this on the table:

Leaders
Scinari Cathallar (140)
- General

Battleline

Probably not super strong on its own (and need to actually play some games to determine if Iliatha is the right choice vs. Syar), but it gets everything from the starter box on the table and feels like a solid foundation to build a 2000 point list on top of.

cloak is brilliant l, well done!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 12:33 PM, l1censetochill said:

uQNf318.jpg

4x4Ue6v.jpg

Leaders
Scinari Cathallar (140)
- General

Battleline

That is stunning robe work

4 hours ago, frostfire said:

Teclis rule question: can I roll for Seeing Stone ability when my own unit is affected by the endless spell cast by myself?

It is only if your units affected by a) Endless Spell or b) spells cast by enemy wizard. So yes, if you Emerald Lifeswarm to "affect" your unit, Warscroll states you *can* choose to roll, 4+ healing doesn't happen but shoot D3 MW from affected unit. 

A better application, Geminids when enemy unit close or in combat with wardens etc, if you willing risk 50% chance affect you for a D3 MW, can be done technically.

There is a crazy "Storm-effect" combo I wish not to reveal here yet. Lemme come back to you guys when I test it more irl. Playing a tourney this Sun. Wish me luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, frostfire said:

Teclis rule question: can I roll for Seeing Stone ability when my own unit is affected by the endless spell cast by myself?

Yes. Because as both side can move Endless Spells And they can often have an effect on both sides, they can’t really differentiate between ES cast by you or the opponent. As @jartem (good luck! ) mentioned, there is at least one Endless Spells effect which could lead to a hilarious outcome if used in that way.  

When I play with friends, I personally will only use Seeing Stone in case they throw an Endless Spell back at me that I had previously cast. 

@LuminethMage Thanks! 🙏

As @jartem (good luck! ) mentioned, there is at least one Endless Spells effect which could lead to a hilarious outcome if used in that way.

Glad another LRL General on same wavelength for that hilarious combo. That endless spell I think dropped it's pts Cost too. 🤭 

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1"

"I think I am B2"

😜

• Haha 2

Have any of you has any problem with the Dawnrider banner? Mine snapped when I cut it out from the sprue, I kind of fixed it with glue (it did look like a marshmallow though). 

Today when I was painting the spear/or rather part that holds the banner, it snapped.

I don't really like to be the one that complain, but was it dumb if me to ask for a replacement from the games workshop customer service? I've heard a lot of good stuff about them from around the years (after some googling), so I thought why not?

How do y'all repair broken spears/banners?

IMG_20201009_181000.jpg

• Sad 1

That sucks ...

I think asking is always ok, worst thing that can happen is that you don’t get it in the end. I managed to snap mine too (hit it with my hand when I moved a paint pot 💪), but it was still attached so I could glue it back without it looking strange).

In terms of fixing it, what you hear most is - people drilling a small hole into the hand, and putting through a thin brass rod or something similar. You can find videos about how that is done. I don’t have any experience with it myself though. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

That sucks ...

I think asking is always ok, worst thing that can happen is that you don’t get it in the end. I managed to snap mine too (hit it with my hand when I moved a paint pot 💪), but it was still attached so I could glue it back without it looking strange).

In terms of fixing it, what you hear most is - people drilling a small hole into the hand, and putting through a thin brass rod or something similar. You can find videos about how that is done. I don’t have any experience with it myself though. 

I've gotten it back with glue, but since the banner is so large makes me wonder how much it will hold in the long run... I've even started to wonder if I should just put tape to make it more "stable"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I've gotten it back with glue, but since the banner is so large makes me wonder how much it will hold in the long run... I've even started to wonder if I should just put tape to make it more "stable"

Great to hear! Yeah, I have the same feeling. For me drilling is still a bit too much, but that seems to be a good option. Otherwise trying to stabilize it with a tape or something like that might help. Maybe more people can chime in and offer solutions. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I have prepared a drinking glass of hot water and dipped my bent Warden Spears inside for about 1 and 1/2 seconds. Then I immidietly tried to bend them in the right direction. In 3 out of 4 cases it worked pretty okay but one spear is now a bit twisted in another way. So well it is a dangerous method I think 😅

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Howdyhedberg said:

Have any of you has any problem with the Dawnrider banner? Mine snapped when I cut it out from the sprue, I kind of fixed it with glue (it did look like a marshmallow though). 

Today when I was painting the spear/or rather part that holds the banner, it snapped.

I don't really like to be the one that complain, but was it dumb if me to ask for a replacement from the games workshop customer service? I've heard a lot of good stuff about them from around the years (after some googling), so I thought why not?

IMG_20201009_181000.jpg

The same thing happened to me.  I took a spare axe from an Ardboy champion and cut away the thick part of the handle, which is thicker than the banner pole.  Then drilled a hole in either end and connected the two ends of the banner to it, paring the original banner shaft to get the right length.  I see it as battle damage repaired on site.  Once painted, it isn't that noticeable.  Obviously, it helped to have Ironjawz as another army, but you may have something similar in your bits box.  Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

The same thing happened to me.  I took a spare axe from an Ardboy champion and cut away the thick part of the handle, which is thicker than the banner pole.  Then drilled a hole in either end and connected the two ends of the banner to it, paring the original banner shaft to get the right length.  I see it as battle damage repaired on site.  Once painted, it isn't that noticeable.  Obviously, it helped to have Ironjawz as another army, but you may have something similar in your bits box.  Hope that helps.

Last question. What did you fill the holes that you drilled with? Or it was the  pole/spear that went into the hole?

I think the banner part for the sentinels might have the same size as the spear, but I have to check some more.

27 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

Last question. What did you fill the holes that you drilled with? Or it was the  pole/spear that went into the hole?

I think the banner part for the sentinels might have the same size as the spear, but I have to check some more.

I pushed one end of the drilled axe haft onto the broken banner shaft and the part with the banner into the other end of the axe haft.  I did a dry fit first to end up with the right length I wanted.  I then used GW plastic glue.  I did the gluing in two stages, as you need to try and get the whole thing looking straight.  I attached the drilled part to the lower part first and let them set before gluing the banner part in the top.  I didn't get it quite right, so if I had to do it again, I would try attaching a temporary splint to the whole thing to keep it straight (and the banner in the right direction) while it sets.  You don't have to drill all the way through the connecting piece, just enough at either end to get a good fix.  Also, it's easier to drill the centre if you create a starting hole for your drill bit, by using a pointy instrument like a compass. 

Anyway, hope that helps and you find something usable in your CoS bits. If you know someone who collects Ironjawz, they should have a spare axe you could barter for.

• Thanks 1