New Years Hobby Resolution 2020

Kramer

Well the first one is finishing the other list options for my SCE army. For the first time in my life I managed to get a full 2000P. army painted (after returning to the hobby after 18 years). Now I want to be able to play different lists and therefor need to paint like 30 additional models, including 2 big center pieces (prime and dude on drake...the reptile one, you know what I mean :P). So there I would like to put all the stuff I learned in the past year and really go and try to paint the best model I possibly can.

Other than that a big resolution for me is to play more. In the past year I only managed to make a total of maybe 5-6 games, even though I live 15 minutes by foot away from the next GW and several clubs which are also less than 30 minutes away. But work and family keep a man busy and besides I didn't have a fully painted army until November, so in 2020 I would like to throw a lot more dice :)

Third one is starting a new army after my SCE are almost done. I have a custom Primaris chapter for 40k that I am working on but also would like to have a second AoS army.  First I was going for Sylvaneth, then Chaos came out and looked awesome (and as I started with Chaos as a kid I have a special connection to them) but now pointy Elves where announced and maybe I wait and have a look on them :P). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Naem said:

army. For the first time in my life I managed to get a full 2000P. army painte

Good for you! That’s always a massive achievement. 

6 hours ago, Naem said:

So there I would like to put all the stuff I learned in the past year and really go and try to paint the best model I possibly can

Any model in mind? 

I failed my 2019 resolution somewhat

Though overall I did improve my situation a lot, but I can improve it further! More models need to be built and slightly less bought and I've still some stuff to sell. So my 2020 is in one part to continue to rid myself of unbuilt boxes of models and reduce my unbuilt pile relative to my built even more this year. I'd really love to end 2020 with only newly bought models from 2020 left unbuilt and not have too many of them either.

At the same time I'm also keen to PAINT stuff and actually get over that painting phobia/fear/whatever and actually get an army painted up. Which is my new fresh focus this year.

GW isn't helping of course by releasing awesome looking Sisters of Battle; slowly updating Eldar; teasing new aelves and also hypnocats. 

• Like 1

For me i'm not sure yet. I also don't like to set too much in stone as I enjoy the hobby the most if I keep following whatever catches my interest at that time. 

But things i'm working on and want to finish before starting bigger new projects (such as updated KO, Mortal Slaanesh and matching terrain). 
- A friend wants to try the game and she set her eyes on my stormcast. So if finishing my stormcast helps getting her into the hobby. That's gotta be priority #1. Goal 1,5K painted and based
                    - I'm currently finishing my colour scheme but what works on the Vanguard half, needs work on the Sacrosanct half as its slightly off. 
- I bought two Feast of Bones Ogor halves and got the Start Collecting. Together with my 2,5K collection I want to paint & (re)base that into a 2K tournament list. 
                    - So far i'm looking for a fun tournament to partake in with them, but so far nothing on a date I can actually join.
- Both will feature Jungle bases as I've always wanted to build a jungle table... so that needs to happen as well. 4 big pieces 6 small. 

I do have clear Hobby goals though. 
- Learn to do the 'power sword' NMM style blades and apply them to the stormcast
- Learn to use my new wet Palette to build up layers more subtly. Using the Ogor skins for that.
- With the new brushes there is no excuse not to be more exact. So doing tattooos on my ogors to practice that.
                     - All following Oscar Lars tutorials on YouTube. As I help him with the video edit I'm in the perfect position to check the full length files                            for details 😂https://www.youtube.com/user/lysandestolpe )

edit: I’ll add one more. Post more often to the painting thread. That place is becoming less crowded by the month. Need to do my part to keep things alive even if I don’t meet the standard. 

Edited by Kramer

1 minute ago, Overread said:

At the same time I'm also keen to PAINT stuff and actually get over that painting phobia/fear/whatever and actually get an army painted up. Which is my new fresh focus this year

GW isn't helping of course by releasing awesome looking Sisters of Battle; slowly updating Eldar; teasing new aelves and also hypnocats. 

For me these two things can help each other :) 
If you can manage to get into the mindset of painting a unit so you can get the hypnocat.. you're already 9 or more models up! (regarding painted vs. unpainted). 

What's holding you back on the painting? For me for the longest time it was setting my expectations to high. For me it really helped (and contrast makes it easier) to just say: okay this unit/army this little thing is the important part. The rest just get it done decently. So for example my Ogors it's building layers into the skin. Everything else is contrast or less layers. I bought a unit of Khinerai just to practice wet blending the colours from tip of the tail to the base of the tail. 

But in general You Can Do It! 

7 minutes ago, Kramer said:

For me these two things can help each other :) 
If you can manage to get into the mindset of painting a unit so you can get the hypnocat.. you're already 9 or more models up! (regarding painted vs. unpainted). 

What's holding you back on the painting? For me for the longest time it was setting my expectations to high. For me it really helped (and contrast makes it easier) to just say: okay this unit/army this little thing is the important part. The rest just get it done decently. So for example my Ogors it's building layers into the skin. Everything else is contrast or less layers. I bought a unit of Khinerai just to practice wet blending the colours from tip of the tail to the base of the tail. 

But in general You Can Do It! 

For me with painting its many things. Being a perfectionist without painting skill does NOT help matters in the least. However there's also teh fact that painting isn't a singular method. There are dozens of different theories and methods and approaches. Even just painting a single colour can be a minefield of various choices of blending and layering and such. So part of it is me mentally making choices on what methods to follow and guides to listen too - whilst at the same time realising that because I am inexperienced I "don't know what I don't know" which makes following different sources and pooling them together and making those final choices that much harder. 

It actually has me half wanting to collect the Mortal Realms magazine just to provide me a source of models I don't actually "WANT" as such to practice paitning on without having to worry about paint stripping them off later. Of course the logical half of me knows that is NOT a sane approach to things. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Of course the logical half of me knows that is NOT a sane approach to things. 

Seems like a very sensible approach. You need to try things out. You need some models to practice on. I personally would find the cheapest ebay lot because the model doesn't matter.

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

So part of it is me mentally making choices on what methods to follow and guides to listen too - whilst at the same time realising that because I am inexperienced I "don't know what I don't know" which makes following different sources and pooling them together and making those final choices that much harder. 

That's a catch 22. Because what you're doing is proving to yourself you don't know enough to start doing. And it's knowledge you can only gain by experience/doing. So I can't do much more than to repeat the wise words of Shia LeBeouff: JUST DO IT ;) 

• Like 1

I completely failed my 2019 Resolution to get all of my stuff painted. But between having my car totalled and moving in with my significant other, I'm not too terribly pressed about it. 

My goal this year is to finish 1k points of models for my Tzeentch and Sylvaneth army by May.  My ventilation hood should be here in Febuary, and i've been working on my disks and Tzaangor since the new year rolled over. I'm fairly confident I can get it done in that time. 

• Like 1

Well, apparently repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is a sign of insanity, but I'm going to go out on a limb and try the same resolution again; to paint more than I buy. I managed to paint 51 models (3180 points of Stormcast) in 2019 but I bought quite a bit more. So in 2019 that was a complete failure, but let's try how it goes this time around.

I would also like to be able to paint more in general so I'm aiming to surpass those 2019 numbers. I did manage last year to paint a couple of models I had found very intimidating (Stardrake and Celestant Prime) and I think I even got them to a decent tabletop standard. So at least that's a painting hurdle that's been overcome. I didn't expect to feel as pleased with the fact that I got those models painted as I was, but there you go.

Another resolution is to play more. Or just play at all. I don't think I've gotten a single game in since 2nd edition and now it's time to tackle and eliminate the excuses as much as possible.

Last one is to attend my first tournament. No idea where or when, just know it's time to make the jump.

So, TL:DR
1. Paint more than I buy.
2. Paint more than in 2019.
3. Go out and play.
4. Attend a tournament.

Let's see how it goes :)

3 minutes ago, Murder Pancake said:

I completely failed my 2019 Resolution to get all of my stuff painted. But between having my car totalled and moving in with my significant other, I'm not too terribly pressed about it. 

My goal this year is to finish 1k points of models for my Tzeentch and Sylvaneth army by May.  My ventilation hood should be here in Febuary, and i've been working on my disks and Tzaangor since the new year rolled over. I'm fairly confident I can get it done in that time. 

Congratulations on the move!

Best wishes from Brazil!

1 hour ago, Overread said:

For me with painting its many things. Being a perfectionist without painting skill does NOT help matters in the least. However there's also teh fact that painting isn't a singular method. There are dozens of different theories and methods and approaches. Even just painting a single colour can be a minefield of various choices of blending and layering and such. So part of it is me mentally making choices on what methods to follow and guides to listen too - whilst at the same time realising that because I am inexperienced I "don't know what I don't know" which makes following different sources and pooling them together and making those final choices that much harder. 

I used to be like you. Several units with a single model painted to the best of my ability taking a week to paint. Yaaay now 19 more!

Needless to say it made me unhappy.

I  found a good middle ground by painting the common folks in a lesser quality and simple colors and gave attention to the leader or standart bearer.  I took my time on the heroes and gave then my best.

Was pleased with the results! Became happy about getting stuff done and everyones eyes are pulled toward the "cool" stuff.

I'm in a very different life situation than in past years, with a lot less free time than I'm accustomed to.  But I think for 2020 I'd like to spend less of my free time farting around on my phone and more time at my hobby desk.  A vague goal, but a real goal.

Edited by amysrevenge
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm in a very different life situation than in past years, with a lot less free time than I'm accustomed to.  But I think for 2020 I'd like to spend less of my free time farting around on my phone and more time at my hobby desk.  A vague goal, but a real goal.

And a good goal 

Haven't had a fully painted army since the early 2000s when I quit 40k for the first time. Now I'm building two Sigmar armies in parallel and it would be nice to get at least one of them painted to a tabletop standard up to at least 2,000 points - both would be gravy!

Probably not realistic though with work, and if I end up following through on starting a new degree in September that'll probably can all my hobby ambitions for a while.

20 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Haven't had a fully painted army since the early 2000s when I quit 40k for the first time. Now I'm building two Sigmar armies in parallel and it would be nice to get at least one of them painted to a tabletop standard up to at least 2,000 points - both would be gravy!

Probably not realistic though with work, and if I end up following through on starting a new degree in September that'll probably can all my hobby ambitions for a while.

I can tell you from experience (getting a Master's degree, working full time, and a brand new baby all at the same time), one thing that helps across the board is to make a detailed schedule, and include some downtime/hobby time in that schedule.  It actually made me more productive if I forced myself some downtime to recover now and then (about weekly).

My hobby resolution last year was to paint up my necrons, and not get any more elves, or start a new AoS army. 

My new years hobby resolution this year will be to finish painting my necrons, definitely not get any more elves this time, honest... And not start a new AoS army, instead focusing on those goblins I started last year.

Even if I manage to not start anything new, i want to focus on collecting the remaining resin and metal models which I want for AoS and LotR. I don't trust Gw to keep selling them indefinitely at this point.

I'd also like to finally do a painting and narrative  blog. For ages I've had the idea of doing a "mages through the ages" project, and now have a nice selection of old wizards to paint up, so that could be a cool theme.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

ven if I manage to not start anything new, i want to focus on collecting the remaining resin and metal models which I want for AoS and LotR. I don't trust Gw to keep selling them indefinitely at this point.

I'd also like to finally do a painting and narrative  blog. For ages I've had the idea of doing a "mages through the ages" project, and now have a nice selection of old wizards to paint up, so that could be a cool theme.

Good call in the old models. Especially now GW has almost updated all tomes. It would be easy for them to drip feed replacement models. I was scared for the Maneaters when feast of bones dropped for that very reason. 

and go for the mages for the ages. Especially if it’s a thread... always forget to check the blogs 😅

• LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Good call in the old models. Especially now GW has almost updated all tomes. It would be easy for them to drip feed replacement models. I was scared for the Maneaters when feast of bones dropped for that very reason. 

and go for the mages for the ages. Especially if it’s a thread... always forget to check the blogs 😅

Yeah, there's not a vast number of old models which I still need for my AoS armies at least. A few vampires, maybe some beastmen. Lord of the Rings has a lot more, but I've been collecting it for quite some time too... So it's not impossible.

14 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Yeah, there's not a vast number of old models which I still need for my AoS armies at least. A few vampires, maybe some beastmen. Lord of the Rings has a lot more, but I've been collecting it for quite some time too... So it's not impossible.

For me I got to the point I don’t need them. But it’s just I want to paint them. Super happy I snagged up That wood elf Lord with great the day after the final sale sold out second hand. Just one of those nostalgia models for an army I never played. 

• Like 1

Since our first child arrived six months ago and my job became much more demanding, I will have a lot less hobby time this year. Because of that, I decided to have a very focused list of resolutions for this year:

• play more; I would like to use most of the available hobby time to play more games with my friends
  • finish painting my small Everchosen army (basically, Archaon, two units of Varanguard and some Marauder Horsemen). I am already halfway done painting Archaon, so I'm off to a good start :D

My Beasts of Chaos army will be painted by a friend of mine, who is great painter and does miniature painting commisions. My Sylvaneth are already completely painted, so if everything goes as planned, once the Everchosen are finished I can start working on the unpainted half of my Blades of Khorne army. Each Khorne mini I paint this year will be a nice bonus :)

• Like 2

Checked my last year's resolutions and....

Things I did:

- Played much more games (at least one game of AoS or 40k every other week, and smaller tabletop games in between). 

- Have two armies at 2000 points tabletop quality.

Things I didn't do:

- Paint at least once a week (after batch painting my IDK army for a tourney in June, I think I got burnt out for painting and have mostly only painted non-AoS smaller projects once a month or so).

-Decrease backlog (it increased by 1.5x from the previous year, though a large part of this is me finding really good deals on older armies which I liked the aesthetics of)

Things that happened last year:

- Since I'm relatively new to the whole tabletop scene, I started exploring different game systems (Malifaux, Infinity, Guild Ball, Bushido, Monsterpocalypse, Warmahorde, etc.). I've been rotating between working on AoS and other systems, so AoS progress has been slow. Last year I assembled approximately 15,000 points of models for GW stuff (including 40k), and painted around 5000 points to tabletop quality (idoneth and CSM armies) , which I think is not bad all things considered.

- Campaign! I'm a semi-competitive player by nature, but love RPG's, so finally got a couple of friends to start a Warcry campaign. It's been a blast and I think its a great way to spend a weeknight (I've tried arranging smaller AoS or 40k games on weeknights, but usually it takes too long.)

This Year's Resolutions:

- Paint more often! (Now that I have a hood, its much easier for me to prime/base, so I've been doing so every other weekend) 

- Fill out current armies to 2000 points (Currently have 4 factions at 2k+, 6 at 1k or so), before jumping into new factions.

- Try to get more AoS-related campaigns going. Hopefully I can get more people here to try and start a PtG or similar system going, since I find these smaller campaign styled games with narratives to be good for weeknights.