AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

On 1/26/2021 at 5:43 PM, Ganigumo said:

Agreed. Nurgle Iron golems are insane. Warshrine for +1 to save, base rerolls (or a nearby chaos sorcerer if you want to move them). These guys get to a 3+ rerollable/6++ (or 5++ if you bring a harbinger of decay...) Thats as tough as  petrifex was and they're dirt cheap at 7 points a wound. If you wanted to get really spicy you could bring in Glottkin for his +1 wound spell, and +1 attack CA...

Are they really that much different from Chaos Warriors though? For 20 points cheaper you get half the attacks at -1 to hit and no innate save vs MW. Sure they get the great Marauders charge rule, but then they're losing their armour save re-rolls. 

Edited by SpiritofHokuto

49 minutes ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

Are they really that much different from Chaos Warriors though? For 20 points cheaper you get half the attacks at -1 to hit and no innate save vs MW. Sure they get the great Marauders charge rule, but then they're losing their armour save re-rolls. 

20 points cheaper, but they have more bodies, 8 iron golems per 5 chaos warriors. Its a big deal for controlling objectives and space, and 20 points is a lot when you're running bigger units. 24 iron golems is 30 wounds for 210 points, 15 chaos warriors are 270 points for 30 wounds. The price difference is significant when you're running a lot of them, and chaos warriors don't exactly have high damage anyways. Plus it's much more difficult to maintain the rerolls on chaos warriors who need 10+ models, where iron golems keep it to the last model. 

also as @Sinfullyvannila said they only lose rerolls if they made a normal move. which means charges and pile-ins don't break it, you also have it if you just moved up/ran and didn't charge, since it will be active again when your opponent gets to charge. 

The point of these guys is durability, and they do it better than chaos warriors for cheaper, leaving points leftover to fill in the loss in offense.

• Like 1

Im about to play in another 6 game campaign at 1250 points. Everyone is running fluffy or at least reasonable lists so thought I would give Idolators a go. Lots of great ways to use cultists noted by people above but I dont own any and probably dont want to run a battalion at 1250 anyway. This is what I came up with:

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Idolators
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders

Idolator Lord on Chaos Chariot (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Smite the Unbeliever
- Artefact: Trickster's Foil
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
- Prayer: Blessings of Khorne
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Spell: Spite-tongue Curse

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
20 x Chaos Marauders (160)
- Axes & Shields
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Cursed Lance
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)
-
 Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 1

Between Daemonic Power and the Warshrine I have 2 reliable ways to get reroll hit and wounds. Chariot Lord's prayer for another way to reroll hits. 2 ways to get guaranteed reroll saves and a possible teleport.

Chariot Lord has 4 attacks with the great blade, hitting and wounding on 2+ , rerolling 1's for both thanks to mark of khorne and Ulgu artefact, -1 rend, 2dmg for 8 dmg potential... not bad. The list has 96 wounds which feels like a lot for 1250 points.  Fingers crossed!

Any thoughts or opinions on this list?

- Damned Legion: Ravagers

Leaders
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
- Ravagers Command Trait: Flames of Spite
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Deception
- Artefact: Cloak of the Relentless Conqueror
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Undivided
- Spell: Call to Glory
- Ravagers Command Trait: Bolstered by Hate
Aspiring Deathbringer (80)
- Bloodaxe and Wrath Hammer
- Allies

Battleline
15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons

Units
5 x Chaos Chosen (140)
5 x Chaos Chosen (140)

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 163

The Aura of Khorne allows re-roll hit rolls of 1 and since it's also on my general all Mortal units with the Mark of Khorne also gain +1 to wound rolls. With the Warshrine prayer I can re-roll to hit rolls and re-roll to charge rolls.

The Cloak gives my Warlord re-roll charge rolls.

The Undivided Prayer can give re-roll to hit and to wound rolls. The spell Call to Glory can give re-roll to hit and to wound rolls.

So lots of attack, lots of re-rolls, +1 to hit and +1 to wound sources on various units/different units, plenty of re-roll charge rolls, a way to generate attacking twice or extra attacks...
  • Like 1

@Ravinsild cool list, I like it! I usually give Eternal Vendetta command trait to lord on karkadrak and mark of the high favoured as the go to artifact (You've only got 3 heros who can be the general so you should get good mileage out of it). I would definitely be giving at least one unit of knights glaives as between rerolls and the lords command ability/aura they can be pretty reliable to hit and wound. Would also consider giving at least one unit of warriors great weapons for some rend. They will lost the 5+ mortal wound save but the warshrine can make up for some of that and it makes a big difference to their offensive output.

@Perturbato The whole thing is lame. Gorebeast chariots are overpriced for what they do and you cant take a 2nd artifact in Idolators...  basically the battalion is trash.

Edited by Agent of Chaos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Ravinsild cool list, I like it! I usually give Eternal Vendetta command trait to lord on karkadrak and mark of the high favoured as the go to artifact (You've only got 3 heros who can be the general so you should get good mileage out of it). I would definitely be giving at least one unit of knights glaives as between rerolls and the lords command ability/aura they can be pretty reliable to hit and wound. Would also consider giving at least one unit of warriors great weapons for some rend. They will lost the 5+ mortal wound save but the warshrine can make up for some of that and it makes a big difference to their offensive output.

@Perturbato The whole thing is lame. Gorebeast chariots are overpriced for what they do and you cant take a 2nd artifact in Idolators...  basically the battalion is trash.

I made all of these changes although the math does not check out on Greatblade Warriors (and isn't that what chosen are for?)

This is the list I've come up with after some thought and accommodating almost all of your advice.

- Damned Legion: Ravagers

Leaders
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- Artefact: Blasphemous Cuirass
- Ravagers Command Trait: Master of Deception
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230)
- General
- Command Trait: Eternal Vendetta
- Artefact: Mark of the High-favoured
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Mark of Chaos: Undivided
- Spell: Mask of Darkness
- Ravagers Command Trait: Bolstered by Hate

Battleline
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Cursed Lance

Units
5 x Chaos Chosen (140)
5 x Chaos Chosen (140)

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Bloodmarked Warband (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143

It occurred to me I was very light on CP and had several competitive and wanted Command Abilities, so I decided "why run a CP hungry Aspiring Deathbringer, when I can do the same thing with a battalion, gain an extra CP, an extra artifact and get the effort for free doing what my army would naturally be doing?"

So I dropped the Aspiring Deathbringer and 1 unit of Knights to bring along the battalion. So now I begin with 3 CP which can be used on Knights from the Karkadrak and I could even potentially make the lance knights fight twice after charging. That's insane damage.

The Warshrine Prayer could go on the Lord to give him re-roll to hit and to charge (Khorne Prayer), and the command ability gives re-roll to charge and +1 to hit, while the Sorcerer spell given on knight would give them Re-Roll to hit, re-roll to wound, +1 to hit and re-roll charge.

Chaos Chosen can give everyone else re-roll to wound rolls at the very least and at worse everyone within an aura has +1 to wound and re-roll hit rolls of 1.

Edited by Ravinsild
  • Like 2

So the warscroll for the new warcry warband Khagras ravagers is up.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/Khagras_Ravagers_en.pdf

Unlike some of the others its one unit with a wizard in it. What are peoples thoughts?  Essentially its a degrading wizard with 8 wounds behind a 4+ and 10 attacks. Losing oracular visions probably still rules them out which is a shame.

On paper it looks really bad but I think it may actually be secretly good. As said before if you think of it as 125 points for an 8 wound wizard with a monster profile (no spell on warscroll but the book ones are good), who has a handful of attacks that are good collectively. Degrades as it takes wounds but you chose what you lose.

It's not anything you build around, but if you already have ravagers and some spare points, it's a stronger than most things you could fit in the 125 mark. With the flexibility of choosing a spell from the book, it's basically a very cost effective little monster and you get to choose from a list 'abilities' (spells) that go with it.

9 minutes ago, Boar said:

In Ravagers you could take fully functioning Sorcerer for 110, and give him 7 Wound profile with Trait tough.

Yes but then you give up a trait and that's not worth it on the sorcerer (better on a front line hero), he also doesn't have mortal wound protection either, and obviously has a far less desirable attack profile. The two don't really bare comparison because they serve different roles though. I'd say a comparison with a monster is more accurate. You certainly wouldn't take khagras instead of a sorcerer as they don't replace what the sorcerer does. In ravagers you still want heros, including sorcerers so I don't think this is competition with that spot. Sorcerers are force multiplication tools where this is more cost effective chaff /distraction not a hero.

Edited by Rors
clarification

1 minute ago, Rors said:

Yes but then you give up a trait and that's not worth it on the sorcerer

Depends, I actually would as random D6 dmg/MW attack wont be able to kill him outright and for other heroes I prefer more offensive traits - Flames of Spite and Eternal Vendetta.

• Like 1

If he getting hit with d6 dmg he's dead anyway, the extra wounds might get you one extra turn but more likely just spares something else from a couple of attacks/shots in my opinion. Anyway, if you like that you can still take a 7 wound sorcerer as the two units don't compete for the same places in a list. Hard to imagine a raveger list without a sorcerer in most cases.

29 minutes ago, Rors said:

the extra wounds might get you one extra turn but more likely just spares something else from a couple of attacks/shots in my opinion

That's kinda the point tough, and it goes for whoever you equip with such trait.

30 minutes ago, Rors said:

two units don't compete for the same places in a list

I can see that, Khagra team is something you would add at the end of making list I suppose, when you would have your standard Sorcerers already. Or alternatively just after filling your list with Sorcerers in Cabalists. It can be more fuel for Darkfire Demonrift too.

Hey ! I recently bought some nively painted STD  models, do you think if it is possible to build a decent list with them ?

- Chaos sorcerer on Manticore

- Chaos lord on Karkadrak

- Chaos chariot

- 10 chaos warriors

- 5 chaos knights

- 6 Raptoryx

Thanks !

Edited by Heaven_lord

18 hours ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hey ! I recently bought some nively painted STD  models, do you think if it is possible to build a decent list with them ?

- Chaos sorcerer on Manticore

- Chaos lord on Karkadrak

- Chaos chariot

- 10 chaos warriors

- 5 chaos knights

- 6 Raptoryx

Thanks !

While those are expensive heroes to have together (490 points total), they are quite strong.  Using all those units, minus the raptoryx, will net you 950 points to start with.  You can purchase a command point for 50 points to come to an even 1,000 pts which is a good starting point!   The standard Ravagers allegiance may be good to summon some more bodies during the game; however, if you don't want to buy anything else right now, you can try out the new Idolators allegiance and turn the chariot into a chaos lord/priest hero for some additional buffs without any point cost difference and still meeting battleline/leader requirements.  

For example, this is an idolators list. They don't come with any artefacts so you'll need to pick a realm to get one.  Ulgu lets them re-roll 1s to wound.  I just picked Khorne as I like it most; however, you can change marks as you see fit  (being a more mobile army, Slaanesh all around may be better.)

Allegiance: Idolators
Faction: StD
Realm: Ulgu (Shadow)

Idolator Lord on Chaos Chariot
Command trait: Smite the Unbeliever
Artefact: Trickster’s Foil
Mark: Khorne
Prayer: Blessing of Khorne

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore
Mark: Tzeentch

Battleline:
5 Chaos Knights
10 Chaos Warriors:

Extra:
Command Point

Edited by Archion89

Hi guys,

I've just started working on a Nurgle-themed STD army - it's mainly for the hobbying side rather than the competitive scene, so lots of conversion and kit-bashing in the pipeline. I'm aiming for the Bioshock vibe... 

I want to include a Mammoth as the centrepiece, but I noticed it has the Mortal keyword - does this mean it can be buffed by auras, warshrine, harbinger CA, Demonic power etc? Also, can it be included as part of the Plaguetouched Warband? 

I know I just said I'm not too bothered about being competitive, but if that all works then the mammoth would be absolutely insane! 

Will post pictures if anyone is interested, I'm building a test model now, either a lord or a varanguard. 

@Andrethegreat Slaves are not in a bad place but they are by no means top tier. The army is capable of playing above average in all phases (aside from shooting) but its difficult to fit it all in one list. In my experience, even games where you are rock to their scissors, you still need to play well to secure a win. Whereas if you are paper to their scissors it can be pretty tough. Its not an army that just pushes forward and wrecks face so its about finding what you like and working out how to get the most out of it.  

We have some of the best spells in the game but most are 12" range. You can load up on wizards and build a list that buffs casting but it will be weak in combat.

If shooting is your issue its possible to build a strong anti-shooting list with negs to hit and sight blocking terrain that will drive your opponent nuts, but that same list will be vulnerable to magic and only mid-tier in combat.

You can build a list with nothing but Archaon and Varanguard that hits like a mack-truck but you will struggle to hold objectives with so few bodies.

You can play an army that summons a new unit each turn but its command point heavy without any way of generating extra CP and there are a lot of moving parts to get the best out of that list. 

The most cost effective unit we have is marauders but the current models are pretty average looking and painting 80+ of them would be a nightmare for most people. 

Above are just some of the many list building options at our disposal. If you're into it I would suggest checking out slaves battle reports on youtube as you will get an idea of the different lists available and how they perform. 

• Like 1