AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

No unfortunately you cant include an Idolator Lord in another legion as the creation of him is a special rule exclusive to Idolators.  Seems warscroll builder (while generally being pretty brilliant) isnt quite sophisticated enough to only turn on the option when you select Idolators as your legion. 

Trust me; we all want a hero on chariot option for our slaves armies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you could take a regular chaos Lord on either chariot it would be amazing.

I'm building 3 gorebeast chariots since they look cool and it's so cheap with the new box.

I know there's no way they'll be properly competitive but what's people advice to get the most out of them? Ruinbringers seems the no breainer, but the khorne betallion  with multiple demon princes is tempting. Princess strike first and prok the +1 attack which is actually +3 on chariots with multiple weapon profiles, 2 of which are good. It might actually make more sense to run in groups of 2 at that point. Seems like a stretch though, any way I look at it, it's a lot of points for not much output.

2 minutes ago, Rors said:

Huh, for some reason I had always assumed STD princes had both mortal and demon keywords. Well that's a shame.

It’s still fine, use a vicious karkarak with helm of many eyes. He hits stronger than daemon princes, so your tactic is more viable.

5 hours ago, Rors said:

If you could take a regular chaos Lord on either chariot it would be amazing.

I'm building 3 gorebeast chariots since they look cool and it's so cheap with the new box.

I know there's no way they'll be properly competitive but what's people advice to get the most out of them? Ruinbringers seems the no breainer, but the khorne betallion  with multiple demon princes is tempting. Princess strike first and prok the +1 attack which is actually +3 on chariots with multiple weapon profiles, 2 of which are good. It might actually make more sense to run in groups of 2 at that point. Seems like a stretch though, any way I look at it, it's a lot of points for not much output.

Hahaha, I am thinking of picking it up but I will go with regular chariots and build the Gorebeasts into Chaos Spawn. Of course I am considering the cost of Battleforces first as the Tzeentch one is a nice expansion to my Slaves to Darkness and I just started playing Ogors with a Beast Claw army. Another friend wants to split the Shadow and Pain box with me. I am spoiled for choice and surprisingly hate it. 

Edited by Neverchosen

Seems regular chariots are the overall/general/cost effective best pick?  I see they have 3" higher movement, along with their ability to run and charge in the same turn once per battle, which would seem they have a better chance of getting charges off over the Gorebeasts.  I'm not sure the Gorebeast pros are worth the extra 30 points? 

Edited by Archion89
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Archion89 said:

Seems regular chariots are the overall/general/cost effective best pick?  I see they have 3" higher movement, along with their ability to run and charge in the same turn once per battle, which would seem they have a better chance of getting charges off over the Gorebeasts.  I'm not sure the Gorebeast pros are worth the extra 30 points? 

I've played against a Ruinbringer list with 3 horse chariots numerous times and honestly they're pretty good if your positioning game is on point. Particularly good against elite armies, where their MW output (often 4+ per chariot) can take out whole models on the charge and badly wound monsters. I felt it when I was losing demigryphs on the charge against them, and they tie units up by tagging them on corners for chaos knights to then move in. While I was often playing similar cavalry builds myself, it was often a deciding factor when a chariot started tagging key units early and throwing a spanner in the works.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:22 PM, kozokus said:

Hello,

Just made a 5 round tournament with the following list and made 4-1.

Was a blast to play. There is no real subtility in this list. Stack buff on a unit and throw it at your opponent. Here is quickly how it went.

1)Changehost conflagration on Blade edge.

Took the first turn, took all 6 objectives. Began to chew through pinks and blues for an eternity. At one time i manage to cut a hole in the wall of pinks to make a second 6" pile in into the flamers, which closed the game. WIN

2)Lumineth Teclis on forcing the hand.

Hard to face but there is an enormous gap between our armies. I let him go first, archers took a few knights away. On my turn i casted teleportation on a fully buffed Varanguard unit and throwed it away in the back of Teclis (ooops moment on his side) then failed the rerolled charge (oops moment on my side) But took the double turn (ooof), made a normal move on the T-pose guy and OBLITERATED him and the cathalar and a dozen of archers while the rest of the army made some long charges on spearmens or just get closer. He ended killing far more guys than i expected but he fought too much time on his side and never took a single of my objectives. WIN

3)Seraphon Dracothion on battle for the ass.

Unsual list. I knew that there was going to be 40 saurus in the sky and a salamander. I let him go first, he tried to cast balewind but i auto-dispelled it. On my turn i tried to cast teleportation but he unexpectedly failed to dispell it so the Varanguard made a 9 charge on the first row of 20 skinks and killed them all while the rest of the knights/varanguards was running forward, hoping for the double. Didn't get it. On his hero phase, Kroak was unable to pierce reliably the 4+ warpsteel (frown) and he teleported his 40 saurus and 20 guards in front of my nose and made the 9" charge. The i began to cut througn the scales while he couldn't pierce the 2+ reroll save. My turn + my double turn i overcharged the 3-man varanguard unit and obliterate all saurus things. unfortunately leaving Kroak to 1 wound, which allowed him to stay in the game but the sorcerer got a lucky arcane bolt that ended his journey. 32-21 WIN

4)Tempest eye on Total conquest.

The plan was to invade his space and make him loose time in his deployment zone while i score. Unfortunately i missed all my spells and prayers. He had a couple of very mobile units and an annoying aziros that lived far too long and gave him too much points. To his surprise, the irondrakes where unable to destroy the varanguard in one go, which i suspected. But this, coupled with two hard missplay and bad luck was too much. Sometimes you need more than a good plan to win a game. Loss.

5)Changehost duplicitous on Escalation.

I played his list a couple of time so i know what it is all about. The deployment meant that the LOC and the altar where out of the show for one turn. Pinks are annoying but if you punch them enough they disapears. I gave him the turn one and he took the whole tablewhile making corner charges to immobilize warriors and knights, which was expected but not that soon. He admit he missplayed here as he believed he could score points on turn one which he don't. On my turn i overcharged the Varanguard General and threw EVERYTHING in the 20 pink pack. He lost his big pack too quickly and failed to re-summon it (pfeeew) Then i began my turn 2 which was a quick walk through the rest of the army but he had no teeth capable of realiably kill my threats. WIN.

Curiously a lot of people when complimenting me for my list beeing so cool/badass to watch.

I like the list but there is no real trick. Your things are incredibly tanky. Sure varanguards are overpriced but once you stacks buffs on them you see the return quickly. The artefacts are amazings.

I haven't made a single 5+ comeback out of 6 tries.

How do you do plaguetouched warband in this list if it requires 7 units and 1 hero?

On 10/25/2020 at 5:22 PM, kozokus said:

Hello,

Just made a 5 round tournament with the following list and made 4-1.

Was a blast to play. There is no real subtility in this list. Stack buff on a unit and throw it at your opponent. Here is quickly how it went.

1)Changehost conflagration on Blade edge.

Took the first turn, took all 6 objectives. Began to chew through pinks and blues for an eternity. At one time i manage to cut a hole in the wall of pinks to make a second 6" pile in into the flamers, which closed the game. WIN

2)Lumineth Teclis on forcing the hand.

Hard to face but there is an enormous gap between our armies. I let him go first, archers took a few knights away. On my turn i casted teleportation on a fully buffed Varanguard unit and throwed it away in the back of Teclis (ooops moment on his side) then failed the rerolled charge (oops moment on my side) But took the double turn (ooof), made a normal move on the T-pose guy and OBLITERATED him and the cathalar and a dozen of archers while the rest of the army made some long charges on spearmens or just get closer. He ended killing far more guys than i expected but he fought too much time on his side and never took a single of my objectives. WIN

3)Seraphon Dracothion on battle for the ass.

Unsual list. I knew that there was going to be 40 saurus in the sky and a salamander. I let him go first, he tried to cast balewind but i auto-dispelled it. On my turn i tried to cast teleportation but he unexpectedly failed to dispell it so the Varanguard made a 9 charge on the first row of 20 skinks and killed them all while the rest of the knights/varanguards was running forward, hoping for the double. Didn't get it. On his hero phase, Kroak was unable to pierce reliably the 4+ warpsteel (frown) and he teleported his 40 saurus and 20 guards in front of my nose and made the 9" charge. The i began to cut througn the scales while he couldn't pierce the 2+ reroll save. My turn + my double turn i overcharged the 3-man varanguard unit and obliterate all saurus things. unfortunately leaving Kroak to 1 wound, which allowed him to stay in the game but the sorcerer got a lucky arcane bolt that ended his journey. 32-21 WIN

4)Tempest eye on Total conquest.

The plan was to invade his space and make him loose time in his deployment zone while i score. Unfortunately i missed all my spells and prayers. He had a couple of very mobile units and an annoying aziros that lived far too long and gave him too much points. To his surprise, the irondrakes where unable to destroy the varanguard in one go, which i suspected. But this, coupled with two hard missplay and bad luck was too much. Sometimes you need more than a good plan to win a game. Loss.

5)Changehost duplicitous on Escalation.

I played his list a couple of time so i know what it is all about. The deployment meant that the LOC and the altar where out of the show for one turn. Pinks are annoying but if you punch them enough they disapears. I gave him the turn one and he took the whole tablewhile making corner charges to immobilize warriors and knights, which was expected but not that soon. He admit he missplayed here as he believed he could score points on turn one which he don't. On my turn i overcharged the Varanguard General and threw EVERYTHING in the 20 pink pack. He lost his big pack too quickly and failed to re-summon it (pfeeew) Then i began my turn 2 which was a quick walk through the rest of the army but he had no teeth capable of realiably kill my threats. WIN.

Curiously a lot of people when complimenting me for my list beeing so cool/badass to watch.

I like the list but there is no real trick. Your things are incredibly tanky. Sure varanguards are overpriced but once you stacks buffs on them you see the return quickly. The artefacts are amazings.

I haven't made a single 5+ comeback out of 6 tries.

How do you do plaguetouched warband in this list if it requires 7 units and 1 hero?

List is on page 96.

2 hours ago, Dankboss said:

I've played against a Ruinbringer list with 3 horse chariots numerous times and honestly they're pretty good if your positioning game is on point. Particularly good against elite armies, where their MW output (often 4+ per chariot) can take out whole models on the charge and badly wound monsters. I felt it when I was losing demigryphs on the charge against them, and they tie units up by tagging them on corners for chaos knights to then move in. While I was often playing similar cavalry builds myself, it was often a deciding factor when a chariot started tagging key units early and throwing a spanner in the works.

Thanks for that information/experience perspective. I’m now more excited for the Rokar Gresh box. Three horse chariots and ruinbringer war and add a clean 500 pts to my 1k list since there’s two groups of Knights already in it. Pretty cool tactics!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broverpowerd said:

List is on page 96.

Those are 7 units and a hero. 

Heroes:

-Chaos Lord

- Sorcerer Lord

- 6* Varanguard

- 3* Varanguard

Units:

- Chaos Warriors

- Knights

- Knights

-Warshrine

A total of 8 units and at least 1 hero. Consider that heroes are units as well. 

10 hours ago, Smillis88 said:

If im running a nurgle plaguetouched warhand list is there any limit on the number of nurgle heroes i can take? Or any points limit? 

There is no Limit of taking Nurgle units if they are Slaves to Darkness as well or Nurgle in a Nurgle army. It's just that only 8 Nurgle units in total fit into this Bataillon. Other units are separate Drops. The list as IT is is a one-drop, which is really good, because you can decide who takes the First turn. 

2 hours ago, Salyx said:

There is no Limit of taking Nurgle units if they are Slaves to Darkness as well or Nurgle in a Nurgle army. It's just that only 8 Nurgle units in total fit into this Bataillon. Other units are separate Drops. The list as IT is is a one-drop, which is really good, because you can decide who takes the First turn. 

I do like the sound of that and thanks for the help. Was planning on playing a list with the glottkin, sorcerer lord, marauders, warriors and a shrine 

I should have known those teases of chaos warrior looking things would be yet another warband and not an actual multi part kit with weapon options to fit the actual game... The sorceress is rather cool though and the minis alone will probably cost about the same as a lone chaos sorceror does now.

The new Slaanesh stuff though, oh boy... Could be tempting to build those models with the odd mutant weapons but the cool helms instead of the 
Caitlyn Jenner faces and run them as chosen in fun games.

5 hours ago, KoganStyle said:

Glotkin is not a Slaves to Darkness Nurgle model so will not fit into the battalion 

Sorry for the confusion. Was asking if there are limits to the actual nurgle heroes like glottkin, GUO, harbinger, etc when you take slaves in a plaguetouched warband list. I know they wont benifit from the battalion. Will they be considered allied in even tho im going nurgle with my STD? Thanks again for the help. 

I'm trying to line up my next list for when I finish painting my Giants (I find having a list I'm excited for helps me be motivated to paint). I'm eyeing slaves to darkness and I was wondering what people's thoughts on Idolators and/or Tzeentch marked units are. Both of these look pretty questionable to me but I don't have much experience with STD.