The Painting Contract - December 2019

TheOtherJosh

Hello folks and welcome to the Painting Contract for December 2019!

It’s the last painting contract of 2019!

If you don't know the rules they are:

Each month you post an amount of models that you agree to try to paint/build/convert/sculpt. This can be terrain or models for Age Of Sigmar, Warcry, Blood Bowl, Blitz Bowl, Warhammer Underworlds, Warhammer Quest Silver Tower / Shadows Over Hammerhal, or Gorechosen.

On the 28th of the month the contract closes and you can then post your progress images so that they can be critiqued, shared and boasted about. It is a great way to get involved in the community and to get inspiration.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone share their progress!

Enjoy!

@Mohojoe@TheOtherJosh

• Like 1

Okay, Friday the 13th I have a gaming day planned, no way that appointment isn't going to fall through 😂. So from all the Ogors I have partly done I'm going to try to finish before then:
1. 3 Leadbelchers
2. 20 Gnoblars
3. Mawpot
3. Brokk Gurnisson (I know not an Ogor but hopefully he'll see the field)
4. Stretch: 2 Ironblasters, 4 converted Leadbelchers

If I get that done (not likely) on the to-do list are:
- Finishing the OverTyrant
- Finish 4 Gluttons
- Tyrant
- Rebase everything old. 
edit my girl will be gifting me a SC collecting Beastclaw raiders box. So a frostlord and converted slaughtermaster are added to this list. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

So for this month the plan is:

1. 6 Necropolis Stalkers (half done at the moment)

2. Boneshaper

3. 20 more Mortek Guard

Stretch:

Finish and base Nagash. I started the model the best part of 3 years ago, but never finished off some of the details. Im resisting the urge to strip it at the moment, as it will not be the same quality as the rest of the army once I’m finished, but it’s a good measure of how much I’ve improved in that time.

• Like 1

Depending on how the local post office will deliver my orders (there was a recent national strike), my plan for december is:

12 Ogor Gluttons

4 Mournfangs

3 (metal) Maneaters

Tyrant

Ironblaster

Slaughtermaster

Frostlord on Stonehorn

- Built, converted, based and (hopefully) at least primed before the end of the month, might start painting as well if the weather is good for priming.

Edited by Priha
Added maneaters to the list
  • Like 1

December is going to be tought because of family events, but i want to end the corpse cart an 3 to 5 black knights, magnetized to be able to use them as hexwraiths. The mortis engine from the malignants set will have to wait, because in january the Mortal Realms collection starts...

• Like 1

I shall pledge to finish this month (but do not promise 😋

- Finish the last 3 Namarti I need to complete a squad of 10.

- Finish the remaining 2 Akhelians for my first squad of Morrsar Guard. 

- 10x Spite-Revenants

- Drycha Hamedreth

I'm going to try to improve my paint hours by shortening the length of my few painting sessions, and increasing the consistency of which I paint over each week. Hoping to get a good bulk of Sylvaneth primed tomorrow.

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Like 1

Well, failed miserably in November. I completed one whole model and am about half way through the second one. So, I will pledge to complete my Gore Gruntaz, and as punishment for my lack of effort, get some converted Greenskin Ard Boyz done as well. I think there are seven of them... that will leave 10 ard boyz to complete my current collection. Will do a whole family shot when its all done.

Update 15 Dec: well, the 3 Gore Gruntaz are done. Not sure if anyone else has painted these but man did they take some time. I have 8 days to finish 5 ard boyz for a game on Christmas eve. Lets see how it goes. I will post pics once they are all done.

Edited by kaaras
Update
  • LOVE IT! 1

Guess I'll start this off with a work-in-progress :).

I might have to change my pledge to focusing on my Akhelian Guard. They're becoming less frustrating as I'm hewing out a standard procedure on how to paint them :).

Trying to figure out whether  I should use a pattern or just highlight the skin and forego the pattern.

6oH0g4a.jpg

GYIoMAk.jpg

k6XwlCm.jpg

0NJ4QgG.jpg

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Like 6

I had a really good November despite a few lost evenings of painting due to planned visits and such.  The update to  Novembers contract will have to wait until I get home tonight. Due to Christmas I think I'll have more time to this month and so will try to complete Neferata, as she is well underway but not quite done. Further I'll 9 Beastigors and the first Great Shaman for my Beast of Chaos army. 

Stretch goals include painting the last four members of my Warcry warband or starting on my 10 black knights. I'm not super keen on either to be honest and as such I might just base and spray the second Start Collecting box of Beasts of chaos I have already assembled. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

A question: are we supposed to save our finished models for the month till the end of the contract? Or do we just continue to post as we progress through our pledges?

Its generally personal preference. I tend to wait, others like to do progress shots. Choice is yours really.

• Thanks 3

Well, I'm back for another month. Just got home after a long trip and jet lagged as hell, but still in one piece, and looking forward to getting back to hobbying after being away from home for a couple weeks.

It has the potential to be another short month due to Christmas travel, but I'll still plan on doing the following:

Knight-Heraldor
Astreia Solbright
Celestar Ballista + Crew

I'll call finishing that list a win if I can manage it, as the Astreia model is very detailed and will probably take me a whole week. If I finish early, I'll go for bonus points by painting an Endless Spell or two. I'll also try and build my next 3 Evocators on Dracolines.

Good luck to everyone else on meeting their goals as well!

On 11/29/2019 at 2:50 PM, Maxi99 said:

So for this month the plan is:

1. 6 Necropolis Stalkers (half done at the moment)

2. Boneshaper

3. 20 more Mortek Guard

Stretch:

Finish and base Nagash. I started the model the best part of 3 years ago, but never finished off some of the details. Im resisting the urge to strip it at the moment, as it will not be the same quality as the rest of the army once I’m finished, but it’s a good measure of how much I’ve improved in that time.

And that’s the Stalkers finished

29CE9E8F-D4BC-44A4-913B-D70DBB1DF171.jpeg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Jymmy said:

Impressive!! I love the bases! Remember me of the Ice Crown Tile Set from Warcraft III!! Can you share the recipe??

They’re a bit crazy but I’ll try to explain.

I wanted to get depth in the ice so ended up cutting into the bases and glueing on plasticard underneath to create a seal, then filled in the gap between the plasticard and base with cork bark. Add any other basing material you want onto the above water part.

Prime the whole let black.

Drybrush up through Mechanicus Standard grey, Russ grey, Fenrisian grey and Ulthuan grey. 

On the plasticard pop a layer of Fenrisian grey down.

Now the fun part... If you want to add anything trapped in the ice paint that up and glue onto the plasticard. I’ve used a mixture of heads and arms and so on but could really be anything. 

Fill up to the original base rim with clear resin and leave to dry. 

Once the resin is dry, add a layer of clear crackle paint. And once that’s drybrush it really lightly with white. All you want to do here is make the cracks really stand out.

And lastly add whatever snow mixture you like to use. I used woodlands scenic soft flake snow with an equal amount of pva and went to town!

You can skip the resin part, in which case don’t bother cutting into the base, and just flatten the surface of the base where you’ll put the crackle paint, a file and a layer of pva should do the trick. But you still want to base coat it with the grey before adding the pva.

• Like 1