Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

On 1/12/2024 at 2:54 AM, JackStreicher said:

(the tray borders technically make trays illegal in tournaments xD)

There's an easy fix for that.  I did it in WHFB, but with rebasing, I need new ones.  magnets under the bases, and steel plates for trays.  No rim!

• Like 3

Old world reveal for this week.

From Sunday preview article:

On Warhammer Community, we have a reveal for the Old World which will make fans of a certain vintage see stars, and lots of Dark Angels coverage. Don’t forget to join us at the end of the week for the Las Vegas Open reveals.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, YoghurtKobold said:

Old world reveal for this week.

From Sunday preview article:

A preview of a new mini would be great, because it means more is coming soon (if they have enough stock. ;-)), but I prefer the preview or even better the release of the legacy pdf's. So we know if they got the same amount of options as the core factions or not. 

I‘ve just seen the prices of the Bretonnian heroes (resin).

My reactions:

Lady and Paladin - Wth?

Bsbs - Are you out of your minds!?

And they are in resin - moulds and the material are extremely cheap. The quality and durability is bad. 
I am still baffled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

My reactions:

Lady and Paladin - Wth?

And they are in resin - moulds and the material are extremely cheap. The quality and durability is bad. 
I am still baffled.

I am not a resin fan, but I have to say that Forge resin is one of the best ones out there.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I am not a resin fan, but I have to say that Forge resin is one of the best ones out there.

That's not saying much. I've built a lot of forge world models and the detail will be nice and crisp, if it isn't warped or miscast. They have bad quality control, the material is fragile and hard to work with. Fine as display pieces if you manage to tidy up the flash, gates, warping, and general brittleness, but they aren't great for heavy use or being transported. 

Big monsters go together a bit better in resin than in metal, I'll give them that, but really metal is better for heroes on foot, and plastic is better for everyone else.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

My reactions:

Lady and Paladin - Wth?

I am still baffled.

Yeah, and I still wanted to buy a couple of them after my more a hour wait, but they were sold out. I wanted to buy the BSB set, I like those and than I could use these to scale my STLs too.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

No, the quality is not phenomenal. It's what you should expect from a resin cast and for that price you should get better casts. Below that than it's a rip off.

I am using now for my prints elegoo ABS like 2.0 and the detail is atleast as good, if not better and much more durable.

With a Elegoo Mars 4 Max 6K + Elegoo ABS 2.0 you are good to for around 200 euro and after a week you printed a 2000 point army for less than the prices you paid for all the new resin Bretonnian/TK miniatures that were available for pre-order and atleast with the same level of detail, if not better.

This picture I printed with my previous printer (4K one), the mini is a realistic scaled 28mm, so smaller that the GW one or most fantasy miniatures. With my 6K it's even better. You really shouldn't go higher for miniature printing.

image.png.30505184ea661ecdc125c5c00297fac1.png

That said, I will still buy them when they are available again. 😉 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Altdorfer said:

I'm a bit concerned about the rules for melee state troops.  I understand that spears will fight in two ranks, that's expected.  Halberds will presumably get +1S and either armor bane or AP-1, probably armor bane.  But the reason I have mine all with sword and board is that they've always served as an anvil, doing absolutely nothing while dying very, very slowly.  That works best with layered survivability and leadership buffs, of course, so I'll have to see what the options are there.  The burning question for me, however, is the sword itself.  WHFB had "parry," and I expect some similar minor buff to survivability.  Could be a 6+ ward, which is pretty powerful, but at the same time, there may be other means of getting that, and it'd be a shame to make it something you can get another way, since that limits stacking, unless the wards would stack, which would be OP.  My guess?  +1WS.  Pretty much no chance of making anyone hit them on 5s instead of 4s, but good potential to drop some foes from 3s to 4s, and that's pretty good.

Halberds and spears work about the same, there is no extra benefit to hand wep and shield though.

All the melee state troops are one statline, but one unit per 1000 points can be made veteran which gives ws4 and some extra options for USRs and magic items, so you could use that for your swordsmen :)

5 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

My reactions:

Lady and Paladin - Wth?

I am still baffled.

The best part for the duo battle Standard is that is is really just one model. Can only take 1 in every list. Think every game I'll just find the point to upgrade to the pegasu version which is in plastic lol.

The lady I find they have a lot of alternatives to find, but that paladin less so which means I may buy it.......

Edited by RyantheFett

6 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Yeah, and I still wanted to buy a couple of them after my more a hour wait, but they were sold out. I wanted to buy the BSB set, I like those and than I could use these to scale my STLs too.

No, the quality is not phenomenal. It's what you should expect from a resin cast and for that price you should get better casts. Below that than it's a rip off.

I am using now for my prints elegoo ABS like 2.0 and the detail is atleast as good, if not better and much more durable.

With a Elegoo Mars 4 Max 6K + Elegoo ABS 2.0 you are good to for around 200 euro and after a week you printed a 2000 point army for less than the prices you paid for all the new resin Bretonnian/TK miniatures that were available for pre-order and atleast with the same level of detail, if not better.

This picture I printed with my previous printer (4K one), the mini is a realistic scaled 28mm, so smaller that the GW one or most fantasy miniatures. With my 6K it's even better. You really shouldn't go higher for miniature printing.

image.png.30505184ea661ecdc125c5c00297fac1.png

That said, I will still buy them when they are available again. 😉 

3D Printing is nice and all I could even print whole model ranges I‘ve sculpted in the past, however I have yet to encounter a resin that isn’t brittle. Whenever a resin print falls to the floor it shatters into tiny pieces. (Swords and elongated parts might break at a touch) 

That‘s why I mainly use it for custom bits :/

It‘s sad since most alternative models are sold as resin prints.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JackStreicher

I think resin evolved a lot. Imo, when dropping miniatures I don't have the feeling it's any worse than plastic, metal or resin. You ofcourse need a bit of luck when it drops to the ground.

A couple of pics of a test I just did. A print of a couple of days ago, but forgot to support the bottom of the flail, so a slight misprint. Dropped him two times in a row. 

image.png.3ad93310b0ddf56a1a746cd692c231f2.pngimage.png.9a94f3f7b871f7d4074d37b3a68a649b.pngimage.png.3f4cf55b6736666d4c3041d331947ee7.pngimage.png.5fe0c1d1db77239c7cec80af1b401e97.pngimage.png.703a0e086c91a47fd2ac2b04acbbf021.pngimage.png.9a3d2c896ad40f865628bdf7387e081e.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

3D Printing is nice and all I could even print whole model ranges I‘ve sculpted in the past, however I have yet to encounter a resin that isn’t brittle. Whenever a resin print falls to the floor it shatters into tiny pieces. (Swords and elongated parts might break at a touch) 

That‘s why I mainly use it for custom bits :/

It‘s sad since most alternative models are sold as resin prints.

ABS or ABS-like are supposed to not break.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

My reactions:

Lady and Paladin - Wth?

I am still baffled.

Have you seen the prices for their plastic hero models? They're about the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Does anybody own last sword miniatures and could post a proportion and size comparison with TOW and or Cities humans? :)

What do you want to compare?

Edited by Tonhel