Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

2 hours ago, KingKull said:

Since we're dwarfposting - I've also just had an army of Highlands Minis dwarfs printed to play some 6th/7th games with friends who kept their old armies in preparations of ToW.

I was lacking inspo to get working on those bad boys but this post has inspired me so much. Stellar work sir!

The best posting is dwarfposting! haha. Thank you, my friend! I'm a HUGE fan of HM, they fit the 6th edition vibes completely. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tervindar said:

The best posting is dwarfposting! haha. Thank you, my friend! I'm a HUGE fan of HM, they fit the 6th edition vibes completely. 

Also, are those dwarves on 20mm or 25mm bases? I printed mine at 90% of the original scale because I thought they were too big, and now I'm thinking my regiments might look a bit too loose on 25mms. The modified size translates how dwarfs should feel compared to other factions perfectly imho though 

4 hours ago, KingKull said:

Also, are those dwarves on 20mm or 25mm bases? I printed mine at 90% of the original scale because I thought they were too big, and now I'm thinking my regiments might look a bit too loose on 25mms. The modified size translates how dwarfs should feel compared to other factions perfectly imho though 

I printed them at 88% scale to match a true 28mm model, and are on 20mm squares. For ToW, I'll just use those trays that have the spacers, as this army I won't be rebasing since I want to keep it potentially for 6th. 

• Like 1

I thought I might share some links to youtube content related to The Old World that I have been enjoying:

My favorite is a ride on  Rob and Val's TOW hype train (toot.toot!). You too can be #squarebased. Here is their latest discussion covering a range of issues.

8 hours ago, Tervindar said:

I printed them at 88% scale to match a true 28mm model, and are on 20mm squares. For ToW, I'll just use those trays that have the spacers, as this army I won't be rebasing since I want to keep it potentially for 6th. 

Dr Blaxill has lead an informed discussion of the base size issue. He is another content creator that I regard highly:

I have decided to accept the new "Retrohammer" format as the newer models really need it. But this does create problems for "Oldhammer" (or "Paleohammer", if you like) and "Medihammer" gaming*. I have 3rd edition, 6th edition and 7th edition rules with a range of 6th edition supplements and army books. So I would like to maintain compatibility. But I think I will use the new base format even for older rule sets to keep the number of formats down. Otherwise I would have three basing formats: round AoS/40K, traditional square format, contemporary Retrohammer format.

I wonder if we should agree that tournaments for Oldhammer/Medihammer (eg: 8th edition and earlier) should stick with the traditional base sizes? If so, I have plans for a 6th ed era "Cult of Slannesh"army, given I have some older models that look a bit small compared to more modern models, that would be happy on smaller bases.

*I think AoS can be regarded as "Neohammer" and TOW should be regarded as "Retrohammer".

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

There absolutely comes a point where X-hammer loses all meaning and you need to start using edition names. 

That time is now :P

Picked up a few more Dwarves recently to expand my old Throng but im waiting on bases, rebasing whole armies is tedious but i dont think movement trays are really the answer given the lack of flexibility you might want, let alone skirmishers and the like. I am hoping basing artillery together wont be too awkward though as it looks a lot better imho.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Noserenda said:

There absolutely comes a point where X-hammer loses all meaning and you need to start using edition names. 

That time is now :P

Picked up a few more Dwarves recently to expand my old Throng but im waiting on bases, rebasing whole armies is tedious but i dont think movement trays are really the answer given the lack of flexibility you might want, let alone skirmishers and the like. I am hoping basing artillery together wont be too awkward though as it looks a lot better imho.

Wait! I am on a role! What about Kings of War, Oathmark and Conquest? We could call them "Nothammer".

To take the basing issue to a whole new level, I was measuring Citadel and unbranded bases.

Citadel 20x20mm is actually 20mm in dimensions.

Unbranded 25x25mm is actually 25mm in dimensions.

Citadel 25x50mm is 24mm by 50mm in dimensions.

I can't find a Citadel 25mm square base without opening a blister pack. Does anyone have one handy to measure? Or is this going to far?

New Article: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/23/old-world-development-diary-the-main-factions-revealed/

So, the main campaing/book/story that we are going to explore will have 9 factions:

Spoiler

t1jYUM5WFRb6puJO.jpg

But a PDF with "Legacy rules" for other armies will be released for free:

Spoiler
  • Dark Elves
  • Skaven
  • Vampire Counts
  • Daemons of Chaos
  • Ogre Kingdoms
  • Lizardmen
  • Chaos Dwarfs

Seems exactly as people said. It remind me about some Horus Heresy Black Books/ Middle Earth Supplements. 

• Like 2

Tomb Kings under 'Evil' is funny but I guess they didn't want to carve out a Neutral category.

Interestingly the Island of Blood Swordmasters are in the High Elf photo, with some old-ish Thunderers at the bottom (although those look like the multi-part ones, not Skull Pass but couldn't say for sure). 

Edited by Clan's Cynic

It’s a nice update. Interestingly there is no mention of Dogs of War. I loved the image of the High Elf models.

I am hoping we will see a release this year. We are getting semi regular articles and updates now. They have provided info on the bases, we know what factions are included, and we have seen a couple of the new models.

2 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

It seems like the studio will be focusing on the pre-existing 8th ed armies first, instead of immediatly adding new factions like Kislev and Cathay... It seems like we won't see truly novel stuff until the far future of TOW. 

I think it is a sensible thing to do. It is easier to get the existing armies in production and update them, than to focus on new factions from the outset. One of the big complaints during 8th was the lack of updates to particular factions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bolfrig Bearhide said:

Interestingly, the tree man model shown was the old one that was updated before the end times. Could suggest that just because older models have been shown in photos, they could still get updates?

I think that's a treekin model and not a treeman.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bolfrig Bearhide said:

Interestingly, the tree man model shown was the old one that was updated before the end times. Could suggest that just because older models have been shown in photos, they could still get updates?

It's kind of mindboggling that they would use that treeman kit in the promotional material. The plastic Treeman kit is infinitely better and was made for Warhammer Fantasy. Are they that determined to avoid cross compatibility between the two systems?

• Like 1

And the disappointment engine they built up over the last few years keeps rolling on... No Dogs of War is a particular disappointment as i was looking to build a Marienburg army, i guess because they were setting up the Empire civil war as the main setting, but then i guess all the setting setup over the last few years was red herrings because its back to the border princes...

The Treeman decision is bizarre too, but then it smacks of the decisions for 30k too where they deliberately go out of their way to avoid 40k kits even if they work in period, presumably to keep sales under their own banner. Which is probably why no skaven too, seeing as their range is essentially unchanged since 8th.

Still, itll be nice to have some White lion bits to convert with.

5 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

And the disappointment engine they built up over the last few years keeps rolling on... No Dogs of War is a particular disappointment as i was looking to build a Marienburg army, i guess because they were setting up the Empire civil war as the main setting, but then i guess all the setting setup over the last few years was red herrings because its back to the border princes...

The Treeman decision is bizarre too, but then it smacks of the decisions for 30k too where they deliberately go out of their way to avoid 40k kits even if they work in period, presumably to keep sales under their own banner. Which is probably why no skaven too, seeing as their range is essentially unchanged since 8th.

Still, itll be nice to have some White lion bits to convert with.

What? Marienburg is one of main Empire subfactions in the game. They are not DoW. But also, just because first book will be set in the Border Princes doesn't mean Civil War won't be the focus. And "avoid 40k kits in 30k" is also not true. You can use Indomitus terminators, you can use old dreadnought, you can use old Rhinos and Land Raiders. You can even use Hammerfal Bunker, a 9th ed unit, in 30k.

Edited by michu