Monsters and Mercenaries!!!

Wraith01

8 hours ago, Myrdin said:

I wonder about the Tzaangor shaman. Any leaks on the abilities  ?

Also and this is a important question - does he come on the Disc ? There is no foot version of this guy, and unlike the other tzaangors, his body and the disc are not separate entities you can magnetize, rather his body is partially casted together with the disc. 

Not impossible to convert, but a pain in the a*ss nonetheless, plus you are running the risk of damaging a not exactly cheap miniature.

Overall though, as far as I see the use of this book, will be mostly campaign one for me. And occasional scenarios with its units/rules added. It seems to me the balance is all over the place, and I dont care for people super cheesing a small format game like this...

GMG's review spoils it, and he's pretty good it seems. Tzeench's double ability allows them to add half the ability in strength to their ranges sorcerer's blast, and a triple allows the shaman to basically use inspiring presence to allow a second guy to activate. He's on a disk, and it gives him a pretty good attack characteristic compared to the gaunt summoner in close combat, as well as 10 inches worth of speed. 

I plan on getting one for my iron Golems to solidify their alligence to tzeench and to replace the ogor with someone who can maybe do something more.

I havn't played the suppliment, but it seems balanced enough. I admit the extra damage stuff like the darkoath chieften and deathbringer may be a bit much, but I think it could be balanced out. @Grimrock pointed out it's for everyone in a bubble, but for a quad it really has tough competition for a rampage or faction ability. that said, it basically outclasses the faction ability for a majority of warbands, so we will just have to see?

• Like 1

I saw pics of those months ago and had no idea what they were for but was sorely hoping for some undivided daemons for AoS.   Maybe some more such Daemons will show up in Warcry and/or AoS…..we got new Furies afterall.

I can't decide on the Chaos Warband I want to make, probably the Iron Golems to start.  Have the Gitz and Bonesplitterz assembled, and all the Grand Alliances got some good allies to throw in there.  Really makes use of some of the random guys in storage too, or odd old blister pack in the back of the FLGS for $5 :D

Trying it out for the first time next week.  Looks like people can get 2-3 games in a regular night out.  I think the expansion is good timing actually, keeps the momentum and makes for that many more combos to try out until the next major push, which will probably be more faction card-packs?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/30/warcry-the-future-of-the-eightpoints/

They're releasing this expansion some day, but don't know if there will be skaven in it. could be, as they hint to having the faction cards "And more"

Haha I was just on my way to post this.

I do hope this new book will have more warbands than they previously released.

Maybe they’ll use this to fix some of the imbalances. As a stormcast player I wouldn’t mind seeing the gryphounds lowered to 15 wounds or so, they are too tough right now.

It looks like they’re heading towards a general’s handbook type format ( the cover says 2019)...

All in all I’m pretty excited! It looks like they’re supporting warcry for the long haul; it’s the first time in a long time that I’m fully invested in a game. I’m definitely buying the book, and I need to see if I can convince some people to pool our money together to get the starter set.

I think there's no way it doesn't have new warbands (they kind of hinted at it too); at least from a value perspective I think it'd be a little lame if they replaced the $8 card sets with the book if the book was JUST the same warbands as have been released already. Personally I'm expecting them to add in a lot more AoS armies to really get people on board with it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/30/warcry-the-future-of-the-eightpoints/

They're releasing this expansion some day, but don't know if there will be skaven in it. could be, as they hint to having the faction cards "And more"

I'm betting they're doing this to phase out the cards to make rule changes easier, plus they seem to have trouble keeping the cards in stock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

I fully expect Warcry to be like Killteam - ALL the factions can play! The differences being that its got a more complete campaign and game system; uses cards to speed up and make setup much more easily managed for newbies and also has "unique" models in the Chaos forces

Was that the intent? I was always under the impression that it was more like Necromunda or Bloodbowl - a distinct game with distinct factions. The current AoS factions added in during launch seemed more like a way to get people to try Warcry, rather than turning Warcry into "AoS but different".

It's clear that the Chaos warbands are better designed and balanced from a gameplay perspective, and it's almost arbitrary which AoS units/faction got picked over others. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

Was that the intent? I was always under the impression that it was more like Necromunda or Bloodbowl - a distinct game with distinct factions. The current AoS factions added in during launch seemed more like a way to get people to try Warcry, rather than turning Warcry into "AoS but different".

It's clear that the Chaos warbands are better designed and balanced from a gameplay perspective, and it's almost arbitrary which AoS units/faction got picked over others. 

I think if GW wanted it to only include the chaos forces they'd have kept it as such. Just look at how the warcry boxes easily blend into AoS proper. Each Warband forms one segment of three or four that can comprise a full unit of basic warriors for a Slave to Darkness force. That to me speaks volumes of GW's intention that Warcry blends into AoS. The only real difference is that GW has focused on Chaos exclusively for new models and it might even be them simply using Chaos as a cornerstone or evolving a once Chaos Only game into the Killteam slot.

Meanwhile the Warbands for something like Underworld are not as seemless a merge and are often a bit more overly complex - appearing like a halfdozen characters in one go rather than a block of troops. In addition games like Necromunda are fully separate and the units cannot be brought into the main game (unless you proxy them of course). 

Warcry is likely, in part, a result of GW using new methods to release models outside of big codex updates; and also a combination of two projects that likely allowed Warcry to get its own models whilst at the same time providing new sculpts for an existing army (slaves to darkness). 

Balance is variable and I'm sure the other warbands will improve; that the new book they've announced has 2019 on the front suggests taht their long term plan is annual books which will update rules and balance and likely add new models to the game - most likely reflecting a year of releasing new models in general and thus adding them into warcry as well. 

• Like 2

@Overread it's interesting because I feel pretty much the complete opposite of you. To me the warcry warbands fit into AoS incredibly awkwardly. Having big unique models like the rocktusk prowler with mostly the same stats as the plains runners doesn't feel seamless, it feels shoehorned in to keep things simple. Something that lets them say there are AoS warscrolls without putting in a bunch of effort. The idea that they will form the core of an eventual chaos release is just truly bizarre to me because they just don't seem to be designed to take 20-30 at a time. Too many mono pose models with tons of detail and character. 

My impression was that Warcry was originally meant to be like necromunda. A stand alone, chaos only, game with all new models. Sure the models could be used in AoS, but it'd be more like the rogue trader release for killteam. Then when the details got out and people started complaining about it being chaos only they quickly jumped in and put the other factions in the book. There's such a significant difference in overall feel and flexibility between the base chaos warbands and the non chaos stuff... it seems like the non chaos stuff couldn't have been intentional from the start. Plus we had that bizarre dead zone for like 6 months between the initial info and the actual release that could've given them time to scramble and make the extra campaigns before sending the book to print. Who knows, maybe that's why we saw the monsters and mercenaries book so quickly. That stuff could've been intended for the core book but got shuffled out to fit the extra warband campaigns.

Of course that doesn't mean that we won't see AoS factions rolled in now. That Pandora's box has been opened for better or for worse, and Iknow I'd love to see daemons. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

@Overread it's interesting because I feel pretty much the complete opposite of you. To me the warcry warbands fit into AoS incredibly awkwardly. Having big unique models like the rocktusk prowler with mostly the same stats as the plains runners doesn't feel seamless, it feels shoehorned in to keep things simple. Something that lets them say there are AoS warscrolls without putting in a bunch of effort. The idea that they will form the core of an eventual chaos release is just truly bizarre to me because they just don't seem to be designed to take 20-30 at a time. Too many mono pose models with tons of detail and character. 

My impression was that Warcry was originally meant to be like necromunda. A stand alone, chaos only, game with all new models. Sure the models could be used in AoS, but it'd be more like the rogue trader release for killteam. Then when the details got out and people started complaining about it being chaos only they quickly jumped in and put the other factions in the book. There's such a significant difference in overall feel and flexibility between the base chaos warbands and the non chaos stuff... it seems like the non chaos stuff couldn't have been intentional from the start. Plus we had that bizarre dead zone for like 6 months between the initial info and the actual release that could've given them time to scramble and make the extra campaigns before sending the book to print. Who knows, maybe that's why we saw the monsters and mercenaries book so quickly. That stuff could've been intended for the core book but got shuffled out to fit the extra warband campaigns.

Of course that doesn't mean that we won't see AoS factions rolled in now. That Pandora's box has been opened for better or for worse, and Iknow I'd love to see daemons. 

I'd heard that the AoS warbands were initially added because store owners and TOs who got early previews asked pointedly "Where are the other Factions?". But that's hearsay and not necessarily anything truthful. 

I definitely agree with Grimrock about the models. Everything having different aesthetics, having strange unit sizes and variable models, having clear Leaders with more details than some Heroes that are just unit champions - they don't seem to slot into AoS that well imo. Like I said, it feels a lot like Necromunda, where they clearly fit with the universe at large but are so distinct that they clearly are made for their own sub-setting. 

To me it becomes even more clear when you look at the unit types and weapons in the non-Chaos factions. All the Warcry Warbands are relatively similar - some mooks, some midrange guys, one or two big hitters, one of which is your leader. Cool. But then you get LoN, who have a Wizard who is somehow more tanky than most other Leaders and uses ranged spells. You have Stormcast, who now all have guns, when ranged is few and far bewteen in the "basic" warbands. Gitz and Idoneth have Cavalry (but somehow Bonesplitterz and others don't?), which looks kinda crazy next to the chumps in other warbands. It honestly feels like they were made for another version of this game than the warbands that are designed for it. 

• Like 3

I think Meeting Engagements is somehow tied in with/related to Warcry Dev. 

Released just mere months before Warcry in the Gen Handbook, 1000 points, divided up three ways in a smaller battlefield...

Edited by Dew
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, has anyone been trying out their mercenaries? I am finding that the Aspiring deathbringer is probably my favorite ****** kicker in the game currently, and even if I don't get quads all the time he's still a beatstick. I only used his slaughter incarnate ability twice, but often times others in my warband whiff when I try to lay the smackdown on people.