AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

8 hours ago, Arkahn said:
  • access to Mighty Destroyers is mandatory but from a Megaboss is kind of a tax, instead from an Ironfist, GGs are in every list (for a good reasons !)
    Megaboss is a tax, at least its on a half decent small combat hero, I've moved to using brutish cunning with ironfist (mawkrusha/ironfist)
  • I need to try more 30 Arrowboyz to see how worth they are, with and without the Maniak weirdnob (+1 to hit spell can be mandatory is this case)
    They are really good for chip damage and clearing chaff screens, always having some form of reach is handy for a list
  • are 4 Big stabbas can be worth over a HoG / 5 Ardboyz.. ? 
    I'd prefer the Hand of Gork, especially considering your lists all seem to run an Idol, but they are good little harassment pieces because they threaten little units really well.
  • can we make a BW list without a Wurrgog prophet ? 
    Definitely, he's really strong but not always an auto include, considering he's more of a synergy piece with bonesplittas units.

Edited by Garuun
  • Like 1

I have run out of Orruk models to paint (except for a Warchanter and I have two done) and have no Gloomspite models either (almost finished Rippa's Snarlfangs).  I am not in the mood for painting more Cities at the moment, so have been digging through my old stuff.  I have plenty of old metal orcs from back in the day and some 32mm bases,  So I was wondering whether there is a case for having  30 or 40 Orruks (limited by no of bases) in a Big Waagh army and if the Greenskins will survive past GHB 2020.  I made 8 Snotling bases last year, had a couple of games with them, then saw them disappear, so am slightly wary about putting the effort in.  I would appreciate any thoughts you might have, thanks.

Hello all, hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these difficult times.  I am working on some Big Stabbas and wanted to hear y'alls thoughts on how you painted them.  Did any of you do them in Sub Assembly or did you paint them fully built?  I was about to start working on them but they seem pretty difficult to paint fully assembled.  That being said, it seems like it may be difficult to make sure their hands are in the right place, if done in sub assembly. 

Thank you for the advice!

@Marcoangelo33 Fully built. First because it meant I could start using them in games immediately, but also because there's a bit of work in getting them to stand properly with the very loose 'contact' fits of the hands on the stabba. I usually only bother with subassemblies where the fully constructed model will make it difficult/impossible to reach spaces, especially with an airbrush, I didn't find it necessary with big stabbas with the spear stuck pretty far out and the orcs not packed closely together.

Actually I don't think I sub-assembled a single Savage Orruk unit, come to think of it... the way they all have their arms held up makes them pretty convenient to paint as one big chunk.

Edited by NauticalSoup
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I have run out of Orruk models to paint (except for a Warchanter and I have two done) and have no Gloomspite models either (almost finished Rippa's Snarlfangs).  I am not in the mood for painting more Cities at the moment, so have been digging through my old stuff.  I have plenty of old metal orcs from back in the day and some 32mm bases,  So I was wondering whether there is a case for having  30 or 40 Orruks (limited by no of bases) in a Big Waagh army and if the Greenskins will survive past GHB 2020.  I made 8 Snotling bases last year, had a couple of games with them, then saw them disappear, so am slightly wary about putting the effort in.  I would appreciate any thoughts you might have, thanks.

I probably have 50 of the metal Arrer Boyz, which look great despite lacking in model diversity. I plan to proxy them as the Savage equivalent. A nice thing about the old Greenskinz is that there is a very obvious Savage equivalent for most of it. I'm expecting the Greenskinz to go away.

I also have a pile of the basic boyz that I purchased the better looking heads and spears for from the boar boyz. If I ever follow through with that project I'll also proxy them as the Savage equivalent. The Greenskinz will aesthetically mix better with the Ironjawz IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I probably have 50 of the metal Arrer Boyz, which look great despite lacking in model diversity. I plan to proxy them as the Savage equivalent. A nice thing about the old Greenskinz is that there is a very obvious Savage equivalent for most of it. I'm expecting the Greenskinz to go away.

I also have a pile of the basic boyz that I purchased the better looking heads and spears for from the boar boyz. If I ever follow through with that project I'll also proxy them as the Savage equivalent. The Greenskinz will aesthetically mix better with the Ironjawz IMO.

I do have about 30 old Arrer Boyz, a few of which are actually old Savage Orcs.  The rest, about 60 or so are a mix of two choppas or choppa and shield, and about 20 Ruglud's Armoured Orcs.  Unfortunately, even the latter are just too small to be Ardboyz, even though they are fully armoured, and, ironically, too armoured to be Savage Orruks.   I may take up your path and work on the Arrer Boyz - perhaps they are just starting down the path of savagery and not yet cast off their armour.  Once Greenskins have gone away, they can't be mistaken for anything else.  I have 20 Morboys painted so it might be a bit confusing (for my opponent) to have two types of melee savage orruks on the field at the same time.

15 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

@Marcoangelo33 Fully built. First because it meant I could start using them in games immediately, but also because there's a bit of work in getting them to stand properly with the very lose 'contact' fits of the hands on the stabba. I usually only bother with subassemblies where the fully constructed model will make it difficult/impossible to reach spaces, especially with an airbrush, I didn't find it necessary with big stabbas with the spear stuck pretty far out and the orcs not packed closely together.

Actually I don't think I sub-assembled a single Savage Orruk unit, come to think of it... the way they all have their arms held up makes them pretty convenient to paint as one big chunk.

Thank you very much for the input, I really appreciate it. 

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Command Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 138

Hello, all. I took this to a tournament and placed fairly well (back when you could go to tournaments obviously lol). Looking at this from a competitive standpoint, can you see any improvements I can make? 

Thank you for all help

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kasper said:

@MKsmash I would switch the artefact for Ethereal Amulet and reconsider the mount trait. Weird 'Un is really powerful vs spells/debuffs. Otherwise it looks solid. 

Thank you!

I've heard Weird'Un is really good before, so maybe I'll use that.  I've done the maths out for gryph-feather and EA and they perform about the same. The feather gives me the additional 1" of movement, so thats why I use it.

• Like 1

Hi, got a rookie question. I am starting to build a ironjawz army. I have a similar list in mind, but without the cabbage. I want to take the megaboss on foot and spend the points in a third earchanter and a second unit of brutes. Is this nearly as competitive as the maw-krusha? 

Orruk Megaboss [150pts]: 2. Ethereal Amulet, 3. Brutish Cunning, General

Orruk Warchanter [110pts]: 1. Get 'Em Beat

Orruk Warchanter [110pts]: 2. Fixin' Beat

Orruk Warchanter [110pts]: 3. Killa Beat

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman [110pts]

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Ironfist [1,300pts]

. Orruk Ardboys: 3x 5 Ardboys, Standard Bearer (Orruk), Waaagh! Drummer

. Orruk Brutes: 5 Brutes, Boss Choppa, Gore-choppa, Pair of Brute Choppas

. Orruk Brutes: 5 Brutes, Boss Klaw and Brute Smasha, Gore-choppa, Pair of Brute Choppas

. Orruk Gore-Gruntas: 2x 3 Gore-Gruntas, Jagged Gore-hacka

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Realm of Origin: Origin: Shyish

+ Command Points +

Purchased Command Points [100pts]: 2x 1 Command Point

++ Total: [1,990pts] ++[

51 minutes ago, Korti said:

Orruk Megaboss [150pts]: 2. Ethereal Amulet, 3. Brutish Cunning, General

Orruk Warchanter [110pts]: 1. Get 'Em Beat

Orruk Warchanter [110pts]: 2. Fixin' Beat

Orruk Warchanter [110pts]: 3. Killa Beat

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman [110pts]

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Ironfist [1,300pts]

. Orruk Brutes: 5 Brutes, Boss Choppa, Gore-choppa, Pair of Brute Choppas

. Orruk Brutes: 5 Brutes, Boss Klaw and Brute Smasha, Gore-choppa, Pair of Brute Choppas

. Orruk Gore-Gruntas: 2x 3 Gore-Gruntas, Jagged Gore-hacka

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Realm of Origin: Origin: Shyish

+ Command Points +

Purchased Command Points [100pts]: 2x 1 Command Point

++ Total: [1,990pts] ++[

This list isn't bad. However, I would use the warscroll builder on the aos community site or Azyr over battlescribe, as it can be very difficult to read.

First off, you can only purchase only 1 command point.

Brutes are meh, taking only 1 might be better.  The maw-krusha is very good and you should usually take it over the megaboss on foot, though if you don't have one I completely understand.

I like the big units of ardboyz and the unit of 6 GG's, those do very well.

I don't know if battlescribe lets you do this, but the best spell to use for the weirdnob is The Great Green Hand.

Overall, I think the list is pretty solid!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot. Definetly will check out azyr. Brutes are more a thing of looking cool on the board. Maybe increasing the ardboyz to 20 instead of the brutes? Ore better a third unit of 10 ardboyz? 

Edited by Korti

2 hours ago, Korti said:

Thanks a lot. Definetly will check out azyr. Brutes are more a thing of looking cool on the board. Maybe increasing the ardboyz to 20 instead of the brutes? Ore better a third unit of 10 ardboyz? 

Are you aiming for more competitive or just fun?

I'm not sure how a unit of 20 ardboys is. It would definitely be fun to see, and would be very dangerous if buffed by a warchanter.

However, another unit of 10 ardboyz would probably be better.

Hi everyone,

So with Seraphon being a bit of the new hotness, I thought I'd share my experiences so far. Be good to hear how others have been faring.

Here's the list I run (I gave a bit of a strategy break-down a couple of pages back - minor change was on the weird no shaman to allow him to cast teleport and green puke twice to support aggressive movement).

Spoiler

Allegiance: Big Waaagh! (5 - Drops)
Mortal Realm: Shyish
- General
- Command Trait: Bursting with Power
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork & Wrath of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110) - Ardfist Warchanter
- Artefact: The Ragged Cloak (if playing in the realms)
Wardokk (80)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- 3x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
Ardfist (120)
Ironfist (160)

Wounds: 163

I've played 3 games against them now with my Big Waaagh.

Game 1: The first game I played my usual strategy of sit back, giving turns away in order to deny the double and build up Waaagh! points. Comets Call and teleporting bastiladons soon put an end to my characters. After that point I couldn't establish a grip on objectives and was screened out from the squishy units at the back. End Result: Got smashed on VPs. 

Reflection: This got me to thinking, maybe I need to go against the usual strategy and get a bit more aggressive against Seraphon, if nothing else to try and pin them in and maybe get the sacrificial units back on 4+ from Ardfist.

Game 2 & 3 were similar affairs with one exception, one was Starborne the other was Coalesced: In both games I was able to out drop the lizards giving me the shot at Turn 1 which this time I took. In both games the general rolled 2 Waaagh Points, giving me 7 from him and the chanters/wardokk. This went up to 13 with the command ability and after a succesfull teleport and charge 15 Waaagh Points (so close to 16!). I got lucky with both the teleport rolls which were pretty high. The shaman was able to cast most of the green pukes to allow the small units of 5 ardboys to grab objectives in the first turn.

In both games the Ardboys smashed what they hit in the first turn and were then wiped out in the Seraphon players first turn. They came back once and this pretty much ended the game as in my second turn I then had another 15 ardboys teleport in and pigs run up and charge preventing the Coalesced player from being able to grab enough objectives.

Against the Starborne the ardboys didn't come back. I won the roll for second turn and, as all the firepower had previously gone on the ardboys and I knew my characters were safe for a turn, I gave the turn away to prevent a double. I took some damage on units but the key pieces were left alive and I was able to push hard (with some help from Waaagh Magic) in my second turn with army now fully buffed. I cleared out everything bar 2 bastiladons, the slann and a skink starpriest. At this point I firmly had the objectives and my opponent called it after some theory hammer of how he could get objectives back.

Conclusion: So, 2 for 3 against Seraphon and playing aggressive with Big Waaagh worked so far. Not the normal strategy as I normally like to sit back for a couple of turns to build up the Waaagh buff, but pinning such a mobile army in place with a strung out unit of Ardboys worked a treat. Will keep giving this a go. If that first unit gets in combat and then comes back from the dead it's such a morale hit for the opponent having effectively lost a whole turn dealing with a unit that then comes back - but obviously this should never be relied on.

Edited by VonSmall
  • Like 4

So I've been looking at a lot of lists that are flying around / being talked about at the moment, particularly with regards to the amount of massive threat range shooting and/or magic that is creeping in.

Big Waaagh relies heavily on the general being alive so resilience is key as you can't always rely on keeping him hidden. More and more i'm looking at the Krusha boss with Ethereal Amulet and Werid Un thinking that, while expensive, he may be the best bet. Once he gets to 20+ Waaagh points he's still a total beast.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, VonSmall said:

So I've been looking at a lot of lists that are flying around / being talked about at the moment, particularly with regards to the amount of massive threat range shooting and/or magic that is creeping in.

Big Waaagh relies heavily on the general being alive so resilience is key as you can't always rely on keeping him hidden. More and more i'm looking at the Krusha boss with Ethereal Amulet and Werid Un thinking that, while expensive, he may be the best bet. Once he gets to 20+ Waaagh points he's still a total beast.

What are your thoughts?

He's pretty much the go-to. I think all other builds are compared to the Brutish Cunning, Ethereal, Weird boss. Things like Metalrippa's claw and Gryph-Feather charm have their own benefits, but the default cabbage loadout is definitely what you said.

• Like 1

How well does Gorkmorka's Warcry spell work against fight first abilities (i.e. fyreslayers, deepkin, FEC) or fight last abilities (slaanesh, sylvaneth, etc.)?  Does it make the the unit fighting first go to regular turn order? does it make the opposing unit that made you fight last, fight after your unit since they fight last as well?

I know it has no affect on "fight immediately", but wasn't sure on other interactions.  I could also just be super wrong about the spell.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:54 AM, VonSmall said:

What are your thoughts?

So I sort of agree, but am curious what you think the rest of the list looks like around the big guy?

On 5/5/2020 at 12:52 AM, Molkaice said:

How well does Gorkmorka's Warcry spell work against fight first abilities (i.e. fyreslayers, deepkin, FEC) or fight last abilities (slaanesh, sylvaneth, etc.)?  Does it make the the unit fighting first go to regular turn order? does it make the opposing unit that made you fight last, fight after your unit since they fight last as well?

I know it has no affect on "fight immediately", but wasn't sure on other interactions.  I could also just be super wrong about the spell.

Well that's quite the rabbit hole right there!

Luckily @Nico has got your back:

https://aosshorts.com/nicolab-the-activation-wars-part-2/

In general, it comes down to which ability triggered most recently.  Spells like Warcry are fairly low down the pecking order in Activation Wars, because other things trigger in the charge or combat phase, which means they are more recent and therefore take precedence. 

But it's still useful against the many, many unit that have no real foothold in Activation Wars.

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 hours ago, jake3991 said:

So I sort of agree, but am curious what you think the rest of the list looks like around the big guy?

If I was going down the Krusha route I'd probably be including an Ironfist as this gives the army the flexibility of double Mighty Destroyers and means you aren't relying so heavily on your Weirdnob Shaman's Hand of Gork for your army manoeuverability.

That being said, I love the Ardfist as it means you can jam your big blocks of Ardboyz up the field to grab objectives before all the army buffs kick in and have a chance of potentially bringing them back.

Something like the below could work but I'm not convinced as the body count is very low. If you rolled  1 for Waaagh points on the general you'd be on a maximum of 9 Waaagh points turn 1 where I like to be on 12  to have the 6++ save.

Spoiler

- General
- Command Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: The Ragged Cloak
Orruk Warchanter (110)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
Ardfist (120)
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Wounds: 128

Edited by VonSmall

Leaders
- General
- Command Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Jagged Gore-hackas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Wounds: 134

I've created this list for an event called Nashcon, which is a 2 list event. 

A secondary list I've considered is the same as above except I'd swap 1 of the Warchanters for 1 Weirdknob Shaman for access to The Great Green Hand of Gork and grant him the Shaman's Skullcap artefact.  

I've got 3 versions of the Megaboss on Maw-Krusha I am not sure what to do with. One is Ironclad + Daubing of mork, Weird 'Un, which I think may well be extremely effective against Changehost, as, from what I remember Flamers of Tzeentch and Horrors do not have rend, so that's a 2+, 6+++ (Daubing of Mork), 6+++ (Laugh at 'Em), 4+++ vs Spells (Weird 'Un.) 

One version would be something like Brutish Cunning, Ethereal Amulet, Weird 'Un for Mighty Destroyers access (free move, free fight, etc... very powerful), Unable to be hit with rend vs high rend things like a Rogue Idol, or many type of Calvary on the charge which get -2 rend, any Duardin near runepriests, etc.. and 4+++ FNP vs Spells. So that's 3+/6+++/4+++ vs spells.

The last version I've considered is the all out killer, just forsaking all defense for FULL MURDER with like Brutish Cunning, Metalripper's Klaw, Mean 'Un, which would give him Mighty Destroyers, -3 Rend on his Choppa and +1 damage to the mount, combined with Warchanter for like 3/3/-3/2 and 3/3/-2/4 profile on offense. 

Thoughts or opinions? 

Turn 1 it seems I can get around 10 points (2 per Warchanter so 4, 1 for Wurgog Prophet, 1 (worst case) for general, 4 if I use the Command Ability and have at least 40 models wholly within 18'' of the Megaboss, which seems doable with screening properly as it were.) Of course I could get more if I have Brutish Cunning and get a turn 1 charge to gain an extra for having a hero in combat. 

Turn 2 I can for sure get up to 20, especially as I have 3 blocks of 10 (or more) Ardboyz who will probably be able to make a charge by this point, plus all the heroes, plus having at least 1 hero in combat. 

I think my list is pretty solid. Any feedback for my first list? Any suggestions for my 2nd list?