The Painting Contract - July 2019

Since @TheOtherJosh appears to be indisposed (or is just a  little quitter like that gold-obsessed "God-King"), I'll make the thread this month.

Hello folks and welcome to the Painting Contract for July 2019!

If you don't know the rules they are:

Each month you post an amount of models that you agree to try to paint/build/convert/sculpt. This can be terrain or models for Age Of Sigmar, Blood Bowl, Blitz Bowl, Warhammer Underworlds, Warhammer Quest Silver Tower / Shadows Over Hammerhal,  Gorechosen, or Warcry.

On the 28th of the month the contract closes and you can then post your progress images so that they can be critiqued, shared and boasted about. It is a great way to get involved in the community and to get inspiration.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone share their progress!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Okay, vacation is over and I'm back at my painting desk. With contrast out, I'm going to try and break the back of my backlog in a single month. I'm waiting to pick up all the Contrast Paints when back in the UK (It's about 100€ cheaper with discount retailers and the shoddy exchange rate) so the first half of the month will be assembly and zenithal priming, with a production line of backlog minis to follow:

This month I pledge:

• 80 clanrats
  • 40 grot stabbers
  • 40 freeguild guard (Perry miniatures)
  • 10 daemonettes
  • 5 assorted test minis.
  • 8 Scuttlings
  • 7 Stormcast
  • 1 griffhound
  • 1 daemon prince
  • 5 hellstriders
  • 3 character minis
  • 40 Saurus Warriors
  • 50 Skinks
  • 10 Ungors

Tl;dr: That should take me to 300 battle ready minis this month.

Time to see if contrast is worth the hype in terms of speed painting. I thought 4 bloodthirsters in a month was bad.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, AGPO said:

Okay, vacation is over and I'm back at my painting desk. With contrast out, I'm going to try and break the back of my backlog in a single month. I'm waiting to pick up all the Contrast Paints when back in the UK (It's about 100€ cheaper with discount retailers and the shoddy exchange rate) so the first half of the month will be assembly and zenithal priming, with a production line of backlog minis to follow:

This month I pledge:

• 80 clanrats
  • 40 grot stabbers
  • 10 daemonettes
  • 5 assorted test minis.
  • 8 Scuttlings
  • 7 Stormcast
  • 1 griffhound
  • 1 daemon prince
  • 5 hellstriders
  • 3 character minis
  • 40 Saurus Warriors
  • 50 Skinks
  • 10 Ungors

Time to see if contrast is worth the hype in terms of speed painting. I thought 4 bloodthirsters in a month was bad.

Good luck

Most of the month will be spend abroad so I’ll see what I’m up for when I get back. One of the following:

1 build awesome base for Brokk Grungsson / paint brokk*

2. Finish church tower terrain 

3. Finish last Skaven (except for: thanquol)

4. Convert thanquol base / paint

5. Convert and paint 5 chaos warriors & 2 chariots 

6. Paint last  6 daemon slayers/hearthguard bezerkers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AGPO said:

This month I pledge:

• 80 clanrats
  • 40 grot stabbers
  • 10 daemonettes
  • 5 assorted test minis.
  • 8 Scuttlings
  • 7 Stormcast
  • 1 griffhound
  • 1 daemon prince
  • 5 hellstriders
  • 3 character minis
  • 40 Saurus Warriors
  • 50 Skinks
  • 10 Ungors

Okay, you've inspired me to do something insane as well, and finish one of my many collected armies in a month. :D

• 2 Great Bray Shaman
  • 60 Gor
  • 20 Ungor
  • 10 Ungor Raiders
  • 20 Bestigors
  • 1 Beastlord
  • 6 Bullgors
  • 1 Ghorgon
  • 1 Razorgor
  • 15 Chaos Warhounds
  • 1 Chimera
  • 1 Herdstone

140 models, 2060 Points.

I've done my test models and found that I like most of the brown Contrast paints, so I will likely be using a combination of them to paint everything  slightly different. Each paint is a little different, but I found that my mistakes while using the browns came more from my frenetic painting than from losing control of the paint. They definitely need experimentation before pressing into full use.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AGPO said:

This month I pledge:

• 80 clanrats
  • 40 grot stabbers
  • 10 daemonettes
  • 5 assorted test minis.
  • 8 Scuttlings
  • 7 Stormcast
  • 1 griffhound
  • 1 daemon prince
  • 5 hellstriders
  • 3 character minis
  • 40 Saurus Warriors
  • 50 Skinks
  • 10 Ungors

Don’t know if you’re a hero or a madman ;) 

good luck my man!

• Haha 1

In the theme of variety, I managed to find a BNIB (shrink wrap and all) copy of Dreadfleet. I will aim to assemble all the ships (now, this is a bit dodgy as they are mostly assembled) and get the terrain pieces painted. If I get a ship or two painted, that will be a bonus.

EDIT: all ships built and first game played. I understand a bit more why it was slammed at the time, but a few minor modifications will make it play a lot better. Its very cold here so spraying is somewhat problematic but the aim is to get everything into undercoat.

EDIT 2: everything assembled and the terrain and smaller ships undercoated black. I need a grey spray for some zenithal work I want to do on the ships, particularly the sails. So much detail, Dreadfleet really does have some great models. As an aside, I also added warpaint to my Orruks (RIP Greenskinz, welcome to Savage World...) in anticipation of the new tome coming out...

Edited by kaaras
  • Like 2

Well it's crunch time for my Legion of Grief... and time isn't on my side! Out of the 4 weekends this month, 2 are almost completely written off with a combination of a beer fest and visitors staying 😲  However, that's not going to stop me having a punt at trying to get this lot finished...

The targets for this month:

• 10 Chainrasp
  • 2 x 10 Skeleton Warriors
  • 2 x 20 Dreadscythe Harridans
  • 21 Bladegheist
  • 2 Dreadblade Harrows
  • Guardian of Souls
  • Tomb Banshee

The intention is to get them "battle ready" (to coin the trendy term) - so painted up with base colours to an acceptable standard to put onto a table.  The extra shading and highlighting will come at a later date (before November)

Stretch goals (which I really need to at least start):

• Reikenor the Grimhailer
  • Mortis Engine
  • Necromancer
  • Soulscream Bridge
  • Like 1

Although I’ll be visiting Italy for a while and probably won’t have too much time left for my hobby, I’ll be trying to finish off my doom bell (endless spell of the skaven) and paint my plague furnace with the new contrast paints.

as a stretch I would try and paint another hell pit abomination.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

This easily becomes my favorite topic :) It is just that little bit of extra motivation I need, and nice to see what others are working on.

Skipping Ogres for now, as I am waiting for hollow bases I used with the two completed models. Waiting fro months on those already.

Small list again, not much time untill end of the month:

- 5 Grimghast reapers from the Soul war box.

Thorns of the Briarqueen warband

- Good part of the Ironblaster

• Like 1

An update on my pledge. Just put the finishing touches on these guys. Pretty happy so far. Bases have been hitty missy though. Put pva glue over the paint for the 2nd 5 but I don't like the effect it caused. They'll look alright in a block of 40. Gonna try stormshield instead on a practice base and see what that does. 

20190717_174352.jpg

20190717_174400.jpg

20190717_174406.jpg

• Like 4

Don't think I'll get much more done this month so will put my final wip down. Managed to get 10 chainrasp finished (above) and this far on Reikenor.

Decided to change the bases moving forward - just couldn't get happy with the cracked earth. Will have to redo the chainrasp bases at some point. 

20190729_210951.jpg

20190729_210959.jpg

20190729_211027.jpg

20190729_211051.jpg

• Like 1