The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, DD-Lord said:

I'll be painfully honest with my thoughts here. I really don't understand why so many of you here believe the Gitmob is coming back; they were squated for the same reason the Greenskins were; they were old models without any new ideas or concepts to expand them beyond just that. And you seem to base your belief about their return entirely on the existence of the Snarlfangs. I seriously don't get it.

51 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

My thoughts are the other way around. They could have stopped with Rippas warband. But why reimagine a whole unit with the Gitmob design if they are just planning this unit? They could have just put a moonclan or hobgrot on top instead.

having an actual model kit (and a full Plastic unit) release for Gitmob gives more creedence to the speculation. It isn’t the same as the speculation for something like Silent people where most people are basing them on fluff and some pictures from Underworlds.

it also because the Snarlfang rider was a pretty surprising and odd release for Gitz. A stand-alone unit that didn’t have much similarity or synergy with the rest of Gitz (bar a few of the universal Gitz buffs). So it does make it interesting to speculate on why GW release them as they did since it rare for them to do such an an isolated unit release.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

What will we see over the next three weeks?

Next week could a Stormcast character. What about Skaven the week after? And what about Monday the 13.? No reveal, perhaps?

Not sure this will impact things much but Monday 6th is a Bank Holiday in the UK, so the reveal may be for something else that's not a big release?

They mentioned that the faction focuses would start rolling out 'next month,' so I'd imagine those will take up a lot of the May/June article slots.  I'd also think that the SCE/skaven faction focuses would be a good time for them to show some of the warscrolls for the newly previewed units.

• Like 1

Third edition AOS seemed to focus on the cleaning up/updating of old kits. I think they want to solidify existing armies before adding new ones. From Broken Realms to Launch of 4th we have seen old resin kits like Belakor and Kroak get updated to Freeguild, Seraphon and now Skaven. I think the purge will continue through 4th. Beasts, Bonsesplittaz, Skaven and Ogres were the last ones standing that featured outdated sculpts or resin. BOC and BS were evicted, Skaven is getting updated now, which leaves Ogres. I would be very surprised if they did not get a revamp at some point in the next three years. Unless they are the being saved for 5th launch. 

Resin Kits Left

Nurgle:(2)  Festus, Epidemius

Tzeentch:(2) Blue Scribe, Fluxmaster 

Slaanesh:(1) Viceleader

Khorne:(2) Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut, Skullmaster,

Ogres:(6) Maneaters, Butcher, Yhetees, Sabers, Slaughtermaster, Firebelly, 

This list doesn't include just old models in general whose quality does not match that of the majority of the game. A trend of GW is to replace a kit if there is a third party that is selling a better/newer version of a kit that they sell.  

• LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

Third edition AOS seemed to focus on the cleaning up/updating of old kits. I think they want to solidify existing armies before adding new ones. From Broken Realms to Launch of 4th we have seen old resin kits like Belakor and Kroak get updated to Freeguild, Seraphon and now Skaven. I think the purge will continue through 4th. Beasts, Bonsesplittaz, Skaven and Ogres were the last ones standing that featured outdated sculpts or resin. BOC and BS were evicted, Skaven is getting updated now, which leaves Ogres. I would be very surprised if they did not get a revamp at some point in the next three years. Unless they are the being saved for 5th launch. 

Resin Kits Left

Khorne:(2) Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut, Skullmaster,

Ogres:(6) Maneaters, Butcher, Yhetees, Sabers, Slaughtermaster, Firebelly, 

This list doesn't include just old models in general whose quality does not match that of the majority of the game. A trend of GW is to replace a kit if there is a third party that is selling a better/newer version of a kit that they sell.  

Epidemius, scribes, fluxmaster and viceleader got a sneaky retire from the web without being in the infamous article, so we have resin kits available just for nurgle, khorne and ogors.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

BOC and BS were evicted, Skaven is getting updated now, which leaves Ogres. I would be very surprised if they did not get a revamp at some point in the next three years. Unless they are the being saved for 5th launch. [...]

Ogres:(6) Maneaters, Butcher, Yhetees, Sabers, Slaughtermaster, Firebelly

The fact the number of Ogres resin/metal kits went to 7 to 6 recently when plastic Gorgers were added via Warcry is a very good sign they'll get a revamp somewhere down the line. And Ogres are quite popular from my experience, it'd be weird no to capitalise on that.

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

The fact the number of Ogres resin/metal kits went to 7 to 6 recently when plastic Gorgers were added via Warcry is a very good sign they'll get a revamp somewhere down the line. And Ogres are quite popular from my experience, I'd be weird no to capitalise on that.

I don't collect Ogres, but think they belong in the mortal realms setting. They have been a bystander for most of AOS and think having them be the powerful opposing force for the 5th edition launch would be cool. They could also show up at the end of edition campaign similar to how FEC got a revamp with model and lore. 

7 hours ago, Ookami said:

Regarding gitmob release, I think it'd be better for them to get their own tome or be moved to KB. They differ a lot from the concept of crazy shroom-eaters and cave dwellers. Expanding their range within GSG tome will make tome bloat. I've always been wondering why they put gitmob in GSG army, unless it is just a temporary harbour. They don't even have synergy with any of GSG heroes or traits.

I'd be fine with their own tome, maybe they'll take spiderfang too, but I think we should expect more warclans-like battletomes in the future, to reduce the number of total battletomes. 

2 hours ago, DD-Lord said:

I'll be painfully honest with my thoughts here. I really don't understand why so many of you here believe the Gitmob is coming back; they were squated for the same reason the Greenskins were; they were old models without any new ideas or concepts to expand them beyond just that. And you seem to base your belief about their return entirely on the existence of the Snarlfangs. I seriously don't get it.

High elves were squatted because of lumineth, in that same vein greenskinz were squatted for kruleboyz. I know the models were also old, etc. but they had to have been planning the kruleboyz range at the time they squatted them (2019), and kruleboyz are our greenskinz reimagining. Narratively there's a bunch of differences, but when you look at the units available it maps into kruleboyz pretty well.
Its possible gitmob was squatted just because they were old and didn't make it into the gitz book, but its also possible they had plans for a refresh there as well. Gitmob continued to show up in narrative stuff (broken realms stories) and received 2 kits after they got squatted.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

They mentioned that the faction focuses would start rolling out 'next month,' so I'd imagine those will take up a lot of the May/June article slots.  I'd also think that the SCE/skaven faction focuses would be a good time for them to show some of the warscrolls for the newly previewed units.

Considering there are 24 factions, 25 if IJ will have its own faction focus, this will take every single day of the next month, as there's 22 working days for them to publish the faction focus. We could even carry on some for early June, as on Mondays we will have miniature reveal rather than factions focus. 

Assuming everything above is right we will have faction focus until the very same week of the preview.

• Like 1

I wanna say the faction focuses were daily for 2.0 as well? But its been a long time, so I don't really remember.  Either way, they're a good way to fill a chunk of time with preview stuff.

Edited by Lucentia

16 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

Resin Kits Left

Looks like most of the ones that you mentioned are being silently removed. The rumours say that they will be updated via 40k.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

I don't collect Ogres, but think they belong in the mortal realms setting. They have been a bystander for most of AOS and think having them be the powerful opposing force for the 5th edition launch would be cool. They could also show up at the end of edition campaign similar to how FEC got a revamp with model and lore. 

Ogors would be an interesting choice to fight against Stormcast. It would break every single preconceived idea of the order that the launching boxes should follow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

DoK will have the Malerion Daemons.

Hey, that is the first Malerion leak not coming from 4chan in the history of AoS?

My first Malerion Daemon should be named Nezzhil too 

• Haha 2

Speaking in what is going to pop up here and there in 4th and the future I was thinking more on Spearhead boxes.

In the preview on different game modules they mentioned that there is no magic phase. Now no magic/ prayers is going to feel a little odd for some boxes that already have Wizards and Priests as the general. Sure they can edit them to make them fit in to Spearhead but it won't feel very true to the models so curious which boxes  will be updated first. For example they mentioned Vanari as a Regiment maybe we will see the Cathallar replaced.

Maybe it will even point to speculation on model updates. Soulblight have a Vampire lord for example but maybe we would have a thematic box of Wight Knight, Graveguard and Black Knights to remove the wizard and also have updated sculpts. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

Speaking in what is going to pop up here and there in 4th and the future I was thinking more on Spearhead boxes.

In the preview on different game modules they mentioned that there is no magic phase. Now no magic/ prayers is going to feel a little odd for some boxes that already have Wizards and Priests as the general. Sure they can edit them to make them fit in to Spearhead but it won't feel very true to the models so curious which boxes  will be updated first. For example they mentioned Vanari as a Regiment maybe we will see the Cathallar replaced.

Maybe it will even point to speculation on model updates. Soulblight have a Vampire lord for example but maybe we would have a thematic box of Wight Knight, Graveguard and Black Knights to remove the wizard and also have updated sculpts. 

Some armies can’t avoid it like LRL where I believe every hero is a spell caster of some sort 

in fact of the 2 armies that have spearhead boxes, the one for FEC has an Abhorrent ghoul king which is currently still a spellcaster.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

Interestingly, the article on magic didn't even mention the word "module". So maybe the rule for using magic and prayers is part of the core rules, and only (say) spell lores are part of the advanced module. You could then solve the situation by giving the wizards and priests in Spearhead boxes a different warscroll with a spell/prayer on it (we have seen Nagash has one so the concept of warscroll spell still exists). This seems more likely than not having a single wizard/priest across all spearhead boxes.

3 minutes ago, novakai said:

Some armies can’t avoid it like LRL where I believe every hero is a spell caster of some sort 

in fact if the 2 armies that have spearhead boxes the one for FEC has a Abbhorant ghoul king which is currently still a spellcaster.

Spearhead boxes will probably rewrite the wizard spell into a buff, maybe on a single die roll, with no unbinds or miscasts/etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Spearhead boxes will probably rewrite the wizard spell into a buff, maybe on a single die roll, with no unbinds or miscasts/etc.

I think 100% this is what will happen. It will either be an additional ability mentioned in the rules for the Spearhead or as something that appears on their warscroll. They've done similar things with Combat Patrol for 40K where they have simplified abilities or changed things.

4 hours ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

I'm more hoping for an overhaul of the spiders aesthetic to match the concept art:

Gloomspite Gits concepts for Age of Sigmar. Sneaky photos taken at the recent Open Day by a mystery grot appreciator.
Gloomspite Gits concepts for Age of Sigmar. Sneaky photos taken at the recent Open Day by a mystery grot appreciator.

That way we get new weird looking cave squig-spiders with moonclan riders and some scuttling grots like the ones from Silver Tower. Definitely felt like a direction they explored and abandoned.

Gitmob can get a tome, take the wolves and get the cool stuff like doom divers and all that back.

I feel like they have done a decent job with lore to keep Spiderfang within the GSG family. Spiderfang just dwell in the dark places on the surface instead of underground, and they both share a proclivity for poison. 

From a gameplay perspective, I also appreciate the different movement options that Spiderfang can offer. Hope we get updates to them instead of squatting, as I still like them even if they are my least favorite GSG models and theme currently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Space marines used to be the cops in Necromunda/hive cities IIRC. They are now the figurehead of both the in-universe Imperium and IRL 40k.

Not really. Space Marines were always the poster boys of the game, they were on the cover of Rogue Trader and had the most pages in the rulebook out of any faction. They were also pretty similar to they are now, being bio-augmented warrior-monks organized into Chapters of a 1000 men. The main difference I'd say was that they were portrayed as a lot cruder in tone; you don't really see Space Marines called "Mad Chainsaw Johnson" with the phrase "KIL KIL KIL" written on their pauldrons anymore. 

They did have Field Police but the Arbites were already established as the cops of the Imperium, I think the Space Marine Field Police were more a reference to things like the IRL USMC Military Police or the WW2 German Feldgendarmerie. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 3:37 AM, Grungnisson said:

Counterpoint: If Amazon's show is any good, it will bring to 40K a wave of healthier, new community.

to keep this relevant: I really hope if the 40k show does decent, it will cement AOS as a heroic, nobledark high fantasy. GW can't be ignoring the sheer amount of money that DND makes as essentially the same type of setting.