The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Charleston said:

Could this be true? GW encouraging conversions?! Almost like...someone at the department noticed that we need more boxes to build customised conversions, which would end in more profit

GW has encouraged conversions for decades.  It's not new. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

Once again, go find some people to play WFB V8 or the ninth age, those are great games! ;)
Honestly, If I had a friend or two to play WFB V8 with, I wouldn't even bother with AOS AT ALL!

This depends of your location.

If you lived in the vicinity of, say, London, you could probably find people who play any game. Hell, you could probably hook up a game of Man 'O' War.

However, if you live in, say, Fort Wayne, Indiana, you will likely be forced into playing what people in the local FLGS are playing. This is far, far more likely to be the currently-supported core games (i.e. 40K and AoS) from the world biggest miniature's game company (i.e. GW).

9 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

This depends of your location.

If you lived in the vicinity of, say, London, you could probably find people who play any game. Hell, you could probably hook up a game of Man 'O' War.

However, if you live in, say, Fort Wayne, Indiana, you will likely be forced into playing what people in the local FLGS are playing. This is far, far more likely to be the currently-supported core games (i.e. 40K and AoS) from the world biggest miniature's game company (i.e. GW).

Sometimes its all about presentation and being enthusastic. Look at how well Warmachine did with its Press Ganger system at getting their game into new regions mostly on the back of only one person locally who would run intro games iwth half decently painted models from two forces in small skirmish games. If you want to grow your local scene and the games on offer sometimes you've got to bite the bullet and work hard at it to promote them to change what is played locally.

It also helps a lot to get into growing the local club in size. More gamers means more players and more chance of increasing the variety of valid games to play. 
Good organisation also helps, if you rely on pickup games without pre-arranging then you're always going t obe at the whim of the most popular. Instead if you run a small website or fb group or such where you pre-arrange games you've far more chance of getting niche games played

So GW its too soon to talk about Cities or Orruks but you did talk about Monsters and Adventurers and low and behold its the first thing from the Nova we see being released ;)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/01/coming-soon-legends-monsters-mercenaries/

Bit of a marketing gaff there! That said I'm very pleased to see these things coming!

First up we've got GOTREK the model for AoS (complete with squished skaven base); along with the written version of Realmslayer, a full new novel (his first for AoS) and a new audio story read by Brian Gotrek Blessed. I believe and earlier article mentioned that the Realmslayer book was going to have some general extra content in it too so it could well be a very shiny week to pick up some great books and stories!

Then there's the new book for Warcry! But that's not all. Iron Golems, Untambed Beasts and the Furies and Raptors are coming in their own boxes next week. Plus they've repacked the chimera with rules for Warcry (repacked version likely won't appear till the pre-orders go up so the one currently for sale is likely still the regular version). It might be prudent to hold off beast purchases too as they might repack one or two others. There's also options for taking things like Terrorgasts and more into your forces! Sounding very exciting and going up against things like dragons in a warband on warband on dragon setting is JUST what I was hoping from the game! :)

Edited by Overread
  • Like 1

Interesting timing... An expansion tp Warcry before the 2 warbands in the book were presented. Not complaining but I really was thinking it was time for Cities and Orruks.

If the repacking is good I may go for a War Hydra if it will ever go out!! The unclear thing is what the other warbands would get, for example Order warbands can tame beasts of any type?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kuroyume said:

This makes no sense. A warcry expansion when not even all the warbands are out? yet anothewr week with no Cities/Warclans? 

On the other hand they are releasing the core set individual models a LOT sooner than normal. This is a very good thing as I'm sure there are people who want to play Iron Golems who don't own the boxed set. Though I would wager that for a good time the ebay options will be a good £10 or so cheaper from broken up kits online. This might mean that GW is expecting the core set to go away at some point soonish (doesn't mean it will just means they might expect it too). Plus it means that those with core sets can expand their warbands faster directly by buying the sets they want. 

NOTE Furies are still for sale on the GW site so if you want the old metal versions I'd get them now as in theory they should vanish once the new plastic kit goes on pre-order next week. 

Overall I'm pleased to see it, surprised though that it wasn't cities or orruks, but still pleased to see it come. Sure they aren't "new"warbands but the ability to take a lot of other models into the game is going to go great for fleshing it out. 

Note I don't think they said tehy were repacking all the models. They highlight the chimera and that might be the only one getting a reboxing for Warcry. There might be one or two others. It's impsossible to say what will and won't be changed. 

19 minutes ago, kuroyume said:

This makes no sense. A warcry expansion when not even all the warbands are out? yet another week with no Cities/Warclans? 

Hell, my group is still working on painting up the starter sets and our first warbands. I'm glad to see Warcry supported buts this was NOT the time for an expansion. People are still learning the base rules for the game, they don't need to be expanded on.

And as people have said, wtf is going on with Cities of Sigmar and Orruk Warclans? They were announced a month ago and since then nothing, even when they purged the order range. GW reps even refused to talk about it at Nova. For the love of god they need to at least put out a community article for people who are wondering what's going to happen to their effected order armies.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I know I ain't really contributing anything new here but good god gw, is it really that hard to release 2 books with no new models... For cities of sigmar I can almost understand if they want to make new boxes for existing units with rounded bases, but warclans? They have no new units, everything already has round bases and based on what we've heard, they don't even have terrain or endless spells, so what gives? I bet next week we're gonna get new stormcast model and space marheen supplement codex announced for pre-order week after that...

Sorry for being so salty, but the original sweet orruk warclans and cos announcements are already starting to leave really sour taste in my mouth. If they weren't ready to release them by this point then maybe they should have announced them at NOVA instead and save a lot of wasted expectations and excitement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, CDM said:

Y'all need to calm down with CoS  and OW  tomes! 

If they hadn't of been previewed you wouldn't even know they were coming.  They're coming soon!! Chill have some patience 

I think the problem is right now most players of the order side of those forces (ergo Cities) have been waiting for the best part of 5 years or so - the entire life of AoS ;) Heck I know Slaves to Darkness players also chomping at the bit for attention from GW and they have likely got to wait until Christmas or next year to get a Tome. 

Honestly the biggest oddity is GW choosing to release a totally new army in this block of releases when they have old armies that have never had a Tome before. Not that I hate them (I'm really looking for ways to free up money/space/hobby for the new Bone army) it's just an odd time to choose to focus on them. 

Warcry getting attention is good and this book sounds like its really going to expand what can be done with the range. Though its more surprising its not being paird with a second wave of cards for existing armies. 

Well here's why we're angry regarding cities and warclans...

(at NOVA): CoS & OW are coming so soon we're not going to discuss them at NOVA

(also at NOVA): Here's a significant part of the reveal article/presentation on the Warcy expansion

(4 days after NOVA): Warcry expansion announced for preorder next week

Edited by trolemon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, trolemon said:

Well here's why we're angry regarding cities and warclans...

(at NOVA): They're (CoS & OW) coming so soon we're not going to discuss them at NOVA

(also at NOVA): Here's a significant part of the reveal article/presentation on the Warcy expansion

(4 days after NOVA): Warcry expansion announced for preorder next week

I'll add that culling a significant portion of the armies set to grouped into COS with no explanation of how they'll function in the new book is part of it.

Also, they are now releasing things from the NOVA preview when none of the stuff previewed a month ago has been released yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The earliest we'll get our hands on cities and warclans now is September 21st which would be 9 weeks from announcement to release.

Space marines and this expansion would be a week and a half from announcement to release.

Sylvaneth was ten and a half weeks from the late bloom article to release, so I guess we don't have it as bad as they did, but at least they released the new warscrolls and teased everything ahead of time, unlike cities an warclans where all we got was the cover of the book.

They're are coming though! Tbh I'm really excited go see how CoS operate.  I thought free cities  in firestorm was a great idea. I dont play those factions (yet) but I will pick up the battletome to see what ideas come to me to put together a cohesive force together. Gets the conversion appetite going!

1 minute ago, CDM said:

They're are coming though!

That could mean in two weeks or two years though. The entire announcement and release cycle has been handled terribly. 

I suspect that Warcry might not be doing well so they played around with the release dates so they could try to salvage it with an expansion.

1 minute ago, kuroyume said:

That could mean in two weeks or two years though. The entire announcement and release cycle has been handled terribly. 

I suspect that Warcry might not be doing well so they played around with the release dates so they could try to salvage it with an expansion.

I'm sure Warcry is doing well - as for two weeks to two years not likely. GW right now tends to only preview things, at most, around 3 months from release save for a few super major releases like Warcry and Sisters of Battle. Since 2.0 launched GW has maintained a pretty faithful and good rate of releases and information exchange with customers. 

The only real hiccup was the removal - very suddenly - of Greenskin kits without word nor warning from GW. Otherwise they've been fairly upfront about all the AoS changes. It's more the pre 2.0 backlog of odd releases and changing focus and major gaffs from the launch of AoS that maintains the bad air. 

That and there's a good and understandable level of frustration from people since many of the Order armies at least haven't even had a Tome through the whole of AoS thus far so there's a god portion really wanting that book in particular.