The Rumour Thread

Does anyone else see/feel a general direction of the AoS studio emphasising 2 types of sub-faction for each faction/race? It's an interesting design pattern I see when looking at the AoS Factions as one. 

Destruction - 

1. Orruks - Kruelboyz, IronJaws.
  2. Goolspite - Gobbos, Troggoths.
  3. Ogor Mawtribes - Fat bois and Skinny bois (Will be interesting to see if/when Ogors are updated if they double down the current fat boi aesthetic or expand the Gorger one)

Chaos - 

1. Mono God - Mortals, Demons
  2. STD - Warriors, Darkoath
  3. Skaven -????

Order - 

1. Humans - Stormcast, Cities
  2. Light Aelves - Teclis, Tyrion
  3. Dark Aelves - Malerion, Morathi
  4. Duardin - FireSlayers, Kharadron 
  5. Seraphon - Coalesced, Starborn
  6. Indoneth - ???? 
  7. Sylvaneth - Kurnothi, Treekin? 

Only Death GA seems to have factions that are more "singular". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Ogor Mawtribes - Fat bois and Skinny bois (Will be interesting to see if/when Ogors are updated if they double down the current fat boi aesthetic or expand the Gorger one)

Ogres have a divide between the kingdom rulers who are your more Fire & Iron ogres

ogor9.jpeg

then you have your more Frost & fur nomadic ogres

ogor2.jpeg

both are fat bois end of the day with gorger are skinny due to that being their cursed

What you think is Cities Ogres who are not part of the Mawtribes they're a subspecies born from their "domestication/symbiosis" with the humans 

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

25 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Does anyone else see/feel a general direction of the AoS studio emphasising 2 types of sub-faction for each faction/race? It's an interesting design pattern I see when looking at the AoS Factions as one. 

Destruction - 

3. Ogor Mawtribes - Fat bois and Skinny bois (Will be interesting to see if/when Ogors are updated if they double down the current fat boi aesthetic or expand the Gorger one)

Chaos - 

3. Skaven -????

Order - 

6. Indoneth - ???? 

Interesting 🧐 🤔 

21 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Destruction - 

Chaos - 

3. Skaven -????

Order - 

6. Indoneth - ???? 

Not really, does not seem like it intentional and some of those are not what I would call subfactions. 

gloomspite is arguably 5 sub types but intentionally they always have been thematic design to have playstyle revolving around Grot, squigs, trolls, spider, and maybe sun grots in the future.

Ironjawz and Kruleboys are not really subfaction but completely seperate armies among themselves. Same with fyreslayers and Kharadron overlords. BCR seem like it being phaseout into just being Mawtribe units and Gorger are just niche units and not a subfaction. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, novakai said:

Not really, does not seem like it intentional and some of those are not what I would call subfactions. 

I'm not really talking about the role of the models in the game. More how a faction/race within the AoS setting is approached from a design perspective. I understand that Gloomspite is split into multiple in-game sub-factions, but when it comes to conceptulisers, designers, sculptors etc there seems to be two distinct aesthetic narratives within the range. Gobbos and Troggoths. (As well as in multiple other ranges

41 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Destruction - 

Chaos - 

3. Skaven -????

Order - 

6. Indoneth - ???? 

IG in a lot of ways it's the divide between modernity and classic fantasy

ex humans- stormcasts: new, authentically aos

cities: 'revamp', designed to appeal to fantasy era sensibilities

likewise with coalesced vs starborn, kbz vs ij

others less so but it's still there to an extent- even with fs, uniquely aos but still distinctly derived from fantasy ideas, as opposed to the far more outlandish kos

12 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I'm not really talking about the role of the models in the game. More how a faction/race within the AoS setting is approached from a design perspective. I understand that Gloomspite is split into multiple in-game sub-factions, but when it comes to conceptulisers, designers, sculptors etc there seems to be two distinct aesthetic narratives within the range. Gobbos and Troggoths. (As well as in multiple other ranges

I don’t think it’s a purpose design choice just that some armies have auxiliary units that are just there as side stuff

like Slaves and GSG have those design aesthetic  but it largely borrow from how the units came from Fantasy. Something like Gorgers in Mawtribe are just auxiliary units.

and some of the armies that you listed don’t have those sides yet like daughters of Khaine, Sylvaneth, or just holdover from old lore like Seraphon, or still seperate armies like fyreslayers and Kharadron overlords so it a bit reaching to come to that conclusions

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

Destruction - 

Chaos - 

3. Skaven -????

Order - 

6. Indoneth - ???? 

Skaven - Tech, Mutation

Vampires - Knights, Monsters

Vampyric Undead - Wet, Dry

Ghosts - Tortured, Torturers

Ossiarch - rule followers, rule benders

Flesh Eater Courts - actually crazy, pretending to be crazy(?)

Not as clear-cut as some of the others, but you're right: look close enough and most armies seem to have two major subthemes... that's interesting, and I wonder what it could mean moving forward.

If we got "Sun Grots - Sky, Ground" you'd see me attempt a backflip

15 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

Skaven - Tech, Mutation

Vampires - Knights, Monsters

Vampyric Undead - Wet, Dry

Ghosts - Tortured, Torturers

Flesh Eater Courts - actually crazy, pretending to be crazy(?)

Not as clear-cut as some of the others, but you're right: look close enough and most armies seem to have two major subthemes... that's interesting, and I wonder what it could mean moving forward.

If we got "Sun Grots - Sky, Ground" you'd see me attempt a backflip

I think we are looking too much into this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Ogres have a divide between the kingdom rulers who are your more Fire & Iron ogres

ogor9.jpeg

then you have your more Frost & fur nomadic ogres

ogor2.jpeg

both are fat bois end of the day with gorger are skinny due to that being their cursed

What you think is Cities Ogres who are not part of the Mawtribes they're a subspecies born from their "domestication/symbiosis" with the humans 

They are not subspecies, they are the next step of Maneaters. They are still unpredictable and suffer from being too skinny to be real Ogors because they are trying to avoid eating everything.

29 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

Haven't been on the thread for the past few days. What on earth is going on? You lads been starved of decent rumour sources for so long, we've moved into Jungian archetypes? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Haven't been on the thread for the past few days. What on earth is going on? You lads been starved of decent rumour sources for so long, we've moved into Jungian archetypes? 

Pretty much, what with the big reveal going down tonight and the even bigger reveal on the horizon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

honestly yes, haha though tbh I still feel like that fits for Ossiarch! Either doing what Nagash wants to the letter or experimenting with beast bones or "a way to keep us from exploding so often." I could see new miniatures that exist to better collect the tithe, and new miniatures as a result of the Ossiarch (now out from under Nagash's thumb) doing some self-experimentation to make new weird stuff

19 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

This!

(Ill end up in the hospital)

that'll be two of us! The Glareface gloomspite guy has my hopes real high for whatever "common grot" winds up being in AoS

16 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

GSG could possibly be split into shroom/poison users and providers. 

Dealers and addicts? lol you're not wrong there. Actually a "goblin looking to make the ultimate high" could be a neat character: like a lil' manic goblin Ku'gath

2 hours ago, Hollow said:

Order - 

6. Indoneth - ???? 

That's so diferent from what I see...

Binary opposition is just a normal design thing and will appear naturally, I think we're definitely reading into it too much. Also for sylvaneth they already have a split between the free spirits(alarielle) and outcasts(drycha and spite revenants)