The Rumour Thread

38 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Is there any lore on if Stormcast have to be killed to be upgraded to Thunderstrike armour? Or can they just take their old armour off and put on new?

I think they can theoretically take off their armor at any time.  They aren't bolted in there or anything.  That said, most stormcast aren't making a return trip to Azyr without being killed.  And that's where the Thunderstrike armor is being made.  So, from a practical perspective, I think most stormcast probably get their new armor after being reforged. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Is there any lore on if Stormcast have to be killed to be upgraded to Thunderstrike armour? Or can they just take their old armour off and put on new?

I believe its stated Ionus Cryptborn hasn't been Reforged since the Realmgate Wars, and his new model had the Thunderstrike keyword added through errata. 

• Thanks 1

Do you remember me complaining about Chamon sharing a picture with Ghyran on the lore article and showing always Vidicarum or the Spiral Crux? Well, seems GW listened to me:

435922916_1868810030217993_4814511496547035407_n.jpg (1440×1440) (cdninstagram.com)

In form, Chamon is perhaps the strangest of all realms. It hangs in the Aetheric Void as a collection of landscapes – ranging from the disc-like crucible of civilisation at its heart to the strange, hanging valleys that dot its outskirts, each held suspended in the void and linked by nothing more than waterfalls of quicksilver and strange, unpredictable portals.

chamon.jpg.da1452733a79b2005e48580872821fb1.jpg

It is... curious... leaves me with more doubts than anything.

• Like 1

I can sort of see where the people wanting a more over-the-top/craz/extravagant/AoS-ified style Clanrat are coming from. A couple of years ago, I would have said the same thing. If Seraphon ever were to get a refresh, I figured they'd be clad in full aztech scale armor and shooting lasers out of every ******. The first or so edition of the game kind of seemed like it was going for a the-crazier-the-better style.

I feel that changed with the release of 3rd edition - and the Soulblight Gravelords preceding it. The lore's still plenty crazy, don't get me wrong, but it does feel like GW has decided to lower the baseline a little. New Saurus still look mostly like the old, except for some fancier shields. Kruleboyz, Deathrattle, Nighthaunt, and now Clanrats all look dirty and grounded. Same with Steelhelms.

I'll admit it took me a while to "come to terms with" - I say, as if knowing the future. Kharadron Overlords was the first army that peaked my interest in the game, an army that made me go "now there's something you wouldn't have seen in WHFB." I figured every army would be like that. Subversive, tropebending, over-the-top.

GW are trying to strike a balance between pushing the envelope and catering to the old. On top of that is of course the very real argument that the basic foot soldier of an army should be a mostly blank canvas that can be expanded on. I remember an old Voxcast where Jes Goodwin talked about scaling back the average Primaris Intercessor, because they needed to "save some" for the lieutenants, captains, and so on.

Arguably, this is even more true with Skaven, a race of dirty ratmen where the chasm between the leaders and the grunts (aka everyone else) is much wider than, say, Stormcast. And even Stormcast have sort of been scaled back, just compare the practically frugal use of Sigmar-y iconography on the new Liberator vs. the old. 

Having said that, I would love to see some kind of 1-in-5 weapon for the Clanrats. Something to push them a bit more toward the extreme. Like a stick of dynamite that blows the bearer up or an unwieldy weapon that is as likely to kill other Skaven as it is enemies.

Edited by Magnusaur
  • Like 9

24 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Do you remember me complaining about Chamon sharing a picture with Ghyran on the lore article and showing always Vidicarum or the Spiral Crux? Well, seems GW listened to me:

435922916_1868810030217993_4814511496547035407_n.jpg (1440×1440) (cdninstagram.com)

chamon.jpg.da1452733a79b2005e48580872821fb1.jpg

It is... curious... leaves me with more doubts than anything.

That's just the Chamon Allgate fortress from the Realmgate Wars. 

Here, take my 2 cents - I don't need it: 💸

I think sometimes people confuse the purpose of "AoSification"... things began to get "AoSified" the same way we got reworks of 40K faction names into silly stuff like Astra Militarum in place of Imperial Guard. These two changes go hand-in-hand.

The 40K renaming and in some cases slight redesigns were to serve two purposes; update items in need while tweaking the visual IP slightly, and to give them names that are easily defended.

The AoS path is somewhat similar, except that the visual IP overhaul needs/needed far more work to be protectable but also be unique, as did the names.

As an example, High Elves aren't unique or defendable in their old iteration. Now they are "Aelves" specifically and you're putting yourself at risk for using that name without approval elsewhere. They also don't look like the previous incarnation anymore. This distinguishes them from generic high fantasy.
When it comes to Skaven, they are already a unique name that is defendable, and share little with pre-established visual IP for anthropomorphised rats.

They aren't in need of any extreme "AoSification", just a tidy up and some things to demonstrate an advancement in narrative. They're one of the few factions that needs a heavy shift in visual identity.

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

As an example, High Elves aren't unique or defendable in their old iteration. Now they are "Aelves" specifically and you're putting yourself at risk for using that name without approval elsewhere.

not that you're wrong here but let's also be clear that WHFB had "Asrai", "Druchii", and "Asur" as copyrightable names. all Warhammer IPs do/are doing this

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

not that you're wrong here but let's also be clear that WHFB had "Asrai", "Druchii", and "Asur" as copyrightable names. all Warhammer IPs do/are doing this

They did yeah. I guess the difference I should have highlighted is the use in product naming, not lore copy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

New ones and old ones for both factions is what I expect. Hobgrots are crossfactions guys.

Could be neat! Historically hobgoblins had calvary, infantry, assassins, and ranged stuff along with a trash tier warmachine

• Like 1

Chiming in on the aosmification of the Clanrats. Skaven, as with Lizardmen and possibly Chaos Dwarfs, are a few of the armies which to me were already High Fantasy in WHFB. I always felt those 3, and I guess Daemons to an extent, kind of already stepped outside of what WHFB was.

Lizardmen and Skaven really feel like they belong to the Realms because their Aesthetic has always been, pretty Eccentric. But that could very well be to just to my mind and eyes. Remember we all perceive Things, including warhammer, Through entirely different experiences and attach our own notions and experiences of film, literature, art etc. Mine has always been that the Steam Punk Ratmen that used magic stones of pure magic to create Electric Weapons and telephones to be quite the oddball in the Warhammer World. Same went for the Inter-dimensional Space Toads/Lizards.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I wonder if the somewhat specific names for the Old World factions have something to do with this; Dwarfen Mountain Holds instead of Dwarfs, Empire of Man instead of Empire, Orc and Goblin Tribes instead of Orcs and Goblins etc. 

2 hours ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

I wonder why we're only seeing sprues/models for the Skaven side getting leaked? No leaker love for Stormcast sprues? 😜

Maybe people outside of aos circles are getting the leaked/early sprues and can't tell apart the new stormcast from the old? Good question though, ig more people excited about skaven, personally I'm probably more looking forward to stormcast stuff since I'm probably gonna end up with that half the box from my skaven player friend lol.

7 minutes ago, Luperci said:

Maybe people outside of aos circles are getting the leaked/early sprues and can't tell apart the new stormcast from the old? 

I think that'd be the case.

To be brutally honest, I'm fairly involved in the AoS circles (well, I'm on this forum at least!) and I'd struggle to spot new Stormcasts from old. 

9 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I think that'd be the case.

To be brutally honest, I'm fairly involved in the AoS circles (well, I'm on this forum at least!) and I'd struggle to spot new Stormcasts from old. 

It's also entirely possible that they cast the skaven models first. It's also entirely possible that these small mistakes just happen to have both been skaven sprues. Packing the wrong sprues into the wrong boxes aren't common. It's actually kind of wild we've gotten 2 for this release.

7 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

The new Warlock Engineer is more AoSified, isn't it? GW is giving a bit of love to both sides of the preferences.

Nope,the crazy warp lightning thingy would have been considered normal in whfb too...

It's stil classic skryre all the way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

I wonder why we're only seeing sprues/models for the Skaven side getting leaked? No leaker love for Stormcast sprues? 😜

Because the leaked Stormcast sprues are already phased out :P

Too soon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Suposed new leaks. 

20240409_080944.jpg

Anonymous 4chan post, I haven't even read it yet but I'm calling bull 

"Kislev scrapped due to Russian invasion of Ukraine" yeah 100% bull 

Harlequins and fyreslayers being squatted is a BOLD claim to make, I guess if it happens then we know this is real because no one else would be crazy enough to think either are happening 

No chaos dwarfs?? This better not be real.  I do believe the decline in store numbers though, all my locals stopped hosting events over covid and they never came back. Also I find increasingly that GW store staff are just annoying rather than helpful

Edited by Luperci
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Suposed new leaks. 

20240409_080944.jpg

Ok first thing that makes me doubt this:

"TOW IS underperformimg because of tomb Kings"

"Tomb Kings are selling bonkers"

Bro, could you clear up your ****** mind?

Anyways, its allways entertaining to read fanfic about the inner ups of a global enterprise. The latest phrase is oddly specific and its by far the BEST part.

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

You rat fans are a crazy bunch! 😄

Can't wait to watch my hopefully beefed up mega foot boss waid into a whole swarm of ya puny fuzzy gits and stomp each and every last one!! 🤘

Which is exactly what we want you to do, so the while we are looking to our horrendously deadly war machines on your mega boss. Clanrats only exist to distract him for a few moments 😄

• Haha 1

>All Resin is being phased out by 2025 due to tax reasons

Wouldn't that require the discontinuing of The Old World, Necromunda and Blood Bowl? If they were really planning that they wouldn't make a new Resin Ungrim Ironfist. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3