The Rumour Thread

34 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Nor do I.

there are a lot of people here that often think that there is an aos style and an old world style.

yet we had so many armies that took their inspired look from the old world and kept that even after a refresh.

personally if somebdoy came to me telling me that these mew slaves to darkness look perfectly made for aos I could say the same about these new models for old world, and funnily enough I’m not the only one who’d be stating that.

Well, there's clear cases where the models have been AoSified. Like LRL or CoS. Imo it is army dependant.

6 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Well, there's clear cases where the models have been AoSified. Like LRL or CoS. Imo it is army dependant.

Yeah it does seem fairly case by case. LRL, CoS, Sylvaneth are big departures. Stuff like SBG and Seraphon are basically updates to the old stuff.

Personally hoping that Chorfs are more the latter on a slight tangent. I am absolutely up for some crazy AoS interpretations of their monsters and such in the army, but I hope the core feel of it is very similar to the old stuff. I love how Total War handled them and fused the old "big hat" Chorfs with the newer stuff from the Tamurkhan supplement.

• Like 1

Weird contents speculation time! 🔔🌩️

Please feel free to correct me on below counts, I just did a quick dive through sprue images and unboxings to refresh myself for due diligence.

AoS Dominion (sprue) contents:

Total Sprue Breakdown:

• 2x Large Frame Sprue
  • 3x Medium Frame Sprue
  • 16x Small Frame Sprue

Large Frame Sprues:

• 1x Large Frame Sprue - Yndrasta, Annihilators (3), Knight-Vexillor
  • 1x Large Frame Sprue - Killaboss on Gnashtoof, Murknob, Man-skewers (3)

Medium Frame Sprues:

• 1x Medium Frame Sprue - Praetors (3)
  • 2x Medium Frame Sprue - Gutrippaz (10)

Large Frame Sprues:

• 6x Small Frame Sprue - Vindictors (10)
  • 6x Small Frame Sprue - Hobgrot Slittaz (20)
  • 1x Small Frame Sprue - Lord Imperitant + Gryphound
  • 1x Small Frame Sprue - Swampcalla + Pot-grot
  • 1x Small Frame Sprue - Killaboss + Stab-grot
  • 1x Small Frame Sprue - Knight Arcanum

We have been told in interviews and what not, that GW boxes are designed with a sprue quota in mind for shipping and pricing reasons.
If we go off the assumption that the sprue budget is similar for AoS4 to this - what do we think the breakdown is going to be?

So far it looks as though the machine-gun-weapons-platform-thingy is on what I am referring to as a "Medium Frame Sprue" above. So that is 1x accounted for in theory.

Let the wild speculation commence!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

Yeah it does seem fairly case by case. LRL, CoS, Sylvaneth are big departures. Stuff like SBG and Seraphon are basically updates to the old stuff.

Personally hoping that Chorfs are more the latter on a slight tangent. I am absolutely up for some crazy AoS interpretations of their monsters and such in the army, but I hope the core feel of it is very similar to the old stuff. I love how Total War handled them and fused the old "big hat" Chorfs with the newer stuff from the Tamurkhan supplement.

36 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I think where we can truly say that those armies are an aosified or newly inspired army, would be the steampunk dwarfs, the fish-things and that’s about it.

stormcast feel like their whole inspiration came from 40k marines selling so well.

And while cos has new humans, those models kinda feel like they have been taken from every fantasy genre that tells about humans existing.

in all in all, the whole landsknecht idea gw had with the imperium in warhammer fantasy is the first time I’ve seen a fantasy setting using something beyond the middle age with some black powder weapon theme.

Which I liked a lot.

as for the new pointy-ears.

they don’t look that much different to those old high elves to me.

they’re clothes are quit similar, same can be said about their playstyle.

where the lrl are definitely new are their helmets and some of their monsters nobody I know of, really plays.

their helmets are also something where I have seen many people using conversion or bits from the old highelve range because those helmets are somewhat ridiculously neckbreaking😂.

and as for sylvaneth,

Halve their range is from the warhammer fantasy era and some of their other modes heavily inspired by those models.

(the bigger treekin with scythes or big swords, seem to have gotten a huge inspiration from durthu himself, but they definitely have some concepts we haven’t seen in the fantasy era, with like all their halve treelike spirit thingies.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Halve their range is from the warhammer fantasy era

Isn't it just the Dryads and the (admittedly 3 build option) Treelords who came from WHFB?

The Branchwraith is still available but no longer has rules. Guess she'll be heading back to the Old World once the Wood Elves show up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I think where we can truly say that those armies are an aosified or newly inspired army, would be the steampunk dwarfs, the fish-things and that’s about it.

stormcast feel like their whole inspiration came from 40k marines selling so well.

And while cos has new humans, those models kinda feel like they have been taken from every fantasy genre that tells about humans existing.

in all in all, the whole landsknecht idea gw had with the imperium in warhammer fantasy is the first time I’ve seen a fantasy setting using something beyond the middle age with some black powder weapon theme.

Which I liked a lot.

where the lrl are definitely new are their helmets and some of their monsters nobody I know of, really plays.

their helmets are also something where I have seen many people using conversion or bits from the old highelve range because those helmets are somewhat ridiculously neckbreaking😂.

and as for sylvaneth,

Halve their range is from the warhammer fantasy era and some of their other modes heavily inspired by those models.

(the bigger treekin with scythes or big swords, seem to have gotten a huge inspiration from durthu himself, but they definitely have some concepts we haven’t seen in the fantasy era, with like all their halve treelike spirit thingies.

Have to disagree with you a bit here, sure the aesthetic may draw some definite inspiration from High Elves of old, I don't think in any fantasy setting I have seen Aelves portrayed as "Warrior-monks" or dedicated to nature to heavily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cdance93 said:

Have to disagree with you a bit here, sure the aesthetic may draw some definite inspiration from High Elves of old, I don't think in any fantasy setting I have seen Aelves portrayed as "Warrior-monks" or dedicated to nature to heavily.

Sorry mate haven’t read the lore of the lrl.

I just looked at the models amd went.

without those weird spirit-thingies, pretty much Highelves with a too big helmet.

their death rate of necks being broken must be incredible high 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

...SNIP!...

My own outlandish guess!

Large Frame Sprues:
1x Large Frame Sprue - Mounted Ruination SCE Lord, Ruination Prosecutors (3)
1x Large Frame Sprue - Mounted Clawlord, Grey Seer, Jezzails (3)

Medium Frame Sprues:
2x Medium Frame Sprue - Ruination Paladins (5)
1x Medium Frame Sprue - Skaven Artillery

Large Frame Sprues:
6x Small Frame Sprue - New Liberators (10)
6x Small Frame Sprue - Clanrats (20)
3x Small Frame Sprue - Rat Ogors (3?)
1x Small Frame Sprue - SCE Lord on Foot / Skaven Engineer

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Which I liked a lot.

and as for sylvaneth,

Also, imo, a big reason for aesthetics changing a bit or models getting more stuff over is the fact that technology advances and they have to "reflect it" somehow.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Also, imo, a big reason for aesthetics changing a bit or models getting more stuff over is the fact that technology advances and they have to "reflect it" somehow.

You mean like how the cities of sigmar went back in time with their technology advances😂.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Skreech Verminking said:

You mean like how the cities of sigmar went back into time😂.

No. Lol. I mean about the little details like more trinkets. More little bags. Trickier ornaments. Heavier broken-neck helmets and so on.

12 minutes ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

My own outlandish guess!

Large Frame Sprues:
1x Large Frame Sprue - Mounted Ruination SCE Lord, Ruination Prosecutors (3)
1x Large Frame Sprue - Mounted Clawlord, Grey Seer, Jezzails (3)

Medium Frame Sprues:
2x Medium Frame Sprue - Ruination Paladins (5)
1x Medium Frame Sprue - Skaven Artillery

Large Frame Sprues:
6x Small Frame Sprue - New Liberators (10)
6x Small Frame Sprue - Clanrats (20)
3x Small Frame Sprue - Rat Ogors (3?)
1x Small Frame Sprue - SCE Lord on Foot / Skaven Engineer

Swap the paladins and the prosecutors. The video had a unit of three paladins and a unit of 5 prosecutors. The big sprues each have room for an extra hero. The dominion stormcast sprue had Yndrasta, 3 annihilators and the banner. The Kruleboyz one had the Gnashtooth, 3 boltbotz and the banner. 

It's worth pointing out that GW has never done the same layout twice. Trying to match the Leviathan contents, I see about one extra medium sprue for each side overall. Will GW go big for 4th edition? I hope they do. 

My outlandish predictions for the box are.

Stormcast 

Ruination lord on crow

3 ruination paladins

5 prosecutors

10 liberators

Lord relictor

Foot ruination hero

Ruination warmachine (this one is a bit wishlisty)

Skaven

Claw lord on wolf rat

Grey seer

Warlock engineer

The big rattling cannon

20 clanrats

3 Jezzails

3 rat ogres (I know there's just one in the video but GW tend to do legal units now and even stormfiends cone in threes)

5 skyre acolytes (again this is the wishlisty option.) 

That's still fewer minis than were in the Dominion box and nowhere near Leviathan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

Let the wild speculation commence!

In terms of sprues for all 3 launch sets we got the large sprues had two characters and a elite unit for both sides except for the Tyranids where is was two big monsters instead. So the same can be expected again. 

Stormcast would be Ruination lord on crow, 3 ruination paladins and another hero. Skaven would be mounted Clawlord and maybe 3x rat ogres and a packmaster?

The other common ground was that there are 4 small sprues with 2 heroes each per side. (Again except Tyranids as they only had one) These would also be the starter set heroes as the large sprues aren't included in those so at least one should represent an overall leader. (Lord Imperitant, Killaboss, SM Captain, Necron Overlord, Tyranid Prime)
For Stormcast maybe we are getting a new Lord Celestant? For Skaven it could be a Grey Seer or just something new entirely.
The second character could be anything but is likely either another big leader but in another role (Swampcaller Shaman, Terminator Librarian) or a lower rank assistant to the overall leader (SM Lieutenant, Necron Royal Warden, Knight Arcanum)

The rest of the small sprues are likely to be the same as Dominion in that they are 10x Liberators and 20x Clanrats.

For the medium sprues one would be the Skaven Ratling gun, one would be the 5x Prosecutors and another would likely be the Jezzails. 

2 hours ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

If we go off the assumption that the sprue budget is similar for AoS4 to this - what do we think the breakdown is going to be?

Iirc they said in the stream that there's also going to be terrain in the box, so people can play spearhead. Which makes me wonder if either there are going to be fewer minis or if the ruination box will be significantly bigger. 

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Which I liked a lot.

and as for sylvaneth,

lrl are high elves for sure but if you actually look at the themes and aesthetics they are a pretty big departure from old world high elves, minis like the stonemage and kitsune wind spirit are very heavily inspired by Japanese folklore, I can see why people don't like the big helmets but personally it's one of the less immersion breaking/unrealistic things present in the aos mini ranges. Also you're forgetting the greco roman Gorgon and harpy aelve and the Warhammer fantasy empire minis were not an original concept lol, most factions in the old world are either lifted from real life history or tolkien (not that that's necessarily a bad thing, some of the old world lore is very neat)

• Like 2

Seen on a French GW store FB page, the announcement of an AoS campaign, from 06/04 to 23/06 (end of June... what a coincidence).

The visual seems to be homemade, but they say they'll have more info on Monday. We can expect official communication from GW and not just from the store.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Iirc they said in the stream that there's also going to be terrain in the box, so people can play spearhead. Which makes me wonder if either there are going to be fewer minis or if the ruination box will be significantly bigger. 

Uhhh. Did they say that? Maybe they were talking about the starter sets? A launch box with scenery would be something new.

Just now, Ejecutor said:

Uhhh. Did they say that? Maybe they were talking about the starter sets? A launch box with scenery would be something new.

Yes. Around 1.04 mins

"It comes in the launch box, everything you need to play spearhead - the board, the models, the cards the terrain"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

15 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

If it is a grey seer, I hope they’ll do a grey seer on something.

like a poxrat as a mount or so.

considering that we have a grey seer on foot that already looks amazing

Whitefang didnt seem sure at 100% about a grey seer on the box, but I asume if there's one that he will have a shenanigan.

Not a mount (that spot is filled by the warlord) but something like a grey seer on drugs, or a grey seer specialized on something. A little twist to keep selling the current kit apart.

19 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

How did I miss that? I just went back and checked and Ben did say that terrain is going included in the launch box. I'm going to revise my guess then. No acolytes, no Stormcast warmachine, only two heroes for each side but three sprues of scenery.  That would give a similar total contents to  Leviathan. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Luperci said:

lrl are high elves for sure but if you actually look at the themes and aesthetics they are a pretty big departure from old world high elves, minis like the stonemage and kitsune wind spirit are very heavily inspired by Japanese folklore, I can see why people don't like the big helmets but personally it's one of the less immersion breaking/unrealistic things present in the aos mini ranges. Also you're forgetting the greco roman Gorgon and harpy aelve and the Warhammer fantasy empire minis were not an original concept lol, most factions in the old world are either lifted from real life history or tolkien (not that that's necessarily a bad thing, some of the old world lore is very neat)

I just had another look through the lrl range.

i don’t see much japanese inspired folklore in those models.

I mean if I’m looking through the range trying to find something that fits to the eastern folklore in total I guess you could say its that one elve riding a cloud, where the riding a cloud part could fit with the monkey king story of the chinese folklore.

but with the exception of that, I’m not seeing much that’s hinting towards a japanese influenced range.

also Monks, what models in their range are the monks?

I don’t really see Them.

The gorgon and harpy esthetic is something the dark elves had in the old fantasy.

Where the lore for the ghorgon is quit similar to that of the greeks in the dark elve lore.

aos basically took it upon itself to increase the range of ghorgon but that’s about it.

and as for the empire being inspired by historical mercs, that where trained by some swiss Reichsläufer, yes I’m aware of that.

its why I mentiomed that warhammer fantasy to my knowledge is the first fantasy set game that ever chose to put the landsknecht  into their own setting, which is quit ingenious as well as something entirely new from the human factions I have so far seen from other fantasy genres. The current range while onteresting in my oppinion kinda went into that whole aspects we know from roleplaying games like dnd, the black eye etc. and basically took the inspiration from other fantasy genres.

combining brettonian themed armies, with black powder weapons

• Confused 2