The Rumour Thread

Just now, Chikout said:

I asked Warhammer community directly on twitter and got a surprisingly instant reply. Basically a no comment, but I'm surprised they didn't just ignore me. Screenshot_20240208-211448.png.ec57195a337483b73503588f86e11b78.png

This is no surprise, due to it's secretism every sector of Games Workshop works very independently from each other. Art, design, executives, game rules, social media management (Warcom)... everyone seems to work on their own way following just some mere guidelines towards X objectives

Warcom workers most probably know nothing more than what the other teams are working on with 4-6 months of advance, most probably. I wouldnt be surprised if they were informed of miniatures reveals on their preview programs with just hours of anticipation.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I asked Warhammer community directly on twitter and got a surprisingly instant reply. Basically a no comment, but I'm surprised they didn't just ignore me. Screenshot_20240208-211448.png.ec57195a337483b73503588f86e11b78.png

Lol, no they didn't ignore you, but it's not that they gave a clear answer 😄

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Hum, good point over there. The link to the message is on my post, so it can be checked the original source.

Um, ok, looking at the original tumblr post, it seems like there's no distinction on whether what is meant for the starter box, and what for the future refresh.

If I were to guess, I think only the avatar would go on the starter box, since a "big centrepiece model" in GW standards is a big mini that costs 100 euros or more (something that skavens still dont have at that scale, btw. And I'd guess the suposed "Avatar of the Great Horned Rat mini" would be either a psycophage-like miniature, or something of the sorts, since there would already be two guys fullfilling the character role and it would be too much to add more.

17 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Maybe it's my confirmation bias, but i find telling that they didn't outright deny it, which i think it's the usual move on these situations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jator said:

Maybe it's my confirmation bias, but i find telling that they didn't outright deny it, which i think it's the usual move on these situations.

They can't deny something they've no idea bout. I doubt the social media team (person?) has much more insight into the GW's plans than we do.

Actually, scratch that. We have reliable 'leakers' here, so probably even less.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I follow some blogs about AoS tournaments and Beasts always seem to pop up there. The BoC playerbase is much bigger than what this thread would make me believe... which is why I'm doubtful they're getting squatted. More like they're getting reinvented, just like CoS did. I used to play old Cities with leftover WFB models, didn't stop me from ditching them and buying the new ones last year. Think it's gonna be the same for Beasts.

7 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

They can't deny something they've no idea bout. I doubt the social media team (person?) has much more insight into the GW's plans than we do.

They totally can reasure costumers that BoC will stay, there's no reason for them not to deny it and let people get discouraged from buying more miniatures...unless doing so will make them look bad when the culling/"reinvention"  happens, specially if it's in short term.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Actually, scratch that. We have reliable 'leakers' here, so probably even less.

It is the standard response they give to any question on Twitter

3 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I'm not expecting it until after FEC release. Just checked and nothing ships until 17th Feb, so I'd expect it after that.

Sometimes FAQ drops same day - more common when the release had a special box come out earlier. I’d expect their FAQ same day at the latest and as part of the battlescroll drop.

22 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I follow some blogs about AoS tournaments and Beasts always seem to pop up there. The BoC playerbase is much bigger than what this thread would make me believe... which is why I'm doubtful they're getting squatted. More like they're getting reinvented, just like CoS did. I used to play old Cities with leftover WFB models, didn't stop me from ditching them and buying the new ones last year. Think it's gonna be the same for Beasts.

They appear from time to time, but they’re pretty low representation in the tournament meta. People track that. Makes sense that a range without new models and that isn’t overpowered isn’t the most popular, so one of those chicken/egg things.

4 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Sometimes FAQ drops same day - more common when the release had a special box come out earlier. I’d expect their FAQ same day at the latest and as part of the battlescroll drop.

They appear from time to time, but they’re pretty low representation in the tournament meta. People track that. Makes sense that a range without new models and that isn’t overpowered isn’t the most popular, so one of those chicken/egg things.

Even when BoC was the most broken army in the game the representation was just average.

18 minutes ago, Jator said:

They totally can reasure costumers that BoC will stay, there's no reason for them not to deny it and let people get discouraged from buying more miniatures...unless doing so will make them look bad when the culling/"reinvention"  happens, specially if it's in short term.

Let me try to make my point a bit clearer.

The social media team or person at GW has no info on any plans. They're just there to post on FB/Twitter whatever they're given, and they are in no position whatsoever to answer any questions. 99% of their answers are a variation of 'we'll have to wait and see/keep an eye out for WarCom articles'.

Now, whether the GW should address the concerns or just simply communicate their plans regarding, in this case, BoC, that is a completely different matter. And yes, personally, I think they should. Even if they were going to be removed, I still think people would happily buy out the models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

According to the woehammer stats they are currently the 17th most played faction out of 27, more popular than Lumineth, ironjawz, Tzeentch, Nighthaunt and Skaven. 

Only six factions never saw their monthly play rate drop below 2% in 2023. BoC were one of them. image-39.png.166a61a1b504e9f083fd567959b6052b.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

According to the woehammer stats they are currently the 17th most played faction out of 27, more popular than Lumineth, ironjawz, Tzeentch, Nighthaunt and Skaven. 

Only six factions never saw their monthly play rate drop below 2% in 2023. BoC were one of them. image-39.png.166a61a1b504e9f083fd567959b6052b.png

Could be that this big participation is just tied to the fact that WHFB players can reuse their armies almost completely?

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

So far we know the content of the 4th ed box would be:

SCE:
- Presumably renewed Liberators.

Skavens:
- Hinted by Whitefang:
Clawlord and Grey Seers

- Hinted by Whitefang 2 and Laughed by Whitefang:
Big Rat Centerpiece 

For the previous  Whitefang's hints we should have  the entire refresh of SCE warrior chamber in thunderstrike armour . 

7 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Only six factions never saw their monthly play rate drop below 2% in 2023. BoC were one of them. 

You can go the other way around, only 5 factions never saw their playrate go past 4%, and BoC are one of them. (And two of them are fec and cos, that now has more than that and another one is bonesplitterz xd)

Edited by Ragest

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Could be that this big participation is just tied to the fact that WHFB players can reuse their armies almost completely?

Maybe, but it's been a long time since WHFB and a lot of the most popular units have been newer kits like the Tzaangor. This data doesn't overlap with the Old World at all. 

Just now, Ejecutor said:

A lot of factors go into these kinds of stats, it's never just one thing. Since these are tournament stats, the most important factor is probably competitive viability.

This chart doesn't show that BoC are the 17th most popular faction overall, but it can support the point that they have a pretty dedicated fan base that consistently brings them to tournaments even when the meta changes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ragest said:

You can go the other way around, only 5 factions never saw their playrate go past 4%, and BoC are one of them.

Which means they have a stable loyal player base that loves them regardless of their power in the game. They also have never been the least popular faction. I'm not trying to say they're mega popular,  but they certainly aren't the first faction you would expect GW to cut.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chikout said:

So middle of the pack in a year where they got a new, interesting book at the beginning of the year. A range refresh would’ve had them higher. I think that’s about right? I don’t think they’re popular or unpopular, I just think they’ve never really been given a chance in AoS.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Which means they have a stable loyal player base that loves them regardless of their power in the game

Yes, but no more players arrive to the faction. You can see how the playrate spikes when a new tome goes around, independent on the power of the book.  BoC just got less than 1% spike, so people are not buying them, just niche loyal players.

Edited by Ragest

1 hour ago, Garrac said:

This is no surprise, due to it's secretism every sector of Games Workshop works very independently from each other. Art, design, executives, game rules, social media management (Warcom)... everyone seems to work on their own way following just some mere guidelines towards X objectives

Warcom workers most probably know nothing more than what the other teams are working on with 4-6 months of advance, most probably. I wouldnt be surprised if they were informed of miniatures reveals on their preview programs with just hours of anticipation.

Asking something there falls under futile. They never give you any worthwhile answer.