The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, flying_dutchman said:

Tbf that's only because 10th was a hard restart

As was 9th. I might be completely wrong about this but I suspect GW has pivoted to "New Edition = Reset" for 40k+AoS. It just makes so much sense from a financial perspective. Everyone goes out to buy new indexes, cards, etc and it allows for the edition to be approached holistically from the outset. It's a massive cash injection, that I think is too hard to pass up. Again, I may be wrong but I think we will see a full AoS 4 reset (I also think this is why they have released all the Battletombs with several months to spare to minimise backlash from books only being viable for that edition for a couple of months.)

• Sad 1

I always hope for Malerion, but I'm also a glutton for disappointment.

I expect tonight to be final reveals for Dawnbringers 4 and 5, Warcry Lumineth vs Nighthaunt (somehow tied into Dawnbringers as well).

Mandrakes and Root seem like a safe bet.

Adepticon is when the real reveals begin, I should think.

Edited by ERHanmer
Apparently "glutton for punishment" is better than a one-word variant.

16 minutes ago, ERHanmer said:

I always hope for Malerion, but I'm also a glutton for disappointment.

I expect tonight to be final reveals for Dawnbringers 4 and 5, Warcry Lumineth vs Nighthaunt (somehow tied into Dawnbringers as well).

Mandrakes and Root seem like a safe bet.

Adepticon is when the real reveals begin, I should think.

My mommy told me I could become anything, so I became a disappointment!

Don‘t be part of the problem, ERHammer, be the entire problem! 

Sorry, I‘m just a glutton for demotivation and thought I could add to it. 🥳👌

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hollow said:

As was 9th. I might be completely wrong about this but I suspect GW has pivoted to "New Edition = Reset" for 40k+AoS. It just makes so much sense from a financial perspective. Everyone goes out to buy new indexes, cards, etc and it allows for the edition to be approached holistically from the outset. It's a massive cash injection, that I think is too hard to pass up. Again, I may be wrong but I think we will see a full AoS 4 reset (I also think this is why they have released all the Battletombs with several months to spare to minimise backlash from books only being viable for that edition for a couple of months.)

On 9th edition you could still use 8th Ed books, it wasn’t a hard reset, it’s why Imp guard were hurt for so long, they were sat on a previous Ed book, which was lacking in strength for almost 3 years whilst every other army got stronger. Finally got their day and were outdated in 10th, 9th wasn’t the same as the hard reset that 10th was

2 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

On 9th edition you could still use 8th Ed books, it wasn’t a hard reset,

It was pretty hard. With the Index books, which I think lead them to the super hard 10th edition (and what I think we will see going forward) Let's call it a semi-reset then. 😉

Just now, Hollow said:

It was pretty hard. With the Index books, which I think lead them to the super hard 10th edition (and what I think we will see going forward) Let's call it a semi-reset then. 😉

There was no indexes in 9th, 7th to 8th had indexes, 8th to 9th was akin to 2nd to 3rd AOS, no indexes continue with what you have. It seems to be every other edition for 40K has a index style reset being 8th and now 10th

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deakz28 said:

There was no indexes in 9th, 7th to 8th had indexes, 8th to 9th was akin to 2nd to 3rd AOS, no indexes continue with what you have. It seems to be every other edition for 40K has a index style reset being 8th and now 10th

Yikes... you are correct. My memory is failing me. I was thinking of 7th to 8th. 

1 minute ago, Hollow said:

Yikes... you are correct. My memory is failing me. I was thinking of 7th to 8th. 

It’s all good with the speed of editions it’s easy to forget which is which ahahah

but I do think by that logic a hard reset is overdue for AOS since 40K is every second edition

Edited by Deakz28
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hollow said:

That's one heck of a depressing thought. I don't think I would buy a single tome ever again if they go that hard into monetising their players. I probably would end up selling off everything I own and boycott GW. I understand that "GW is a business" but that's miles past the line of what I'd find acceptable. 

Then again, much like the video gaming industry their preferred target audience is, let's put it politely, very 'resilient' when it comes to be offered worse and worse deals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

That's one heck of a depressing thought. I don't think I would buy a single tome ever again if they go that hard into monetising their players. I probably would end up selling off everything I own and boycott GW. I understand that "GW is a business" but that's miles past the line of what I'd find acceptable. 

Really? As someone who still playes multiple different editions of 40k and Fantasy I quite like the idea of an edition being a "complete" thing before moving onto the next. I was never really a fan of having some factions not getting an edition update. I don't see it being that problematic if the PDF's are avalible at the start of the edition for free like in 40k 10th. 

• Like 1

They generally only do the index thing when moving to a ruleset that doesn't support the old unit stats, 40k 7th into 8th where they removed armour values (and universal special rules, maybe?), WHFB 8th into AoS where they changed basically everything, etc.  I can't speak for the 40k 9th into 10th indexing cos I've not played 40k in a long time, but historically it's not something they've done without reasonable cause.

For what it's worth I think the AoS core rules are strong enough that they don't need such a huge change as to invalidate how warscrolls work. (Unless maybe they do something like remove melee weapon ranges, perhaps?)

3 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Really? As someone who still playes multiple different editions of 40k and Fantasy I quite like the idea of an edition being a "complete" thing before moving onto the next. I was never really a fan of having some factions not getting an edition update. I don't see it being that problematic if the PDF's are avalible at the start of the edition for free like in 40k 10th. 

That sounded a lot less cynical than you first framed it, i.e. massive cash injection, which lead me down the path of assuming not so free rules but rather to wring as much as possible out of each new reset/edition.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

I think indexes are a nice way to start an ed with all the factions being (supposedly) around the same power level. Also, it's free!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

That sounded a lot less cynical than you first framed it, i.e. massive cash injection, which lead me down the path of assuming not so free rules but rather to wring as much as possible out of each new reset/edition.

It's ok for a company to make money yah know! I want GW to have massive cash injections. I want the company to be successful. I want people, to want, to spend money with GW. I think it is a great company. 

28 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

monetising their players

Two words: General‘s Handbook

@Hollow you what, why? They underpay their staff, try to milk every last cent out of customers in order to pay nice dividends/bonuses to their shareholders/executives. GW‘s artists are ace, concerning the company however it is nothing to be proud of. I would change my mind if the staff was paid well and there‘d be less toxicity within the studios (based on reports of former staff)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1