The Rumour Thread

6 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

That's why GW revives The Old World 😉 To satisfy nostalgia AoS can't.

Mixed lists probably would be to much of a burden in terms of balance but friend can turn a blind eye. My gaming group usually plays with a "no double turn" house rule so maybe yours can allow more mixing 😉

I'm blessed that I play with people that are really easy-going - everything goes as long as it's fun. We try to make strong lists from time to time but usually we don't even care who wins. Regarding the double-turn: I'd love for AoS to become a "I go, you go" kind of game. Not a big fan of double turns either but I'm kinda indifferent to it (even if I don't like it).

Perhaps StD got so much because they knew TOW was coming. Those minis really shine there as well. But in general, I'm all for everyone getting everything, I'm mostly complaining about the timing of things. I have no problem with let's say SC or StD having waaay more options than others but everyone should arrive at good level before some get pushed even further ahead. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

It might be a smart move to make some old Warcry Warbands mercenaries, since they don’t necessarily look like chaos anyways, they’re just tribal people of the realms.

True but it would've been even smarter to make other stuff IMO from the start. I don't hate them at all but they could've easily introduced cool new units for lots of forces that way. 

I think people are overlooking WarCry as it's own system. (Which is a lot of fun) Yes STD has a lot of options that can be used from WarCry but Warcry is it's own thing, not just a means to add to AoS armies. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Interesting. This would give some credit to what Whitefang the second have said.

What did they say?

Dwarfs are the next TOW army and will be revealed Saturday. This was pretty easy to guess with their dice getting leaked already, so probably not news.

Also, I’m still not expecting any new models with Dawnbringers 4 that we haven’t seen yet. Happy to be wrong, but that’s what I’ve heard. @Nezzhilseems to have heard differently FWIW and I already got the date of Dawnbringers 4 wrong so I’m no Whitefang the 1st or the 2nd lol. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I think people are overlooking WarCry as it's own system. (Which is a lot of fun) Yes STD has a lot of options that can be used from WarCry but Warcry is it's own thing, not just a means to add to AoS armies. 

I really like Warcry, but the initial focus on Chaos warbands was holding the game back. The recent approach with the Hunters of Huanchi serving double duty (not just random addition to Seraphon, but an integral element of the army book) is much, much better.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

What did they say?

Dwarfs are the next TOW army and will be revealed Saturday. This was pretty easy to guess with their dice getting leaked already, so probably not news.

Also, I’m still not expecting any new models with Dawnbringers 4 that we haven’t seen yet. Happy to be wrong, but that’s what I’ve heard. @Nezzhilseems to have heard differently FWIW and I already got the date of Dawnbringers 4 wrong so I’m no Whitefang the 1st or the 2nd lol. 

He said that we would see new TOW stuff before the end of the month.

4 minutes ago, Flippy said:

I really like Warcry, but the initial focus on Chaos warbands was holding the game back. The recent approach with the Hunters of Huanchi serving double duty (not just random addition to Seraphon, but an integral element of the army book) is much, much better.

This is interesting. I agree with you, but I saw comments recently stating that it was better when it was just focused on chaos warbands.

1 minute ago, Flippy said:

I agree, and it is great to see the system, setting and squads evolve over time. I do think that the success of the system was partially due to it being so Chaos heavy at the beginning (As previously mentioned, Chaos is a very popular faction) So in some ways, the heavy Chaos leaning in the beginning has allowed for the system to expand into giving other factions a look in. 

I do hope that the next WarCry setting is a settlement of some kind. The Gnarlwood is ok but lacked personality IMO. 

28 minutes ago, MitGas said:

But in general, I'm all for everyone getting everything, I'm mostly complaining about the timing of things. I have no problem with let's say SC or StD having waaay more options than others but everyone should arrive at good level before some get pushed even further ahead. 

Yeah, exactly. 

The funny thing is I started AoS with Stormcasts (and Blades of Khorne). I was pretty damn proud of myslef when I painted the whole box and it took me some effort. Like a week later GW announced first expansion to Stormcasts. I already felt overwhelmed. Before I bought this extra units Stormcasts received their first dragon and a book supplement. To be honest I took into consideration resigning from the hobby. I couldn't keep up with this pace. And later those ranger/hunter Stormcast arrived. At that time I was already disliking SC. After Dominion I became Stormcast hater (little joking here).

It just felt sooo unfair and unwise to pump these golden boys even more when Fyreslayers really had like 3 infantry units two of each were dual boxes. Several other armies in desperate need of new models. And then we get another wave of SC. Seriously?

I am aware of this "they are easy to paint" argument why they are in every starter set but still think it's just bad. It would be perfectly ok for SCE not to get a single model in the whole 4th edition. Other armies need these model much, much more.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Flippy said:

I think that Warcry will going forward be a place for GW to update/bring in new models for factions without having to dedicate an entire battle-tome release. Hunters of Huanchi, Gorgers, and Wildecorps are complete units that can be used willy-nilly in both Warcry and mainline AoS, which is a luxury that not all warbands have unless you count a 50-point unit that dies to a breeze and hits like a wet noodle.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I'm blessed that I play with people that are really easy-going - everything goes as long as it's fun. We try to make strong lists from time to time but usually we don't even care who wins. Regarding the double-turn: I'd love for AoS to become a "I go, you go" kind of game. Not a big fan of double turns either but I'm kinda indifferent to it (even if I don't like it).

Perhaps StD got so much because they knew TOW was coming. Those minis really shine there as well. But in general, I'm all for everyone getting everything, I'm mostly complaining about the timing of things. I have no problem with let's say SC or StD having waaay more options than others but everyone should arrive at good level before some get pushed even further ahead. 

A Bolt action approach would be simply awesome. I think they put a dice representing each unit in a bag, and each player gets one out every time. That's the unit they move. This would be ace and would add a lovely strategy layer.

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

35 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Yeah, exactly. 

The funny thing is I started AoS with Stormcasts (and Blades of Khorne). I was pretty damn proud of myslef when I painted the whole box and it took me some effort. Like a week later GW announced first expansion to Stormcasts. I already felt overwhelmed. Before I bought this extra units Stormcasts received their first dragon and a book supplement. To be honest I took into consideration resigning from the hobby. I couldn't keep up with this pace. And later those ranger/hunter Stormcast arrived. At that time I was already disliking SC. After Dominion I became Stormcast hater (little joking here).

It just felt sooo unfair and unwise to pump these golden boys even more when Fyreslayers really had like 3 infantry units two of each were dual boxes. Several other armies in desperate need of new models. And then we get another wave of SC. Seriously?

I am aware of this "they are easy to paint" argument why they are in every starter set but still think it's just bad. It would be perfectly ok for SCE not to get a single model in the whole 4th edition. Other armies need these model much, much more.

Agree with this feeling... I got into Stormcast with the Soul Wars box and was pretty keen to build on the sacrosanct theme. Love a bit of the magic using tank / paladin theme. Then Dominion came and whilst I do genuinely prefer the slimcast models, it left me feeling like I couldn't really be bothered with them. I have a massive pile of unassembled Stormcast I've acquired through things like Stormbringer magazine and I just can't bring myself to even open them. I was recently thinking I might well pass on the 4e launch box which would be the first time I've done so on a launch box. 

I really want to get into my Fyreslayers more. Just need a few more options for visual variety...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Yeah, exactly. 

I think that's why I'm hopeful for 4th ed, I have Stormcast because they're easy to collect being in starter sets and magazines etc, but I'm definitely ready for an edition that focuses on updating existing kits to better proportions and poses and focuses actual new units on other factions. If it's all new stuff for Stormcast then I'll probably just add what's in the launch box to my existing collection and largely ignore the faction unless something grabs me.

49 minutes ago, Captaniser said:

I think that Warcry will going forward be a place for GW to update/bring in new models for factions without having to dedicate an entire battle-tome release. Hunters of Huanchi, Gorgers, and Wildecorps are complete units that can be used willy-nilly in both Warcry and mainline AoS, which is a luxury that not all warbands have unless you count a 50-point unit that dies to a breeze and hits like a wet noodle.

From my much more casual approach I really like Warcry being a mixed bag of units. Stuff like Hunters of Huanchi and Gorgers are great updates, but then things like Karnak's Claws, Rotmire Creed and Askurgan Trueblades actually add more flavour to factions that I didn't anticipate and work really well.

Like I expected Nurgle to get some light infantry eventually but that they'd be something like 40ks Poxwalkers. Then Rotmire Creed came along and really gave a new dimension to the faction.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Freypal said:

Agree with this feeling.

I was never in danger of starting Stormcast, being an all undead only undead player myself, but the constant stream of new stormcast models and rules and redundant infantry beatstick heroes is just exhausting.  Not even in an 'I wish my faction got some of that attention' sort of way, just in a 'how could anybody keep up with this?' kind of way.  If my faction got an entire separate faction's worth of new units each edition - sometimes even multiple times per edition, with everything I already owned or invested in emotionally getting shoved into the afterthought bin like yesterday's news, I'd lose interest in the hobby altogether.

part of the "Stormcast problem" IMHO is that GW clearly did not... finalize their design until Thunderstrike. As put-together as all of the old stuff looks, the new Thunderstrike fit a LOT better into the overall fantasy aesthetic.

what I'm hoping/kind of expecting is Stormcast releases to peter out once the old stuff is converted? And after the initial edition launch, Stormcast really don't get anything in the mainline game (since 2e).

So 4e being a wave of refreshed models + WHU and Warcry, then nothing until 5e

5e refreshes more oldies, etc.

GW could use Warcry to introduce technically-new units that do double duty like the Huanchi Hunters.

edit: i'm sure some random hero models will come out too, but overall I'm not expecting SCE releases past 4e's launch year.

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Luperci said:

I'd be hoping for something like this but green/blue/purple, I want an absolutely massive hydra model GW

Shivan-Devastator-Dominaria-United-MtG-Art.jpg.a54920b26deea348ede6e64ca965a5f8.jpg

ID LOVE THIS. Give me a Hydra or Hydracian or whichever name GW chooses to rival Krondys in size!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, DD-Lord said:

But aren't the Stormhosts supposed to be the Stromcast equivalent to Chapters?

Yea but they don't have battletomes supplements for the big stormhost like they do for the big (player wise) chapters.  This gives specific chapters it's own rules, characters and units. In fact the dark angel one was just announced for preorder

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

A Bolt action approach would be simply awesome. I think they put a dice representing each unit in a bag, and each player gets one out every time. That's the unit they move. This would be ace and would add a lovely strategy layer.

That's terrible.  Random double turns is better than I can only use random unit

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flying_dutchman said:

That's terrible.  Random double turns is better than I can only use random unit

Is it? I find it interesting. You can never predict what will happen, you have to fully adapt on the go. A real tactician deal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1