The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Were does Skaeth and friends fit into AoS lore and narrative?

1) They exist

2) Alarielle sent them to Beastgrave to stop the curse that's leaked out of Shadespire from spreading across the realms and, secretly, Skaeth hoped he and his crew could kill the mountain itself: an act they feel would remove an evil from Ghur.

That is literally it as far as I know. Are all kurnothi fawns? I have no idea: the aelf from Cursed City was supposed to be a "kurnothi exile" and she has antlers and aelf feet instead of hooves. Leaves room for all sorts of neat ideas; I'm hoping they lean into the fawn-aelf vibe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

With some of the interviews around the new Flesh-eater release, it was confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that (internally) the team uses some of these smaller warbands to hammer out ideas/sculpts for factions they're looking to hit.

I figured that would be the case. It will be interesting to see if there's few Khorne models on the way. Between Dromm from Underworld and the Realmgore Ritualist, they seem to be exploring a tribal/meso-american aesthetic for that army which could be pretty cool.

• LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, mawhis117 said:

I figured that would be the case. It will be interesting to see if there's few Khorne models on the way. Between Dromm from Underworld and the Realmgore Ritualist, they seem to be exploring a tribal/meso-american aesthetic for that army which could be pretty cool.

I agree! Khorne, to me, has always sort of been in a weird place with his "I hate magic" slant: guy has so many magitech demon engines and I remember the hoops the narrative had to jump through to have "Khorne demon summoners" in the 40k Siege of Vraks story. I felt like that weirdness was only exacerbated in AoS by Khorne's "not magic" blood rituals and Endless Not-Spells

Leaning into mesoamerican blood ritual aesthetics is an extremely neat angle to take them! I remember that same warband had a smith with an anvil chained to his back that stuck out to me as particularly cool: I think it was his not-bodybuilder physique 

Edited by Pizzaprez
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

I agree! Khorne, to me, has always sort of been in a weird place with his "I hate magic" slant: guy has so many magitech demon engines and I remember the hoops the narrative had to jump through to have "Khorne demon summoners" in the 40k Siege of Vraks story. I felt like that weirdness was only exacerbated in AoS by Khorne's "not magic" blood rituals and Endless Not-Spells

Leaning into mesoamerican blood ritual aesthetics is an extremely neat angle to take them! I remember that same warband had a smith with an anvil chained to his back that stuck out to me as particularly cool: I think it was his not-bodybuilder physique 

Khorne‘s just a colossal hypocrite, everyone knows it, yet nobody tells him cause he‘s got the temper of a 4-year old that didn‘t have his nap yet - life in the realm of Chaos is hard, guys. 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

I don't know the story that well, but a good narrative for summoning khorne daemons is a "botched" summoning. Some sorcerer or whatever was trying to summon daemons using magic, khorne notices and answers the call with the free bonus of getting to take out a caster in the process.
As mentioned above though khorne is hypocritical by necessity. He hates magic, but is basically a creature of pure magic.

43 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

1) They exist

2) Alarielle sent them to Beastgrave to stop the curse that's leaked out of Shadespire from spreading across the realms and, secretly, Skaeth hoped he and his crew could kill the mountain itself: an act they feel would remove an evil from Ghur.

That is literally it as far as I know. Are all kurnothi fawns? I have no idea: the aelf from Cursed City was supposed to be a "kurnothi exile" and she has antlers and aelf feet instead of hooves. Leaves room for all sorts of neat ideas; I'm hoping they lean into the fawn-aelf vibe

Kurnothi is anyone who worships Kurnoth. That covers duardins, humans, everything... Those with antlers and stuff like that are the ones gifted by Kurnoth. A bit of what happens in the short story where the faun gets a wooden hand.

Imo we could have fauns and centaurs that are not kurnothi nor gifted by Kurnoth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mawhis117 said:

Are we expecting more Kurnothi at some point? 

There were rumours going around a while ago, but I wasn't sure whether that was just about Belthanos

It’s extremely bizarre they have such a prominent place in 2 seperate short stories and then are overtly present as part of Belthanos’ forces in dawnbringers 4, described as if they’re just another of the tabletop units they’re fighting alongside, and yet still haven’t had models yet.

I feel like they have to be coming soon, I don’t think there’s any other explanation given they’re the only thing in the entire dawnbringer series to exist prominently but not have something you can buy to represent them. Unlike every other RoR or AoR box that’s been released alongside dawnbringers, Belthanos’ one has him with kurnoth hunters (who do show up in the book) and bug riders (who don’t), with the latter not even really making sense to be part of his AoR since they don’t have a kurnoth theme to them at all

Edited by Togetak

38 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Kurnothi is anyone who worships Kurnoth. That covers duardins, humans, everything... Those with antlers and stuff like that are the ones gifted by Kurnoth. A bit of what happens in the short story where the faun gets a wooden hand.

Imo we could have fauns and centaurs that are not kurnothi nor gifted by Kurnoth.

If the minis are as good as Skaeth and Coolathis, then it doesn't even matter. 😇 Would Sylvaneth fans like more classical aelfs (I know nobody well enough that plays them, so dunno what the consensus is)? Maybe they only want vegetables and trees but I think it would be hella cool to introduce more variety into their range, so I hope their next update will be just that. I'm pretty sure Umbraneth and the River temple will be quite decent minis too. I'm most worried about Idoneth, they need more stuff most as far as I can tell.

56 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

That's extremely exciting!! I'd love to see some Kurnothi Duardin ngl, I love how many narrative paths that could lead to!

• LOVE IT! 1

21 minutes ago, MitGas said:

If the minis are as good as Skaeth and Coolathis, then it doesn't even matter. 😇 Would Sylvaneth fans like more classical aelfs (I know nobody well enough that plays them, so dunno what the consensus is)? Maybe they only want vegetables and trees but I think it would be hella cool to introduce more variety into their range, so I hope their next update will be just that. I'm pretty sure Umbraneth and the River temple will be quite decent minis too. I'm most worried about Idoneth, they need more stuff most as far as I can tell.

Can only speak for myself but I'm really not overly fussed about adding Kurnothi and more classic Aelfs into Sylvaenth. I'm here for trees, bugs and the occasional weird spirit creature, in that order. There definitely are people out there who would welcome more aelfs in the range though.

That said, I think the Sylvaenth range is in a really good place right now and when compared to some of the other armies really isn't desperately in need of expansion. I really wouldn't be upset if our 4e book turned up and we only got a single, small foot hero (to replace the finecast Branchwraith which they are inexplicably still selling). I'm not going to turn my nose up at new models, more stuff is better afterall, but Sylvaneth are a good army with a solid range to pick from. Others need the attention more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Pizzaprez said:

I'm hoping they lean into the fawn-aelf vibe

A lot of the recent lore is specifically leaning into fauns so I'm confident on that front. The Belthanos dawnbringer story mentions both Fauns and Centaurs, and there's a recent White Dwarf  short story about the Wild Hunt that seems to indicate that even humans who accept the call of the Wild Hunt can be turned into Fauns.

1 minute ago, madmac said:

A lot of the recent lore is specifically leaning into fauns so I'm confident on that front. The Belthanos dawnbringer story mentions both Fauns and Centaurs, and there's a recent White Dwarf  short story about the Wild Hunt that seems to indicate that even humans who accept the call of the Wild Hunt can be turned into Fauns.

Despite Phil Kelly having a whole little white dwarf section last year explaining what kurnothi where and trying to thread the needle between all their depictions across the weird different styles shown, explicitly saying the satyr and centaur were just seperate aelf-like species that also worship kurnoth, it does seem like they’ve gone back on that and that it’s a kurnoth blessing to grow hooves and hair like that. The new ulfenkarn book for soulbound goes into some detail about that stuff too, nothing super new besides going over their connection to the sylvaneth and the variance in their cultures (going into some detail about Qualthis’ in particular, since most kurnothi characters in the city would be from that one, given they have specific beef with Radukar).

The dawnbringers short story on warcom had the centaur archer lady talk as if hearing belthanos’ horn made her into a centaur when she joined the hunt, and that white dwarf story has humans hearing the call of his hunt sprouting wooden antlers, with dawnbringers showing that wounds received during the hunt are grown over and replaced with plant material like wooden prosthetics or plating over scars, moss healing shut cuts etc

• Like 3

I am a simple man. I just want more Qulathis style Kurnothi. Maybe make them a multipart kit like Aeldari where u can make regular and Ynnari units, but like faun and less faun versions.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I am a simple man. I just want more Qulathis style Kurnothi. Maybe make them a multipart kit like Aeldari where u can make regular and Ynnari units, but like faun and less faun versions.

I have a feeling if/when we get them, it’ll be like a Warcry warband or something where it’s a mix of all three, but I think that’ll just make it easy to convert them all into being wanderer style with some leg swaps and I guess replacing any centaur with Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Togetak said:

it does seem like they’ve gone back on that and that it’s a kurnoth blessing to grow hooves and hair like that.

Yeah, I think it’s like Pizzaprez said about Qualthis being special because she was made for a game that still operated off the idea Wanderers would stay in CoS and was just rebranded.(they even had her come from an isolated sub-realm you aren’t supposed to leave which exiled her for it)

Especially since rumors of a “Death focused Warhammer Quest” started in 2017. It probably got pushed back by Blackstone Fortress and they rolled with it despite design decisions by 2019 shifting way over to make AoS more distinct, which increased further now that they can have faun-aelves & centaurs for AoS while TOW has regular wood elves to separate everything magically over-the-top vs LotR+.

Regardless, I don’t really see much need right now outside another warband at best. Sylvaneth have been eating/photosynthesizing well this edition already. 🌱 🪲 

Edited by Baron Klatz

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Yeah, I think it’s like Pizzaprez said about Qualthis being special because she was made for a game that still operated off the idea Wanderers would stay in CoS and was just rebranded.(they even had her come from an isolated sub-realm you aren’t supposed to leave which exiled her for it)

Especially since rumors of a “Death focused Warhammer Quest” started in 2017. It probably got pushed back by Blackstone Fortress and they rolled with it despite design decisions by 2019 shifting way over to make AoS more distinct, which increased further now that they can have faun-aelves & centaurs for AoS while TOW has regular wood elves to separate everything magically over-the-top vs LotR+.

Regardless, I don’t really see much need right now outside another warband at best. Sylvaneth have been eating/photosynthesizing well this edition already. 🌱 🪲 

I'd like to see a couple characters and a couple units for kurnothi, a centaur hunt master, a satyr/faun elf druid priest and then either a combined warcry unit or separate units for satyr/faun elf skirmishers and then centaur cavalry. I think there's room for a forest spirit beast in there too, a big magical stag maybe made from plants and bark? Aside from that, sylvaneth could use updated dryads eventually, the age on that kit is showing imo 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Luperci said:

I think there's room for a forest spirit beast in there too,

The UnderWorlds warband had that blade-tailed Lion-like creature from Ghur.

I think it’d be cool to see a Ghyran version that’s made from forest parts. It has precedent too as some early Realmgate Wars books made mentions of Ghyrlions though never described them.

518RbPKJL6L.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

The UnderWorlds warband had that blade-tailed Lion-like creature from Ghur.

I think it’d be cool to see a Ghyran version that’s made from forest parts. It has precedent too as some early Realmgate Wars books made mentions of Ghyrlions though never described them.

518RbPKJL6L.jpg

That's ugly...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

I agree that they have been getting much love this edition. But the thing that has been lacking is a Kurnothi battleline unit if they want to fully introduce this subfaction. Sylvaneth are in a Darkoath situation with a few units that need to be brought together. 

I think other armies need some new stuff first, but it would be nice to have.

2 hours ago, Luperci said:

Aside from that, sylvaneth could use updated dryads eventually, the age on that kit is showing imo 

I recently build and painted up 30 dryads and while they could do better i dont see any hurry to replace them. They look great on the tabletop.

I get that ToW is making some believe older models need to be removed from AoS but all old sculpts would eventually get replaced/ moved to legend even without ToW existing. It has been happening since AoS started. ToW is just a new home for these older sculpts to still exist. In the long run i expect dryads to make some room for new sculpts or get replace by another battleline unit as Revenants fill the same tree like battleline design space imho (although i personally like dryads more).

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xil said:

That's ugly...

Sorry, early yugioh that first popped up. They made more aesthetically pleasing plant-Lion creatures since then you can imagine instead.(of course I’d want AoS to go off on its own design like a bramble mane and Venus flytrap tail or the like to give it a deep jungle feel and maybe reflect Gargoylians as elemental kin)

186983.jpg
image.jpeg.e4e378dffcca82e585337cfad9bce221.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Morning! What do we expect from today's Dawnbringers short? Maybe one focused a bit on the story that was spoiled in Warhammer + (describing Ushoran's castle)?

All my money on the Nulahmia vampire and her pet formerly-God-beast snake.

Give her some more character on the coming events and make her model’s backstory even more attractive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Sorry, early yugioh that first popped up. They made more aesthetically pleasing plant-Lion creatures since then you can imagine instead.(of course I’d want AoS to go off on its own design like a bramble mane and Venus flytrap tail or the like to give it a deep jungle feel and maybe reflect Gargoylians as elemental kin)

186983.jpg
image.jpeg.e4e378dffcca82e585337cfad9bce221.jpeg

All my money on the Nulahmia vampire and her pet formerly-God-beast snake.

Give her some more character on the coming events and make her model’s backstory even more attractive.

If we talking yugioh x sylvaneth ill take an AoS version of this one.

BlackRoseDragon-MGED-EN-PGR-1E-AA.png.cab6e868401235026a3e36ff43fa04e9.png

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1