The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Wait... Are you calling those bat squigs BEASTLY? They are adorable!

I love them too, but they are beasts/pets.

I feel like the entire Era of the Beast has a lot of missed opportunities though.

More marine creatures for Idoneth, more Lofnir/Magmadroths for Fyreslayers (instead of just 1 kyndledroth), Beastclaw Raiders kit refresh, Kharadron sky-kraken hunters, Ossiarch animal constructs from beast bones, etc.

I hope they still do animal/beast-focused releases next edition.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 1

Hastings - who used to be one of the more reliable rumourmongers - is now reporting that the Tomb King half of the boxset will include a Hero/Lord on Chariot and 'Sand Mummies'. In addition, an Empire vs Greenskins box will drop in Summer, along with one Greenskin plastic kit and three Empire plastics. Both will get resin releases and there will be a 'narrative book' alongside them.

@Twisted Firaun

Edit: Got ninja'ed for this one on the TOW thread by thirty minutes, but ah well. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Hastings - who used to be one of the more reliable rumourmongers - is now reporting that the Tomb King half of the boxset will include a Hero/Lord on Chariot and 'Sand Mummies'. In addition, an Empire vs Greenskins box will drop in Summer, along with one Greenskin plastic kit and three Empire plastics. Both will get resin releases and there will be a 'narrative book' alongside them.

@Twisted Firaun

Edit: Got ninja'ed for this one on the TOW thread by thirty minutes, but ah well. 

The interesting part is that he said there would be a Bretonia Vs Tomb Kings starter while Valrak who is also pretty reliable said each faction would get their own starter boxes. Will be interesting to see which turns out true

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

@Twisted Firaun

So we are back to the dual boxes rumour? It is going to be fun during the following 3-4 months.

13 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

The interesting part is that he said there would be a Bretonia Vs Tomb Kings starter while Valrak who is also pretty reliable said each faction would get their own starter boxes. Will be interesting to see which turns out true

It could be both? Bretonnia vs TK as the 'Starter Set' (which GW arbitrarily don't refer to as such, even though it basically is) with smaller, cheaper sets for the individual core armies (with old models). Not unlike how we have the Starters for 40k/AoS and Combat Patrols/Vanguards for everybody else. Presumably the boxes that come later would be FOMO limited if they contain new stuff. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

@Twisted Firaun

A plastic Lord on Chariot sounds great, this is absolutely something the TK range was missing before.

"Sand Mummies" is a bit of a head scratcher. The only way I can make sense of this is as a new take on the old hyper-generic "Warhammer Undead" mummies.

If this rumour pans out, the lack of a redone skeleton infantry/archer kit will be a big disappointment.

21 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

@Twisted Firaun

I got the impression that the TK on Chariot was just a new model coming, not in the box. Might be wrong though.

Unfortunately apparently the box is £185, which is a real pain...

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

A plastic Lord on Chariot sounds great, this is absolutely something the TK range was missing before.

"Sand Mummies" is a bit of a head scratcher. The only way I can make sense of this is as a new take on the old hyper-generic "Warhammer Undead" mummies.

If this rumour pans out, the lack of a redone skeleton infantry/archer kit will be a big disappointment.

Foot Knigths were pretty old aswell, maybe the Mummies are their equivalent.

Just now, Goatforce said:

I always take pricing rumours with a giant silo of salt, even if it's a relatively trusted source. I don't think there's ever been a pricing rumour that was correct, since presumably that side of things is dealt with by it's own department to the rest.

It's far from impossible given Age of Darkness is £185 of course. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

I got the impression that the TK on Chariot was just a new model coming, not in the box. Might be wrong though.

I mean, the 185 pounds pricepoint is exactly as you'd expect right? If it's the fantasy 30k, it makes perfect sense for it to be priced the same way. The game is extremely likely to be in much lower demand than AoS like HH is compared to 40k, so it also makes sense for it to be not as cheap to produce.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Snarff said:

I mean, the 185 pounds pricepoint is exactly as you'd expect right? If it's the fantasy 30k, it makes perfect sense for it to be priced the same way. The game is extremely likely to be in much lower demand than AoS like HH is compared to 40k, so it also makes sense for it to be not as cheap to produce.

Not really as most of the models are 20 years old, and thus I would assume didn't need any new molds. Also these 20 year old models probably make up the majority of the box. So it really isn't like Horus Heresy, and shouldn't be costed as if it is.

I had hoped that because very little of this release was new, the price would be reasonable.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I always take pricing rumours with a giant silo of salt, even if it's a relatively trusted source. I don't think there's ever been a pricing rumour that was correct, since presumably that side of things is dealt with by it's own department to the rest.

It's far from impossible given Age of Darkness is £185 of course. 

Well I'll have my fingers crossed. I really want the TKs but £185 for mostly 20 year old Skellies is a stretch

28 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

It could be both? Bretonnia vs TK as the 'Starter Set' (which GW arbitrarily don't refer to as such, even though it basically is) with smaller, cheaper sets for the individual core armies (with old models). Not unlike how we have the Starters for 40k/AoS and Combat Patrols/Vanguards for everybody else. Presumably the boxes that come later would be FOMO limited if they contain new stuff. 

That would be my guess, something akin to what they've done with MEBSG, their starter set and the compatible Battlehost.

Edited by Jator
MEBSG, not MERP! :P
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Foot Knigths were pretty old aswell, maybe the Mummies are their equivalent.

Sure, but Tomb Kings already have a plastic elite infantry kit in Tomb Guard. I would honestly find it surprising if mummy infantry was returned to Tomb Kings after not being part of the faction after it got its first army book. Especially if this was motivated by some kinf of fairness-based reasoning "Bretonnia got a new plastic infantry unit, so Tomb Kings also have to get the exact same kind of unit."

IMO, both a new basic infantry kit or new chariots would make more sense. Or plastic Ushabti.

• Like 1

Maybe they will cut the skeleton units like mounted archers and basic spearmen to only keep "egyptian" like units

In that case, they will have a room to create a brand new elite unit like the knights on foot. 

Edited by Vagard

The only way I see that working (for me at least) is if the fantastic Tomb Guard sculpts become the new skeleton warriors, and this rumoured new mummy unit replaces the role filled by the Tomb Guard previously.

Otherwise…. Those skeleton warriors are just such bad models, surely they can’t be running with those after all this time?

Edited by The Brotherhood of Necros
  • Like 5

Just now, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

The only way I see that working (for me at least) is if the fantastic Tomb Guard sculpts become the new skeleton warriors, and this rumoured new mummy ubit replaces the role filled by the Tomb Guard previously.

Otherwise…. Those skeleton warriors are just such bad models, surely they can’t be running with those after all this time?

That could work, they're good sculpts, but it would leave the TK range without archers, one of their distinctive units.

1 minute ago, Goatforce said:

Not really as most of the models are 20 years old, and thus I would assume didn't need any new molds. Also these 20 year old models probably make up the majority of the box. So it really isn't like Horus Heresy, and shouldn't be costed as if it is.

I had hoped that because very little of this release was new, the price would be reasonable.

The WFB holdovers in AoS and old 40k models are also still consistently going up in price though. I would be surprised if there wasn't a price increase. The aim of the game is exactly to be like HH though, and from what I see online a large part of the interested people in TOW don't even want most of the kits to be updated because they want to keep the original models (and play with the armies they already have).

• Like 1

@sandlemad very true! Can you tell I’m clutching at dusty, sand-clogged straws? 😂 That they would still run those ancient skeleton sprues when the skeleton quality standards are so much higher nowadays is just defying my belief!

I had to convert a whole unit just to be happy with them when I collected some last year.

IMG_5601.jpeg

• Like 3

I understand inflation is a thing and GW needs to turn a profit yadda yadda yadda but if the The Old World dares to cost as much as AOS its gunna burn. Burn in the fires of The End Times 2.0. A box of skeletons, at least, should be 40-50% cheaper than current Soulblight sculpts.

• Like 7

Judging by the tone of the last article, older kits will come with larger regiment sizes. So I'd guess Skeletons will be sold as 32s, rather than Deathrattle's 20s, whereas newer kits (like the Foot Knights) will be closer to AoS. The prices might be similar, but you'll get more models for the price.

Then again you just get some unusual pricing like 20 new Mark III marines being £45 compared to 10 Primaris Intercessors for £37.50. So GW are apparently capable of surprises sometimes. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snarff said:

The WFB holdovers in AoS and old 40k models are also still consistently going up in price though. I would be surprised if there wasn't a price increase. The aim of the game is exactly to be like HH though, and from what I see online a large part of the interested people in TOW don't even want most of the kits to be updated because they want to keep the original models (and play with the armies they already have).

And? That doesn't make it reasonable or something that we should accept. It is ridiculous that GW is pushing massively outdated products, that often are at best a bit derpy, out that are priced as if they are brand new.

They are also not trying to restart a game that was dropped almost a decade ago with HH, AoS or 40K - that also died in a highly controversial way, one would hope that they would attempt to actually give the people they shafted (and that is exactly what invalidating sometimes £1000s worth of their products did to longtime fans) a decent deal to woo them back.

• Like 8