The Rumour Thread

Well I have to be honest here.... I dont get what idea GW had when compiling the box content of those four boxes. We have two boxes with the monopose snapfit models from the starting box vs two boxes that are awesome value with the standard sprues of the factions.

I just canceled parts of my order at a reseller, because instead of buying two boxes of Brutes... the new Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband is so much more value.... (because who ever was responsible for compiling it had at least a clue how to do it right).

Edited by Vaux
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thediceabide said:

Anyone else notice that the rules for Warband Creation say that 50-100 is the standard size, and the minimum is 3, with no maximum stated?

Some people were saying reknown is just warscroll points divided by 5. If so, anything much over 100 renknown drifts into the territory of just a normal size game of AoS, with 200 renown equaling 1000 points.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vaeron said:

Some people were saying reknown is just warscroll points divided by 5. If so, anything much over 100 renknown drifts into the territory of just a normal size game of AoS, with 200 renown equaling 1000 points.

Yeah that's where the concern is, 100 renown seems like you can make quite a large army, especially if you have goblins or ungor, I was really hoping for a specific hard cap to be in the Warband creation rules. I just don't want it to end up like Kill Team where the best way to go was with Orks or Tyranids taking as many of the cheapest troop as possible, ending up with more models than you could even reasonably kill in a game.

Edited by thediceabide

With the SE and KB boxes gw simply missed the opportunity to make them appeal to any collector of the faction, whereas the other two are great starters or add ons to the start collecting sets. I think 5 libs and the 3 bird people plus hero wouldve been better, as you at least have a bunch of weapon options on the libs (unless you have to follow the unit option restrictions... which you probably do!)

I think i read somewhere the max is 20 models in a warband?

• Like 1

i think people are missing out on the fact that campaigns start at are listed to start at around 25 renown. 50 - 100 is just sizing examples. 

I think 50 renown battles are going to be similar to what we've seen on stream, with a hero that essentially takes up all the points, and a small regiment to follow him. I assume 100 renown games will mostly feature more than one hero, and if most heroes will be 20+ its safe to say that the game still wont look too big.

5 hours ago, hellalugosi said:

i think people are missing out on the fact that campaigns start at are listed to start at around 25 renown. 50 - 100 is just sizing examples. 

I think 50 renown battles are going to be similar to what we've seen on stream, with a hero that essentially takes up all the points, and a small regiment to follow him. I assume 100 renown games will mostly feature more than one hero, and if most heroes will be 20+ its safe to say that the game still wont look too big.

It sounds like 50-100 was suggested for a one off game. 100+ seems extreme though, and isn't hard to get to in a campaign. 

On 5/20/2017 at 4:29 PM, Turragor said:

I am afraid you cannot defend it,

Well that makes my opinion totally invalid. Well argued ;) But if you are so determined to see only the bad in a box like that i'll leave it at that. Just feels like a lot of negativity. 

On 5/20/2017 at 7:14 PM, thediceabide said:

Yeah that's where the concern is, 100 renown seems like you can make quite a large army, especially if you have goblins or ungor, I was really hoping for a specific hard cap to be in the Warband creation rules. I just don't want it to end up like Kill Team where the best way to go was with Orks or Tyranids taking as many of the cheapest troop as possible, ending up with more models than you could even reasonably kill in a game.

Watch the Miniwargaming review. They talk about the limits of creation a bit. Your concern is valid but handled it seems. You can only take that many of a single warscroll and the warscroll options seem very limited. 

On May 20, 2017 at 1:43 PM, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Actually, it's not that clearcut. Varanguard are 24 renown in skirmishes yet on the table top a pop would cost 100pts.

No, Varanguard are 360 for a unit of 3, 120 points for 1.  It is the individual model cost that is divided by 5.  Notice that 120 (cost of 1 Varanguard), divided by 5...is 24.  It looks like this is a pretty straightforward conversion math that they used.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Watch the Miniwargaming review. They talk about the limits of creation a bit. Your concern is valid but handled it seems. You can only take that many of a single warscroll and the warscroll options seem very limited. 

Ehh, that's hardly handled, haha. With multiple types of goblin, or just beastmen taking 20 ungor, 20 raiders, you're at 60 points, a shaman brings that to 78, and supposedly in campaigns you will be reaching 100+...

It seems like it would be pretty trivial to take a large number of models and swamp out anyone who is playing something closer to what we can assume GW meant. Without damage rolling through units, you could possibly have more models than someone is even capable of killing over the course of a game.

Really, I'm hoping this is a legit skirmish game, instead of a game that GW is just putting out with minimal effort to sucker people to starting full new AOS armies. 

Edited by thediceabide

53 minutes ago, thediceabide said:

Without damage rolling through units, you could possibly have more models than someone is even capable of killing over the course of a game.

haha never thought of this. But to be honest it doesn't look to me like GW is trying to create a perfect system just a fun little add-on. If that isn't for you that's of course fine. Can't imagine anyone in my gaming group trying to break a system like this. But you are right, there probably will be people doing stuff like that if you organise a skirmish tournament. 

Then again just houserule it to maximum 20 models or something. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kramer said:

haha never thought of this. But to be honest it doesn't look to me like GW is trying to create a perfect system just a fun little add-on. If that isn't for you that's of course fine. Can't imagine anyone in my gaming group trying to break a system like this. But you are right, there probably will be people doing stuff like that if you organise a skirmish tournament. 

Then again just houserule it to maximum 20 models or something. 

Yeah, it's the same people that made Path to Glory just about unplayable by taking a Lord Celestant on Stardrake and 50 Liberators as their "warband," when players like Sylvaneth are stuck with a Branchwych and a handful or Dryads, lol. I'm just imagining the destruction player with the cheapest possible hero, then the maximum amount of grots and moonclan with bows to fill in the rest. I generally look to see how a game can be broken so I know what I can expect from the least of us, haha.

Basically, it means there won't be skirmish tournaments without house rules, and for pick up play, it's not really going to work.

Edited by thediceabide

3 minutes ago, thediceabide said:

Basically, it means there won't be skirmish tournaments without house rules, and for pick up play, it's not really going to work.

Haha of you are ever in Amsterdam we'll play a pick up game and it will work I guarantee it ;) 

no but seriously yes people will break it but I'm convinced even more people will have great experiences with it. Unless I get the rules next week and they suck of course ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Haha of you are ever in Amsterdam we'll play a pick up game and it will work I guarantee it ;) 

no but seriously yes people will break it but I'm convinced even more people will have great experiences with it. Unless I get the rules next week and they suck of course ;) 

I may just have to take you up on that!

Thankfully there's always Hinterlands, just sad that the official Skirmish rules are sounding more like "how to run an escalation league" to get people into making larger armies, rather than a proper skirmish game. Oh well, just means more money to save for Underworlds when it hits!

Review of AoS Skirmish I hadn't seen posted yet:

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2029

mIiIhPI.jpg

It looks like the warscrolls that made it into Skirmish are non artillery/behemoth and come in plastic. Khorgaroths even managed to sneak in and they've got the monster keyword. Intaresting...

Black Ark Fleetmaster super cheap as ever.

Edited by Double Misfire
spelling mistake
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Review of AoS Skirmish I hadn't seen posted yet:

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2029

mIiIhPI.jpg

It looks like the warscrolls that made it into Skirmish are non artillery/behemoth and come in plastic. Khorgaroths even managed to sneak in and they've got the monster keyword. Intaresting...

Black Ark Fleetmaster super cheap as ever.

Time to paint those Black Ark Corsairs, I guess. Hopefully the Chariot can make up some points, as those Corsairs definitly won't do that.

1 hour ago, Vaeron said:

There are a couple factions with only one or two model choices, so a leader + huge numbers of lackeys may be unavoidable for some armies.

Do you have to make "armies?" Can't you just bring a few of these,  a bit of that?

Official unit max size and max one warscroll per model type cuts down on the horde spam (unless you use multiple horde model types, of course). I imagine the warband-wide battleshock will also play into that?

Edit: Though, from listening to the latest Black Sun podcast, it sounds like the final scenario is decided by number of units around the relic. And since winning that last battle wins the campaign...

Edited by mdkinker