What a masterpiece of an article.

Retreat with a cost in mortal wounds.

Charging visible units.

Mystic shield gone.

Can't shoot in melee.

Health now per unit, not per model.

Unit roles in the book…

Amazing rules, amazing edition

If "Health now per unit, not per model." then we can forget about putting heroes in the unit, isn't it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

If "Health now per unit, not per model." then we can forget about putting heroes in the unit, isn't it?

Yep, I think so. I wanted to see thar style in AoS, but is good to have proper mechanics and not to be just 40k in a fantasy setting

I'm liking a lot of what I'm reading here.

Most of all, I'm liking Vindicators actually feeling more like spear-armed troops, and the loss of missile fire in melee. It feels like a return to the more strategy-game feel of old that AoS has often felt a little lacking in some places up to now.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Vagard said:

Seems like we enter the era of Rend here

Yeah, this combined with the lose of save stacking means lots of casualties per fight. There will be so many casualties that battleshock wasn't needed anymore. They are very focussed on making the game play quickly.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Not necessarily. The hero could just be ignored as long as their unit still exists. 

You'd just ignore the heroes health until the unit gets wiped. 40k kinda does the same, where your hero's save and toughness doesn't matter if there are enough wounds to wipe them and their unit.

Just now, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I would love for them to clarify new rend. This and how Control works is what I want clarified the most.

Control have already been explained : the control points are for each minis, so if a unit of 10 minis with a control point value of 2 is on an objective, they worth 20 control points and you will need more than that to take the objective back. 

Regarding rend, I don't see how it can change, we've seen that il will be way more difficult to stack +1 save as many iterations have gone so I guess it will be more difficult to reduce ennemi's rend but it will work the same as now otherwise

I also find the Blood Sisters Crystal touch a bit strange. It basically means that aelves, humans will always strike last as they probably have 1 or 2 wounds. But bigger and slower things will be less bothered by it. Which imo should be more easy to hit than nimble Aelves.

2 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

Not necessarily. The hero could just be ignored as long as their unit still exists. 

You'd just ignore the heroes health until the unit gets wiped. 40k kinda does the same, where your hero's save and toughness doesn't matter if there are enough wounds to wipe them and their unit.

They could also do a WHFB/9th Age kinda thing with heros in units facing off first, then fight into the unit and dying first from enemy hero, or last from enemy unit. That whole thing.

2 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I also find the Blood Sisters Crystal touch a bit strange. It basically means that aelves, humans will always strike last as they probably have 1 or 2 wounds. But bigger and slower things will be less bothered by it. Which imo should be more easy to hit than nimble Aelves.

I think is easier to turn glass a humble human than a big gargant.

• Like 2

Almost all good stuff this time, I only have nitpicks and not actual issues with the rules.

• Ardboyz only get shield bashes when they get charged (nerf) but melee snakes now get to throw fights last all the time, end the destruction discrimination!
  • not a fan of taking mortals when you retreat. its not a big deal, but d3 is such a minor thing I'm not sure why it needs to be here at all.
  • "End of save stacking" and "Rend reduced" being in the same breath worries me, we literally just saw a stormcast allegiance ability that also gives +1 save which stacks with all out defense. The game should be deadly.
  • Coherency even stricter than before (1/2" instead of 1"), there better be more units with wider coherency too. Nurgle flies and mancrushers should've had it last edition, among other units.
  • Pile in simplification is great
  • codifying when the abilities activate is nice, and forcing them all to activate at an easy to remember time is good.
  • damage going on the unit instead of individual models is great.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captaniser said:

Coherency is now half an inch. It’s going to be so friggin annoying moving models with bits that overhand bases now, boingrot bounders and all of the Night haunt are going to be a nightmare.

Even with movement trays, yeah. Spindly stuff is gonna be annoying.

1 minute ago, Ragest said:

I think is easier to turn glass a humble human than a big gargant.

If it can touch it. A bigger thing is easier to hit than a nimbler/smaller/faster thing. I.e the Kroxigor is basically immune to that ability but regular aelves, humans already know they will fight last when in combat with Blood sisters.

They are pushing units in a fixed role. I am not saying it's a bad thing. I just find it a bit bizar that smaller / nimbler creatures are easier to touch than a slow moving kroxigor.

I think heroes being in a unit is something they would have mentioned earlier. 

I'm not sure about the rend issue. It works the same it always did. 

Control seems pretty obvious. You add up the unit score, then add any bonuses. Warhammer weekly were full of praise for this system. The bonus can be much more nuanced as they are additive rather than multiplicative.

I hope that shooting in combat is kept for small side arms. Getting off a quick shot with a pistol seems logical, shooting a cannon doesn't. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Almost all good stuff this time, I only have nitpicks and not actual issues with the rules.

• Ardboyz only get shield bashes when they get charged (nerf) but melee snakes now get to throw fights last all the time, end the destruction discrimination!
  • not a fan of taking mortals when you retreat. its not a big deal, but d3 is such a minor thing I'm not sure why it needs to be here at all.
  • "End of save stacking" and "Rend reduced" being in the same breath worries me, we literally just saw a stormcast allegiance ability that also gives +1 save which stacks with all out defense. The game should be deadly.
  • Coherency even stricter than before (1/2" instead of 1"), there better be more units with wider coherency too. Nurgle flies and mancrushers should've had it last edition, among other units.
  • Pile in simplification is great
  • codifying when the abilities activate is nice, and forcing them all to activate at an easy to remember time is good.
  • damage going on the unit instead of individual models is great.

I don't have the feeling rend is nerved at all. It will be much more effective than before. I agree with the rest. The 1/2" coherency is a bit bizar, as it already was sometimes difficult with the 1" for the more dynamic models with bigger/longer weapons.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

If it can touch it. A bigger thing is easier to hit than a nimbler/smaller/faster thing. I.e the Kroxigor is basically immune to that ability but regular aelves, humans already know they will fight last when in combat with Blood sisters.

They are pushing units in a fixed role. I am not saying it's a bad thing. I just find it a bit bizar that smaller / nimbler creatures are easier to touch than a slow moving kroxigor.

The rule is about the fact that the medusa's look turn people in stone/crystal (because fancier) when you see through her eyes. It is more lore accurate to turn a small human into glass than a gargant. GW didn't want to give a buff related to the ease to touch a big target but the ability to turn into glass small and weak creatures easier than big ones. 

Edited by Vagard
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

The ability makes the enemy unit in-universe into crystal. Big things are harder to turn into crystal, because their bodies are too big.

For example: A small person will get drunk more easily than a big person, because the alcohol if circulating faster through their body.

Edited by pitzok
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I don't have the feeling rend is nerved at all. It will be much more effective than before. I agree with the rest. The 1/2" coherency is a bit bizar, as it already was sometimes difficult with the 1" for the more dynamic models with bigger/longer weapons.

They said in the article rend was reduced across the game.

2 minutes ago, Vagard said:

The rule is about the fact that the medusa's look turn people in stone/crystal (because fancier) when you see through her eyes. It is more lore accurate to turn a small human into glass than a gargant. GW didn't want to give a buff related to the ease to touch a big target but rather to the ability to turn into glass small and weak creatures. 

But it isn't the medusa and in the fluff text they are speaking about the scath touch. Which isn't a gaze. Or am I missing somethin?

3 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

my feeling is that the new coherency, the wound pools (albeit not hugely impactful at first blush) and other little signs (the 3" range will mean most units will just have all their models in range) point to the focus switching from single models to "units" as the game piece -likely won't be achieved entirely in this edition of course. It is surely a direction to go if you want the game to be faster.

Just now, Ganigumo said:

They said in the article rend was reduced across the game.

Yes, and basically every weapon previewed gets a rend bonus on a crit. While still having rend in the weapon profile. So +2 rend isn't rare, but it seems you can't nullify it as easly as before.

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

But it isn't the medusa and in the fluff text they are speaking about the scath touch. Which isn't a gaze. Or am I missing somethin?

Yes it is about the touch, but if a normal human is the size of a kroxigor's leg, it will be much easier to turn them into crystal than a kroxigor.