The Rumour Thread

20 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

but don't come to cry if you don't like the results.

Unnecessary. I would find it interesting to have such a poll here, no matter what the result were.

Edited by Ejecutor

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It is not about the game, it is about the setting, IMO. And in that particular bit, Cursed City almost nailed it.

Yes, Cursed City was a grim dark setting. But you know, that kind of setting existed waaaay before Mordheim.

13 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Yes, Cursed City was a grim dark setting. But you know, that kind of setting existed waaaay before Mordheim.

If you are talking about general warhammer fantasy, FB wasnt that grimdark before Mordheim, and never really got there, even tho it clearly moved in that direction. But i would make a baseless guess that grimdarkification of fantasy over the years is more of a result of 40k popularity, rather than Mordheim

Just now, Gutsu17 said:

If you are talking about general warhammer fantasy, FB wasnt that grimdark before Mordheim, and never really got there, even tho it clearly moved in that direction. But i would make a baseless guess that grimdarkification of fantasy over the years is more of a result of 40k popularity, rather than Mordheim

You never played old FB RPG books, didn't you. Damn were they grim, dark, brutal and merciless. Mordheim invented nothing, it was just the natural continuation of what already existed before.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

You never played old FB RPG books, didn't you. Damn were they grim, dark, brutal and merciless. Mordheim invented nothing, it was just the natural continuation of what already existed before.

Have you read them recently? They are a lot less grim than I remember them being as a teenager. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It is not about the game, it is about the setting, IMO. And in that particular bit, Cursed City almost nailed it.

Luckly the setting is back with TOW 😄😉 

@Sarouan I think maybe you got the wrong idea from what we were initially talking about - and it would be nice not to belittle people for holding different views, please.
For the record, Mordheim has been my main game since its release and the majority of my collection exists in service to that game, including some very rare pieces. So, definitely not a newbie.
Anyway, that isn't the point...

I think for the most part, when people say they want "something like Mordheim" or a spiritual successor, or whatever terminology they generally mean one of two things:

1. A setting of post apocalyptic ruined city skirmish, oppressive, overrun with evil, high risk, adventure, intrigue, grit, etc. like you described. - and/or;
  2. A fantasy narrative skirmish game with recurring campaign rules that focuses on the individual character more than the unit. Think Mordheim, Necromunda, Frostgrave, Stargrave, etc.

They often use Mordheim as the example because it's an in-IP example of those two things with a well known name among gamers. Hopefully that helps illustrate the meaning better 👍.

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi
  • Like 5

Moving it back to the original discussion point around a future Warhammer Quest, perhaps a better way to put it would be that I personally would like two different things (but would be excited to see them both in one package):

1. A Mortal Realms IP skirmish game more like the new Necromunda (and thus somewhat like old Necromunda or Mordheim). WarCry is close, but not quite close enough for me.
  2. A Mortal Realms IP setting similar to Mordheim in its theme, location type and visual language (which like others have mentioned, Cursed City was close in it's 'vibe').

A new Warhammer Quest could fill the role of item #2 above, in that we've got a perfect setting to emulate it: a ruined mortal city overrun by Skaven and all many of nasties. Obviously it isn't going to be a narrative skirmish game, no one meant that.

As for the future WarCry edition, I would love to see the campaign rules extended (even if optional) and made more granular with a better focus on Your Dudes™ and their personal stories. Like the old Soroth-kor campaign from the ToC2020.

Having said all of that, I had forgotten about the rumored new edition of Space Hulk being the "Warhammer Quest" product that was coming down the pipeline. So, maybe we're not due for a Mortal Realms WQ for a while after all.

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

My bet is Blight City. It ticks all the Mordheim nostalgia fibres, but for that we would have to wait at least 1,5 years or 2.

This would be a fun setting, bands of adventurers looking to plunder Blight City. I would love to see it.

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

Luckly the setting is back with TOW 😄😉 

I'm very interested to see if they go there with future products. Time will tell.
Heck, they could even Mordheim Classic™ us and re-release the old book as a limited run with some old casts and I would be smiling at the people who might jump in to check it out. New life in the Mordheim community is always welcomed.

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi

25 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

*Reaches for the tank of copium and takes a deep breath*
Warcry tomorrow announced for pre order right guys? Right guys...?
*The tank is nearing empty*

I think it is Mandrakes time, then book 6 comes the week after or the following. Maybe Warcry is the next week's preorder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sarouan said:

The tone changed with Mordheim. Look for Jordan&Sorcery, it has one of the best reviews of the warhammer fantasy (the game, not the setting). 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I think it is Mandrakes time, then book 6 comes the week after or the following. Maybe Warcry is the next week's preorder.

They done Warcry and Kill team together before. I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened again.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chikout said:

They done Warcry and Kill team together before. I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened again.

I think that's the winner's bet for tomorrow. I didn't suggest it because of how messy they have all the production.

What made Mordheim great to me was that you had a warband that advanced from game to game, through improved abilities, skills, and equipment. You’d have 4-6 heroes that could also suffer permanent injuries, death, or be sold to the slave pits! You would name each model, including your grunts, and could convert models when they obtained new weapons or armor. You’d jump off second story buildings at an enemy below, risking injury or death to both models. I played for a ~decade with a group of 10-15 people, and it’s still my favorite GW game. Imbalance was kind of built into the game as campaigns progressed, but with bigger groups and an RPG-lite mentality, we found it not a big deal or we’d just reboot the whole campaign.

I’m grateful for Warcry but calling Warcry the spiritual successor to Mordheim is really inaccurate from my perspective.

I’d throw lots of money at a true Mordheim remake. Like, all my hobby money.

• Like 4

Yeah, warcry's a good game, very fun, but it's appeal isn't the same as what Mordheim offers.

That said, you really don't need GW support for mordheim.  Where Warcry is a pick up / bring and battle game, and thus needs some amount of current support to stay relevant, Mordheim is a campaign game where you need a regular group of pals to play with, and if you have that then the old Mordheim rules work just fine.  Get together for a weekend, order some pizza, pull up the rules online, cut & scotch tape the empty pizza boxes into ruined building terrain, and play some games on the kitchen table.  Even when it comes to minis support, if you have enough people to play a mordheim campaign, chances are one of them can get access to a 3d printer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vaellas said:

*Reaches for the tank of copium and takes a deep breath*
Warcry tomorrow announced for pre order right guys? Right guys...?
*The tank is nearing empty*

"Monkey paw curls"

Warcry preorder announced, but they're skipping pyre and flood and going straight to the next box instead.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Captaniser said:

"Monkey paw curls"

Warcry preorder announced, but they're skipping pyre and flood and going straight to the next box instead.

Then we would see the real meaning of Pyre and Flood. People going with torches to burn GW HQ.

15 minutes ago, Sception said:

Yeah, warcry's a good game, very fun, but it's appeal isn't the same as what Mordheim offers.

That said, you really don't need GW support for mordheim.  Where Warcry is a pick up / bring and battle game, and thus needs some amount of current support to stay relevant, Mordheim is a campaign game where you need a regular group of pals to play with, and if you have that then the old Mordheim rules work just fine.  Get together for a weekend, order some pizza, pull up the rules online, cut & scotch tape the empty pizza boxes into ruined building terrain, and play some games on the kitchen table.  Even when it comes to minis support, if you have enough people to play a mordheim campaign, chances are one of them can get access to a 3d printer.

Yeah. In a way Warcry is kind of the anti Mordheim. It's easy to learn, it plays fast and has great replayability due to the way missions are generated. There is a narrative side to the game but it's not massively in-depth. 

Mordheim on the other hand is difficult to learn with a lot of rules to remember. It can be pretty clunky to play, but the narrative side is very in-depth and can be incredibly engaging with the right group of people.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Captaniser said:

"Monkey paw curls"

Don't. I need to hold off for the Lumineth, but the Ossiarchs may sway me over and add me to the amalgamations of shame.