The Rumour Thread

Does anyone think that the announcement might not be a change in the rules but instead a rewrite of them?

So they aren't fundamentally changing the core set, but after the last round of FAQs and the consistent questions that get asked around specific things such as Bloodsecrator Stacking, Shooting in/out of combat, and a whole bevy of other issues that come up again and again, they might have considered those as issues stemming from the phrasing of certain rules, and will rewrite them to clarify  certain points/package the FAQs into the core ruleset/add a few things like the Rules of One (maybe a one instance of source buff being an amendment to that)?

I suppose the difference between change and rewrite is essentially semantics, but wargaming rules are largely a game of semantics (and for you lit grads out there, language itself is of course the biggest and most complex of all the games) and I think there are certain issues that keep coming up and need defining, without necessarily changing the majority of the 4 page rule book.

• Like 1

So I just bought the digital overlords battletome and the same set of rules is in the back, so I wouldn't read to much into the lack of rules in the physical book. Faeit is now saying it is not Ghb2. Just an hour to go. Personally hoping for shadow Aelves or a new campaign book.

Just now, Brucimus said:

Just noticed next weeks White Dwarf isn't on pre order.

What ever is getting announced is probably on the cover. I bet we see the pre order for the next issue after the announcement.

The next white dwarf isn't out till may 5th so it will go on preorder next weekend.

Open Play and games like Shadow War mean you can buy one box of minis or a Start Collecting box and you've already got two ways to play with them (3 if you count narrative). It doesn't need to be deep, that comes later for matched play and larger armies, but the whole point of playing these games is to put models on a table and roll dice. The easier they make that, the better it is for everyone. You still have the £400 2k point armies, but you no longer need to home-brew solutions to needlessly complex core rules to make a handful of models fun and viable.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

They're going to have a starter box with new minis.  Check the FAQ:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/the-new-edition-of-warhammer-40000-your-questions-answered/

This is the way they should have transitioned to AoS.  Totally fantastic.

Yes!!!

im super optimistically excited because this is the, new face of the Rowntree era GW.

end times and AoS was borne under the dark Claud that was Kirby and I still to this day believe that had AoS happened under Rowntree it would have been released with the generals handbook and a smooth transition that didn't alienate anyone.

of course old codexes will be invalidated, but I bet good money that you'll get the rules in them on the data slate for the model and there will be the equivalent of  battletomes to give fans of the faction all they need.

for me the question will be how it will work with FW and the Horus heresy, but I dare say it will have been long in discussion as its ugh a lucrative element of the cash flow. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

They're going to have a starter box with new minis.  Check the FAQ:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/the-new-edition-of-warhammer-40000-your-questions-answered/

This is the way they should have transitioned to AoS.  Totally fantastic.

Yeah but they didn't show even a glimpse. I think it is just having an announcement of an announcement rubbed me the wrong way. 

The little teaser video was cool but it was just that a teaser. If this had all just dropped without the prior warning I would have been much happier. I was also hoping for something aos centric. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Yeah but they didn't show even a glimpse. I think it is just having an announcement of an announcement rubbed me the wrong way. 

The little teaser video was cool but it was just that a teaser. If this had all just dropped without the prior warning I would have been much happier. I was also hoping for something aos centric. 

But it's still a couple of months away, and by the time it lands you'll know all you need to know- which is what AoS should have been so nobody is walking into it blind or kept in the dark.

as for AoS centric, yes, but our day will come.

Edited by Kaleb Daark
Patience beardling:)

What’s in the new starter box? 
A new starter box? That’d be exciting! I guess we’d fill it with some awesome new miniatures… (come on, we can’t spoil all the surprises for you!)

Oh I can already answear that! 

Space Marines... Not interested probably. 

But the news overall is good. The better GW stands, the stronger AoS will be. 

• Like 3

Even if not AoS, it's quite exciting considering the current w40k state. Might dust off some CSM.

Replacing the bad elements (book rules stacking) with the positive aspects of AoS and warning about it is a great move. Wish they did something like this for AoS instead of the big middle finger it felt like for many. I suspect having a new and better CEO has a lot to do. 

Exciting! Though I wish we had more concrete news so I could do some planning. Sounds like a good reason to build up some Nurgle stuff though, so I can cross it over between the two. I wonder if I could kitbash Rotbringers and the new Death Guard to use in either game...

1 hour ago, Screwface said:

Current 40k codices will be invalidated. This is going to be entertaining. 

WHOOO HOOOOO! Soooooooooooo glad I learned the lesson that End Times taught and resisted buying all that cool Magnus related stuff and the 3 Storm books.

I feel so vindicated! 

And,  also, yay - I really want a new 40K so I play my Necrons again. 

• Like 1