AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

12 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

With Slaanesh? I don't think you actually have a chance... 😕

You're probably right, but luckily he isn't going Teclis so I think I should have a fighting chance. Last time I played him and he didn't have Teclis I tabled him by the end of turn 2. 

I've gone with a stronger list than I did last time for obvious reasons: 

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Lurid Haze Invaders Host (Host of Chaos)
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Grand Strategy: Vendetta
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Glutos Orscollion, Lord of Gluttony (475) in Warlord
- Host Option: General
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Dark Delusions
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (265) in Battle Regiment
The Masque (135) in Warlord
- General
Keeper of Secrets (420) in Battle Regiment
- Ritual Knife
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Progeny of Damnation
Infernal Enrapturess, Herald of Slaanesh (140) in Warlord
- Artefact: Oil of Exultation
11 x Blissbarb Archers (180) in Warlord
5 x Hellstriders with Hellscourges (135) in Battle Regiment
5 x Hellstriders with Hellscourges (135) in Battle Regiment
Dreadful Visage (90)
Warlord
Battle Regiment
Artefact

Total: 1975 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 79

4 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I think the key is killing Teclis, or killing everything he supports, but that's easier said than done. How well protected is he/the archers? 

If there's a way to reach him, trying as hard as possible to get first turn with Lurid Haze Sigvald double pile in with a KoS may be your best bet. 

My opponent is very canny when it comes to keeping Teclis safe, and always screens him off extremely well precisely because of the threat of Sigvald. If I go second he may be forced to open up a bit and expose Teclis to danger, but I very much doubt he'd ever leave him in a position to be charged. Obviously it's academic for this match, since he's not taking him. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On a meta level, maybe ask your opponent not to bring LRL for a few games? You said you’re in a small meta of three, so your fun counts for a lot. It’s perfectly reasonable to say: “My army really doesn’t have the tools to consistently give your LRL a challenging game. Would you mind bringing something else?” Hopefully he’ll be reasonable, but if he’s really just getting his jollies from stomping you into the ground and refuses, it’s perfectly fine to decline to play him. Which sucks because you won’t get games, but also saves you enduring  three hours of destruction every week

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LeonBox said:

So I could use a little advice. My opponent, hyper-competitive killjoy that he is, is going LRL again (I'm pretty damn tired of facing them at this point, it's basically every battle) and I could use some advice on a decent list to counter their shenanigans. I have to assume magic is basically a write-off, so I may go light on wizards and put the points elsewhere. I think Glutos is still a good choice because of his tankiness and debuff abilities, but I'm unsure about anything else. 

I have a bonkers, untested idea: 33 man unit of Blissbarbs in Lurid Haze and Synessa. Have them teleport, have Synessa use her spell on the hero to get +1 to hit, and a command on the archers (as needed, possibly another +1 in case the enemy has a -1 to hit). That’s 61 shots in. If you ignore Teclis, those archers can still wipe a lot of things. Maybe worth a shot? We always talk about teleporting Sigvald (use him too, if possible), but I think it should be considered to drop a huge damage dealing ranged unit in their backfield. 

Edited by TimeToWaste85
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Does Teclis have infinite range dispel? Synessa has infinite range cast and Be’Lakor’s is an ability, not a cast. 
“sit, booboo, sit” is an effective option for Teclis (it’s like the modern day lore of beasts spell from WHFB)

Teclis gets 1 automatic unbind per turn, but subject to the normal 30" range restriction.  But he, and friendly models in his aura, also ignore all hostile spell effects on a 4+ even if not unbound.

Just now, webert1 said:

I just reread the core rules. Unbinding has a range of 30 inches so by positioning Synessa really far you could Pavane him from a long distance (not sure would help but maybe?).

Just wish there were a way to get her a reroll or casting bonus.  Infinite range Pavane is extremely strong against "dragon" type models - so long as you can roll dice.  

But the coin-flip just to get it off (before considering unbinds) is rough. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KrispyXIV said:

Just wish there were a way to get her a reroll or casting bonus.  Infinite range Pavane is extremely strong against "dragon" type models - so long as you can roll dice. 

Yeah it is very much a coin flip. Seems like we need to have as many flips as possible haha.

Could infernal enrapturess force Teclis to roll for his auto-casts or does it have no effect since he does not roll?

Edited by webert1

3 minutes ago, webert1 said:

Yeah it is very much a coin flip. Seems like we need to have as many flips as possible haha.

Could infernal enrapturess force Teclis to roll for his auto-casts or does it have no effect since he does not roll?

Sadly no, I think it's in the Lumineth FAQ but as no dice are rolled nothing can force them to be re-rolled

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Selpharia said:

On a meta level, maybe ask your opponent not to bring LRL for a few games? You said you’re in a small meta of three, so your fun counts for a lot. It’s perfectly reasonable to say: “My army really doesn’t have the tools to consistently give your LRL a challenging game. Would you mind bringing something else?” Hopefully he’ll be reasonable, but if he’s really just getting his jollies from stomping you into the ground and refuses, it’s perfectly fine to decline to play him. Which sucks because you won’t get games, but also saves you enduring  three hours of destruction every week

In fairness, I think Teclis is the real issue here rather than LRL (although playing against them repeatedly is rough). It's super difficult for Slaanesh to do anything to a well guarded Teclis, although I am giving a lot of thought to painting my Synessa up next for (a) her nasty ranged MW attack and (b) infinite-range Pavane and Whispers, both of which Teclis can't do anything about if he's beyond 30". Obviously cogs will be a necessity, possibly from the Epitome. 

Today's game was actually the most entertaining either of us have had since starting 3.0. A quick preface: our 3-person meta houseruled that we would ignore the double turn in 2.0 because we tried it a few times and it was incredibly unfun. However, given how CP generation works in 3.0, we figured we couldn't really ignore the double turn anymore, and so have adopted it for our 3.0 games. I've been very lucky with priority rolls in the 3 games we've had, and today I got the first double turn we've had in 3.0, which was bad news for my opponent -- but not as bad as either of us had thought it would be.

Sigvald straight-up murdered his mountain cow (which, I won't lie, was very satisfying) as a result of the double turn, and Glutos also pulled his weight by killing a Cathallar and a unit of pikemen. The Keeper unfortunately did very little at all, which is generally how I find it goes with them. 

Despite the double turn, my opponent almost clawed it back through battleplans and Sevireth, who rivals Teclis for pure salt generated. Unless you take Synessa (another reason to get her painted up ASAP) we simply have no way of dealing with him, as he's uncatchable with his bonus 12" move in both shooting phases, and his 24" move means his threat range is crazy. His shooting is pretty potent as well, and he's got all his other shenanigans -- MWs on a 3+ on units he moves over, reducing pile-ins to 1", -1 to hit and MWs if he charges, retreat and charge, destroy faction terrain, yadda yadda yadda. Whoever writes the Lumineth rules is apparently just given carte blanche to go mental with them. 

We called it at the start of turn 4 after I won priority again -- I had summoned a second Keeper with DPs and he had Sevireth, 5 archers, Eltharion and a Loremaster left. Despite his low numbers the VPs were extremely close -- I think he was 4-5 ahead when we called it, but turn 4 would have seen his whole army bar Sevireth wiped out. 

Edited by LeonBox
  • Like 3

After some ruminating, and frankly getting past some salt for the state of the faction, I've come up with the following list to try out for my next few games:

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Invaders Host
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (225)
- General
- Command Trait: Skin-taker
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (115)
- Artefact: The Rod of Misrule
Glutos Orscollion, Lord of Gluttony (475)
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Battle Rapture
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (265)

Battleline
11 x Blissbarb Archers (180)
5 x Hellstriders with Claw-spears (135)
5 x Hellstriders with Claw-spears (135)

Units
10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (370)
- Reinforced x 1

Endless Spells & Invocations
Dreadful Visage (90)

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment
Warlord

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89

The Karkadrak Lord and Sorcerer Lord combo is an old favorite of mine from 2E which should still be effective in the new edition. I sacrifice some potential output on the Karkadrak to make him a tanky SOB with stacked oracular visions and mystic shield (plus all-out defense if needed), 5+ ward, and healing from Skin-Taker. This will be a front-liner to contest the mid-field that is also capable of dealing with fragile or unsupported units with Daemonic Power up.

Sorcerer lord holds the Rod (giggity) and is a buff bot for the Karkadrak lord.

Glutos and Sigvald are the only two cost-efficient models in-faction IMO, so they're here. Glutos for utility and Sigvald for damage.

Twinsouls to front line and screen for the sorcerer lord. High volume of attacks may be able to get around the 3+ ignore -1 rend saves now common in the game. No LoP to grant rerolls to hit on demand, but they're tough enough with all out defense to survive a couple of rounds of combat hopefully, so I'm thinking I can get away with it until their nativel rerolls turn on.

Hellstriders to screen or cap side objectives as needed, archers for depravity pts. Visage is a flex slot for endless spells, I'll try a few different ones but visage seems best to me right now.

This list will be weak to massed mortal wounds both at melee and at range, but to be frank nothing in faction solves that. Also probably weak to Archaeon or Nagash lists barring Gluto's control spell, but if those types of lists turn out to be popular I'll probably just start running Archaeon myself.

Any comments or ideas are welcome.

Edited by Cambyses
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elazar The Glorified said:

The Chaos Lord and Sorcerer Lord aren't able to be generals as they're coalition units so you'll need to have a bit of a re-jig to make it work. 😕

Damn that's too bad. I need to read more carefully. Back to the drawing board then.

I feel like I know the answer to this question, but just want to confirm...

Heroes off the board that don't arrive until the movement phase can't do heroic actions (since they happen in the hero phase), correct?

i.e., I couldn't have Sigvald outflanking via Lurid Haze, say he's doing his finest hour, and then arrive in the movement phase?

14 minutes ago, dicebod said:

I feel like I know the answer to this question, but just want to confirm...

Heroes off the board that don't arrive until the movement phase can't do heroic actions (since they happen in the hero phase), correct?

i.e., I couldn't have Sigvald outflanking via Lurid Haze, say he's doing his finest hour, and then arrive in the movement phase?

Correct.  It's under 3.1 for Reserve Units. 

10 hours ago, KrispyXIV said:

Correct.  It's under 3.1 for Reserve Units. 

This is also a strong incentive not to Lurid Haze Glutos, as he loses his ward save. It's also rough going second against a shooty army in turn 1, as he doesn't get his ward save until your hero phase. 

Since everyone is using Synessa it seems, I'd recommend looking at bringing in a Chimera and Varanguard as they pair quite nicely with The Voice of Slaanesh Ability.

**actually, does anyone know how The Voice of Slaanesh ability works if I use a second or more command ability on the same friendly unit?**

Edited by whispersofblood
  • Like 2