Tyrion, in light reborn!

12 hours ago, Morglum Ironhide said:

Hey hey, that's Malerion's territory. 

I actually have a totally crazy out-there wish that they will somehow re-write/retcon Malerion's current story line and make him go all mad and primal, and he ends up following some giant dark menacing form in the shadows... AND HE'S LAUNCHED AS A DESTRUCTION FACTION! :)

so the original high and mighty better than thou dark elf, the one that had a superiority complex and enslaved everyone, the Elf that was reborn as not only the Phoenix King but the ever loving Eternity King, the guy who both split apart and reunited the elf species as a whole is now abandoning his elves and instead taking on snot nosed goblins as his worshipers?

Didn't Malekith go through enough in the old world, or do you have to embarrass him more?

Really, though, I think a shadow demon army in destruction would be good! I just don't think that Malerion is the guy  for the job.

Edited by Acid_Nine

9 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

so the original high and mighty better than thou dark elf, the one that had a superiority complex and enslaved everyone, the Elf that was reborn as not only the Phoenix King but the ever loving Eternity King, the guy who both split apart and reunited the elf species as a whole is now abandoning his elves and instead taking on snot nosed goblins as his worshipers?

Didn't Malekith go through enough in the old world, or do you have to embarrass him more?

Really, though, I think a shadow demon army in destruction would be good! I just don't think that Malerion is the guy  for the job.

At the same time, does Order really need another Aelf book with a different colour scheme?

Also I don't see driven completely mad into a primal rage as embarrassing. 

Edited by Morglum Ironhide

On 1/7/2020 at 12:00 AM, Dollface said:

I'm 99% sure that this is a Babylon 5 reference. One alien species has big fan hairdos like this helmet and in one episode you find out the main character from that species is using a small 3rd arm to cheat in a card game.

A bit off topic, but it was not an arm... And he has 6 of them x)

Yes, Slaanesh would be pleased.

Just now, Morglum Ironhide said:

At the same time, does Order really need another Aelf book with a different colour scheme?

It will be interesting to see what they do about the aelf bloat. i'm thinking they're going to finally cull the remaining aelf races like Scourge privateers and Wanderers before they drop those new armies.

That's why I see Cities of Sigmar as a preemptive legacy compendium. Eventually everything there is gonna be replaced by Realmguilds, Kurnothi and Shadowkin.

I don't think they care about Elf bloat as Elves sell. Yeah MAlekith got in my opinion awesome story-arc in End Times, and he was first to seek out Elves in Age of Sigmar, he went through a lot to unify elves and give them chance to surive then went on a quest to find Elves souls. Surely he can make them into something powerful, majestic and shadowy but he isn't bland bad guy anymore. Maybe he hates Sigmar and sees him as usurper hence Gladiatorium twist byt he is more of dark anithero now, which is great. And works great with Teclis not being good guy at all - but all about the ends that justify the means mindset. I think Malerion and Teclis are more two sides of the same coin then Tyrion - who is just this good, purfied God of Light.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Basically Elves are to fantasy, what space marines are to 40K, they are going to keep making new variations of them so long as people keep buying them.

I though those were Stormcast?

*"GROUND MARINES, CHAAAARGE" shouts in the distance*

If anything, aelfs are eldar, because... Well, they almost literally are, pointy ears and pointy hats are still here x)

42 minutes ago, Zeblasky said:

I though those were Stormcast?

*"GROUND MARINES, CHAAAARGE" shouts in the distance*

If anything, aelfs are eldar, because... Well, they almost literally are, pointy ears and pointy hats are still here x)

Ah, but its not about their aesthetic, but about their popularity as a whole.
Certainly Stormcast are emulating the Space Marine Aesthetic, and have taken their same place as the marketing poster child. However if you think about warhammer as a whole, Elves are consistently one of the most popular groups of factions.

They are up there with Chaos as the only race to have three different armies in the Old World. High Elves, Wood Elves, and Dark Elves. Humans only had two, the three Chaos Armies were much more distinct from one another than the elven ones, and poor Dwarves lost their evil kin after a while. Age of Sigmar has continued this trend to the point where people have argued that Elves should be their own grand alliance. We've got what? Blood Elves, Sea Elves, Tree Elves (if you count Sylvaneth) and potentially Beast Elves and Pointy Elves coming up, plus the remnants of the three older factions. That's again almost as many flavours as you have within Chaos, and more than you currently have in either Death and Destruction.

If you include 40K in the equation there have also been very popular armies of Space Elves and Evil Space Elves, in addition to all of their fantasy kin. The Space Orks have never had as much variety, and the poor Space Dwarves not just got removed from the game, but leant their name to the very process by which things do get removed from the game.

I thus think that its safe to say that Elves/Eldar as a whole are second in popularity only to the Space Marines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

Ah, but its not about their aesthetic, but about their popularity as a whole.
Certainly Stormcast are emulating the Space Marine Aesthetic, and have taken their same place as the marketing poster child. However if you think about warhammer as a whole, Elves are consistently one of the most popular groups of factions.

They are up there with Chaos as the only race to have three different armies in the Old World. High Elves, Wood Elves, and Dark Elves. Humans only had two, the three Chaos Armies were much more distinct from one another than the elven ones, and poor Dwarves lost their evil kin after a while. Age of Sigmar has continued this trend to the point where people have argued that Elves should be their own grand alliance. We've got what? Blood Elves, Sea Elves, Tree Elves (if you count Sylvaneth) and potentially Beast Elves and Pointy Elves coming up, plus the remnants of the three older factions. That's again almost as many flavours as you have within Chaos, and more than you currently have in either Death and Destruction.

If you include 40K in the equation there have also been very popular armies of Space Elves and Evil Space Elves, in addition to all of their fantasy kin. The Space Orks have never had as much variety, and the poor Space Dwarves not just got removed from the game, but leant their name to the very process by which things do get removed from the game.

I thus think that its safe to say that Elves/Eldar as a whole are second in popularity only to the Space Marines.

don't forget space clown elves

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

15 hours ago, Morglum Ironhide said:

Also I don't see driven completely mad into a primal rage as embarrassing. 

well, I see it as silly. Son of Anaerion,  Malekith falling into a primal rage and controlling a bunch of goblins when his entire storyline is about aelves.  If he fell to destruction with an army of shadow elves then sure, I could believe it, but honestly as a growing Malekith fanboy I just don't see him controlling goblins or even throwing his money in with the orcs. Using and controlling them I could believe, as long as he has his chosen people being his main army.

Honestly the "need another book" in X faction can be used for everyone. Did nagash need to have another skeleton army? did Chaos need more mortals? does order really need a new seraphon book?

Yeah, I forgot about Harlequins. I've never played Eldar in 40K, so had forgotten they were their own thing, rather than part of the craftworlds. That makes between six and ten different elven armies across both systems then!

Edit: Not that I'm complaining mind! I love Elves, so am perfectly happy for there to be lots of different types!

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

No one is going to mention the Exodites?

I love the idea of Exodites as much as the next person, but are they actually a functional faction? I know they don't have models, but do they actually have rules this edition?

All of Age of Sigmar's Elven factions (DoK, Syl, IDK, CoS) are completely playable, functional factions. We are pretty sure that Pointy Elves and Kurnothi will soon be too when they get their books. If Exodites are in a state of waiting for a book then I'd agree, but they are sort of the Ur-ancestor to all of our speculation about Light and Shadow Elves. If I were to guess I'd say we'll see the Shadow Elves before the 40K lot see their exodites, though I'd love to be wrong!

15 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I love the idea of Exodites as much as the next person, but are they actually a functional faction? I know they don't have models, but do they actually have rules this edition?

All of Age of Sigmar's Elven factions (DoK, Syl, IDK, CoS) are completely playable, functional factions. We are pretty sure that Pointy Elves and Kurnothi will soon be too when they get their books. If Exodites are in a state of waiting for a book then I'd agree, but they are sort of the Ur-ancestor to all of our speculation about Light and Shadow Elves. If I were to guess I'd say we'll see the Shadow Elves before the 40K lot see their exodites, though I'd love to be wrong!

I believe the last time the exodites had rules was 2nd (maybe 3rd?) edition. however they still exist.

On that note, there is a faction with models and rules (although they can't work on their own in 8th edition 40k due to haveing lost the rules for HQs) space elf pirates, the Eldar Corsairs. plus they are playable in the battlefleet gothic PC games.

that makes it, what 6 to 11 elven armies?

19 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

I believe the last time the exodites had rules was 2nd (maybe 3rd?) edition. however they still exist.

On that note, there is a faction with models and rules (although they can't work on their own in 8th edition 40k due to haveing lost the rules for HQs) space elf pirates, the Eldar Corsairs. plus they are playable in the battlefleet gothic PC games.

that makes it, what 6 to 11 elven armies?

So we have:

WFB: High Elves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves (3 armies)

40K: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Harlequins, Ynnari (4 Armies)

Putative 40K: Exodites, Corsairs (2 armies)

AoS major factions: Cities of Sigmar, Daughters of Khaine, Sylvaneth, Idoneth (4 Armies)

Putative AoS armies: Kurnothi, Pointy Elves, Shadow Elves (3 armies)

AoS minor factions: Wanderers, Darkling Covens, Scourge Privateers, Shadowblades, Order Serpentis, Order Draconis, Phoenix Temple, Swifthawk Agents, Eldritch Council, Lion Rangers (10 Armies)

I make that 26 different flavours of Elves, so I think we beat both the Space Marines and the Stormcast combined!

22 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

So we have:

AoS major factions: Cities of Sigmar, Daughters of Khaine, Sylvaneth, Idoneth (4 Armies)

AoS minor factions: Wanderers, Darkling Covens, Scourge Privateers, Shadowblades, Order Serpentis, Order Draconis, Phoenix Temple, Swifthawk Agents, Eldritch Council, Lion Rangers (10 Armies)

I make that 26 different flavours of Elves, so I think we beat both the Space Marines and the Stormcast combined!

the mayflies (ex-mayflies?) and mon-keigh could never compete in the first place *arrogant elf noises*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

So we have:

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

• Like 3